swingin' the ftse: 2009

Rejected 4500 several times today - I'm out.

pb - interesting and fairly well lining up with the key 9000 level. Got close(ish) earlier but took fright it seems (so far anyway).

good trading

jon

I find it hard to believe we can rally into a recession (though that's what we have been doing for over a week).

is this not something to do with the US govt propping up the their indices with buy orders when things start to look a bit moody?

i'm sure i heard something like that on inthemoneystocks

Thought for the day - FTSE Futures hitting significant daily downtrend (looking at Nov / Feb swing high?)

Hit yesterday and bounced off a little...

Coming in today at approx 4467...interesting to see how this one pans out...could be a good swing position for a couple weeks or so

4500 proving a tough nut to crack. Keep your eyes on US - the dow was about 8925 on ftse close, so a close well above that might see 4500 taken out by the opening gap. That'd set the cat amongst the pigeons :)

good trading

jon

do people use volume data when trading/analysing FTSE charts?

ig index or ig markets dont have volume for indices.

I'm not sure any brokers have volume data. You can get it at ADVFN for free on a delayed feed, or pay for a live feed. Same with ProRealTime charting service.

What a rocket-ship ride over the last 2 weeks.

We are indicating highly over-bought short-term, and S&P making short-term double top or tweezers pattern. Perhaps we're about to run back down towards 4410. That would bring price back to meet the 200EMA, 38% retracement and possible gap support from 15/06. There's a secondary December 08 high there that might support too. After that, swing high 4353 could be support.

Might be decent short opportunity until we establish a higher swing low. Higher than 4096.1 would be essential for the bulls but there are intermediate swing lows that would also be positive. Maybe some people think we might go straight back down to 4096 and straight through?

DOW closed aon Friday around 50points higher than where it was on FTSE close. If US futures hold those levels early Monday morning then FTSE should open strong and challenge 4600.

Short seems tempting, but I guess a lot of people are a bit burnt having been tempted that way last week. Interesting times!!

good trading

jon

Hi tomorton,
What level do you think we go tomarrow for ftse 100. 4500 after 10 days of bull run or 4650

Hi dailytrader81 - Down to 4500 or up to 4600? I honestly don't know, and I try to confine myself (though its hard to resist) to predicting what I should do, not what the market will do. If the market goes straight up (and the US closed strongly as Jon says) I will stay in cash and spend all day wishing I was long. If the market drops and respects the Fiday high 4603.2 but breaches the low 4536.4, I shall go short with the high as the stop, with 4410 as first target if I'm lucky. If it breaches the high early but later closes below the low, I shall likewise be short. But the essence of trend-following (as I try hard to stick to) is that you must wait for the market to show its hand before you get in in the same direction.

DOW closed aon Friday around 50points higher than where it was on FTSE close. If US futures hold those levels early Monday morning then FTSE should open strong and challenge 4600.

Short seems tempting, but I guess a lot of people are a bit burnt having been tempted that way last week. Interesting times!!

good trading

jon

US futures we can see them before 2.30pm monday?

before usa market opens at 2.30pm british time... can we look somewhere to indicate to us how the usa market will open? i keep hearing about us futures early in morning...but i dont fully understand...

thanks.

jonboy123

if you're using SB just look at the DOW quote which will reflect the futures.

jon

thanks.
yeah im spreadbetting.
dow/wall street not showing much guidance at 9102
is dow looking strong?

Dow closes positive but only after somebody starts buying in the last 10, minutes and drives it from -20 to +18. A naked example of the US Government manipulating another positive close? Where's dr.blix? This can't be institutions sweeping up knocked-down stocks at a discount, the market is up 11% from 2 weeks ago.

But this surely tells us something. If the prospect of even a modest -20 Dow points close off the top of such a strong rally triggers a buy programme, the US is clearly convinced that the market is about to absolutely tank, and the future hangs in the balance: it seems like just 20pts and 10 minutes separated the US from disaster tonight.

How long can the US Government keep this up? Another day? A week? Maybe, but then what? I look to open shorts at the first signal.

Surely the US are making the situation worse in the long run? According to PRT all these moves are on very light volume - perhaps most of that volume is the US government :LOL:

Ok, I am a newbie, so it's all new to me, but seems they're playing with fire.

Now this was a scary thought too TOM; "it seems like just 20pts and 10 minutes separated the US from disaster tonight." :eek: :rolleyes:

Could I ask what a signal will look like for you Tom? I am contemplating shorts already at 4610 area, depending on PA. Damn, I usually get it wrong, but I'm gonna have a go!!

Morning Geofract - short signals for me today - ignoring Monday as range within Friday's, at least according to Sharescope data - one or other of the following -

standard swing - Friday high respected but low breached by PA (not necessarily close)

whiplash - gap up above high, then strong retreat to close down on today's open and in the lower 50% of today's range

key reversal - Friday's high breached by PA but close below Friday's low

Away we go!

Well, there was no gap up above the high, which we have already breached, so swing and whiplash shorts are strictly speaking off for today. This leaves the key reversal option, requiring a close below 4576, but that's only 30-odd points away so by no means unlikely.