Live Trades

By the way, remember when you said not to buy INTU. I bought yesterday 300 @ 98.17

IMG_9463_copy.png

As far as i remember..i said i would wait for confirmation..which happened today to the upside..and which stopped at res. level marked on chart

i see you are using the opening range in your strategy..good idea:)

i would still look at shorting if drops back below trendline tomorrow..with tight stop as mentioned

Attachments

• Screen Shot 12-29-15 at 04.47 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 12-29-15 at 04.47 PM.PNG
    68.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
As far as i remember..i said i would wait for confirmation..which happened today to the upside..and which stopped at res. level marked on chart

i would still look at shorting if drops back below trendline tomorrow..with tight stop as mentioned

In the meantime, you lost out on (1-(99.71/98.17)) 1.56% profit in 1 day. I do not like shorting. Speaking of avoiding risk, shorting seems riskier than you would allow.

In the meantime, you lost out on (1-(99.71/98.17)) 1.56% profit in 1 day. I do not like shorting. Speaking of avoiding risk, shorting seems riskier than you would allow.

i am losing out every day..but that is due to my own personal circumstances..and what is will be until i am ready..so no good pretending

for the want of a better word..i am just biding my time..keeping in touch with the markets and keeping the mind sharp

shorting is no riskier than long when daytrading

Let us use AIG. For today only, the risk looks as follows.

The Confidence (p<=z) comes in intervals, not a singular value. However, I have been using the bottom value in the interval because it yields a worst case scenario.

P_{0.95} (X>=1) = 61.5% - 97.8%. The true value lies somewhere in the middle. This says I am 95% confidence that the probability of a successful trade is somewhere between 61.5% (worst case scenario) and 97.8% (best case scenario). For this equity today, it is most likely 83.8%. This means that the worst case scenario for an unprofitable trade is 38.5%, i.e., any loss, not necessarily an indicator for the size.

My confidence about the expected return is 95% confident that 61.5% of the trades will be between 2.5% - 8.4%. (1.025 - 1.084). CI about the standard deviation is (0.042 - 0.085).

5% loss = 0.95. 1.025-0.95=0.75/0.84 = 0.892 z-scores.
The area under this curve maps 100% of all probabilities.
Screen_Shot_2015_12_29_at_2_28_49_PM.png
=
Screen_Shot_2015_12_29_at_2_35_32_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2015_12_29_at_2_31_28_PM.png
=
Screen_Shot_2015_12_29_at_2_36_47_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015_12_29_at_2_31_28_PM.png
= 0.5
Screen_Shot_2015_12_29_at_2_40_37_PM.png
=
Screen_Shot_2015_12_29_at_2_41_33_PM.png

The worst case scenario for losing 5%. 95% confident that there is a 18.7% that I could lose up to 5%.
The worst case scenario for losing 10%. 95% confident that there is a 8.1% that I could lose up to 10%.
The worst case scenario for losing 15%. 95% confident that there is a 2.23% that I could lose up to 15%.
The worst case scenario for losing 20%. 95% confident that there is a 0.58% that I could lose up to 20%.

so..the closest one is 5%..so..there is a 18.7% that AIG can move 5% from its current price..correct?

my setup for AIG today

short trade identified but criteria not met

long trade identified and criteria met..risk 0.13..reward 0.50..actual reward 0.40 based on setup for daytrading

i think no matter what method you use..you must believe in it and take the trades once the criteria is met

Attachments

• Screen Shot 12-29-15 at 07.26 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 12-29-15 at 07.26 PM.PNG
    4 KB · Views: 105
so..the closest one is 5%..so..there is a 18.7% that AIG can move 5% from its current price..correct?

Correct. That is the worst case scenario. It is a probability density function. So there is a 18.7% probability that it will lose anywhere from 0-5%. The probability that it will lose exactly 5% is much less. 3.28% for P(0.8<z<0.767) or a 5% loss.

Additionally, I chose the risk for possible reward of 3%. There was a 61-97% probability that I would make money, versus a 18.7% maximum that I would lose a maximum of 5%.

Correct. That is the worst case scenario. It is a probability density function. So there is a 18.7% probability that it will lose anywhere from 0-5%. The probability that it will lose exactly 5% is much less. 3.28% for P(0.8<z<0.767) or a 5% loss.

Additionally, I chose the risk for possible reward of 3%. There was a 61-97% probability that I would make money, versus a 18.7% maximum that I would lose a maximum of 5%.

Interesting..i would like to see your trades for aig for 6 months..and see how consistent they were..but i do not expect you to show anyone your trading results

my thinking..wrong or right..is that the diversification is saving you..you would not be profitable trading one stock with your approach..or even 3 to 5?

Interesting..i would like to see your trades for aig for 6 months..and see how consistent they were..but i do not expect you to show anyone your trading results

my thinking..wrong or right..is that the diversification is saving you..you would not be profitable trading one stock with your approach..or even 3 to 5?

You would be correct. I do not trade a single financial instrument. That does not seem prudent. You were talking about overtrading earlier. That is the epitome of it in my eyes. That is akin to putting your life savings on "00" at the roulette wheel.

I do not trade "3 or even 5". I currently trade 1,214 equities between the NYSE and NASDAQ. It is based upon certain criteria. I avoid stocks with an average 30 day volume less than 500K. I also avoid stocks with a share price less than $10. There are other criteria. However, I sometimes break these rules. A major rule that I almost never break has to do with the age of the stock.

I might be able to send you a list that changes regularly if you are interested.

Last edited:
If I buy 5 stocks, then there is an extremely low probability they will all be failures; thus, diversification helps hedge against overall losses. The probability that all 5 will be losers is 3.125%.

Is that the reason why hundreds and thousands of stocks simultaneously go down when the SP500 goes down ? Your calculation is flawed ...

Is that the reason why hundreds and thousands of stocks simultaneously go down when the SP500 goes down ? Your calculation is flawed ...

Not all go down..defensive stocks are always in favour during sudden drops in sp500

We can not say his methods are flawed unless we see the results..which i already mentioned he is not expected to show anyone..so far his trades are working out for him

I would like to see a few losing trades though..i have a loser coming up..will gladly post it when my 10 DNR jan15 3.00 calls expire worthless..which is looking very probable now..and i will also explain why it does not bother me one little bit if they expire worthless

You would be correct. I do not trade a single financial instrument. That does not seem prudent. You were talking about overtrading earlier. That is the epitome of it in my eyes. That is akin to putting your life savings on "00" at the roulette wheel.

I do not trade "3 or even 5". I currently trade 1,214 equities between the NYSE and NASDAQ. It is based upon certain criteria. I avoid stocks with an average 30 day volume less than 500K. I also avoid stocks with a share price less than $10. There are other criteria. However, I sometimes break these rules. A major rule that I almost never break has to do with the age of the stock.

I might be able to send you a list that changes regularly if you are interested.

Yes..i am always interested in how other traders make money..for..the day you think you know it all is the day you start losing..send me a list when you can..no hurry..who knows..i might even have a few suggestions that may help you improve on what you are doing

nothing ventured..nothing gained

Didnt say all ...

I never said you did:)

It is irrelevant..all that matters is net positive results..it is not the method that is good..it is the trader..main reason why most vendors can not really help anyone beyond the basics

a narrow mind and a wide mouth usually go together..general statement..not directed at your post

To be honest..i can see how hh's method can work..and here is my reasoning..i bought 100 shares in VXX recently..knowing that VXX is going to move opposite to SPX most of the time..i said to myself..if the trade goes against me i am not worried..as long as my nax drawdown for all non daytrades does not exceed $1,500

what happened..SPX rose after my entry..VXX dropped..i was down close to $300 at one stage..but i waited..as my max drawdown for all open non daytrades was not hit..

I closed the trade for around $260 profit..will check exact profit tonight

so..i know what he is talking about..but of course you must have the correct mindset to trade this way..not everyone can handle drawdowns..which are an integral part of a successful trading method

To be honest..i can see how hh's method can work..and here is my reasoning..i bought 100 shares in VXX recently

If it worked once doesn't mean it will continue to do so , especially if there is no stop loss while on the other hand there is a target profit set just at 1.5% away .

If it worked once doesn't mean it will continue to do so , especially if there is no stop loss while on the other hand there is a target profit set just at 1.5% away .

hh has used probability analysis..which i think might be similar to volatility analysis for options..bell curve stuff and reversion to the mean..he will have to confirm if i am right or wrong

i am not saying his method is not risky..every trading approach has risk involved..but some approaches can be less risky..and how you find out which ones is by using statistics..this is why the brainy guys who are good at maths get well paid jobs

as for no stops..yes..it can work well..or it can work bad for you..but what will have a big effect on the outcome is what instrument you trade..again..this is where the good trader comes in..some are much better than others at screening low risk candidates

all that matters is the results..everything else we may think is irrelevant