Dow 2007

If you have a plan to protect yourself, then whatever the market does (and it can do anything) you have nothing to fear. The market does its thing. Your job is merely to control yourself, to define your risk and degree of involvment. If there is a sudden collapse of this parabolic move and you are long, so what? Assuming you had a stop in the market, you were out at -10 or -20 (or whatever loss you had already defined) and waiting patiently for another opportunity. Those who are terrified and make rash decisions are the ones that pay you. It is our job to capitalise on mistakes, volatile emotions and fear. There is always another opportunity and usually a better price.

People can be made uncomfortable by the market because it presents no boundaries. You are free to trade for one minute or hours on end, once a year or several thousand times a day. Your work rate does not pay in the conventional sense. So you need a plan to set boundaries in this weird abstract unstructured environment. If your plan has a solution for anything the market throws at you and a way of defining and structuring the price action in a way that makes sense to you, trading will become peaceful and objective.

I'd advise against developing an intraday trading plan which assumes anything about the stage the market is in. It's never too high or too low and it can keep going or turn on a dime. In fact, if you are the type of day trader who likes chipping away for frequent small gains, there are almost always good longs and shorts to be had every day. A good setup will work in any type of market.

However, while it is unhealthy to assume anything about the market condition, if there is an 'obvious' longer term trend in effect* then you are can consider biasing your trades to take advantage until conditions change. But you need to define a 'change of condition' in your terms: e.g you might say that until a 30 minute bar closes below the mid point of the last three days' action the longer term up trend is intact.

Then you just have to work out what must the market needs to do to cause you to enter and exit. Let it define your trades on your terms. Live in the present. It's a joy when one truly accepts that he doesn't have to predict what the market should or will do when he can simply react to what it is doing.

Apologies for my wearing an ill-fitting guru hat again and no offence intended.

*it will be equally 'obvious' that the market was ripe for a savage three day correction, about three days after it starts. :)
But then again I am a terrible position trader, so I scalp for ticks all day long and have a delightful mousemat callous to show for it. Eeuw.

I'd disagree about your assessment of the guru hat. I think it is fitting rather well! Thank you again for your input. Regarding the psychology aspect, I've been reading Mark Douglas again - results should manifest in my P/L shortly. Furthermore, I've developed a new method which I would hope you would be good enough to comment on. I think it addresses some of the main issues, however it doesn't trade very often. Perhaps this is what is needed.

Hi all

Thanks for the support last week. CounterViolent, Frugi, FireWalker, Atilla, Dinos, fibonelli, and many others have given some good advice and been suitably frank regarding my progress. (no preference expressed, and apologies if I missed anybody out) I did say I would work on formulating a tighter system over the weekend, and work on my trading psychology also. The following is the result - it could use a little refinement, and I would appreciate comments and feedback. I've also worked my way through a good part of "Trading for a Living" and "Trading in the Zone" - interesting reads.

Instrument: DJIA (rolling cash, SB)

Strategy
At 1500, view 15 min chart. Observe MACD histogram to determine long term
trend. If trend is up, look to buy. If trend is down, look to short.

Examine the 5 minute chart to determine support and resistance levels and
confirm trend. Establish a "zone" where you would consider buying (ie around
support). Consider stop loss levels and profit targets. The zone must be
within the range of the last 2 30 min bars. Do not buy above the range of the
last hour.

Look at the 1 minute chart, which has 8 and 21 period DEMAs. If the 8 period
DEMA becomes greater than the 21 period DEMA while price is in the zone and a
long signal was given earlier, buy. Only trade if a sensible stop loss is
within 10 tics of entry. Maximum risk per trade: 10 tics. (DEMA method courtesy the excellent Dinos)

While in the trade, overlay the DEMA on 2, 3, 5, and 10 minute charts to get
successive entry confirmations. Pyramiding could be added later, but presently
would present inappropriate risk, except in the case where stop loss on the
first position was +14 (4 point spread, plus 10 point S/L on the second
position).

Every 15 mins, check long term trend on 15 min MACD. Write this down. Every 5
mins, consider possible entry zones in direction of the trend. Watch 1 min
chart for 5 min, look for DEMA crosses in direction of trend. While in a
trade, only rely on DEMA and RSI/CCI divergence as exit indicators on 1,2,3,5
minute charts (divergence must persist over 15 minutes, ideally with 3 peaks /
troughs).

Rules
No trading against the 30 min trend.
No averaging down. (goes without saying really)
Maximum risk 10 pips.
Maximum daily loss 30 pips. (should be appropriate to my account)
Use DEMA crossovers, RSI / CCI divergence on 1 minute to exit.
No new trades before 1500 or after 2030
Breakeven stoploss at +10. Trailing stoploss (50%) at 20.

Example

15 min MACD up. 5 min shows support at 14500.

DEMA crossover on 1 min. Buy at 13502. Stoploss at 13492 (below support).
Price moves to 13512. SL moved to breakeven. Price moves to 13522. SL moved to
13512. Price moves to 13514, then advances to 13525. Stoploss moved to 13514.
Price moves to 13540, then retraces to 13535. 20 minute RSI diveregence
confirmed, exit at 13530 for +28. Maximum risk 10.

I would be particularly interested on comments regarding the italicised portions. I could do with extra feedback here.

Given the choices of buy, hold, or sell, I think this system is sufficient in that it only offers 2/3 options at any given time. Experienced traders have pointed out that I do not do very well with the freedom to trade a market both ways. If I see indicators of a major reversal contradicting the 15 min MACD histogram trend, I'll cover positions and stay out. I shall not bet the farm on a short in an uptrend.

Anyone care to comment on the efficacy of such a system?

Got the makings of a good and profitable system here LL if you can stick to it imho. A lot to do over the trading period, so will need the self discipline bit not to doze off or get sloppy !
Good luck

when learning to walk a tightrope it is stretched 1 foot off the ground for safety,as you get better it goes higher and a safety net is put up,be happy to learn not to fall first

afternoon all,

no views on my end today. will most likely stand aside and start having a look at trading opps (still paper) until after 5. want to see how it opens and what it does.

good trading

j

afternoon all,

no views on my end today. will most likely stand aside and start having a look at trading opps (still paper) until after 5. want to see how it opens and what it does.

good trading

j

Hi everyone,

Carrying on from last week I have now closed my short positions for DOW as 569 was breached.

Reflecting on it from last week and looking at the charts fwiw I feel we are in for some sort of retracement this week from the highs. I was expecting this last week but obviously it didn't happen. So sticking with my plans I'm expecting at least a pull back to 13500 and if that is breached maybe 200+ pip fall by end of this week.

However, given the strength of the market after a minor retracement I'm guessing the market will touch 13700 by June.

I will watch it for a while maybe all of today and perhaps enter a trade based on direction either in the afternoon session or tomorrow.

Good luck everyone.

afternoon all,

good trading

j

I'm not expecting major moves today...

I just entered a small short 13585 ~ cash 13550
Edit: and out with -7... it definitely wasn't a high probability short... going to stay until some clearer signals

Last edited:
Hi guys

Just come to the screen. Referring to my earlier post, I see that the 15 min bars MACD histogram shows a bullish trend. Looking to trade in the directionof the trend, I identified some congestion around 40/45 (bid).

1 minute chart had bullish DEMA crossover at 547 (cash). Limit order to enter at said price just been tripped.

Stoploss set at 537 (just below the support wick from half past).

Position currently at +1 on entry (-3 after spread).

Best of luck!

Edit - in case that wasn't clear, I'm LONG from 547 cash, SL 537.

Hi guys

Just come to the screen. Referring to my earlier post, I see that the 15 min bars MACD histogram shows a bullish trend. Looking to trade in the directionof the trend, I identified some congestion around 40/45 (bid).

1 minute chart had bullish DEMA crossover at 547 (cash). Limit order to enter at said price just been tripped.

Best of luck!

good entry there! now don't be in a hurry to take those profits...

I'm not expecting major moves today...

I just entered a small short 13585 ~ cash 13550
Edit: and out with -7... it definitely wasn't a high probability short... going to stay until some clearer signals

good luck.

As much as there are setups for scalping today, I am not focusing enough. had an OK day on cable this morning, but made a mistake and took an early exit and left pips on the table. when this happens, for some reason I feel worse than with a loss, so just closed platform.

havent been able to focus either on FX or here, and so wont trade either paper(dow) or real (fx).

good day.

j

Hi guys

Best of luck!

Out 565 with +18! (not meaning to boast, but this is pretty good for those who have been following my performance of late. I lost -5 on the FTSE earlier so up +13)

I went back to bed after the FTSE trade - too tired to trade effectively.

Oh, and I exited after this sideways trading range seemed to have a bearish tilt (MACD divergence, CCI overbought).

My system tells me I can't sell yet, but I'm not holding a long at this price.

Afternoon, morning all.

Gone short @ 13560 cash.

Impressive run up and all looks to rosy considering worsening economic outlook.
Nasdaq caught abid ahead of the DOW, so maybe a rotation will happen with some downward pressure.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$INDU&p=D&yr=1&mn=0&dy=0&id=p20609370505

My simplistic view of the chart says the MACD is about to flash (another) sell signal. Maybe this one will not be reversed so quick.

13350 before 13700 is my call.

15 min MACD bullish.

5 min chart shows strong support at 555.

Looking for a long around there when confirmed by bullish DEMA crossover on the 1 min chart.

EDIT - scrub the above, entry signal never given, next 15 min bar closes in 2 mins.

EDIT2 - the MACD histogram on the 15 min is still bullish, and support at 555 held. Looking for an entry around that level on bullish confirmation (DEMA cross on 1 min)

This is a little odd. But on the bright side, I got out of the last trade at almost the best possible point (although I'd still be in profit if I had held it right up to now.)

This system doesn't trade often, which is good, because I don't want to trade often.

Last edited:
Okay. Last post is fairly meaningless now. Looking for a test of 550. My system didn't let me short in the last half our, so even though I wanted to I went by the system.

Looking for a long entry when DEMA crossover occurrs. 15 min MACD histogram is still bullisg, and has infact just turned positive, which I understand to be bullish indeed.

The 5 minute chart shows LHs/LLs. Support test at 550 is very likely. If support holds, will buy subject to DEMA cross. Otherwise, will wait for my 15 minute "trend" indicator to turn bearish before I consider shorts.

Anyone else with an undeclared position?

Gone short @ 13560 cash.

Impressive run up and all looks to rosy considering worsening economic outlook.
Nasdaq caught abid ahead of the DOW, so maybe a rotation will happen with some downward pressure.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$INDU&p=D&yr=1&mn=0&dy=0&id=p20609370505

My simplistic view of the chart says the MACD is about to flash (another) sell signal. Maybe this one will not be reversed so quick.

13350 before 13700 is my call.

Hi pareto, and welcome to T2W. Good outlook, and I see that short will be doing quite well now.

Keep on posting!

Long from 558. S/L below the market at 548. Target around 70.

Stopped out -10. Sad panda.

Just checked 15 min bars. They turned bearish just before I entered that trade, and I overlooked that. Silly me.

Edit: +3 for the day

Last edited: