Wallstreet1928 Analysis & live calls on FTSE,DAX,S&P...aimed to help New traders

Status
Not open for further replies.
WATCH OUT -

LOW VOLUME ALERT = FAKE BREAKOUTS

Indices are so choppy and something isn't right

I have decided to sit it out until the rest of the day until i get the right set up

S&P chart

Attachments

• confused.png
    confused.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Does anyone know how you get the volume data on IG Index? I tick the box on the charting tools settings for it but nothing appears?

ive not heard about that? whats the up tick rule?

cheers.

ban on short selling basically .......................................................

look at goldman and tell me what you think?

it seems to be breaking out on the upside

Attachments

• goldman confused.png
    goldman confused.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 125
shall i short RIo tinto for a 3 rd time in a day ?

NO................apparently one should always buy a triple top and sell a double top according to TA ??

Attachments

• 3rd time.png
    3rd time.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 104
ive not heard about that? whats the up tick rule?

cheers.

A Big New Uptick Rule
David Serchuk, 03.26.09, 06:00 AM EDT
The major exchanges want a new version of the old rule, designed to slow short-selling. Our experts aren't sure it's needed.

It looks like the uptick rule might return from the dead. The 1938 rule--which stated that short-sellers could only sell securities after a share price increase--was repealed in July 2007 following studies that showed it no longer had much influence once stock spreads fell to a penny after decimalization.

But as markets have shriveled, the major exchanges have banded together to try to get some version of the uptick rule back in place. On March 24, NYSE Euronext (nyse: NYX - news - people ), Nasdaq OMX Group and BATS Exchange wrote to Securities and Exchange Commission Chairwoman Mary Shapiro with a plan for a modified uptick rule.
Article Controls

While penny-pricing, aka decimalization, may have rendered the old rule moot, the exchanges propose now that short sales should be allowed only at prices that beat the current best bid. This would apply only to stocks that fall a certain amount during the day (10% is the figure mentioned) and would not apply to more liquid exchange-traded funds (the old rule never applied to such securities). The SEC will meet April 8 to discuss.

The impetus to remove the uptick rule came after the SEC conducted a pilot program that lasted from May 2, 2005, through July 3, 2007, and studied the trading patterns of 1,000 stocks no longer protected by the rule. The study concluded that there was no discernible difference in how the stocks traded, including how the stocks were short sold with or without the rule.

As former SEC Chairman Christopher Cox explained to Congress on July 24, 2008, stocks that fell like stones continued to do so even with penny-sized roadblocks along the way.

From Forbes.com

ban on short selling basically .......................................................

look at goldman and tell me what you think?

it seems to be breaking out on the upside

its breached all the resistance and is currently flying past them all!!!

A crazy move up,,, caught most of that just by chance i think lol... Thats me done for today fellaz..

A Big New Uptick Rule
David Serchuk, 03.26.09, 06:00 AM EDT
The major exchanges want a new version of the old rule, designed to slow short-selling. Our experts aren't sure it's needed.

It looks like the uptick rule might return from the dead. The 1938 rule--which stated that short-sellers could only sell securities after a share price increase--was repealed in July 2007 following studies that showed it no longer had much influence once stock spreads fell to a penny after decimalization.

But as markets have shriveled, the major exchanges have banded together to try to get some version of the uptick rule back in place. On March 24, NYSE Euronext (nyse: NYX - news - people ), Nasdaq OMX Group and BATS Exchange wrote to Securities and Exchange Commission Chairwoman Mary Shapiro with a plan for a modified uptick rule.
Article Controls

While penny-pricing, aka decimalization, may have rendered the old rule moot, the exchanges propose now that short sales should be allowed only at prices that beat the current best bid. This would apply only to stocks that fall a certain amount during the day (10% is the figure mentioned) and would not apply to more liquid exchange-traded funds (the old rule never applied to such securities). The SEC will meet April 8 to discuss.

The impetus to remove the uptick rule came after the SEC conducted a pilot program that lasted from May 2, 2005, through July 3, 2007, and studied the trading patterns of 1,000 stocks no longer protected by the rule. The study concluded that there was no discernible difference in how the stocks traded, including how the stocks were short sold with or without the rule.

As former SEC Chairman Christopher Cox explained to Congress on July 24, 2008, stocks that fell like stones continued to do so even with penny-sized roadblocks along the way.

From Forbes.com

Many thanks Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.