The Next US President

Living in civilised Surrey I can tell you there is nothing South West Trains (they are not the Brighton-London company )could do to improve their service - apart from providing seats.

Choice is one of two, flesh or metal?

1. Train driver and conductor ensuring train is kept orderly and one can buy tickets on board a feature I like as ticket machines not always in order.

2. Driver-less trains, more ticket machines and unattended stations. You still pay more as this is classed as service improvement but management at top get £2.4m bonus instead of last years piffy £1.2m.

Don't stand in the way of progress.

Notice current dispute has nothing to do with seats. Although on many occassions at peak rush hour they run 4 wagon trains instead of the usual 8 or 12. I never could understand why that is the case. Not enough cleaners, carriages at wrong location??? Whatever!!! Sack management imo. Give the franchise to the Dutch, they know how to operate trains! (y)

Coming back to Trump's deportation of illegals, do US citizens have to carry an ID card on them?

Just listening to TV they are also looking at hitting companies that employ bodies with no legal papers.

I always thought they should do that in the UK and fine these companies that don't employ the local legit bodies. That should exclude all students and tourists with their visas unable to work and overcoming a simple loop hole which both companies and governments have always turned a blind eye to. (y)

Living in civilised Surrey I can tell you there is nothing South West Trains (they are not the Brighton-London company )could do to improve their service - apart from providing seats.

Up here in't north...trains are just for photographing and spotters, last time i used one was to Manchester to watch a U2 concert back in the 90s. :LOL:

By the way, I am not a pink radical.....like most people I could be called left of centre on some issues and right of centre on others. But principles of fair play and justice and tolerance remain enduring and not for sale or rent to the latest demagogue ......and I can only hope they re-emerge in the future.
And from an atheist.....God Bless and Help America, dark days are ahead for many of your people.

True. And while I understand the impulse to make light of situations that are in fact heavy (even during the Blitz), dark days may be ahead for your people as well, particularly if Trump follows through on his plans for NATO, Iran, Israel, and so on.

It's not so much a matter of memories being short as of too many people having no memories at all. Hence, for example, Le Pen.

That's because the campaign is over. Time to bind wounds. You wouldn't expect them to insult each other face to face while they are trying to transfer power.

Peter

You wouldn't expect them to insult each other full stop Pete, especially when Obama was not in the race. Trump may bring some good deal making and business decisions to the table but that's about it..lets hope all his advisers keep him on a very tight leash...

Trump's latest brilliant idea - nuke the rest of the world and then no Mexico no immigrants no trade deals :idea::idea::idea: so simple only a genius like Trump could have thought of it.
Ah ! Another thought ! Expel all illegals and people who didn't vote for me first !
:idea::idea::idea:
Oh I'm so smart !

Ii think the confusion right now isn't with the fact that the democratic party lost the presidency, it's that they lost to donald trump. It's very hard to understand, but one thing we got out of this is that hillary was a weak candidate...a stain that she will never be able to wipe off for the rest of her natural life.

You wouldn't expect them to insult each other full stop Pete, especially when Obama was not in the race. Trump may bring some good deal making and business decisions to the table but that's about it..lets hope all his advisers keep him on a very tight leash...

Isn't this a contradiction in terms in itself.

I know headlines had Trump to drain the swamp and all that but isn't he going there to sort the establishment out in the first place. That was the over sounding beat of the protest drums. BONG BANG BOSH the place.

So for him to listen to the advisors would be a non-starter imo. He needs to fire them and get his own crew in.

I'll give him 6 months before he starts changing the office furniture around :cheesy:

And as Trump took the stage to bask in his victory, I felt something else, too. Pity for the small-town Trumpists who thought they voted for one of their own but elected a man who mingles solely with rich assholes. Pity for the plutocrat-haters who’ve now ensured sweeping deregulation of financial institutions. Pity for the salt-of-the-earthers who are sick of Washington corruption yet elected a man who will surely preside over the most corrupt administration imaginable. Pity for all those excited rallygoers duped by a con man—an elite in sheep’s clothing.

--Seth Stevenson

He will never get away with running the USA like his own business. Surely there is a difference between politics and money grubbing, but can he see it ?

He will never get away with running the USA like his own business. Surely there is a difference between politics and money grubbing, but can he see it ?

I would have thought that the corruption, financial mismanagement, backroom deals, and general dodgyness of big business would be ideally suited to politics. :LOL:

And as Trump took the stage to bask in his victory, I felt something else, too. Pity for the small-town Trumpists who thought they voted for one of their own but elected a man who mingles solely with rich assholes. Pity for the plutocrat-haters who’ve now ensured sweeping deregulation of financial institutions. Pity for the salt-of-the-earthers who are sick of Washington corruption yet elected a man who will surely preside over the most corrupt administration imaginable. Pity for all those excited rallygoers duped by a con man—an elite in sheep’s clothing.

--Seth Stevenson

As an American, you must be closer to the action that a lot of us, over here, but his reputation was bad enough before you wrote this!

I was willing to give him six months. Looks like I was a bit generous! :)

Trumps Slogan

I would have thought that the corruption, financial mismanagement, backroom deals, and general dodgyness of big business would be ideally suited to politics. :LOL:

Set to music :

"The working Class can kiss my **** -I've got the president's job at last."

He doesn't have to. His children adn current biz empire will do it on his behalf.

Being the Mr P of USA interested parties will know who's palms to grease.

To think this guy is pro-life and against abortion is a shock to me coz he doesn't come across as the sensitive kind.

I'm still trying to figure out the US popular population on their rational for voting this guy in against the establishment is just crazy.

Here is another, just heard on the news he has raised no less than 4000 law suits against various - assuming little guys who have annoyed him. Of these 4000, 50 cases are currently active. The charges against Trump University being the most serious one.

His pupils students hard working people trying to get ahead hardly big business. Surely they are the little guy.

At every turn this Trump fella has used his financial muscle not only not to pay any tax but bring the full force of everything that represents the establishment down on the little guy who can't afford legal fees having just lost their money.

Less well educated and Trump University seem to be a relationship made in heaven. Might be funny if it wasn't sadly true :idea:

As an American, you must be closer to the action that a lot of us, over here, but his reputation was bad enough before you wrote this!

I was willing to give him six months. Looks like I was a bit generous! :)

Closer than you might think. I understand that humor will help us get through this, but I have a number of acquaintances who are subject to deportation, so I'm not quite into the humor yet.