swingin' the ftse: 2009

How did u lose so many points?

thats points dropped over 4 days trading after 5pm.

ive re-tallied it and on the FTSE after 5pm its - 142.8 points = 35.7 pts each day dropped afterhours

during the day 8am-5pm i made profit - when it got to 5pm i made losses.

I'm just watching this babe with my binoculars, slowly, she will come to me, if she does, she will recieve everything I've got.

Attachments

• ftse.gif
    ftse.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 188
Hi vmahavir - I don't think there's dispute that the FTSE is in an uptrend. This will continue until it ends.

What's useful about jiggly's chart is that it suggests a level and time when it might end, and how far and by when it might fall, and a level and time it might reach if it resumes. Knowing where we are and where we came from is important, thank you: but knowing what to do after we depart from here is much more useful.

Hi vmahavir - I don't think there's dispute that the FTSE is in an uptrend. This will continue until it ends.

What's useful about jiggly's chart is that it suggests a level and time when it might end, and how far and by when it might fall, and a level and time it might reach if it resumes. Knowing where we are and where we came from is important, thank you: but knowing what to do after we depart from here is much more useful.

would you consider that a triple top @ 4670 in which case one should certainly buy the pullback?

i think the pullback could be quite deep off 4670 if it got there, as much as 4160/80 / 4000/50?

In my opinion it could still take a while for such a formation to play out,

if it does then clearly, we have something which resembles an inverted head and shoulders pattern, which is quite a powerful reversal indicator. on the other hand it could fail, at the right shoulder and at the break out from the neck line also.

as the right shoulder starts to form, you can look for other bullish patterns to form on lower time frames to 'start' trading in order to build a larger position, ending with your last portion of the position as the entry on the break out of the neckline.

this is a big move which requires lots of patience and discipline. naturally for such a move I would want to be as fully invested as possible (100% of available funds) to ride the big trend over a few months, then possible compound some of the returns for even bigger gains.

This is how the big money is made, I can see it now, the government start taking credit for the economy's recovery, their plan to save the world worked with their excess borrowing, they are so pround of themselves, if only for just a little while, but this could only be a natural rally on a large scale and help rid the country of this labour government when it collapses again and their plan proves to be just a fad.

all in time for the next election......

but who knows, my guess is as good as the next persons.....:smart:

07/05 is putative swing low at 4380 if high 4521 holds. But in such a strong uptrend I will hold off shorting.

May go long late in the day if we get key reversal or whiplash patterns (Low <4380 and Close >4521, or Open <4380 and Close up on the Open and high in the range).

Strong US session on Friday makes breach of 4380 unlikely though

good morning everyone,

vmahavir your charts might need some labels, I assume the different lines are Support 1/2/ and one of he lines is the dow close ?

Last edited:
07/05 remains putative swing high at 4380. Despite weak FTSE and NY sessions I am not going short against the trend.

Watching tomorrow for confirmation of return of the bulls - key reversal (Low <4401 and Close >4470), or whiplash (Open <4401 and Close up on the Open and high half of the range).

Weak US Close makes recovery tomorrow unlikely.

Good morning all.

I was trying to identify where price would have to fall before I would open a short. 07/05 is still putative swing high, but breach of its low 4380 is still way above previous swing low (08/04) so for me trend would remain up. I am trying to hold back from going short in an uptrend - it doesn't often work very well.

A failure of support might push me towards a short. On Sharescope charts there is a gap at 30/04-05/05 (4294-4317). A Close below 4293 would suggest this support had failed. There is a further gap on Sharescope at 29/04-30/04 (4194-4218) and this might offer further support against a short.

Not all charts may show these gaps. It is always frustrating that there can be multiple versions of FTSE100 OHLC data.

May take opportunity to open a long tomorrow am based on today's patterns. FTSE presented a near-doji pattern suggesting the bears are losing power, while the surprisingly strong US candlestick gives quite a positive picture in spite of it being only a second 'down' day on the swing chart.

The FTSE has not so far confirmed it has reached a swing high and turned over, 07/05 remains putative, with the Close at 4399 offering support today. First upside resistance might be 4520. FTSE suggests a bull flag or bull pennant.

No real bullish movement early this am so happily never opened the long. Uptrend remains in place and still not looking to short until at least Close below 4293. NY looks totally subdued for the session so sufficient recovery for a long not likely. Maybe the FTSE is supported here by the February highs, but it all really depends on how NY closes.

Horribly weak performances in NY made yesterday putative swing lows on both Dow and S&P. We have confirmed 07/05 as swing high but in this uptrend I will only be looking to short FTSE if we close below 4293. We might still see a re-bound towards uptrend resumption - looking out for whiplash or key reversal patterns as signals to go long.

FTSE made a strong finish and shows a whiplash pattern, with gap below previous low at open but ending session above open and high in range so I went long before close. Hope the US continues bullish this evening. The February highs may also offer support.

FTSE seems to be consolidating. Made a higher range bar yesterday but we don't have a proper swing low in place as a base and it was a weak finish, echoed in NY. The Nas 100 (often catching trends before the major indices) shows an upleg from swing low 13/05. On the FTSE, 4294 offered support to 14/05 as I hoped it would, there may also be support from the 14EMA printing within the gap 4294- 4317.

Yesterday shows as a whiplash, gapping high at the open, then closing low in the range, so maybe some people went short?

This one could go either way. I will be looking to stop and reverse if we close below 4293.