swingin' the ftse: 2008

aye, need a touch more confirmation but the swingtrend has changed to down so looking for shorts after a bounce.

We've been stuck in a 5700ish - 6000ish range since late January so it'll be interesting to see if it escapes.

good trading

jon

Attachments

• ftseswing.JPG
    ftseswing.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 161
Where are the men in Black

Charts days for Ftse and Dow

Dows out the bottom :oops:

A Job for the Men in Black Perhaps ist thing monday :)

Attachments

• FTSE 100 Daily (07-MAR-08).png
    FTSE 100 Daily (07-MAR-08).png
    10.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Wall Street Daily Cash (07-MAR-08).png
    Wall Street Daily Cash (07-MAR-08).png
    8.7 KB · Views: 147
  • men in black.jpg
    men in black.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 657
Swing trader my asssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

lol

due to above charts and Ftse on the EDGE and Dow clinging to anything it can like Tom & Jerry cartoon

discretion the better part of valour = Gone, did not want to get burnt or end up getting my house blown down by a large bush fire or wind :)

Lloyds TSB closed at +1 pt :eek:

Attachments

• on fire.jpg
    on fire.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 666
  • straw.jpg
    straw.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:
Later all

Make this thread my last post always thought this by far the best

so here"s to Barjon cheers :cheers::drunk:

One of the best rules anybody can learn about investing is to do nothing, absolutely nothing, unless there is something to do. Most people always have to be playing; they always have to be doing something. They can't just sit there and wait for something new to develop. I wait until there is money lying in the corner, and all I have to do is go over there and pick it up. I do nothing in the meantime. Even people who lose money in the market say, 'I just lost my money, now I have to do something to make it back.' No, you don't. You should sit there until you find something.

-- Jim Rogers

hope your on your way back as I Typo Jon

Attachments

• all.jpg
    all.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 618
  • saturn.jpg
    saturn.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 608
  • mars.jpg
    mars.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 608
  • moon.jpg
    moon.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 615
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 611
Long on the FTSE (its been so long) since we are bouncing today but not a large position at this stage: not thinking this upleg will last very long.

Further thoughts on FTSE early morning catch-up trades. Its not hard to predict which way the FTSE will go between 8 and 9 tomorrow if it was flat all day today and the Dow broke upwards 200 points after our close. The problem is trading it for a profit - the SB markets track the Dow through the evening and so a real gap never opens. But I do notice that if the underlying FTSE opens with a gap from the previous night's close, it will most days trade to fill most of this gap. Surely, even I can trade this one. Its a well-known strategy - anyone here making consistent gains using this?

Further thoughts on FTSE early morning catch-up trades. Its not hard to predict which way the FTSE will go between 8 and 9 tomorrow if it was flat all day today and the Dow broke upwards 200 points after our close. The problem is trading it for a profit - the SB markets track the Dow through the evening and so a real gap never opens. But I do notice that if the underlying FTSE opens with a gap from the previous night's close, it will most days trade to fill most of this gap. Surely, even I can trade this one. Its a well-known strategy - anyone here making consistent gains using this?

I'm on it this mo' bud, doesn't come along every morning, but i think in thisinstance ftse was going for triple digits.

Something Different

Something a little different for those that are interested. This is what David Linton of Updata has to say about the FTSE. I've copied the e-mail in it's entirety as it only seems fair that he has the benefit of the links to his sites in case anyone want to take up the offers. Anyway, here's what he says . . .

Is the Footsie in a new bear trend for the first time in 5 years?

Seeing this Point and Figure chart of Footsie now, there is no denying that we now have a new bear trend - on this chart! I emphasise that point because there are no forgone conclusions on the analysis of one chart alone. But this 'rule of thumb' 50x3 box chart is unambiguous. The trend set back at the low in 2003 (these are objective and unambiguous trends) has now been broken, meaning that the new downtrend off the high has come into play. We have an activated downside target as well.

The thing that always amazes me with Point and Figure charts is that people are not prepared to put in a little effort to learn one of the most powerful Technical Analysis techniques there is. Now I have to admit to doing that myself years back, but there is no excuse now with Jeremy dy Plessis' ground breaking book on the subject.

As you read this book, you keep thinking with all the examples (in full colour) - "I will never fail to spot a new bear market again." Now there maybe some price action to study further yet, but why not be able to see for yourself and learn this powerful technique.

Over 500 pages full colour and hardback 2nd print edition - Save £10 when you buy
Read The Definitive Guide to Point and Figure this month - Order the Book Now

We provide this daily service to our customers by sending interesting example charts with some Technical Analysis commentary. This is not a tips service. This email is designed to help you get more from your Updata system by giving you worked examples of really useful analysis techniques. We will get more and more advanced as we go. Thank you for all your request emails. Please note we cannot give advice or cover specific stock requests.

For more comprehensive market coverage and a full Tipping Service please visit - Tipstracker.com

"Keep up the excellent work, I have learnt so much from your analysis and a favourable sum of money as well. Thank you!" Tipstracker Member, January 2005

Updata plc
- Updata Investment Software
Tel: 020 8874 4747
[email protected]

Attachments

• David Linton's Chart.gif
    David Linton's Chart.gif
    30 KB · Views: 173
Further falls look likely this week but the Fed interest rate announcement is a possible wild card.

Currently -
Long EUR/USD
Long Gold
Intend to go short tonight on FTSE
Intend to add to gold short position on any 2-day pullbacks

Closed both Longs and FTSE short for profitable start to the week. Flat now as away for couple of nights on business and the Fed antics demand close attention to markets.

Best wishes

Nothing yet for the 3 bar swingers. Only made 2 bars up before giving up the ghost again.

DOW finished some 156 points up from where it was at ftse close so I guess we should expect a big up gap opening for ftse after the long weekend, always assuming no shock news in the meantime. DOW is about back to its "super tuesday" finish and ftse would need to put on around 150 to follow suit. I expect there's lots that the volume boys could tell us about the high levels over the last few days, but that's all greek to me.

good trading

jon

Attachments

• ftseswing.JPG
    ftseswing.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 144
Yes Jon, frustrating - mainstream news full of stock market stories and I'm sitting on my hands.

Next week the NYSE seems to be open Monday as normal so if US markets continue to climb on Monday they will open a significant lead on the FTSE when London re-opens Tuesday. Could be interesting: maybe lot of bears having to cover fast? If I find I am long on FTSE Tuesday I will be aiming to close by midday at latest - overall trend still bearish.

Long on Dow from high of 19/03. Have closed 1/3 of position and remainder is now risk-free with stop above entry. Using Dow as a proxy for the FTSE100 again as Finspreads have unhelpfully closed their FTSE markets except for phone orders. However, I take this as an indication they expect the FTSE to rise dramatically compared to the 20/03 close and they know they would be slaughtered if the US continue to rise as expected.

Closed outstanding Dow long for profit. Opened and closed FTSE long for good gain also as planned. Good start to another week and hoping for a decisive move to allow a swing trade. I suspect it will be either up or down.

pelzar called it for Thursday, though I couldn't see the FTSE rising.

We end the week with the FTSE significantly outperforming relative to Dow and S&P. The Dow candlestick for Friday resembles an inverted hammer but the S&P says sell all the way. Do we see a sharp break on the FTSE to the downside for Monday?

pelzar called it for Thursday, though I couldn't see the FTSE rising.

We end the week with the FTSE significantly outperforming relative to Dow and S&P. The Dow candlestick for Friday resembles an inverted hammer but the S&P says sell all the way. Do we see a sharp break on the FTSE to the downside for Monday?

I do, at this time, but we must wait and see. In any case, the FT is in a downtrend long term, according to my chart trendlines, and buying is going against it. I saw a down turn on the hourly chart for Friday and entered , but there was a spike that stopped me out and I did not re-enter, preferring the SP, instead.

Split

we may be in business at last

Well, here we are then. Ignoring the circled aberration we have a rather nice retracement (which, for fib fans, got to within 12 points of fib50%). Some concern that it got back above the last swing low (5681) of the up swingtrend, but Friday gave us a potential swing high with a short to be triggered at around 5671 and a stop at 5748 which is a little more comfortable for split :)

good trading

jon

Attachments

• ftseswing.JPG
    ftseswing.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 134
Thoughts only = just for FUN, not my tf anyhows

Hi Jon & Split

trading intra day as per usual

While in trades you do get a feel for ...........something :LOL: so thought I would pop them here rather than have them rolling around in my head, pass them on so somebody else can have them, may be of more use to them, but I doubt it :p

Ftse gap un-filled from Easter weekend 560 fut @ high to 5639 @ low is inviting.
Does not show up on Sb firms charts

Fridays gap up to the highs on the open was very strange but made life very easy that day to take profit errrrrrrrr twice :clap:

The bounce was strong and thats where Split went if I had to make a guess.

Feel that the ftse is stronger than it looks and that gap is just where it would have traded through if we were open monday anyway.

Monday will be interesting, Dow was weak Friday but as now completed a complete standard 3 day decline with no flap at all imho which included one inside nr7 day to start it off. Monday last day of the 1/4 ~ month to.

Ftse imo as resisted going lower and held up well all week. When the Dow took its lows out the Ftse was very restrained and marked the up beats twice as much as the down beats, that was my thoughts when in Ftse trades anyway.

Just for Fun not a trade call so no kippers please Jon will have no money down in this tf unless one gets away while I am making a cuppa :)

Ftse to gap down = not very far, print an open hour slap bang in the middle of that gap and proceed to Zig Zag in it all day. Dow to print a nr7 day to later.

Tuesday = new 1/4 & new month

Both to start looking very weak and rip towards pd lows

THEN ~ :eek: blast off up hill and take their highs out and away in the wrong direction :arrowu: :eek:

Would not be suprised to see Ftse fut at 6100-200 ish before we see another sell off

good trading all:clover: hope you like my new fur coat :)

black bear - I have problems forecasting FTSE beyond late morning at the best of times but sounds quite a possible scenario.
I hope to short the FTSE down into the Easter gap Monday am. If it doesn't trade south first thing I will wait. When the US opens I will go long on the Dow if it prints above Friday's high. If neither happens I'll sit out until Tuesday.