swingin' the ftse: 2008

interesting times ahead for FTSE?

Like most other major markets FTSE trading out a triangle from end of JAN...

could be getting close to a break out...

potential 700 point move over a month or so in the offing?

Attachments

• UK100 Cash.png
    UK100 Cash.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 171
Hola Catracho,
How's the weather down in your neck of the woods? Typical damp, wet, grey day here in the U.K.!
Hasta Luego,
Tim.

Wow looks like the Dow just keeps heading down....

How do we see the ftse for friday ?
Lloyds should return good results so maybe we can have a bullish day for the ftse ?

Although with the dj tumbling today the ftse always seems to fall in sympathy.
I am hoping for a rise of the ftse to move to 6010 or highere in the near future. (I have call position till april)

Any thoughts of trends ?

Having a quick peak at the market diary for next week, I do suspect a dodgy week for DJ and FTSE.

S

hi sul2soul -

I posted this at 11:05pm Thursday here
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/fixed-odds-binary-betting/29385-binary-up-down.html
but forgot to copy it over here to this thread too. I only try to predict the FTSE early trading - predictions of FTSE daily action for later than 11am are really predictions of the Dow daily action. The opening range is enough for me to get a profit and get out and that means I shan't be tempted to daytrade, at which I stink.

MEN IN BLACK Spotted

Like most other major markets FTSE trading out a triangle from end of JAN...

could be getting close to a break out...

potential 700 point move over a month or so in the offing?

Hi catracho

MEN IN BLACK Spotted up to no good on the Dow tonight, call Hookshot he likes to keep up with their movements and activities

lol last hr rally on the dow, what a shock result NOT !:lol:

good post catracho, its going to be a good show when it goes, :p

no charts this week catracho"s is the only one that matters

Its as if it just doesn't want to break out.

Yesterday's late US action screamed 'bear squeeze', it certainly caught this bear unawares and stopped me out of the S&P short, though I had pulled in my stop, so it didn't hurt too much. They do say bear markets are more volatile so use wider stops, which is fine until the bear becomes a bull.

US rally left the FTSE low in comparison so I see a moderate rise at the open or in early trade on the FTSE on Monday. May be nothing spectacular, 30-50, as over the last week the FTSE did better in % terms than the Dow anyway.

The swing bars give me no immediate clues so I continue to wait for breach of 5681 to short, but slightly lower long trigger at 6344 now: Marc Rivalland's long trigger remains at 6072 but I think he will drop this when he reviews his signals.

mmm, the 6000 area proved a difficult nut to crack on the way down and is proving equally difficult on the way up - nice example of support becomes resistance thus far. The patient swingers still in the long trade from 12 February will mostly, I guess, at least have lightened up around this level and looking to move their stop up there on any residual position if there's an explosive push through.

I'm not sure about a bear squeeze, tomo. Late-day price surges and stronger than average strength on a Friday are considered by Gary Smith (see ** below) to be one of the more reliable momentum patterns for follow through on Monday.

** How I Trade For a Living - Gary Smith. An enjoyable read.

All things being equal I suppose ftse should open about 70 up on Monday and it'll be interesting to see how the day develops.

good trading

jon

Attachments

• ftseswing.JPG
    ftseswing.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 177
Hi Jon -

Thanks for the reference to Gary Smith, I see what you refer to. I have mulled over day-of-the-week significance before but at last someone has pointed me towards some proper research.

On any day, late strength usually follows through and, yes, we might see the FTSE anticipate this on Monday before NY opens. On the other hand, I suspect Friday's rally will be classed as market manipulation rather than real bullishness, we are already outrunning the Dow short-term and the millennium number is a real barrier. We keep making bearish candlesticks.

I 'd be surprised to see the FTSE make a strong run on its own through Monday morning........................................................................BUT................................................ I have put in a tiny buy order........... I would love to profit from being wrong. ;-)

Another post card

Ftse charts, I got them so may as well post em

and a piccy of me and mrs Pinkpig

Attachments

• FTSE 100 month (22-FEB-08).png
    FTSE 100 month (22-FEB-08).png
    9.6 KB · Views: 171
  • FTSE 100 Week (22-FEB-08).png
    FTSE 100 Week (22-FEB-08).png
    11 KB · Views: 158
  • FTSE 100 Daily (22-FEB-08).png
    FTSE 100 Daily (22-FEB-08).png
    11 KB · Views: 161
  • FTSE 100 Hours (22-FEB-08).png
    FTSE 100 Hours (22-FEB-08).png
    10.7 KB · Views: 156
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Well called jon. Nice opening gap and a bit more, and I am out now with the proceeds. Now awaiting 6034 for a swing trade long.
Have a good day all.

FTSE Week 8

mmm, the 6000 area proved a difficult nut to crack on the way down and is proving equally difficult on the way up - nice example of support becomes resistance thus far.
Resistance: 6050
Support: 5700

Agreed Jon.
P&F chart attached is late as I was away this W/E. Although there are numerous other areas of S&R between the red and bloo lines on the chart, I think the ones I've drawn are the key ones to watch. As can be seen, price is heading straight into the apex of the bullish support and bearish resistance lines. This, combined with the constant switching in temporary dominance between the bulls and bears, makes for interesting times. The bar chart shows a gradual decline in volume which would favour the bears. Also, Tuesday 19th's rally failed to test the earlier high achieved on Monday 4th Feb. Given that it takes more effort to push price up than it does for it to fall, I remain in the bearish camp. A breach of last week's low at 5840 could see a decisive move down and a renewed test of support at 5700.
Tim.

Attachments

• 08_FTSE_P&F.jpg
    08_FTSE_P&F.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 171
I am long on FTSE100 from 6034, some would have been waiting for 6072, but we breached that earlier too. Maybe this is the much-discussed breakout.....

I am long on FTSE100 from 6034, some would have been waiting for 6072, but we breached that earlier too. Maybe this is the much-discussed breakout.....

Agreed - resistance at 6090-ish is being tested on the futures now but I can see the index charging up to 6350

Drat. Wide range today forced me to cut position to bank some reduced profits. Though still long on FTSE not nearly so good a position now.

I am long on 6065 on listed cfds.
Will have to wait for a while till ftse gets anywhere near that level!

I think index will pick up for wed. So going to hold on to my positions.

S

Split -

Agreed: they were what caused me to drop swing trading the FTSE last year, the win:loss ratio was pretty good but the stops intimidating, especially when the swing day is an outside range day of 130 points or something stupid.

So, do you close your short in a downtrend each night and re-open it the next morning, and so on down the leg? The classic strategy is to open on down day 1 and hold as far as possible.

Split -

Agreed: they were what caused me to drop swing trading the FTSE last year, the win:loss ratio was pretty good but the stops intimidating, especially when the swing day is an outside range day of 130 points or something stupid.

So, do you close your short in a downtrend each night and re-open it the next morning, and so on down the leg? The classic strategy is to open on down day 1 and hold as far as possible.

Hi tomorton,

Yes, but normally at lunchtime. Its difficult to tell what is going to happen in the afternoon as I have a job to go to. I've tried taking half profits and putting the other half at breakeven stops, but my results on that score seem to be mediocre. I find it better to close the lot out if I am making a decent profit.

I see you on the SP thread, too. I find that I can get a good profit in the am, even though it is out of hours, sometimes as much as ten points. I use that, if I make it, as a profit buffer for when NY opens. Quite often I have been stopped out on that, too, but I have had pleasant surprises and get home half an hour before the close so that I can close out before getting rolled over.

Split

Thanks Split - you surprise me but I won't say closing a FTSE swing trade within each day is a bad thing. It does cut profits from the Rivalland method but it also reduces risk. Plus, it uses the UK's advantage of the FTSE laggng the Dow: in effect we get the London am action telegraphed to us from New York every night, so why not use it to our advantage? I suspect a bet on the FTSE's pm action is generally a bet on the Dow, in which case, the advantage is neutralised. Hmmmmm..... I may like to try this.