S&P 500 & other indexes - intraday. Plus chat

re: S&P 500 & other indexes - intraday. Plus chat

My unreliable indies have got today mostly (4 to 2) pencilled in as a down day.

This is the S&P at present and will I think be flattish until a trend can be established. The spaces A and B have been closing slowly and looks to run outa steam at zero imho.
Feel free to express any other opinion though ! :smart:

Attachments

• S&P 500.PNG
    S&P 500.PNG
    100.1 KB · Views: 141

While I don't trade the SPX any more, ( traded cash options in the past ) I have been thinking about maybe looking at it again in more detail. Not sure I would do it in an intraday time frame, but shortish swing trading ( few hours to few days ) would be in order.
Getting back into the "swing" of things I would do some paper trading for a while. If that works for this thread then I'm in.
If not just let me know and I won't post so your thread stays on track for you.

While I don't trade the SPX any more, ( traded cash options in the past ) I have been thinking about maybe looking at it again in more detail. Not sure I would do it in an intraday time frame, but shortish swing trading ( few hours to few days ) would be in order.
Getting back into the "swing" of things I would do some paper trading for a while. If that works for this thread then I'm in.
If not just let me know and I won't post so your thread stays on track for you.

er yes, I had nearly given up but there is some interest out there (y)
anything to do with the S&P is great. The different trading timeframes are interesting the way they mesh togethor and offers opportunities imho.

Glad for your contributions

re: Intra day S&P 500

a. ONH 1363.40, ONL 1345.75
b. Unclosed gap from a couple of days ago at 1365.75
c. NVPOC at 1364.50
d. Bit of confluence going on there
e. Gap close 1351
f. OAOR, opened on the overnight VPOC, CBAVOL 380k, moderate
g. This is choppy again, lacking direction, bit of a tussle
h. Selling off now
i. This is stalling, feels somewhat weak though, maybe this is a pause before heading down, it is out of balance
j. Ok this looks weak, targets at 1353/1351
k. Short, market order 1 x risk at 1359.50 @ 14:47GMT (1)
l. Jesus, just my luck, it was actually consolidating to go north
m. Ok, it's hit the ONH and is stalling but this has opened out of balance to upside - is this an ORR and the start of a trend day? Careful now.
n. Feel convinced this is not going further up, short 1 x risk at 1362.00 @ 14:53GMT (2), average price now 1360.75
o. Grinding down now, still very choppy on DOM and T&S, tons of spoofing today, levels quite thick, delta increasing too
p. Sold off to 1360 - hovering there - bail or hold? Looks weak, hold.
q. WRONG! Right don't panic Captain Mainwaring, what's it going to do at the RTH-H again
r. Stalled again, is this consolidating before taking off? Look to bail early, fnck profit, safety today now.
s. Got back to 1360, out market order for 1360.25 @ 15:11GMT (3)
t. 4 ticks profit before commissions
u. No coffee today, maybe that was the problem
v. That felt hairy, amazing how you can go from hot to not quite quickly
w. Today's opera - Adelson e Salvini by Bellini
x. MAE (from average) 14 ticks, MFE 18 ticks, exit efficiency 22%
x. Best trade today - short at RTH-H around 1363.00 to RTH-L around 1358.50 for 18 ticks
y. Exit efficiency is going down. Need to talk to myself here as I will be affecting expectancy soon.

That's me done for the week - soft target hit. Day off tomorrow or maybe messing around with spank account

Attachments

• ES210510.png
    ES210510.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 201

er yes, I had nearly given up but there is some interest out there (y)
anything to do with the S&P is great. The different trading timeframes are interesting the way they mesh togethor and offers opportunities imho.

Glad for your contributions

Not sure if I will have time to do this tomorrow so I will post this now.
The following times are when I would look for a change in market type in the SPX tomorrow during the trading day: (Give or take five minutes or so)
10:50
12:10
2:10
2:50-3:05
3:30
All of these times are central standard time which I believe is -6 GMT. We are in daylight savings time so keep that in mind if it makes a difference for you.

Remember that this is just a quick calculation based on some cycles I watch so take them or leave them. When I used them before they were very good at giving me the times of day to look at the market and then decide what to do with the price action going on at the time.
I will do my best to post these the night before the next trading day each day next week.
At the end of next week let me know if they helped at all. If they did then I will keep doing it for the thread. If not then I will stop.
When I get a chance I will be stopping in with a chart or two.(y)

Good luck with tomorrow.:)

9:30am GBP PPI Input m/m -0.9% 1.9%
9:30am GBP PPI Output m/m 0.4% 0.6%
1:30pm CAD Employment Change 10.1K 82.3K
1:30pm CAD Unemployment Rate 7.3% 7.2%
1:30pm USD PPI m/m 0.0% 0.0%
1:30pm USD Core PPI m/m 0.2% 0.3%
2:55pm USD Prelim UoM Consumer Sentiment 76.4 76.4
2:55pm USD Prelim UoM Inflation Expectations 3.2%

The blue highlighted ones should affect the index

Possibly the beginnings of an uptrend.

Attachments

• S&P 500.PNG
    S&P 500.PNG
    115.3 KB · Views: 191

Do you use a special method ?
No need to tell if you feel you would like to keep it to yourself tho !

I'm constantly experimenting with ideas.
At the moment im pretty much just using an excel spreadsheet which gives me trade ideas at the end of the day and some levels.
I also daytrade other instruments (when i get time away from work)in a very different way using more of a 'TA' type approach, along with an indicator i had someone program for me.
However ,it's all a mute point really (hence why i dont like talking about it much) because im not a 'real' trader yet. Just messing about with baby stakes until I see results that gives me more confidence.

I've traded real size in the past (see my journal), and even though i made a few K, the results weren't encouraging enough for me, hence i'm back at work.

Anyway, spreadsheet kicked out a long trade near midnight last night, closed this overnight for +54 pips.

Attachments

• spx.jpg
    spx.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 195

I have just had a look at your journal ( only up to page 2 so far ). Good stuff ! and now that you have turned losses into profits :clap:

Just what a lot of folks here would like to do, so you are no newbie. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

I thought this was an interesting post from Tim. Hope you don't mind if I reproduce it.

Hi pb,
I have a couple of suggestions for you to consider. In my experience, the ES is a very unforgiving instrument and it doesn't give you much room for manoeuvre. By that I mean it pretty well constantly flickers up and down 2-3 ticks at any given time. By contrast, the YM moves more cleanly as it trades 2.5 ticks for every 1 tick of the ES. Therefore. if you get your timing right, your trade can be 'on side' to the tune of 5-8 ticks with a stop in place at break even - so that if it snaps back (very likely) you'll at least get out without a loss. Alternatively, if the moves don't have much (any) follow through - you can take your 5 tick profit. It's much smoother and cleaner than the ES and, in this regard, it's more forgiving. If this doesn't make much sense to you - put up a chart of the YM next to the ES and contrast and compare the two. You should quickly see what I mean.

You mentioned 'secrets' that only the select few cognoscenti know about. It's possible I suppose - but not very likely. That said, I think most traders have tools and techniques they wouldn't be without, which other traders may or may not find useful. So, not a secret as such - but definitely a key component of their edge - assuming they have one. For me, it's $TICK. I simply couldn't (and wouldn't) trade without it. Study the relationship between futures and equities and note which is strongest at any given time. In the main, the futures lead equities. However, neither will go very far without the other. If you can interpret the tug-o'-war between them and spot when they are 'in sync' - then trading in the right direction will not be too much of a problem. Then it's a question of timing your entries with an appropriate stop which is a tougher gig. On that front, I'd recommend you look at non-time based charts: tick, constant volume, Point & Figure and Renko etc. My trading moved on leaps and bounds when I made the transition.
Tim.

It's gone up a bit later than I expected but that's part of the interest in trading imho

No great hassle to jump in at points A B

Attachments

• S&P 500.PNG
    S&P 500.PNG
    114.9 KB · Views: 221

wizzed thru the rest of your journal piggy.
Only 1 losing week in 10ish is very good imho.
Like you I have made an excel ea. It has been directionally right 3 out of 4 times so far. Early days. I also play with neural networks, after a disappointing start it is now doing better - 14 right out of 26.

On that front, I'd recommend you look at non-time based charts: tick, constant volume, Point & Figure and Renko etc. My trading moved on leaps and bounds when I made the transition.

I concur with this. Intraday became quite intuitive when I did the same. Charts now mean something different to me compared to what they meant 3 yrs ago.

Ultimately, it is down to personal preference and whatever works for you PB.

@Pat - I will stop my journal and post up my trades here if you don't mind. Seems to make more sense seeing as this is an intraday thread on the S&P :)

I concur with this. Intraday became quite intuitive when I did the same. Charts now mean something different to me compared to what they meant 3 yrs ago.

Ultimately, it is down to personal preference and whatever works for you PB.

@Pat - I will stop my journal and post up my trades here if you don't mind. Seems to make more sense seeing as this is an intraday thread on the S&P :)

Since you very gallantly offered me a place on your thread ( when this one looked like a dead duck ) may I extend the same courtesy to you.
Post all you like.:smart:

Fins doesn't offer renko or P&F on their charts ( hint to Fins !!). I have just closed my IG account, so not there either.
Perhaps someone else could ???

Makes sense to put all these together somewhere, there's some good stuff in these threads. (y)

Just to be clear - intraday indices, this is the new place, yes?

How about contacting one of the mods and having them merged?

I have just checked my old IG account. They have kindly not thrown me out into the street yet. They don't offer Renko or P&F either but I found something which may be of use ?

Attachments

• IG.PNG
    IG.PNG
    46.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IG a.PNG
    IG a.PNG
    49.7 KB · Views: 188

Makes sense to put all these together somewhere, there's some good stuff in these threads. (y)

Just to be clear - intraday indices, this is the new place, yes?

How about contacting one of the mods and having them merged?

Seems like a good idea to me although forex( being very different and large ) is probably better with it's own thread.

:-0

I'm in for a buy

Attachments

• S&P 500.PNG
    S&P 500.PNG
    113.5 KB · Views: 170