S&P 500 & other indexes - intraday. Plus chat

Could go even lower

Some are long gold looking for a breakout of 5 -15% and short the euro.

the best and worst of splashy's 1-2-3.

I put up some charts a couple of weeks ago showing how i trade ftse/dax but the charts were all profitable so i had it in mind to show a duffer when one came up just to show the dark side, as it were. Then, yesterday came upon us so it has just occurred to me that it would be neat just to show what can happen, the best and the worst.

The dax chart is from yesterday and shows almost the ideal day. A steady strend - this could have done with being just a bit steeper early on so that it enables you to get one order out of the way before taking on another, or at least manage the risk as mentioned below. Four trades on Dax, 3 of them takeable. I apologise that the lines aren't in but i took them out this morning to make todays chart up.
Ftse's chart for yesterday was obviously simlar and also had 3 takeable trades out of 4 (but not the same one was invalidated). 8 completed patterns all together, 6 valid trades, 130 odd pips. Some of the currency pairs showed the same steady trend. Days like this happen around once per month and it can be as easy as picking money up off the floor. You just have to consider your levels of risk appetite/money management when holding multiple trades at any one time.

The ftse chart is from thurs 19th and shows the flip side. I think it was Robster that mentioned drawdowns - i haven't really had what i could call a bad sequence but this is what could potentially happen if money mangement is a bit iffy...
A bad day is not when i get no trades - a bad day is when the trades i take go bad. Trade A i took because it triggered on the happy side of the resistance line which i think was the days high. Trade B came very soon afterwards and looked a bit stunted, even had very similar pts 2 & 4 to pattern A. I know i said i trade the system with no discretion but i had forgotten about this bit so apologies there...i do trade with discretion when money/risk management comes into play. Trade B i took but only after it had retraced a few pips. This made the r/r for that trade move from 1:1 to 3:1 and helped me stick within my risk rules. If there had been a 3rd signal, i couldn't have taken it unless pattern A or B could have been moved to b/e. This can quite often happen considering the ftse/dax correlation so thats when you really need the price to be moving along so that risk can be managed, as per yesterday. Both trades were sent the wrong way by the news at 1.30, hence the danger of holding multiple positions without discretion and without 'doffing ones cap' to Mr Risk.

Attachments

• ftse190712.jpg
    ftse190712.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 212
  • dax 23072012.jpg
    dax 23072012.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 214
Well in hindight I got out way too early.. but I reached the target I had set so I'm still happy. Had I been able to watch a live chart I would have loved that bearish candle that touched the 1346 level.

Anyway, lets see if there is some profit taking into the close.

Tonights close looks interesting,2 levels of interest
right here at this level on the daily,

Attachments

• p7.gif
    p7.gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 178
Well we did get a little bounce there.. was tempted to hold some but personally I just have a gut feeling that apples earnings may not be as good as some hope (don't hold me to this, I have no facts at all!)

Another 5 point winner to finish the day though, can't complain.

Attachments

• SPX 240712.png
    SPX 240712.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 178
the best and worst of splashy's 1-2-3.

I put up some charts a couple of weeks ago showing how i trade ftse/dax but the charts were all profitable so i had it in mind to show a duffer when one came up just to show the dark side, as it were. Then, yesterday came upon us so it has just occurred to me that it would be neat just to show what can happen, the best and the worst.

The dax chart is from yesterday and shows almost the ideal day. A steady strend - this could have done with being just a bit steeper early on so that it enables you to get one order out of the way before taking on another, or at least manage the risk as mentioned below. Four trades on Dax, 3 of them takeable. I apologise that the lines aren't in but i took them out this morning to make todays chart up.
Ftse's chart for yesterday was obviously simlar and also had 3 takeable trades out of 4 (but not the same one was invalidated). 8 completed patterns all together, 6 valid trades, 130 odd pips. Some of the currency pairs showed the same steady trend. Days like this happen around once per month and it can be as easy as picking money up off the floor. You just have to consider your levels of risk appetite/money management when holding multiple trades at any one time.

The ftse chart is from thurs 19th and shows the flip side. I think it was Robster that mentioned drawdowns - i haven't really had what i could call a bad sequence but this is what could potentially happen if money mangement is a bit iffy...
A bad day is not when i get no trades - a bad day is when the trades i take go bad. Trade A i took because it triggered on the happy side of the resistance line which i think was the days high. Trade B came very soon afterwards and looked a bit stunted, even had very similar pts 2 & 4 to pattern A. I know i said i trade the system with no discretion but i had forgotten about this bit so apologies there...i do trade with discretion when money/risk management comes into play. Trade B i took but only after it had retraced a few pips. This made the r/r for that trade move from 1:1 to 3:1 and helped me stick within my risk rules. If there had been a 3rd signal, i couldn't have taken it unless pattern A or B could have been moved to b/e. This can quite often happen considering the ftse/dax correlation so thats when you really need the price to be moving along so that risk can be managed, as per yesterday. Both trades were sent the wrong way by the news at 1.30, hence the danger of holding multiple positions without discretion and without 'doffing ones cap' to Mr Risk.

Just thought...once again monday is a stonker and once again tuesday a damp squib - not a single trade today. (n)
hmmm...

Of course in the above post I meant to say I know for 100% sure Apple will miss... ;-)

overnight long trade from 1328.8 closed this morning for +5.2 handles.
Entry in exit are the little yellow lines on the hourly chart.

Also took 2.9 handles in yesterdays session which is the second from bottom trade in the statement window.

Attachments

• rtr.JPG
    rtr.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 152
OK - so the Sky is NOT falling in....

7-25-20128-50-19AM.jpg

Here we have a potential balance area within a balance area. (daily chart)

The longer term balance area we have been in since May suggests a continued moved down below 1300.

The shorter term balance area calls for a move up from a point below 1330 – somewhere that is considered
cheap, relatively speaking. Plenty of people are short from the last 3 days so.

I’ll be looking for longs from yesterdays close, yesterdays low, overnight low but ready to jump on board a short squeeze.

Really not looking for shorts today, although we are above yesterdays close so an initial down move to shake out the overnight longs isn’t a bad thing.

Will be looking @ potential shorts from yesterdays high for a smaller move.

Longs – 1329.75, 1326, 1323.75, 1321.25
Shorts – 1346.50

Today, I am going to attempt to stick to this. I keep shorting into my long areas and going long into my short areas.

Ok - short - not @ my short area but chasing the move down into potential longs way below.....

7-25-20129-50-34AM.jpg

This is OK - not going short into a potential long 4 ticks away or anything dumb like that....

1340 is weekly Camarilla level 4,
and, by no strange coincidence, also Resistance on the Ichimoku 1H Cloud

So I'm short from here until I see credible evidence otherwise

got some breathing room into the news, with 3 contracts already out, so held it...

Short 1334.25

3 out @ 1333
1 out @ 1332.25

1 holding for a move back to the ONL of 1321.25 (but will be out a few pts above). Obviously will be watching 1329.75 for a bounce up & exit...