S&P 500 cash weekly competition for 2014 with PRIZES!

I'm cheering for the my national team even though not a shot in hell of winning. I'm just a homer! GO USA :clap::clap::clap:

Peter

Just watched an interesting piece on Bloomberg about US soccer.
Apparently it is a growing interest in the US but competing with American football etc. Stephanie Ruhle had heard of Beckham and Ronaldo but that's about all. Didn't know the name of the New York team for instance.
The 19 soccer teams in the US league are being upped to 24. With all those Latinos/Hispanics in the US it would only need a good result in the World Cup for it to take off.

FYI
New York state has three football teams, the Giants, Jets and Bills. The Giants and Jets are based out of NYC and their main offices are located in NYC, however, they play their games 9 miles away in the suburbs of NYC at the Meadowlands, just over the water in New Jersey. The Bills do the same -- they are based in Buffalo yet play their games in the suburb of Orchard Park at Ralph Wilson Stadium, which is about 11 miles from Buffalo. They both play their games in suburbs of their team name. Changing them to the NJ Giants, NJ Jets and Orchard Park Bills would be silly though, especially since they only play games there, so they keep their affiliates and maintain their main offices in NYC and Buffalo, respectively.

Last edited:
Just watched an interesting piece on Bloomberg about US soccer.
Apparently it is a growing interest in the US but competing with American football etc. Stephanie Ruhle had heard of Beckham and Ronaldo but that's about all. Didn't know the name of the New York team for instance.
The 19 soccer teams in the US league are being upped to 24. With all those Latinos/Hispanics in the US it would only need a good result in the World Cup for it to take off.

FYI
New York state has three football teams, the Giants, Jets and Bills. The Giants and Jets are based out of NYC and their main offices are located in NYC, however, they play their games 9 miles away in the suburbs of NYC at the Meadowlands, just over the water in New Jersey. The Bills do the same -- they are based in Buffalo yet play their games in the suburb of Orchard Park at Ralph Wilson Stadium, which is about 11 miles from Buffalo. They both play their games in suburbs of their team name. Changing them to the NJ Giants, NJ Jets and Orchard Park Bills would be silly though, especially since they only play games there, so they keep their affiliates and maintain their main offices in NYC and Buffalo, respectively.

I heard the NFL is taking a bit of a bashing about pumping their players with drugs and wrecking their bodies. Most players are injured and are supported by pain killing drugs for best part of their short career.

Some of the injuries are real nasty. They need bionic parts by 35.

I'm cruising for a bruising. (n)

Still holding for that big drop. Market is walking on hyped up hot air. I concur with this article below. Twitter and Facebook make me want to laugh out loud. Some analysts make me want to reach for the bucket. :sick:

I'm either going to be very happy or very sad. :devilish:

By John Nyaradi

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/da...port-an-upside-move-2014-05-22?dist=afterbell

As more and more individual stocks fall below their 200-day moving averages, the growing stench of bear breath offsets the sweet smell of May flowers.

Over the last few weeks, much digital ink has been spilled regarding the meltdown in "mo-mo" stocks with massive, double-digit declines in story stocks like Twitter TWTR -0.29% Facebook FB -0.03% and Amazon AMZN -0.02% . Also making news has been the fallout witnessed in the Nasdaq and Russell 2000, with the latter falling below both its 50- and 200-day moving averages.

Nevertheless, major indexes like the S&P 500 and Dow Jones Industrial Average have been spared such carnage, and so investors are justifiably confused over the possible future direction of U.S.stock markets.

While the major indexes still look solidly bullish and investors continue "buying the dip," a quick glance beneath the surface of the stock market paints a less sanguine picture. The percentage of all NYSE stocks trading above their 200-day moving average has now fallen to the 65% range, down from highs in the mid-80% range in 2013 and the mid-70% range earlier this year.

For investors with a shorter time horizon, the percentage of stocks above their 50-day moving averages is now 51%, down from 77% earlier this year.

So, while the most visible indexes tell us that all is well, a quick look at the Nasdaq, Russell 2000 and broader market performance sends a potentially divergent message of underlying weakness.

And this news has not been lost on some of the most highly visible institutional managers and financial experts.

Last week, the financial media could not stop talking about billionaire hedge fund manager, David Tepper, who was interviewed at the Skybridge Alternatives (SALT) Conference in Las Vegas. "Complacency" was the theme of the discussion, and the major takeaway from Mr. Tepper's interview was his remark, "I am nervous. I think it's nervous time." Another well-received remark was: "I'm not saying go short. Just don't go too frigging long." He then explained that there are times to make money, and there are times not to lose money. This is a time to be preserving money. Although he feels that it is all right to be long, it is important to maintain a solid cash base.

Recently, bond guru Jeffrey Gundlach also joined the "nervous time" theme with his view that household debt is on the rise and the demand for second lien loans increased 20% on a year-over-year basis as of March. Existing-home sales are fetching prices which are slightly below the 10-year average. Negative home equity is holding at 19.4%. Housing starts, currently at the seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1,072,000, are far below the historical average of 1,500,000.

On May 13, the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Fund Manager Survey revealed that during May, average cash levels reached 5% of portfolios. This was the highest cash level since June of 2012. Twenty-two percent of those surveyed are taking "below normal" levels of risk, compared with only 11% last month. The proportion of asset allocators who are overweight equities has fallen to 37% from April's 45%.

Meanwhile, the market itself is sending some caution signals. Treasury bonds and Treasury bond-fund ETFs continue to post solid gains year to date. Up days in the stock market have been on light volume and followed by drops which then erased previous advances. Down days have mostly been on heavier volume, and the major indexes are stuck, for now, in a weeks' long trading range.

Margin debt recently posted a decline from recent record levels, and this week's speeches by various Federal Reserve Presidents painted a mixed picture for investors hoping for continued easy money from the Fed. Most chilling was Fed President Charles Plosser's comment regarding a " ticking time bomb " at the Fed and his stating of the obvious, that the "Fed is always behind the curve."

The trading gods always seem to enjoy punishing overconfidence and bravado, and so caution seems like a good tactic as we head for the holiday weekend with a whiff of bear breath tainting the fresh spring air.

Phew don't remember a week when three human's took all three podium places for a long time. Well done to Samspade, Malaguti and Gaffs this week. Die hard bulls were very close. Samspade was on the bulls-eye. :clap::clap::clap:

..................Malaguti.............................................Samspade..................Gaffs
dolphins-jumping-out-of-water-wallpaper-700x393.jpg

League table here...

Weighted Average maintains its lead with 14 points, whilst Malaguti moves into second place just pipping Average with a game in hand for Qtr-2 as per column BO.

Overall Gaffs is in joint first position with Weighted Average on 29 points, as per column BW.

Last edited:
Yay, I get to get in this week.

1920 here -- les années folles sont de retour!

Charging bulls take SPX500 to new highs!

Well done to Lexcorp, in first place - taking his second gold this quarter followed by VielGeld and Tar who take silver and bronze. (y)(y)(y)

...............Tar.......................VielGeld.................Lexcorp
bob-kuhn-three-bulls-cape-buffalo.jpg

There is now just 4 weeks left to the end of Quarter 2 and one human winner (assuming averages don't win) will get $100 Amazon Voucher.

Weighted Average retains first place (column BO) with 14 points.
Malaguti in second place with 11 and game in hand
Average is in third place also with 11 points

View table here

Last edited:
Charging bulls take SPX500 to new highs!

Well done to Lexcorp, in first place - taking his second gold this quarter followed by VielGeld and Tar who take silver and bronze. (y)(y)(y)

...............Tar.......................VielGeld.................Lexcorp
bob-kuhn-three-bulls-cape-buffalo.jpg

There is now just 4 weeks left to the end of Quarter 2 and one human winner (assuming averages don't win) will get $100 Amazon Voucher.

Weighted Average retains first place (column BO) with 14 points.
Malaguti in second place with 11 and game in hand
Average is in third place also with 11 points

View table here

Ironically in live trading i am currently a bear = 1868

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 105