my journal 3

Khan Academy in the meanwhile, all these months, has kept adding new exercises, I started at 225 and now we're at a total of 289, and I have been working (including on 10 review exercises per day) several months on a daily basis.

They really manage to get you committed and consistent. Not much could be improved about their website. I still have a lot to learn, but they turned my attitude around.

Snap1.jpg

Last edited:
Back at work. He's chewing again, with his mouth open. What an uneducated pig.

For now he hasn't talked at least. If he asks me for music, I'll tell him to play it on his own computer.

I'm doing math now, I hope he doesn't cause me to make mistakes:
Dividing complex numbers | Khan Academy

It's my last exercise.

He's still chewing out loud.

At the start I made friends with him, but now I am distancing myself. Ever since I opened my eyes and realized what a slacker he is. It's a lot of bull****, all the paper on his desk, all the talking. In reality he's just phone calls and lunch/coffee breaks. That's all he does.

Ok, finally done with all these exercises. 900k of "energy points". Impressive work, I am proud of myself:

Snap1.jpg

In the meanwhile, a colleague came and the usual bull**** is being discussed. He's preaching to his colleague on how things should be done. In the meanwhile, he's doing nothing.

When your amount of preaching exceeds your amount of work, you should realize that you're not doing jack****, and that you're not entitled to preaching.

[...]

There you go again. He went on a coffee break for 20 minutes, then he came back, and tells me "you know, there's a truck drivers' strike...", and so he couldn't get his freshly squeezed orange juice, but hey, he bought oranges. So he goes to the bathroom to wash his orange or whatever he did, and now he's eating it I suppose.

So, first he talks about how things should be done, but he doesn't do them, then coffee break, then orange break, then... he hasn't done anything yet, and he's supposed to have been working for 2 hours by now.

At least we're not talking much anymore, because I am not being talkative lately, so he doesn't waste my time all day long, preaching to me about his bull**** integrity.

[...]

Nice. He finally went to lunch. Now he'll be gone for two hours, so I can work in peace. Lately, since he can't screw around with me anymore, because I've understood his type, he took to going to other people's rooms and screw around with them. I could hear him laugh his ass off for the last 20 minutes. But, as some Latin author said, "risus abundat in ore stultorum", and also "infinitus est numerus stultorum". Or "laughter abounds in the mouths of fools" and, as we also say in Italy, "the mother of idiots is always pregnant", so that "the number of idiots is infinite". This also explains the abundance of smileys used on forums.

Last edited:
****. I am finally home. I don't care if I have to argue with this roommate. He has an ineffective work methodology: screwing around and doing nothing all day long, and bull****ting your way out of situations, by saying you're a deep thinker, who knows a lot about laws, who goes deep into matters. That might be good if you're sitting on the Board. But as an employee you're required to work.

I don't give a **** if he was... if so far he has outsmarted me by getting promoted while I didn't. I just care about being useful and not wasting my day cracking jokes and being a clown. I will do my math exercises, or I will mop the floors, but I want to go there to work, and not to socialize and being a clown. He wants to be clown? Fine. But at least allow me to work. At my bank, Vito the Chimp, the Idiot with the Radio, and now this clown... it seems like being allowed to work quietly is something you have to fight for and get into arguments for. The normalcy is screwing around. Of course I am not working at a branch, but at the Administration (Compliance Department), so here slackers can get away with it because there's no contact with customers.

I am sure they say: What's wrong with travis? - He likes to work quietly. - Oh, I see... what a masochistic individual.

Anyway, now I am home so let's see what happened during the day as far as trading. [...]

It's all right. One win closed, for less than 100 dollars. And one ongoing loss for a few hundreds. I am ok. I can't expect a rate higher than 60% anyway (with wins bigger than losses). As I said yesterday, after making over 100% in 11 trading days, I am now expecting "inevitable upcoming losses".

Besides, today I worked on my idiot roommate so I am pretty satisfied for the day. Risus abundat in ore stultorum.

Last edited:
weekly update

All right, that trade that was losing hundreds turned out to make over a thousand. So I made a 125% return in 12 days of trading. Who would have dreamed 12 days ago of investing just 4000, and having 9000 just 12 trading days later? The probability of blowing out back then was at 33%, according to relativized resampled backtesting worsened by the fact that the future is worse than the past. The probability of the blowing out event is now down to 2% on backtested relativized resampled data, and, given that backtesting is always better, I'd say a worsened estimate of... 5%, but not more. I can now lose about 7k and still be able to trade, whereas at the start I could lose only 2k. Big difference.

I'll do the weekly update in about 40 minutes.

[...]

This is the equity line of the forward-tested period, with the arrow where I started using this portfolio (with real money):

Snap1.jpg

This is the last few weeks of trading of the portfolio (same thing as the chart above, but on a weekly basis, and a shorter period):

Snap2.jpg

The few hundreds dollars of difference were made due to some discretionary trades of mine: about 3, on which I made a bit more than 600 dollars. I've stopped doing those, because I know I have run out of luck and if I'll enter a losing trade, I won't be able to exit it, so I am done with those discretionary trades. Also, because a few hundreds of difference won't be as important as they were at the start, so I have more to lose than to gain from doing anything discretionary.

I am going to stop posting these amazing results for a while, especially until they'll be good, because I am blatantly showing off and it bothers me when others do it. I did a similar thing when the account with the investors was going very well, and then I resumed posting the results when it entered the drawdown.

The reason I felt the need to show off for the last few days is that some months ago I got harassed by a few idiots (about five of them), due to which I had to close my previous journal (2) and enable the "only posts from contacts" option on this new journal (3). These idiots were daring to post on my journal and tell me, as if they were talking to an idiot (such as they are) all sorts of things (lectures on trading, scolding, blaming, berating, questioning, interrogating, ganging up, torturing), without even knowing anything much about me - except for the fact that something had just gone wrong with my trading. And, being hyenas, they could not resist their instinct to gang up on someone who seemed in trouble. Since these results were enough to restore my confidence, now I can stop showing them off and I can now continue writing my journal without discussing percentages and performances, or rather: I will discuss performance, but only from a technical point of view, without writing posts with "today I made this much money" and so on. The most I'll say is "good week" or "bad week". Furthermore, now the concern of being interrupted and bothered by idiots/trolls posting here is pretty much gone thanks to the new "only posts from contacts" option. Thanks, once again, to trade2win, for these awesome settings, which allow me to write precisely what I want to write, without interference.

Last edited:
statistical regression analysis

I'm gonna need this, too, unfortunately. I am done with khan, which covers everything up to the end of highschool. I am done with probability. And now I am finishing statistics:
AP Statistics Tutorial: Least Squares Linear Regression
This lesson above, which has a video of just 12 minutes, cannot be understood in all its implications in 12 minutes. I am either very tired, which I am, or this deserves several hours of investigation, to understand all its implications.

This course covers a lot of material and quite boring (a lot of technical jargon to learn, little practice and reasoning), at least the way it's presented, and especially in this case I will look for help from other sources, such as youtube and wikipedia:
Regression analysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a beginning, this is pretty good. The right level of simplification for me:

Understanding Regression Analysis - YouTube

Maybe pecas was right, when he said, several months ago, that it will take me years to cover all I need to cover. But it really bothered me to be told so, so I banned him. You know? You're engaging in a demanding task, you're tense and stressed out from the efforts you're making, to say... lift a heavy weight, and then someone comes along and says "nah, you're not going to make it...". You feel like throwing... a sink at them. Hey, at least leave me alone while I try. Get out of my way, son. You're using my oxygen. You know what I mean?

Get out of my way son you're using my oxygen - YouTube

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: At least I tried - YouTube

Well At Least I Tried - YouTube

McMurphy's Bet - YouTube

Anyone using my oxygen and interefering with my efforts, by telling me that I am not going to make it, will get banned from my journal (removed from my contacts is enough with this journal). Nothing personal, but I can't afford to get discouraged. Such posts demotivate me, so I have to keep you from doing that. The same thing happened with "wake up and smell the coffee" bbmac, "at your current pace" pecas, "the only interesting bits of this journal are the mental breakdowns" brettus, "now you are trading on demo and talking about maths and nobody cares any more" megamuel, and a couple more of "well-meaning" but discouraging people. They weren't trolls or idiots. They were well-meaning people, who happened to write (at least) one discouraging post, and I can't allow that, especially since you don't know enough about me to pass such judgments. You can ask questions, but don't express judgments on what I am capable or incapable of doing. I don't get any benefit from being told that I am not going to make it, or that this journal is no good. So, I am sorry to be missing your other useful inputs, but if even just one of your inputs is negative, I'd rather get no inputs at all, because I can't write and work in peace, constantly fearing to be criticized/berated/insulted/attacked for something I wrote.

[...]

These are good, too:

Last edited:
probability attitude

I was thinking just now in the bath tub if I could summarize the lessons learned from this huge success of the last two weeks.

The causes of this huge success were, first of all, my new probability thinking/attitude, and second of all, luck.

That's right, because the very lesson I learned, by adopting probability thinking, is the first reason that makes me state that I was "lucky", as it always is. Good luck or bad luck. Even if your chances are 99% of making it, if you don't fail because of that 1%, you could say you were "lucky" (not according to the dictionary meaning, of course). You were lucky because the event was probable but not certain.

And the other lesson I learned is to appraise correctly the probability of that good luck coming your way.

The change in attitude was brought about by the little probability theory I studied at Khan Academy and on this awesome little website, apparently for children:
Probability

The big thing I learned from reading probability theory and doing those little games/exercises is when I applied it to my trading and to the concept of "drawdown" and "maximum drawdown".

Drawdown and probability are very close, closer than what dictionaries and online glossaries lead you to think. In particular the general understanding of "maximum drawdown" is very faulty.

The existence of the concept itself of "maximum drawdown" is a sign of the problem, because "maximum drawdown" does not mean very much and is not very useful. What is useful is to assess correctly the probability of different levels of drawdown.

You see, if trading systems (and portfolios of trading systems) are like flipping coins, and they are for the purpose of our discussion (even though with different odds), then saying "maximum drawdown" of a system is like saying "maximum consecutive heads of a coin", and we know that does not mean anything, because the possible consecutive heads are infinite, and the only issue is how probable they are rather than if they are possible. In the same way "maximum drawdown" doesn't mean anything, and yet everyone is talking about it.

Drawdown Definition | Wikinvest
Reduction in account equity from a trade or series of trades.

Drawdown Definition | Investopedia
The peak-to-trough decline during a specific record period of an investment, fund or commodity.

Drawdown (economics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Drawdown is the measure of the decline from a historical peak in some variable.

Well, actually, so far, everything would seem ok. As far as the definition, I have nothing to argue, but the problem is all the assumptions that people attach to that concept, and particularly to the concept of "maximum drawdown" (even though often "drawdown" is used as a synonym for "maximum drawdown"). The problem is when people like this guy, and almost everyone, including myself until recently, write and think stuff like this (red part is bad, green part is good):
Wikinvest News - Forex Systems: What Is Drawdown?
[...]
Why Is It Useful?

Having a figure for the drawdown of a system is a very useful measure of the risk that you are likely to encounter. Clearly it depends on how much risk you are placing on each trade, so knowing this figure will help you keep your per trade risk within boundaries where your funds are not likely to be wiped out when things go against you. It gives you a worst case scenario based on past results.

If your actual loss goes to more than you have on deposit with your broker or the credit you have agreed with him, your broker will ask for more money (issue a margin call) or close your position. Having a drawdown figure for your system helps you to avoid this by making sure that your expected potential loss is covered.

Some caution is required here because you cannot assume that the past results are necessarily going to continue into the future. You should plan for a buffer, probably at least as much again.
[...]

He's first wrong, when he says "worst case scenario", then right, when he says "caution", then wrong again, when he says "at least as much again".

Now, given that - for simplification purposes - trades from systems are like tossing coins (cfr. this post), would you ever say "worst case scenario" for consecutive heads? There you go. And of course "caution" is the right word, but then again, no amount of money will make you secure from the risk of blowing out your account, so saying "probably at least as much again" is at best misleading. And yet this is what everyone has been thinking, including myself until recently. But there is no need to further discuss this: I have clarified how the concept of "maximum drawdown" as a guarantee of safety is an illusion. It's not a matter of what amount of capital makes you safe from drawdown, but of how the probability of blowing out decreases as your capital increases.

So you cannot have a capital that will make you safe from "maximum drawdown" because you cannot estimate the "maximum drawdown", which potentially is infinite. What you do know, with systems' trades as with coins is that if you toss a coin, your chance of having two heads in a row 1/2 times 1/2 equal 1/4 (25%), and so on. And that your chance of having two losses in a row with two systems (or one system producing two trades) that have 66% win rate and 33% losing rate, is 0.33 times 0.33 equal 11%.

The fact that in the past your consecutive losses are 5 at the most does not mean you won't exceed them, but it only means your past is not long enough to give you a correct assessment of the probability. So, also consecutive losses are meaningless. Percentage of wins matters, and so does size of wins.

For example, if you have 5 maximum consecutive losses with systems that have a 66% win rate, your chance of getting them is 0.33^5 = 0.4%, so having a sample of 200 trades would lead you to think that the biggest number of consecutive losses is 5. But with a sample of 1000 trades, you'd probably find out that you can also have 6 consecutive losses, since their probability is 0.33^6 = 0.14%, which means one and a half every 1000 trades. And then, with a sample of 10,000 trades, you'd find out that there is also a chance of getting 7 consecutive losses, and that is 0.33^7 = 0.05%, which means one instance every two thousands trades. So would you still regard as holy the concept of "maximum consecutive losses"? You'd probably stop using it altogether.

So, if maximum drawdown (and maximum consecutive losses) basically doesn't mean or guarantee anything, and we're only up against the probability of failure rather than the possibility of failure, then things change, a lot.

Because, once understood this much, I realized that I no longer had to wait to gather a capital that could make me "safe" from the maximum drawdown of my systems. There was no such capital. So it was only a matter of appraising the probability of failure by resuming trading with whatever capital I had (4000).

And here's what I did. First of all, resampling. I took all the backtested relativized trades of the selected portfolio, multiplied them by 10, mixed them up (by assigning a random number to each trade), and came up with a resampled data that excluded lucky combinations (one system winning after another one losing), so I assumed no (bad) correlation of all the back-tested relativized trades, but also no (good) inverse correlation, because the back-tested sample showed that my systems were somewhat inversely correlated (some losing when others winning), so I figured I couldn't assume this to be the typical scenario, I wanted to rule out what could have been a lucky combination, and preferred to base my estimates on a random sampling of the same back-tested trades. And, once again, i mixed them up randomly to avoid the risk of portfolio curve-fitting. I just repeat myself all the time, to be clear.

Then I calculated the maximum drawdowns (plural) by starting on every single day of the 65,000 days I had. Yes, once again, I am using the concept that I said was meaningless. But even then, I stressed out that... "the frequency of past losses tells us the frequency of future losses, and the frequency of strings of losses (drawdown) tells us the future likelihood of that, too". I talked about "likelihood", which means probability.

So, after 1) relativization, 2) resampling, 3) calculating the dradowns, I came up with this table:

127750d1326566717-my-journal-3-summary.jpg

I produced several other samples with 65,000 trades, and each time I got very similar values.

From the table, I figured that by starting on any given day, I had a 77% of losing 2000 dollars or less, and therefore that same chance of not blowing out my 4000 dollars account (by losing more than 2000, because at that point you can't trade anymore).

This information, even though we know reality is worse, because systems underperform in the future, tells me much more than the "maximum" drawdown, which is a laughable concept. But even that "18,000" at the end of the table doesn't mean much. It only means that, out of 65,000 days you could start trading, there's 11 days where you will blow out your account unless you have 20 thousand dollars account. But there will clearly be a chance in a million days that we will exceed that 18,000, and lose 30,000. And there will be a chance in 10 millions that we will lose 40,000 (always assuming, for simplification purposes, throughout this post, that the systems do not underperform the past, or even stop being profitable).

So, that table, too, has limits, and it's not safe, inasmuch as the concept of "maximum drawdown" is not meaningful.

However, if we can't say what risk is ahead of us, we can judge and assess properly whatever risk is behind us, and that is, 12 days ago, 77% is on our side. And now, at 9000, about 97% (with all the premises and assumptions made above).

As capital will increase, the risk of blowing out will keep decreasing, but, until the end, I will never be safe from it, unless of course, I decide that if I get too unlucky, I quit trading. But, even if I do that after being so unlucky as to start on the worst day in a million, I will still not know if my systems have failed or if they've been extremely unlucky.

So, we're basically proceeding by guesstimates, because even finding a "profitable" system is a rule-of-thumb process, as you could never exclude for sure that your system is wrong and has just been unlucky and viceversa.

Having said this, in practice, since I can't talk like I'm writing an essay all the time, how did I benefit from this probability reading?

According to my previous faulty thinking, I would not have started trading because I would have seen a 10k drawdown as the maximum drawdown, and said "hey, I will only be safe with 12k". Instead, I started, and this saved me time. But increased risk, so this is not that much of an advantage except for the fact that it gave me confidence as to the risks I would be running, and confidence is part of doing the job right.

The other benefit from probability thinking, and the most important one, is that, I used tables like the above to detect the optimal portfolio. And, unlike I did in the past, this time, I did not look for the portfolio of systems with the instance of the lowest drawdown but for the system with the least frequent and lowest drawdown. And this final point is the most important point of the whole post and of the whole probability thinking benefits.

You see, the most important is this: is it better to select a portfolio that, by starting trading on a given day, has 23% of chances to make you lose from 3k to 18k (thereby blowing out my account), or a portfolio that has 46% chance of losing from 3k to 10k (thereby, just the same, blowing out my account)? The best portfolio is clearly the first one, which however, by the common "maximum drawdown" thinking, would be the worst one. Yet, my reading up on probability made me understand, that it was better to enable 12 systems and opt for the first portfolio, than for the second, apparently "safer" one, which only trades 4 systems. Also that wikinvest article would have made you choose the safer one.

Yet the first one, not only propels itself like a rocket faster into the sky, but it also makes more money - obviously the two things are connected. So I choose a portfolio that makes more money and is less likely to blow out my account, given that at any rate, I could not lose more than 2000, and before having 10k, I would have had to wait over a year. So, what I am saying is that, for a given level of capital, you can choose an optimal portfolio according to probability think that is totally different, and much better, from the one you would have chosen based on "maximum drawdown" thinking.

Rather than a comparison between "probability" on the one side and "maximum drawdown", since I want to simplify things and be logical, and use the most common terms, I would define it a comparison between "maximum drawdown" and "frequency of maximum drawdowns" as methods to select a portfolio of trading systems. And I would conclude that the second method is much better, since "maximum drawdown" does not exist to begin with. Ok, and with this perfect summary, I am done.

[...]

Not done yet. This whole post proposed a comparison between two methods for selecting portfolios of trading systems: one which considers the extent of the biggest fall - max drawdown, which doesn't mean anything, because the sample is limited, and in reality the biggest fall doesn't exist - and the other which considers the frequency of all the falls. This comparison explains how it is preferable to consider all the falls rather than the biggest fall, by making the following points:

1) you cannot estimate the biggest fall ("maximum drawdown"), which is potentially infinite, but can only estimate the probability of different falls.

2) since you cannot estimate the biggest fall, no capital is ever enough for you to invest safely

3) since, no matter how much money you have, you won't have enough to invest safely, you can only decide how much to risk based on the probabilities you know

4) this equates two people, one with 1 million, but willing to risk 2000, and one with 2000 and willing to risk 2000.

5) if you have a capital of 4000 (that stops trading with a loss of 2000), the best way to select your portfolio is therefore not the portfolio that has the lowest maximum drawdown (which doesn't exist), but the one that has the least probability of making you lose that 2000 dollars, therefore the portfolio with the least frequency of drawdowns above 2000 dollars.

There's much more to selecting a portfolio of trading systems, but so far I can only say this much, which is already a lot. I will need a lot more math to solve other questions.

What amazes me is that I know a few people with a scientific background who didn't even get this far and keep applying that meaningless application of maximum drawdown (which I explained above), and they've gotten me to do the same until recently.

So I guess it is not just a question of how much math you know, but also of how you use it.

[...]

Let's take it even further, in clarifying this whole thing.

In my choice of the systems to be included in the portfolio I had these requirements:

1) my capital was 4000

2) I wanted to make at least 1000 per month

Given these requirements, I had to look for the portfolio with the lowest probability of blowing out. And I found what I found (the 12 systems), but let's review the logical steps I followed.

The resampling came afterwards (I had been trading for 2 days already). I started off by using the relativized back-tested trades to screen for the optimal portfolio.

The first choice was to trade just the one system that worked the best (great sharpe ratio, low margin, and low absolute drawdown). Its table looked like this:

Snap2.jpg

This is ok, but it did not make the money I wanted to make, but only 500 per month on average, and I would have spent months without any action. Not good enough.

So I kept adding many other very good systems, and combinations thereof, and realized that they did not make enough money AND they had a higher probability of blowing out than the whole 12 of them put together:

Snap3.jpg

So the trick, and it's really counter-intuitive, is that the (deceitful concept of) "maximum drawdown" increases as the number of systems traded increases, but the probability of blowing out actually has a tendency to decrease.

This, I suppose, happens because the rate at which the drawdown increases is not as strong as the rate at which profit increases, so yes, there will be bigger falls if you trade 12 systems than if you trade 6, as a tendency, but there will be many more rises, too, and, given the profitability of the systems, the rises will more than compensate the falls. So, when the bigger falls happens, you're much higher up in the equity line, and the bigger drawdown affects you less.

Ultimately, by trading more (profitable) systems, you tend to, at once, make more money and risk less. And by increasing the absolute maximum drawdown of your (profitable) portfolio, you're actually decreasing your probability of blowing out the account. It is very counter-intuitive but it tends to happen.

Because there will be situations where the greater amount of losses from the great amount of systems will combine to produce a greater amount of drawdown, but, given that the systems are profitable, these greater losses will be more than compensated by the more frequent situations where the greater amount of wins from the greater amount of systems will combine to produce greater amount of "draw-ups" (rises in the equity curve), which will more than compensate the increased drawdown, which is only increased in absolute terms and not in % terms - and I think but it's only a guesstimate that this is caused by the positive effect of diversification (rather than by the law of large numbers).

Last edited:
daily enigma: why doesn't roubini speak italian?

I was watching bloomberg tv, and, as often seems to be the case on Bloomberg, Roubini was being interviewed. So, I didn't even know who he is, because I never read anything on economics, and I did my search:
Nouriel Roubini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was wondering, with that name and accent, where the heck he was from. He didn't sound French, nor German... so here it is:
Nouriel Roubini was born in Istanbul, Turkey, to Iranian Jewish parents.[1] When he was an infant, his family lived briefly in Iran and Israel. From 1962 to 1983 he resided in Italy, especially in Milan, where he attended the local Jewish school and then the Bocconi University, earning a B.A., summa cum laude, in economics.

So, ok, this guy lived in Italy from 3 years old to 24 years old, and would you guess he speaks Italian? Impossible that he doesn't. It also says in Wikipedia:
He is a U.S. citizen and speaks English, Persian, Italian, and Hebrew.
But guess what. Check this out:

"il53" Periodico di Politica & InformAZIONE tributraia - YouTube

Intervista a Nouriel Roubini - TG1 del 21.02.2008 - YouTube

Panel "L'economia mondiale sotto la lente" - 3a parte. Gli speciali CNBC al Forum Ambrosetti 2009 - YouTube

Each time he's interviewed in Italian and he answers in English. But to make matters even worse, he speaks English with an Italian accent!

So, first of all, I would rule out that he doesn't want people to know that he speaks Italian (he's interviewed in Italian, without earpieces in sight) and would rule out that he is ashamed of speaking Italian with Italian interviewers in Italy (on top of it, in the last video above there's the French Jean-Paul Fitoussi who speaks Italian himself, with a French accent, and this makes Roubini look really odd to me, since he's practically Italian and yet persists in speaking English). The only answer I can give to this mystery is that, from early on, he decided that he'd be taken more seriously if he always spoke English in every public appearance. I'm going to do the same with my colleagues, starting tomorrow.

Last edited:
Probability theory: Combinations vs. Permutations

Combinations and Permutations
In English we use the word "combination" loosely, without thinking if the order of things is important. In other words:

two-speech.gif
"My fruit salad is a combination of apples, grapes and bananas". We don't care what order the fruits are in, they could also be "bananas, grapes and apples" or "grapes, apples and bananas", its the same fruit salad.

two-speech.gif
"The combination to the safe was 472". Now we do care about the order. "724" would not work, nor would "247". It has to be exactly 4-7-2.

So, in Mathematics we use more precise language:

dot-blue.gif
If the order doesn't matter, it is a Combination.
dot-blue.gif
If the order does matter it is a Permutation.

combination-lock.jpg

So, we should really call this a "Permutation Lock"!

In other words:
A Permutation is an ordered Combination.

The site (mathsisfun.com) goes on to explain everything about calculating combinations and permutations, in just one page. There's no need to read 500 pages books, or books by Ralph Vince. Everything needed for trading is in websites such as this one, "aimed at Kinder to Year 12". When you teach children you're forced to simplify and synthesize. There's no bull**** in these websites for children, no scams, no nothing. That's the best place to learn things: websites for children. Because the most intelligent teachers, such as Khan and Rod Pierce, are those teaching children.

Guilty - by Al Bowlly, from Amelie, cover by Zoe! - YouTube

Ok, so, now I am trying to exemplify the possible permutations and combinations and the ways to solve them, all based on that website for children. This is just about calculating the total number of possible outcomes of an experiment/test, rather than the number of ways an event can occur. (The probability of an event A is the ratio of the two). So I am really going back to the foundations of probability after having covered everything already on this other website:
Probability

So, regarding the number of possible outcomes and calculating it, here is a good summary:

Snap1.jpg

Also, I am attaching an excel workbook where I compared my calculations regarding the theoretical probability of an event (with dice rolling) to the statistics of thousands of dice being rolled:
View attachment PROB_vs_STATS-possible_outcomes_from_two_dice.xls

They match almost perfectly, thanks to the law of large numbers:
Law of large numbers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In probability theory, the law of large numbers (LLN) is a theorem that describes the result of performing the same experiment a large number of times. According to the law, the average of the results obtained from a large number of trials should be close to the expected value, and will tend to become closer as more trials are performed.

Brightstorm.com gives a good example of the difference between combinations and permutations:
Combinations and Permutations - Free Math Video by Brightstorm

But the best of the best is this calculator here, because it sums it all up, both theory and practice:
Combinations and Permutations Calculator

It's a little gem, and believe it or not, it happens to be on a website "aimed at Kinder to Year 12":
About Maths is Fun

Actually also wolfram does it, and very efficiently, but it is not as clear and I could not find out how to set the option for replacement/repetition:
3p2 - Wolfram|Alpha
3c2 - Wolfram|Alpha

Bologna - In the centuries - YouTube

I've done it over and over again, and I now have clear the four categories in my mind, but I am far from remembering, as if they were second nature, these implications and the formulas. I try drawing the four different cases, like here...

i3.jpg

...but I'll need a lot more practice before I can really ace these simple formulas. Khan Academy has no exercises on these, so I am stuck. The structure is clear, but I need to work on it a lot more.

In the meanwhile I've started my systems for tomorrow. Tomorrow I'll have to go to work again, to the usual... free thinkers hideout. To the usual colleague who tells me about how we are... united by our integrity. And then he goes on to make two hours of phone calls, before taking a two hour long lunch break, and after coming to work one and a half hour late.

I've calculated that I won't need to take much longer of this. According to my probability estimates. You see, my relatives and my friends all think it is a crime to quit your job. But if I go up from 9000 to even just 20k, my estimate is that I'll be able to make about 2k per month, and spend them, with a risk of blowing out at 11 per 65,000, which is roughly 0.02%, or 2 in 10,000:

127750d1326566717-my-journal-3-summary.jpg

They say that unless i have saved a million it is not safe to quit my job. But 1 chance in 5000 of blowing out means I will incur in that one 1 day on average once every 20 years of trading, calculating 250 days per year... so... it's not safe yet.

Because when it'll happen, I'll still wish I hadn't quit my job.

Damn.

And until I'll be above that figure, 20k, I'll be at risk of that event happening, within the next 20 years. Because it is likely to happen once. I need something that happens once every 200 years.

I'm gonna need 40k to really be safe trading this portfolio. Of course in the meanwhile, especially while I have my job but even later, no one says that I have to spend this money made. I could keep most of it on the account.

Of course if everything went like the past two weeks, I'd reach safety (relative safety, of course, because we're always talking about probability) within a few months. But it definitely won't (once again, I can't be totally sure of this either).

Right now I estimate my probability of blowing out at... the table above says 2%, but I'd say 5% to be safe.

It is not a lot but it could happen. If it does not happen it means I will go above the 20k required in the table. But even then, a probability pf blowing out will still be there, because my excel workbook only had 65,000 rows, so I don't know what they are exactly with more days. I would need millions of rows to know exactly. But you know, considering those 65,000 rows... wait, maybe I got it wrong. 65,000 rows means only 65,000 trades rather than days, so things are worse than what I thought. Considering that the trades were 3,500 in 8 years and some months, and 430 per year, then I have to divide 65,000 by 430 to get the years my systems will last.

151 years, and I won't get losses bigger than 18k.

(Of course, for simplification purposes, I am ignoring that my systems might stop working or work worse, but also that capital will increase).

Yeah, I can't say that 20k of capital will be safe, because I could get unlucky.

I mean: a chance of 11 in 151... forget the years again. Let's count the 11 chances in 65,000 trades: this really means that, by starting at any time, I have one chance in 6000 trades of blowing out my account.

BUT.

But this is counting on the fact that I don't touch my capital and I let it increase. If instead, once I get to let's say 19k of capital, I start spending the profit from there on, then this means that by trading and spending the capital in excess of 17k, for 6000 trades and 14 years, my chance of blowing out goes to 5999/6000 raised to the power of 6000, which is 37%.

So this is not good.

If I add to this that I might have to add systems, change some, due to the fact they'll stop working maybe, then things are even worse.

I would say that I could be safe (so to speak) with a capital of 40k, and making a bit less than 10% per month. This would make me safe for centuries.

So, ok. Also, considering that I won't spend everything but I'll keep some of it on the account (without increasing leverage), I could definitely quit my job with a capital of 40k.

How long will that take?

Considering a relativized profit of 360k in 8 years, it would take me... 9 months. Then I'll be making almost 4k per month anway, so I can definitely save and make the investment even safer.

Now, if I were to listen to relatives and such, I would have to:

1) make a million
2) invest some of it in houses and none of it left to trading
3) quit trading
4) retire

Sorry, but I wasn't born rich, so this is no good, but just a way to tell me that I can't quit my job.

But they have a point. You're not completely safe if you actually rely on the money you make from trading to make a living, because for one reason or another the systems could stop working, and I'd be in trouble.

So what would be ideal is increase my part-time schedule until I only have to work one day per year in order to not officially quit my job. But this not possible obviously.

So I am kind of screwed. Also because I cannot take on outside investors, given that no one really offers me a good deal. All the good offers ("please take my money and do whatever you want with it") came to me when I could not accept them, because I was busy with other investors, and then when I was finally free, they all withdrew their offers, all five of them, all within one month.

Everything else (not much, because I didn't market them) is just people interested in having my systems, which is not acceptable. Especially after previous experiences. Then there's this guy from italy, who offered me 1500 dollars (cfr.previous posts), actually he was offering more, but I needed only 1500, and he was bargaining my non-negotiable offer, so I totally quit the table of negotiations, and haven't heard from him ever since, also because I blocked his email.

What lies ahead for me?

Some risk. More than I'd like. Risk of not making it, or never feeling safe (so to speak).

The alternative is keeping my job, and then I'll be the richest employee there, because I'll have the income from trading and from my job at the bank.

I cannot make a million overnight, because... let's calculate it.

In order to make 100% per month, I would simply invest all the capital I have all the time. I did it before, and after a few months of doubling every month, I ended up blowing out the account.

In this case, I can roughly calculate it.

Every time I re-start with capital invested = margin needed, I am risking, every single time, a 25% probability of blowing out, which is what I risked two weeks ago when I started. I knew i'd lose the 2k or go up very quickly. And I went up.

Right now I could double up, and this, if I got lucky, would mean a 100% every month more or less.

Being lucky would mean 75% or not blowing out multiplied by 75% and... more raised to the fourth in case I did this four times (which would not be enough to make a million but only 32k). The result is that I'd go from a chance of survival of 75% to a chance of 31%. So if I did this not 4 but even just 3 times, I would be more likely to blow out the account than to survive.

Since I don't want this, I cannot expect to make 100% a month. But the % made will be less and less, as capital will increase, leverage will stay the same, and investing will be safer and safer.

So, instead of having the dollar sign in my eyes like Scrooge McDuck, I should talk myself into being happy with what i'll have:

1) no worries about taking cabs, because I'll be able to afford them
2) no worries about being in debt because I'll quickly repay the 6500 I still owe my bank
3) no worries about being fired because they'd do me a favor
4) no worries about spending money on the weekend

I still will not treat anyone to lunch anymore, because that is the fastest way to waste money and run out of it. For now I'll forget the dreams of grandeur and just focus on the little things I can do with my capital and profit, in order of importance:

1) not blow out the account
2) build it up all the way to 15k, then start paying back my debt
3) recover the account in the red

Little things now, rather than big things tomorrow. It's the desire for big things tomorrow, that keeps smaller things from happening today.

I have a micro account, and I need to keep my dreams relatively small, or they'll destroy my account.

The first thing is to keep the account going. Then, like Colonel Slade says... "big things may happen to that little thing of yours".

Sasquatch music festival 2009 - Guy starts dance party - YouTube

I'd either be the guy starting the dance or the one who never gets up in the green t-shirt. But even better, I'd be the guy who's not in the video, because he stayed home.

Last edited:
Ok, I am back at work. Pretty decent sleep. I came late, of course, but when I come late I don't steal from the bank: I take one hour off, from my vacation time. Now instead I am actually stealing, so to speak, because I am not working. But I am doing so, 10% to the extent of what everyone else is doing it. My colleague instead is higher up in ranking, so when he comes late, he just steals from the bank, because his time doesn't get computed. All he needs to do is show up once a day. And that's what he does.

This is what people do here. They kiss up, and plot, in order to get promoted just enough to not have to be timed in their entry and exit time. Then they start slacking off, and stop kissing up.

I am better. I work for the sake of working. But nobody gives a **** about conscientious workers, so I never get promoted. I don't give a **** either, and I keep working for the sake of doing things properly. If you just work anyway, what do they care about motivating you? They'd rather promote those who kiss up to them, those who complain. They're definitely not wasting promotions on those who are working regardless of promotions.

But I was raised to not go to teachers and ask them to raise my score on an exam, so I apply the same rule for promotions. It would be a demeaning thing to do for me, and it would not be fair to put pressure on someone who has the right to judge me, however he decides. I don't care if they are unfair, but I won't put pressure on someone who's supposed to judge me. Up to them to do me injustice, as they do. I won't be doing any preemptive screwing to avoid being screwed.

So I am just happy with having a clean conscience, because I do my work well, and don't screw around. I don't care to achieve a promotion by complaining or kissing up. Better to be paid less and not kissing up to anyone. The difference is only a few hundred dollars anyway.

I am going to focus on the Statistics course here:
AP Statistics Tutorial: Regression Analysis Example

It looks very promising, because I've seen great topics ahead, but right now it has a very "steep" learning curve (so to speak, cfr. this post and this wikipedia entry). It's a lot of work, and for many lessons you have nothing but technical jargon to learn. A lot of memorization and little understanding. It's like crossing the desert.

Last edited:
Back at home.

Lost some some money. Total of 100 dollars, partly from a trade and partly from the exchange rate.

The day went by pretty well with the colleague being quiet all day long. This is too much. I wish he could find a balance between talking and being quiet. He's either clowning all day long or he doesn't talk at all. If I need to choose between these two choices, then I'll opt for the total silence, no doubts about it. I just hope he's not too upset at me being serious, because he might ask for a room change. I'd like to have a quiet roommate who doesn't ask for room changes.

I was speaking of how I need to relax and enjoy what I have now, the small things I have, as far as trading and capital. One good thing I just noticed and I will remind myself of is that the account at IB and the account at my bank are almost the same - one positive and one negative (including the loan I am paying back). So I could almost proudly celebrate being at a break-even point - no debts. For me this is an achievement at this point.

The only problem is that the euros are not the same as the dollars, so I am still in debt.

The new balance sheet where i monitor every expense and balance on every account is very useful, in that it tells me "don't treat anyone to dinner yet". I can easily tell that former neighbour "forget about it", whenever, once a month, she tries to manipulate me into treating her to dinner. This is a thing of the past. It won't happen, probably never happen again, because, after spending 2000 euros in 3 years on dinners for this bitch, I am done with being exploited by her. If she wants she can come to my house and cook dinner with me. I'll wash the dishes as usual.

Last edited:
still trying to make sense of combinations and permutations formulas

Ok, as I said in the post above, I am back at home now. Since I have done khan review exercises, and all that Stat Trek work at the office, now at home I will focus on the permutations and combinations again, because it is fascinating, it has a comfortable learning curve (I can't use "steep" or "shallow" any more, because I've read it doesn't make sense in the common usage) and because I still haven't figured it out well enough to continue in my studying of probability.

I will continue from yesterday's post:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/140032-my-journal-3-a-36.html#post1777216

I will use extensively this calculator:

And I will work at this pace:

Comptine d'Un Autre Été- Die fabelhafte Welt der Amélie Piano [Large Version 2010] - YouTube

So, ok.

The kindergarten website on probability is not enough. I need to simplify it further.

I need examples.

Order doesn't matter with combinations. What is the best example for me, so I can really relate to it?

Trades. Trades are interchangeable and should interchangeable for my reasoning. So the example for combinations will be trades.

What is the example for permutations?

**** this.

Let's just use letters for all four situations, otherwise I'd be comparing apples to oranges, and won't see the differences.

I am using all letters. And I am using a combination/permutation of six letters at the most.

ABCDEF

I am going to try and proceed now without reading the answer, the theory, nor checking the online calculator.

Ok, I have six letters, and I have to know how 2 of them interact, in all cases.

How many combinations (order doesn't matter) of these 2 letters out of the six can I have?

With repetition/replacement first:

How many times can I combine two of these letters together, including twice the same letter, and regardless of order?

Ok, so: AA, BB, CC, DD, EE, FF. And this is six.

Then AB, AC, AD, AE, AF.

This goes on until the end, but with one letter less each time, because the preceding one has already been combined with it.

BC, BD, BE, BF
CD, CE, CF
DE, DF

So, let me count them again:

AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF
BB, BC, BD, BE, BF
CC, CD, CE, CF
DD, DE, DF
EE, EF
FF

The total of 5c2, combination with repetition/replacement, should be... 21.

Why doesn't it work?

Let me see the calculator:

It says 15. What did I do wrong?

Oh, wait, I have to use 6c2...

Oh, good. It works and it perfectly matches, too.

So this is done.

Now the same thing, but without repetition.

No, wait, first let's see the formula they prescribe for doing this.

Damn, it's the hardest one:

combinations-repeat.png

Ok, so it's (6 + 2 -1)! divided by 2! (6 - 1)!

So, 7! divided by 5!, so it's 7 times 6 = 42 divided by 2 = 21

So what do they do here? I just can't figure it out. Ok. They divide by 2 because order doesn't matter. They divide by 5! because... why?

Why isn't it _ _ so 6 times 6?

In the first place it could be any of six letters. And so in the second place. Oh, wait... right. If I place AB, and order doesn't matter, then it's the same as BA.

I am totally lost. This is driving me crazy.

I need some more youtube videos. But let's first approach the others.

At least I got it right manually, so I know what it's about.

Now, combination without replacement/repetition.

AB, AC, AD, AE, AF
BC, BD, BE, BF
CD, CE, CF
DE, DF
EF

This is 15. Let's see their formula:
combinations-no-repeat.png

Wolfram has it matching, too:
6c2 - Wolfram|Alpha

Ok, so this would be 6! divided by 2! because order doesn't matter (and AB is the same as BA) and divided by 4! because only two numbers are being mixed, and not all six numbers. Again, it's not perfectly clear. But it's 6 times 5 divided by 2, and it is 15.

Let's now do permutations where order matters.

First the one where repetition is allowed.

You know, I was just thinking about this. I forgot how I got to think of this. If the south pole is centered in antarctica, then how can you point the map? It will not go from north at top and south at bottom, but from north at top and north at bottom, and the center is the south. So would you say southern antarctica to mean central antarctica? How do you go about plotting a map that doesn't have one north?

And yet they have this article:
6.5 magnitude earthquake rocks Southern Antarctica

What the heck is southern antarctica? The same problem should happen at the 180th meridian:
180th meridian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you're there, you have west to the right, and east to the left.

Back to the fascinating subject of permutations.

So, if order matters and repetition is allowed, it goes like this.

AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF
BB, BA, BC, BD, BE, BF

It should be 6 times 6, and it is in fact n raised to r.

So this is easy and it was clear.

Then, finally permutations without repetition:
6p2 - Wolfram|Alpha

6 times 5, and this makes sense, because each potential letter is combined with each other of the five letters.

The formula at mathsisfun.com is this:
permutation-no-repeat.png

So, ok, I've finally got permutations all figured out in terms of formulas and practical examples, too.

Let me go back to combinations to see if I can at least figure one of them out.

Combine any two numbers out of six...

Ok, I am getting there. The way to really make sense of this is to proceed, rather than by grouping combination vs permutation, by grouping with repetition vs without repetition.

So first we see that without repetition, the permutation is 6 times 5:

A
B
C
D
E
F

Each letter gets multiplied by the other letters, and order matters, so it's 6 times 5 = 30.

Then, if order doesn't matter, it is 6 times 5 divided by two (it might be different if r is more than 2), because AB will be the same as BA, and the same for all other permutations.

So far it's clear.

Now we have those that include the repetition. And it's the tough one.

For permutations, it is n raised to r, because these letters can be permuted with all letters including themselves:

A
B
C
D
E
F

Then the hardest one and the only one left is what happens if order doesn't matter?

The repetition is not affected.

Well, with repetition we simply add the six double letters, and for the rest nothing changes, so why do I find this so hard?

Because this explanation is not clear at all (the last one, titled "combinations with repetition"):

It makes no difference from the other formula, and you just add six.

But the problem is that mine is not a general formula and only works for this case where there are 2 out of 6.

I now either have the choice to memorize their formulas and trust them, knowing that they work, but I'll always be left with doubts about not understanding all the implications of this. Or I can spend several more days trying to figure it all out so I don't have to memorize.

That was the big problem with me and math in school. They went so fast that I was forced to memorize and i don't like to not understand everything. So pretty soon I stopped liking math, the way it's done in school. Learning stuff you don't care about, and moving on before you can even understand it, with no choice but memorization.

I've got some energy left to keep trying to understand this. I will look for some videos on youtube.

Khan has four videos on this, which I hadn't watched (no exercises on them). This is the first one:

Permutations and Combinations 1 - YouTube

Ok, this is clear, but doesn't enlighten me about the formula.

The next one is this:

Permutations and Combinations 2 - YouTube

Clear, again, but not enough for me.

Next one:

Permutations and Combinations 3 - YouTube

Much better. Almost there.

This explained to me perfectly the "combination without repetition" formula:
combinations-no-repeat.png

Now I am only one explanation away from being satisfied. And it's the explanation of the formula for the "combination WITH repetition" formula.

This isn't it. It just repeats the previous subject:

Permutations and Combinations 4 - YouTube

But at least that subject is even clearer now. Thanks, khan.

Actually this last video told you how to calculate your chances of winning the lottery. Pretty awesome stuff.

No luck for an explanation of that "combination with repetition" formula:
combinations-repeat.png

This damn formula is driving me crazy.

Here's more videos by other educators:

Discrete Math 2-Tutorial 6- Combinations w/repetition Part 1 - YouTube

Nice humor there: "a lifeless girl tosses a coin...". Dry humour I suppose, during a youtube math lecture. Anyway, that didn't clarify my doubts. It just dishes out the formula.

Ok, last try for today:

Combinations (with and without repetition) - YouTube

Ok, dishing out formulas again.

My only chance is to go back to mathsisfun and see if I manage to understand them or not:

Nope. I had forgotten.

Tomorrow I am going to give it a shot with the two .pdf textbooks I found online:
Introduction to Probability by Grinstead and Snell
A Short Introduction to Probability by Kroese

It will also give me a chance to get acquainted with them. Actually not "a chance", but the "certainty", since we're speaking of probability.

Last edited: