Forex trading live calls and set ups

I am thinking of closing this thread (Beachtrader voted a No)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You're using metatrader, right? Go here for a tutorial. You can also download a few ea's from the site. Open them in the editor and look at how they are written.
http://book.mql4.com

I use both metatrader and ninjatrader.
Some of my stuff cant be coded into metatrader anyway.

Some things, I just want audio alerts added and stuff, but im just too stupid to do it! Believe me, i've tried to learn. I thought id have the capacity in my brain to pick it up because both my dad and brother are computer programers, but I guess I must be the postmans son or something!

Its not a huge deal at the moment because im only really looking at the ES ans and cable, and so am unlikely to miss signals, although i did miss a great one on cable this morning that would have given +30 or so...

going OK. Got a bit beaten up yesterday.
It's been so biased to the upside for what seems like an eternity! All my longs make money and all my shorts get stopped out!

You'll just have to drop your shorts :whistling
(not while Arabian is around)

Peter

ok, guys, my head is pounding now. I'm taking some pills and laying down for a while. Be back later. Good luck everyone!

Peter

one bad morning followed by a bad afternoon.
after the mauling I got this morning, I traded the EU and GU lightly.
Sure enough, I got the direction, but the recovery hampered by me using partial stakes.
Might take rest of week off. In a tailspin.

WP: get some rest for that head of yours. I too will have a headache soon, once I find something blunt and heavy to hit myself with.

EDIT: took 2 lots of -20s each on EU and GU. It was the 4 consecs that spooked me. But I could have had recovered easily with a 50 each on the EU and GU.

Hi guys, I've been mostly lurking here and am not in a position to post live yet. However I've got a couple of comments to make about Simon's (ChowClow) excellent posting of his trades which I hope might be thought provoking.

Firstly I noticed yesterday that you took a 123 EJ and 123 EU trade at the same time. It was clear from the charts that you posted that the two markets were moving pretty much in unison so effectively you've got the same trade on twice and instead of risking 0.5% you in fact have a 1% trade on. This is something which bothers me in my trading when I have the same set-up occurring across markets which are currently highly correlated. I usually just pick one market and trade that one. Another solution is to trade half sizes in each market but I would be interested to hear any other suggestions. You may of course feel that it's important to take every trade in your chosen markets come what may which I can fully understand.

Secondly, on the VEBO GU BO this morning I know that you arrived late and so missed the entry. However you elected to put a limit order in instead at the original entry price should it retrace back there (which it did). I'd just like to point out that the trouble with doing this is that the expected (i.e. average) profit for doing this is not the same as if you'd put the original order in on time. The easiest way to think about it is as follows: imagine that the outcomes from your trade stop entry are:
a) it powers off and hits your profit target
b) it goes off, comes back to your original entry point before reaching the profit target
c) it goes off, comes back and stops you out.

If you put the trade on correctly then a) and b) are winners so in our very simplistic example you've a 66% chance of winning. If however you arrive late so miss the original entry then you'll never get filled if a) occurs but you will still get a fill in scenario b) or c). This means that trading for a retracement only has a 50% chance of success. I know that this is simplistic but it does illustrate the fact that the chance of success, given that it retraces back to your original entry isn't the same as it was before you put your stop order on and it may in fact be a net loser. When you arrive late it may actually be better to give up on the trade: you won't know for sure unless you specifically test out the scenario.

Hope you don't mind these comments which are in no way intended to be criticism but instead helpful or at least thought provoking.

Hi guys, I've been mostly lurking here and am not in a position to post live yet. However I've got a couple of comments to make about Simon's (ChowClow) excellent posting of his trades which I hope might be thought provoking.

Firstly I noticed yesterday that you took a 123 EJ and 123 EU trade at the same time. It was clear from the charts that you posted that the two markets were moving pretty much in unison so effectively you've got the same trade on twice and instead of risking 0.5% you in fact have a 1% trade on. This is something which bothers me in my trading when I have the same set-up occurring across markets which are currently highly correlated. I usually just pick one market and trade that one. Another solution is to trade half sizes in each market but I would be interested to hear any other suggestions. You may of course feel that it's important to take every trade in your chosen markets come what may which I can fully understand.

Secondly, on the VEBO GU BO this morning I know that you arrived late and so missed the entry. However you elected to put a limit order in instead at the original entry price should it retrace back there (which it did). I'd just like to point out that the trouble with doing this is that the expected (i.e. average) profit for doing this is not the same as if you'd put the original order in on time. The easiest way to think about it is as follows: imagine that the outcomes from your trade stop entry are:
a) it powers off and hits your profit target
b) it goes off, comes back to your original entry point before reaching the profit target
c) it goes off, comes back and stops you out.

If you put the trade on correctly then a) and b) are winners so in our very simplistic example you've a 66% chance of winning. If however you arrive late so miss the original entry then you'll never get filled if a) occurs but you will still get a fill in scenario b) or c). This means that trading for a retracement only has a 50% chance of success. I know that this is simplistic but it does illustrate the fact that the chance of success, given that it retraces back to your original entry isn't the same as it was before you put your stop order on and it may in fact be a net loser. When you arrive late it may actually be better to give up on the trade: you won't know for sure unless you specifically test out the scenario.

Hope you don't mind these comments which are in no way intended to be criticism but instead helpful or at least thought provoking.

Great post, AG...and really good to see you :) Has indeed helped me, the mathematical midget that i am. Trust all's well with you. (y)

We have almost 200 pip range in eurusd today so perhaps a bit toppy for now. Waiting for a break of the trendline (yellow). 1st target would be the red support line.

Peter

Attachments

• eurusd 006.gif
    eurusd 006.gif
    11 KB · Views: 123
We're trading under the trendline now, but price broke through in a sideways manner, no real downward direction.
I'm setting a sell stop @ 1.3217 which is 1 pip below the lowest price so far beneath the line, subject to cancel if the sideways action continues for maybe 2 more candles.

Peter

Great post, AG...and really good to see you :) Has indeed helped me, the mathematical midget that i am. Trust all's well with you. (y)

Good to see you too :) I'm enjoying your posts which are wonderfully clear and easy to follow and I applaud your discipline in taking your trades. Nice to see that you're still using the trusty VEBO! Am I correct in understanding from your journal that, risking 0.5% to 1% per trade, you're up about 40% since mid September? Excellent stuff and most inspiring!

I'm still mostly doing research for others though I'm looking to get my own personal FX trading off the ground now and am working quite hard at it. I don't think that I'll be posting live any time soon but will continue to lurk around here making the odd comment.

Ciao Chow!

pips below us, drifting, falling... coming home...
Variation of "Major Tom" by Peter Schilling

Peter

exit 1.3205 +12

Trade took way too long. My bad for failing to realize it US lunch hour. D'OH
all out now

Peter

Hi Dinos, no it's not a typo. I know it's still a fair way away but I've got a limit sell order in there.

Hi TD, nice to see you posting live calls.Is it going to be a regular thing?I hope so.In my early days I often followed your threads.As your a mentor now,arent you taking a risk with live calls. I dont know of any mentor on this site ever that has been prepared to demonstrate what he preaches. Good luck