Forex Day Trader's Thread

Yes, but it needed to hold 1.47 to keep the upside potential open and it did.. That was a pretty spectacular failure at 1.50 or so but then again the downside failed in a similar fashion the day before

Cable is slightly overbought on the daily MACD, not quite on the stochastics.. MACD Histogram still positive.. Really nothing great on the daily charts..

My strategy on Cable will be to sell a break of 1.47 support with an extremely tight stop, or buy a bounce with an extremely tight stop..

That is an incredibly long wick on yesterday's candle however.. if you look on the dailies the last time we saw a wick like that Cable plummeted over the next week. However, that day (Oct 23 or 24th) closed lower than the previous day while yesterday closed higher than the previous day. Take a look at the charts and you'll see it..

I would try to long GBPUSD tml. with a stop that will be close to 1.4650. i still think its going up for a while more.

yep, looks like it jumped up 100 pips over the weekend.. We might try to break resistance one more time. Great short opportunity at 1.50 but watch the stop run..

woot. this could be it. this could be the continuation of the trend already. today i was short eurusd, cadjpy and long eurgbp. looks potentially good now.

European Union chops growth forecasts

By William L. Watts, MarketWatch
Last update: 9:22 a.m. EST Jan. 19, 2009Comments: 2LONDON (MarketWatch) -- The European Union on Monday predicted a deep slump for the 16-nation euro zone, forecasting a 1.9% contraction in gross domestic product across the 16-nation region in 2009 -- the first full-year contraction since the single currency was introduced a decade ago.
The new forecasts from the European Commission, the E.U.'s executive branch, mark a call for an unprecedented slowdown from growth of 0.9% in 2008 and a sharp downgrade from Brussels' projection last November of 0.1% growth this year.
For 2010, the E.U. expects growth to rebound by 0.4% -- a level some economists say could prove too optimistic.
Unemployment is forecast to rise from 7.5% in 2008 to 9.3% this year and 10.2% in 2010. Inflation is set to fade from 3.3% to 1% in 2009, then push back to 1.8% in 2010.
The commission said the global financial crisis is now taking a significant toll on the real economy, boosting the risk of a "negative feedback loop" between the financial sector and the real economy that could be stronger and longer lasting than assumed in the current projections.
Efforts by governments and central banks "so far have prevented a systemic meltdown and the situation has improved in some market segments," the commission's report said, "but the overall situation remains fragile."
But economists at Brown Brothers Harriman said the estimates underscored worries that euro-zone officials haven't gone far enough.
"Unprecedented economic conditions require unprecedented macroeconomic responses and unlike in the U.S. or in the U.K., there is still a feeling that the euro zone is behind the curve, both on the fiscal and on the monetary policy front," they wrote.
European Central Bank President Jean-Claude Trichet last week signaled the ECB would likely cut its key interest rate further but not until March, after moving Thursday to match the benchmark's all-time low of 2%, economists said. See full story.
The German government last week approved a 50 billion euro stimulus plan for 2009-10 after data showed the euro-zone's biggest economy was suffering sharply from a plunge in demand for its exports amid slowing world growth.
Also Monday, Standard & Poor's Ratings Services lowered its long-term sovereign credit rating on Spain to AA+ from AAA, citing structural weakness in the Spanish economy. See full story.
Outside the euro zone, the E.U. also cut its forecast for the British economy. British GDP is now expected to contract 2.8% in 2009 and to grow by just 0.2% in 2010, the commission said, a major downgrade from the autumn forecast calling for a 1% fall in GDP in 2009.

I woke up late.. I wonder if this is the beginning of the run to 1.16 in Euro and 1.37 in Cable.. They both tried to make a run for the top and failed miserably.

Without NY the price action is incredibly boring.. I'm going to go watch TV until the Japanese get things rolling.. We could see all European currencies tank hard, but then again I don't trust the price action lately since I've had no less than 4 false breakouts in less than a week..

I'm currently 2 lots long USD/CHF 1.13 t/p 1.152 s/l 1.121 .. Leaving Cable alone for now until the Japanese come on the scene.

yeah..incredible boring.. i am not involved in forex pip..
i shorted cotton march 49.50, but i will bail out around 50.50

otherwise i will keepp it,last price 49

could be gapping down, if i am lucky tomorrow

dollar strengthening against all major currencies. I think sterling will continue to fall against the dollar, I will short again before market open here in London.

You should get into forex man.. this really looks like a big move downward brewing.. I'm short 2 lots EUR/USD and short 2 lots AUD/USD both up about 35 pips.. 2 lots long USD/CHF up 40 pips.. Will convert to a 50 pip trailing stop when they reach +50

great day, im looking to unwind my short gbp/dollar soon. I am thinking of shorting USD/CAD, there is resistance at about 1.2650ish. But if this flight to safety continues and oil carries on falling, this could easily break resistance.