Dow 2007

From a personal finance point of view, my opinion is that if you can't pay for it in cash then you can't have it - Obviously exlcuding houses... Like for example, as you all know i like my ferrari's and i'm member of this pistonhead forums. On there a lot of people do have ferrari's and lambo's, but the majority of the cars are financed to the max. Yeah fair enough, a few of them are city traders who finances their toys because they can put 140k to better use then dumping it in a car thats gonna go down in value. A lot of them tho earn 40-50k, have two kids, a mortgage etc, but because the credit is easy to get hold of, they've financed themselves up to their eye balls spending it on crap that they really can't afford.... Thats just one example - nothing like digging a hole for yourself and everyone else involved...

edit to say... too many people are all fur coat and no kickers now days...

champagne tastes.....lemonade pockets.....:cheesy:

i'm mean ffs, i've got enough to put down as a deposit to secure finance for 70k to get a secong hand ferrari 360, but at the moment it would be finacial suicide to do it. To run a car like that you need a spare 100k knocking about for cash flow. Plus 12k for insurance, 1300 quid for a set of tyres that last 3kmiles, 5k for a new clutch that lasts about 4kmiles, 150quid a week in petrol, if the gear box goes (which it will do at some point) then thats 20k :eek: but i can get credit for all of this, so i must be able to afford it, otherwise they wouldn't let me have it :D

Safe to say i'll be sticking with the focus for a wee bit longer....

Somebody's trying to keep it up...

Attachments

• support.JPG
    support.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
A good week. (and I sure needed one)

Somebody's trying to keep it up...

Yeah, even the crappy-by-comparison CBOT Live Book shows that well enough. If I had been at the screens... The most lots I've seen at a price level before was 400. That was pretty amazing! Bargain hunting institutions for sure. The bull market is far from over, and they will be laughing when we hit 14,000 again.

I'm flat, net +24 for today (if anyone is interested), and looking to refine Price / MA crossovers with MACD support and fw's system over the weekend.

Not wanting to blow my own trumpet, but that is 5 profitable days in a row and a drastic improvement in my discipline. How I trade is more important than the pips, but I am sure this will please some folk here!

Good trading into EOW guys. Personally I am happy to stay flat - I have no idea who wants to cover what positions and in what size going into EOD/EOW, and the charts can't really tell me that, so I'm staying out. I am getting better at reading the Live Book, but I recognise my limitations.

The hourlies are about to flash a long signal, but since there are only 2 hours remaining today, I am not going to take it. Also, there seems to be some large offers at 1348X.

not sure if you guys were watching that close but we sold off 170 points in the last hour...not good news...

I felt it, went long Sept 13476 at 20:20, it looked like it was going to break-even.
There's always next week, a bounce is inevitable

not sure if you guys were watching that close but we sold off 170 points in the last hour...not good news...

Why do you say it's not good news?

I mean I really don't mind up or down and fwiw I think this correction is way long over due...

I mean I really don't mind up or down and fwiw I think this correction is way long over due...

I should have added "for the bulls".......:LOL:

I think if we are down big pre-market Monday I may venture a long....looking around 1445 on SPX....:rolleyes:

Agreed. There seemed to be no reason why the Dow kept going up over the last couple of months.

think liquidity.....During the rally $/Yen went from 115 to 125...easy money.....since this sell off started the $/Yen has gone from 124 to 118....all you need to know really..:LOL:

think liquidity.....During the rally $/Yen went from 115 to 125...easy money.....since this sell off started the $/Yen has gone from 124 to 118....all you need to know really..:LOL:

I always wonder about that. I mean the $600 bn dollars spent on the war and all the extra dollars in the oil producing countries coffers has got to be spent somewhere.

Where else can they place or spend their money to justify returns? :rolleyes:

Sooner or later it ends up in the money markets one way or another...

Now that 13000 is breached I'm not sure we going to get that bounce. This is going down for the next 3 to 4 weeks imo. :eek:

I always wonder about that. I mean the $600 bn dollars spent on the war and all the extra dollars in the oil producing countries coffers has got to be spent somewhere.

Where else can they place or spend their money to justify returns? :rolleyes:

Sooner or later it ends up in the money markets one way or another...

Now that 13000 is breached I'm not sure we going to get that bounce. This is going down for the next 3 to 4 weeks imo. :eek:

Hi m8....
That's probably why China,Russia et al have created Sovereign Wealth Funds....they're basically pissed off with taking $$$ only to have to reinvest them in US on a depreciating asset when converted back to their own currency....why invest in US stocks when it's much easier to go out and buy the companies instead....

http://www.economist.co.uk/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9546411

http://www.financialsense.com/Market/allison/2007/0723.html

Oil another case in point....Kuwait,UAE,Iran refuse $$$ and want payment in Euros for their oil....more will follow...

cheers

Didn't Iraq try to sell the oil for Euros instead of dollars sometime in 2000? ...and look what happened to them!

Oh, here we are.

Glad you've all made some pips. I lost quite a few trying to go long yesterday, but I quickly learned my lesson. I made 1 losing trade today which was short from 13350 which I covered at -9 (stop was far too close), and I missed out on the +50 target.

Better trading next week I hope.

Well, congratulations on your bearish sentiment - you were right in the end. I just hope you managed to cover the P&L from your previous shorts back when the market was irrational.

I find myself thinking of my first thread here, and reflecting on how far things have come since.

target 13490... this could take a while

just got back...

surprised at that near-close selloff, indeed steve doesn't signal much good to come Monday morning hmm :confused:

nevertheless, we hit 13493 after I went long so the above target nicely hit
I left my trade open with stop & target in place
so that makes +100 on a single trade today
a very effortless day I might say :)

Not wanting to blow my own trumpet, but that is 5 profitable days in a row and a drastic improvement in my discipline. How I trade is more important than the pips, but I am sure this will please some folk here!

Good trading into EOW guys. Personally I am happy to stay flat - I have no idea who wants to cover what positions and in what size going into EOD/EOW, and the charts can't really tell me that, so I'm staying out. I am getting better at reading the Live Book, but I recognise my limitations.

Congratulations and well done.
However the most difficult part in keeping discipline will be when you have 5 losing days in a row instead of 5 profitable ones...

Good weekend lurker (and everybody else)!