Dow 2007

Steve, I don't really like scalping, not my style really, however, if theres a profit to be made, I'll have a go, when the conditions arise.

me neither...I like to catch a trend....this has been painful to watch this PM

I missed the perfect long opportunity at 13571, busy doing something else, I'll not be trading now, until tomorrow, +38 for the day, more than happy with that

out @ 86......this is hard work...

yeah I know, I have been flat since after the first hour.
But I made my daily target so can't complain. Today, I'm most of all surprised by the DAX fall. I'd be really surprised if we reach that gap you mentioned earlier on. I'd prefer to see some more distribution before really taking us lower.

30 points a day happens to be my ideal target for Dow trading. How long did it take you to achieve this, and with what consistency?

Cheers

LL

Best thing is not to focus on a daily target. It can cause overtrading.
If you got your target, fine. But if you don't and the market doesn't give you an opportunity, you'll have to be prepared to walk away with whatever the market has to offer, even if that's less than what you had hoped for.

yeah I know, I have been flat since after the first hour.
But I made my daily target so can't complain. Today, I'm most of all surprised by the DAX fall. I'd be really surprised if we reach that gap you mentioned earlier on. I'd prefer to see some more distribution before really taking us lower.

I had a sell signal based on y'days Dax close......currently shorter than a short bloke in short shorts with Dax,ES and $/yen......heaven's above,I've lost the plot :LOL:

40 minutes later and my position is +1. Given that the market has fallen by as much as 18 points in this interval, perhaps I should have used a trailing stop.

Best to focus on getting the entries first, then the exits. Try to determine how far on average most of your trades go, than be prepared to take profits there. Whichever method you employ, you'll need to test it and papertrade it. A trailing stop might have been good in this particular case, but is it always the best? When were you going to take profits? If you are away from the screen are unable to follow your trade you should have imo definitely a stop, and preferable a target limit price set.

Small position long at 98,

Edit: Closed out flat and reversed to short at 90

Last edited:
Best to focus on getting the entries first, then the exits. Try to determine how far on average most of your trades go, than be prepared to take profits there. Whichever method you employ, you'll need to test it and papertrade it. A trailing stop might have been good in this particular case, but is it always the best? When were you going to take profits? If you are away from the screen are unable to follow your trade you should have imo definitely a stop, and preferable a target limit price set.

I don't like trailing stops. I don't think they are appropriate in a lot of cases. My plan is to move a stop to breakeven when it has moved far enough, but I think a market signalled exit will always be superior. Furthermore, I was away from the screen and I can't use a trailing stop when spreadbetting, so I don't when papertrading either.

My earlier post stated quite clearly where I would have taken the profits on that trade. My first post on that trade also stated limit sell 90 buy stop 95. So I did have a stop in place. I would never leave a trade paper or otherwise without a stop. I would have checked back on a real trade more frequently than 40 minutes - this was a paper trade, and I had pressing stuff to do.

Perhaps a target limit would have been sensible to place, but I'd never manage a real trade anyways. Be that as it may.....

The limit order so close to a round number - I'll bear that in mind in the future, although the market did trade there in sufficient volumes. I'm counting that trade as a trade, because if I wasn't using a simulator I would have looked at the time and sales and written down my entry as there was volume at that price - why the simulator decided not to fill me I don't know.

What do you think of my overall trading performance today? Do you think my summing up in #2816 was accurate and fair? Aside from the limits at round numbers, do you think there is anything I have missed or should be aware of?

I agree with your comments on target setting. I set myself a daily limit of 30 points on the Dow last month, and lost most of my trading pot chasing it. Also, see my amusing little anecdote about the most expensive £12 ever!

...*hoping* for a really strong rally tomorrow (Wednesday) - and then short this market again:devilish:

Think carefully about shorting a strong rally before signs of weakness are apparent. Remember we are still in a bull market - this may be the only correction for quite a while. Keep an eye on the key 600 and 700 levels. If you predict a strong rally tomorrow, why not consider a long if the charts support your instincts? Then short it on the way down after confirmation of weakness.

Saying that, below 550 I'm a grizzly bear.

Think carefully about shorting a strong rally before signs of weakness are apparent. Remember we are still in a bull market - this may be the only correction for quite a while. Keep an eye on the key 600 and 700 levels. If you predict a strong rally tomorrow, why not consider a long if the charts support your instincts? Then short it on the way down after confirmation of weakness.

Saying that, below 550 I'm a grizzly bear.

...my operative words were 'really strong rally' - then i intend to short:devilish:

I had a sell signal based on y'days Dax close......currently shorter than a short bloke in short shorts with Dax,ES and $/yen......heaven's above,I've lost the plot :LOL:

luvvly jubbly.....Dax hit my target 7790,closed for +180....SPX closed for +110...$/Yen closed for +105......Happy days....now flat... looking for longs maybe now :LOL:

luvvly jubbly.....Dax hit my target 7790,closed for +180....SPX closed for +110...$/Yen closed for +105......Happy days....now flat... looking for longs maybe now :LOL:

fantastic trade, well done steve!
you really nailed it, and letting those profits run...
how did you determine your target?

fantastic trade, well done steve!
you really nailed it, and letting those profits run...
how did you determine your target?

Dax sell signal came in for me Monday nite,after it got over Fridays 8001.63 high,rejected 8010 and then closed below Fridays high on lighter volume.....target was uptrend off March low which tied in nicely with gap I mentioned...

cheers