Dow 2007

Stop moved to +5 at 88. Volume expanding, Tick failing to breach zero. No interesting divergences to speak of at this point. Trading off price and volume, I'm wanting to hold this until at leat 70, where I will consider exiting half.

I got a feeling you may get more than 70....:LOL:

OpenTick feed frozen AGAIN! I'm getting my prices from the CBOT live book on the web.

I thought otFeed was the dogs ********. Does anyone else here use it?

Beginning to panick slightly here. My stop is very close to being hit. Tick is at an hourly high. MACD has just gone bullish (but I'm not terribly bothered with that indicator, or indicators in general these days).

Right - stopped out at +5 on 2 contracts. +$50.00 (paper)

Right. Up +7 for the day. Sell limit in at 90, buy stop in at 95. Worst case scenario, a +3 for the day. Off to get some food now. Back around the close. Good trading all.

Looks like you closed it too early... shame for that!

Been on my mountain bike for a few hours and i come back to this,oh well
hope the bears are having a good day.
I'm happy with around 30 ponts a day so not really bothered.
Good trading all.

Right. Up +7 for the day. Sell limit in at 90, buy stop in at 95. Worst case scenario, a +3 for the day. Off to get some food now. Back around the close. Good trading all.

40 minutes later and my position is +1. Given that the market has fallen by as much as 18 points in this interval, perhaps I should have used a trailing stop.

None of my SB accounts have a trailing stop facility, and I am trying to keep the paper trading realistic.

I reckon I'll be stopped out around 95 pretty soon,

Stopped out for -5. Very angry - I've let an unattended profit of +15 turn into a loss of -5. It was just a paper trade, and I have other things to do. I don't think I would have left a real trade for this period of time anyway. The main thing is the market dropped substantially not long after I shorted at 90 (18:41).

Been on my mountain bike for a few hours and i come back to this,oh well
hope the bears are having a good day.
I'm happy with around 30 ponts a day so not really bothered.
Good trading all.

30 points a day happens to be my ideal target for Dow trading. How long did it take you to achieve this, and with what consistency?

Cheers

LL

Crap. missed it twice.

Well, at least my intention to sell is on the record if nothing else. 12 point drop in a few seconds. That would have been a lovely trade. Stop would be sitting at around +5 now, and I'd go off and do something.

Nice use of the $TICK divergences though, don't you think? (volume did play a part in the decision also)

Come to think of it, I wonder why I was not filled. There seemed to be enough volume changing hands at 600. I've no idea what algorithm that the NinjaTrader simulator uses to calculate fills. I'm tempted to say "Well, the market traded there for quite a few contracts, so my one would have been filled" and add +14 to my papertrades for today...decisions decisions. And I did call it here before the move, so this isn't retroactive order placing.

What do you all think?

Yeah, I'm going to keep the trade, with an imaginary stop at +5. Target at 80. So either +5 or +20 to my current +3. (Still annoyed about failing to take profits while away from the quote screen earlier - but I actually had things to do).

Whether the trades have been entered or exited properly on my simulator, I've posted rather lucid live calls here today (I think - my first trade was premature), which is perhaps encouraging for my new system.

I've been reading plenty of the great Brett Steenbarger, and his use of the NYSE $TICK. I think it's a pretty indispensable tool. Who else is using it?

Edit: I've been "filled" at 80. Lets call that a +20 trade.

30 points a day happens to be my ideal target for Dow trading. How long did it take you to achieve this, and with what consistency?

Cheers

LL

It's just part of my trading plan i try to keep to.
Had the plan a couple of years.
Not always stick to it though.
Consistency depends on which phase of the market we are in.

cjia

Final thoughts on the day.

First trade - out for -3, premature entry. Firewalker was quite correct.

Second trade - okay entry at 90, better entry at 96, cover at 88. +10 (2 contracts). Good entry for the second contract, sloppy exit (bad use of stop loss). Tick had a strong upside breakout, and should have signaled my exit closer to the start of the 1 min bar at 18:37. A more reasonable exit would have been 84 rather than 88, but we live and learn. Furthermore, the stop was too tight in the sense that the market had failed to make a higher high at the stoploss level of 88. This is a reminder of my journal post last night: place stops where the market tells you you are wrong, not to reduce anxiety about drawdowns. There was no sensible reason to stick a stop in at +5. Perhaps breakeven maybe. 88 was not a significant number.

Third trade - a short entry 2 points higher than when I covered my last short. A good entry. Exit - by stoploss after abandoning the market for 40 odd minutes. Real things to do. Loss of -5. This trade did become profitable almost immediately. My exit probably would have been at 18:51. A 1 minute bar had just closed on volume, with Tick breaking zero to the upside. The ideal exit there would have been +6.

Fourth trade. Covered in the post above. I'm pretending I got filled. It was a good trade, called here in advance, and was exited for +20. Good use of S/R, PV, and the Tick.

So - 2 wins, 2 losses. (with the second loss being an abandoned trade which called direction correctly)
Winning trades: +30
Losing trades: -8

Sharpe ratio: 15:4 = 3.75
Win / Loss: 2:2 = 1

Any comments? (and am I being cheeky with the double top / tick divergence short?)

Looks like I missed a good session since I left, 38 points in the bag from my afternoon session, (daily target of 20 points well and truely hit).

Going to try and bag a few more into the close, will post as it happens, hope you have all done OK

Looks like it may have to be a scalping exercise for a few points,out at the minute

Steve, I don't really like scalping, not my style really, however, if theres a profit to be made, I'll have a go, when the conditions arise.