Currency 2007: Jan-01 > Jan-05

trendie said:
yes, there appears to be 2 threads. ( 3 if you count Wolfe Wave )
if the opinion on here is to discontinue this one at the end of the week in favour of the other, I wont start a new one next week.

but, by the same logic, this thread covers general info, heads-up on eco-news, and related topics.
( actually, I think the Wolfe Wave trades would also be better merged into a bigger thread, so we can get a comparative with other styles, (BigBen, VEBO, etc) in a single location.)

if I get at least 10 votes in favour of continuing, I shall start a new thread next week.
My vote is to continue the weekly thread.

ChowClown - My vote is to continue the weekly thread.

I agree.

even though I've not added much so far, I am checking the thread out.

A specific weekly thread is much more specific and focused than a monthly thread. It can be replaced each week, and the specificness of the threads title is likely to help ensure that members do not stray far off topic............

Cheers
JT.

ps. I hope everyone was aware of the relatively new ADP employment change report at 1315 GMT.

hornblower said:
lets just keep it separate
the best thread will survive

Agreed - this one has a history and a nice feel to it. I feel I've got to know the participants and after all we keep coming back week after week so there's got to be something in it!

ChowClown said:
Morning and HNY to all,

I'm currently short vebo 9690 and at b/e. Had a re-think on trade management, the drawdown during Dec (which may well persist for a while) made me realise that my stoplosses were at odds with my psych.

I 'need' a higher win rate, so to help achieve this i'm now using wider stops (volatility based, using the same £risk per trade) to give trades more room to breathe. I'm also forward testing the use of a trend filter and no longer re-arm orders once stopped out.

Interesting stuff Chow. I've done extensive back testing on my VEBO Variant and I definitely agree on the wider stops. I also back tested the trend filter and found that actually it wasn't as good as trading both directions but my method is somewhat different from yours so maybe the trend filter will assist in your case.

FYI I'm short from 9703 and holding.

a_gnome said:
I also back tested the trend filter and found that actually it wasn't as good as trading both directions but my method is somewhat different from yours so maybe the trend filter will assist in your case.
Thanks a_g, must admit i've had difficulty in identifying a suitable trend filter and still not convinced it's the way to go, even with conventional wisdom ringing in my ears. Nice entry for you today!

what are you expecting to see from the dow?

cheers.

Im not bothering with the Dow today will start trading it tomorrow

Agree with keeping weekly FX thread

Nice sentiment jonny40.......:LOL:

but thats precisely the type of virtual distraction that is likely to lead to trading failure :rolleyes:

i have to confess that today i feel like a perfect idiot.

to take a short, call it in public, close it for a meagre profit because the eye is off the ball, and then see it tank 240 pips from my entry. the "missed profit" emotion is enough to keep me out because the analytical side is turned off. terrible terrible day for me.

i proudly went short at the top, and closed for +20. just to make my embarrassment worse, i am now writing it :eek: . that way, i am not the only one who thinks i am an absolute idiot :eek: .

good the rest of you had a piece of the move.
j

See the 2 period Momentum did not confirm this new High ....and today's action seems logical to me... :cheesy:

Attachments

• eur.gif
    eur.gif
    7 KB · Views: 162
jacinto said:

to take a short, call it in public, close it for a meagre profit because the eye is off the ball, and then see it tank 240 pips from my entry. the "missed profit" emotion is enough to keep me out because the analytical side is turned off. terrible terrible day for me.

i proudly went short at the top, and closed for +20. just to make my embarrassment worse, i am now writing it :eek: . that way, i am not the only one who thinks i am an absolute idiot :eek: .

j

At least you are being honest with yourself which IMHO is a key part to being a successful trader. When I'm in such situations I remind myself that I don't need to catch every move, all I need to do is to make sure that the trades that I do take are on average profitable.

FWIW you shouldn't worry about the ego aspect of getting out too early - it's just the cash P&L of the trades that you do take which is important.

jacinto said:

j
Respect to you for getting it off your chest in public. During Dec i'd have bitten your hand off for 20 on the day :) There's always next time....as you well know.

jacinto said:

j

never mind , you cannot win them all
dont beat your self up over it
tomorrow is an other day

hornblower said:
never mind , you cannot win them all
dont beat your self up over it
tomorrow is an other day

a-gnome, chow, and hornblower,

thank you for your words. sorry for the free psychiatry session.

think tomorrow i will come back with black eyes after the wife looks at the chart :LOL:

thanks again. nothing that a beer wont help forget.

j

If its any consolation, i'll see your story and raise you some more pain! lol. What started as a great day for me has turned into a beating. I have never done well on a day where the market goes crazy in one direction. never mind. Im gonna go drink some brake fluid.

Oh...and before you get worried about me, im not addicted to it (the brake fluid) or anything. I mean...i can STOP any time i want! eh?........get it? stop when i want? brake fluid?!

candles said:
If its any consolation, i'll see your story and raise you some more pain! lol. What started as a great day for me has turned into a beating. I have never done well on a day where the market goes crazy in one direction. never mind. Im gonna go drink some brake fluid.

thanks for the consolation. sorry it went bad for you.
now i am more concerned of the black eyes cause i wont be able to see a chart tomorrow :LOL:

j

candles said:
Oh...and before you get worried about me, im not addicted to it (the brake fluid) or anything. I mean...i can STOP any time i want! eh?........get it? stop when i want? brake fluid?!
...you bin sniffin too many candles again...havntcha :cheesy: