Brexit and the Consequences

I've a dread feeling that our relationship with the EU isn't a journey, its a circle. We are drawn in by the economic advantages, we are repulsed by the political implications, but eventually the economic advantages become stronger and we are drawn in again, but eventually......

The EU isn't an abyss, but we are sleepwalking.

Your analysis seems to be materialising with Holyrood throwing a spanner into the works.

All we now need is the Welsh to join the party. :whistling

I find it comical that for the very reason put forward about the politics and sovereignty of Parliament, that the English would then work towards denying regional assemblies their rights, wanting to continue being part of Europe. Go figure.

Vision for greatness is turning pear shape indeed.

Somebody should tell the Irish, Scots and the Welsh that the Commonwealth are in the queue and they shouldn't risk their elevated positions in the UK.

On another note, I feel the only way to avoid reputational damage and dignity of UK going back to EU is to hold either a new referendum on the deal or national elections to sort this mess out.

Otherwise, rather than suffer humiliation at the hands of the EU, I prefer hard Brexit.

This custom union half in half out with special deals is flogging a dead horse. What's the point of grumbling about rules and regulations to subsequently continue adhering to them without having any say on how they are arrived at?

What were all those arguments about? Brexiteers need to have it their way and deliver the bacon. Otherwise in due course if benefits don't materialise UK will have go back to EU with cap in hand and tail between legs. At least we'll then have some piece from the Eurosceptics.

If that doesn't happen this moaning and bitching will continue tearing country apart.

:(

Notice the absence of any support from remainders for ‘European’ culture, politics or society, they have never publicised an argument for that, I wonder why [emoji57] no, all they concentrate on is project fear for business. It’s almost as if they know they would lose the cultural/political argument.

And yet it’s the main reason for a Brexit vote.

Notice the absence of any support from remainders for ‘European’ culture, politics or society, they have never publicised an argument for that, I wonder why [emoji57] no, all they concentrate on is project fear for business. It’s almost as if they know they would lose the cultural/political argument.

And yet it’s the main reason for a Brexit vote.

SC matey I wrote essays on it.

You need to get out more :)

Sorry Att, I didn’t realise, have you got a link?

What do you think you going to learn from a link without the experience of travel.

UK history linked with Europe.

UK national language was French for couple of hundred years as well.

Monarchy is half German.

DNA is probably diluted by Vikings mixing with Anglo-Saxons.

Britannia ruling the waves probably linked to Viking boat skills.

Not to mention first Brits on UK walked over from the Rhine region when ice age was still kicking around.

Did you go to school in the UK?

Was it a grammar school? :cheesy:

What do you think you going to learn from a link without the experience of travel.

UK history linked with Europe.

UK national language was French for couple of hundred years as well.

Monarchy is half German.

DNA is probably diluted by Vikings mixing with Anglo-Saxons.

Britannia ruling the waves probably linked to Viking boat skills.

Not to mention first Brits on UK walked over from the Rhine region when ice age was still kicking around.

Did you go to school in the UK?

Was it a grammar school? :cheesy:

Don't forget the ice-age, we had a land bridge with Europe. At least nature helped us on our Brexit way :LOL::smart:

You always seem to froth in the mouth upon a bit of bad news from the EU member states CV but how does any of this help the predicament UK finds her self in?

:whistling

Relative predicament.

Compared to the EU, we are way ahead of the curve. Just need a PM with some bollox now and quit all this messing about.

Relative predicament.

Compared to the EU, we are way ahead of the curve. Just need a PM with some bollox now and quit all this messing about.

Relative predicament is not a benefit. :idea:

On the decision point I agree. Moving to a position where we need to simply hand over control to the hard liners and let's see what they do or cope with fall out.

Too many cooks in the kitchen. Give someone enough rope and they may just hang them selves is my sentiment. Really need to sort the Eurosceptics out. They either deliver or get crucified.

Seems fair to me. (y)

Relative predicament is not a benefit. :idea:

On the decision point I agree. Moving to a position where we need to simply hand over control to the hard liners and let's see what they do or cope with fall out.

Too many cooks in the kitchen. Give someone enough rope and they may just hang them selves is my sentiment. Really need to sort the Eurosceptics out. They either deliver or get crucified.

Seems fair to me. (y)

It looks like we are all mostly in agreement (y)

Whilst relative predicament is certainly not a benefit, the fact that we are leaving is, each QT TMay re-asserts herself and tells us that we are leaving, I have an ounce more faith that we will do it, as you quite rightly point out the Eurosceptics just need to deliver. Tories are our only hope for now, beyond once we have left will be another matter.

It looks like we are all mostly in agreement (y)

Whilst relative predicament is certainly not a benefit, the fact that we are leaving is, each QT TMay re-asserts herself and tells us that we are leaving, I have an ounce more faith that we will do it, as you quite rightly point out the Eurosceptics just need to deliver. Tories are our only hope for now, beyond once we have left will be another matter.

But she's been saying that for so long it's now starting to sound like a broken record! Indeed the Eurosceptics do need to deliver, but with a Remainer in charge they do not have the opportunity. So we have (1) a PM that can't/won't/doesn't know how to deliver (2) Eurosceptics reluctant to force a leadership contest which could result in a general election or another leader further removed from their views (3) an Opposition that doesn't know whether it's on its ar$e or its elbow but in comparison to the shambolic government looks ok to an awful lot of people.

Unless somebody, somewhere, acts with decisiveness and vision we're going to end up with a nominal Brexit that captures little benefit and retains many disadvantages. Utter shambles (n)

Against our own historical metrics, the UK's doing OK. It is hard though to pinpoint exactly what our leaders have done post-2008 that is responsible for this.

But it seems that every time government gets really interested and energetic in a particular field, things go very wrong very fast. It seems we have a great country mostly filled with people who work hard and want to succeed.

Plus about a thousand chancers with MP after their names.

Against our own historical metrics, the UK's doing OK. It is hard though to pinpoint exactly what our leaders have done post-2008 that is responsible for this.

But it seems that every time government gets really interested and energetic in a particular field, things go very wrong very fast. It seems we have a great country mostly filled with people who work hard and want to succeed.

Agreed.......where else can they get paid a lot of Money and huge expense accounts and make massive decisions with minimal repercussions if they screw up ?

Christ they would be slaughtered in the real commercial world ......apart from a few appearances , the odd memoir and then being used to bribe old mates still in government for corporate favours :smart:

Hahahaha
N

Brexit was also about removing layer upon layer of parasites, starting with the EU government and ending up gawd knows where. House of lords is also making itself a very easy target at the moment.

This shower milked the system dry :mad:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ocks-lord-Britain--picking-12m-pay-perks.html

It will of course take a very long time for the UK to attract the right caliber of politician back to the commons, but we have to start somewhere and Brexit was the signal.

Drain the swamp ! Ring any bells.

Brexit was also about removing layer upon layer of parasites, starting with the EU government and ending up gawd knows where. House of lords is also making itself a very easy target at the moment.

This shower milked the system dry :mad:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ocks-lord-Britain--picking-12m-pay-perks.html

It will of course take a very long time for the UK to attract the right caliber of politician back to the commons, but we have to start somewhere and Brexit was the signal.

Drain the swamp ! Ring any bells.

That's one of the biggest problems isn't it? They're all now mostly career politicians who studied PPE, went into politics subsequently as someone's bag carrier to get started on the greasy pole and therefore never had a proper job in their life.

The days of politicians who don't do it for the money because they don't need the money are mostly gone except for the likes of JRM, who is not only incredibly rich but has had a proper job and can pursue what he believes in, rather than what will keep him on the gravy train.

The House of Lords is digging its own hole – it's just that Brexit has offered them some bigger shovels!

This is sign of the times folks take note.

Not only that Tory party rolling back Thatcher's legacy.

Sign is on the wall. Repent all you wrong doers!

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling said it would smooth the transition to a new operator, but critics said it was evidence of private sector failure.

Are you trying to rewrite history again? :LOL:

The railways were decimated under Labour.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/mar/02/beeching-wrong-about-britains-railways

Only the victorious are allowed the privilege of rewriting history. So first of all, you need to get on the right side of all the debates: thumbsup:

Thatcher, glorious leader of the UK. It is written in history. (y)

This is sign of the times folks take note.

Not only that Tory party rolling back Thatcher's legacy.

Sign is on the wall. Repent all you wrong doers!

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling said it would smooth the transition to a new operator, but critics said it was evidence of private sector failure.

The railways were never properly privatised. It was a rush job by John Major who, I think, was probably Thatcher's well-chosen revenge on the party that dumped her.

And as for railway profitability, they ceased to be moneymaking ventures from the late 19th century no matter how they were run.