Brexit and the Consequences

Think it’s time you came back home Split...strong and stable government and the weather is improving by the day..:LOL:

You have to be joking. I'll take Spain--warts and all! As far as I know,the Spanish government has not destroyed my entry documents.

This people's vote thing is a right waste of time. But maybe that's the point. Tie up the Brexit process for so long that either the Conservatives are voted out in a General Election or May is replaced by a new leader with a Remain platform, before the Brexit deal is finalised.

So its really a cynical game to neutralise people's votes, not grant them more democratic power.

This people's vote thing is a right waste of time. But maybe that's the point. Tie up the Brexit process for so long that either the Conservatives are voted out in a General Election or May is replaced by a new leader with a Remain platform, before the Brexit deal is finalised.

So its really a cynical game to neutralise people's votes, not grant them more democratic power.

I don't think that the people, en masse,know what they do want, except to be decently governed. That's not happening in the UK, nor in Spain. What you say, though, applies equally here but with different motives. PP has such a corruption mess on its hands that it doesn't even want to win the next election , I'm sure.

Anyway, this Master's degree crisis has brought on a vote of confidence. Let's see what happens. It might bring the next elections forward a couple of years.

David Cameron Says He Doesn't Regret Holding Brexit Vote

Former U.K. Prime Minster David Cameron says he doesn’t regret holding the Brexit vote in 2016, but still wishes the country had voted to remain in the European Union.

In his first major interview since resigning as prime minister after the June 2016 referendum, Cameron said he still thinks he made the right decision to ask the British public if they wanted to stay in the bloc.

“I don’t think you can belong to these organisations and see their powers grow, treaty after treaty, power after power going from Westminster to Brussels, never asking the people if they are happy being governed in that way -- but I haven’t changed my mind about the result of the referendum, I wish the vote had gone another way,” he said in the interview with CNN, which aired Wednesday.

The former prime minister, who has been largely silent since leaving government and resigning as a lawmaker in 2016, is in Washington this week to launch a report about how to help fragile countries become more stable. In the interview, he backed the decision by his successor, Theresa May, to hold military air strikes on Syria without consulting Parliament.

In 2013, he was defeated by Parliament in his effort to do the same and said he “deeply regrets” it. “I think I know why, a lot of people were so unhappy about what had happened in Iraq, and they were so bruised by that,” he said.

(y)

In 2013, he was defeated by Parliament in his effort to do the same and said he “deeply regrets” it. “I think I know why, a lot of people were so unhappy about what had happened in Iraq, and they were so bruised by that,” he said.

Just another silly ass who used to be in charge of our affairs and completely divorced from the country's opinions.
We need some better quality politicians with sensible ideas.
Of course Mrs Poodle needed parliamentary approval. not just Trump's approval.

This while issue is Opposition posturing.

The PM does not legally need pre-approval by Parliament for military action.

But they risk a vote of no confidence in the Commons if they initiate some action and Parliament doesn't like it. A carried vote of no confidence can trigger either a resignation, withdrawal from action or a general election, whereas seeking Parliamentary pre-approval does not if it fails. So there's an argument that taking the action with the risk of Parliamentary back-lash afterwards is a more democratic route.

It was said during the recent debate in the Commons that Parliamentary pre-approval for military action has only been sought 4 times in history, whereas the UK military has been engaged in hundreds of actions in that time.

By the way, seems like Theresa May is still PM and she has not been told by Parliament to seek pre-approval next time.

This while issue is Opposition posturing.

The PM does not legally need pre-approval by Parliament for military action.

But they risk a vote of no confidence in the Commons if they initiate some action and Parliament doesn't like it. A carried vote of no confidence can trigger either a resignation, withdrawal from action or a general election, whereas seeking Parliamentary pre-approval does not if it fails. So there's an argument that taking the action with the risk of Parliamentary back-lash afterwards is a more democratic route.

It was said during the recent debate in the Commons that Parliamentary pre-approval for military action has only been sought 4 times in history, whereas the UK military has been engaged in hundreds of actions in that time.

By the way, seems like Theresa May is still PM and she has not been told by Parliament to seek pre-approval next time.

Really how can Parliament hold it's head high if the PM can plunge this country into war ithout their approval.
Past wars are a mere hiccup in history compared to what WW3 will be.

Really how can Parliament hold it's head high if the PM can plunge this country into war ithout their approval.

The PM's stance has been the constitutional and legal position for many years. It was only Blair, with his "dodgy dossier" that conned Parliament & muddied the waters. Later, Cameron with his unfailing ability to align his thoughts with the prevailing political flavour of the week, went for a parliamentary vote that subsequently allowed Assad to act with impunity. What kind of leadership was that?

I don't have a lot of time for Theresa May but it was good, for a change, to see some real leadership – we've not really had much since the demise of Thatcher.

There's a lot of hype and hysteria about WW3 - but it's all good for media consumption isn't it? Just note that US & Russia were v careful to ensure that Assad got his slap on the wrist last week without it developing into anything more serious. Nothing much in Syria has changed.

Well, at least WW3 will be over in a flash. Not that many will know it’s over, of course.

I don't believe that a PM can do his job unless he is willing to stick his neck out on a matter of national interest. That means going to war, among other things.. If he had to wait for Parliament for that, we would have been an occupied country centuries ago.

If WW3 has to wait for Parliament, then Heaven help us.

That he may have to face a vote of No Confidence, afterwards, goes with the job, although after WW3, he may not be around to enjoy such democratic niceties.

Parliament has the opportunity to vote her out of office. They had this Monday, they had it yesterday and they will have it tomorrow. But for all the noise about the primacy of Parliament, the Commons backed her in two separate votes. Turns out Parliament is happy enough with who's PM and what she did.

Are you really happy that the future of the world depends on just a handful of people. Maybe they have a bad night or the mistress kicks them outa bed or whatever.
The whole planet's future rests with Trump ( unstable ), Putin ( obsessed with looking macho ), etc.

They are all heading for dictatorship imho and that's de-stabilizing.

The people around the globe should decide, NOT prima donnas.

Responsibility for the future of the world is devolved (to MP's, Senators, Presidents and PM's). It is so everywhere and has never been otherwise.

Unless you're thinking a referendum on important geo-political decisions would be more appropriate? I seem to recall the last one we had was not universally praised as a good idea, nor a good outcome. What was your opinion on the Brexit referendum again Pat?

Are you really happy that the future of the world depends on just a handful of people. Maybe they have a bad night or the mistress kicks them outa bed or whatever.
The whole planet's future rests with Trump ( unstable ), Putin ( obsessed with looking macho ), etc.

They are all heading for dictatorship imho and that's de-stabilizing.

The people around the globe should decide, NOT prima donnas.

Umm, without wishing to appear overly churlish, what we are seeing is precisely the result of the people deciding. The popular vote gave Trump the presidency and in Russia Putin is relentlessly popular (ho ho) with his own ignorant hordes.

Democracy is sort of OK when it's working really well but really crap when faced with anything but binary issues and arguably even more so in precisely that case. So, all in all: crap all the time but at least we can pour ourselves another drink and console ourselves with the thought that we're not living under other systems...yet.

History will let us know whether the exceptionally knowledgeable and far-sighted people of Britain have got it right with Brexit.:)

Responsibility for the future of the world is devolved (to MP's, Senators, Presidents and PM's). It is so everywhere and has never been otherwise.

Unless you're thinking a referendum on important geo-political decisions would be more appropriate? I seem to recall the last one we had was not universally praised as a good idea, nor a good outcome. What was your opinion on the Brexit referendum again Pat?

I carefully as possible considered both sides of the argument at the time and came to the overall result that I really didn't know which was better for me or the country, so I abstained.
A pity a lot of others didn't do the same it seems.
But maybe it is six of one and half a dozen of the other.
I don't remember voting ( against ) in the 1970s for all the EU political crap. It was sold to us by that Heath person as a good business decision. I can't say I have ever benefited from it but of course many have, some illegally.
The more the sprouts in Brussels tighten the screws the more it is looking like............

STALAG Europe

The German right wing must be doing victory rolls as Merkel , now wobbling and will soon fall.

I carefully as possible considered both sides of the argument at the time and came to the overall result that I really didn't know which was better for me or the country, so I abstained.
A pity a lot of others didn't do the same it seems.
But maybe it is six of one and half a dozen of the other.
I don't remember voting ( against ) in the 1970s for all the EU political crap. It was sold to us by that Heath person as a good business decision. I can't say I have ever benefited from it but of course many have, some illegally.
The more the sprouts in Brussels tighten the screws the more it is looking like............

STALAG Europe

The German right wing must be doing victory rolls as Merkel , now wobbling and will soon fall.

Well, we're not so far apart on the referendum. I knew I didn't want to be in a future united states of Europe but I also knew EU membership has helped the UK economy. Its was also apparent that the decision was not vital to the country's general welfare, or else there would never have been a referendum on this issue.

So I voted Remain, thinking that if EU membership turns out much worse than we thought, we can still exit later, but once we were out, we're out for good. So I wasn't exactly what you'd call committed.

However, I do expect that governments will take tough decisions on vital matters, including overseas military deployments and actions, and that they will then face the consequences when they have to answer to our MP's. And they have. And the MP's are happy. So that's the end of all that.

Don’t jump the gun so fast, the inspectors are getting shot at, by whom? Nobody has proved anything yet!

The issues of whether the PM had authority to order air strikes and of whether it was the right decision to do so given the then known information are over.

The issues of whether the PM had authority to order air strikes and of whether it was the right decision to do so given the then known information are over.

Unless the whole things turns out to be a ruse! Just as it did with the Iraq war, I feel there could be some questions still to answer, time will tell.