Brexit and the Consequences

I think it's time we had a Jacob Rees Mogg thread. What say you?

Here he is filling in for that lefty snowflake O'Brian on LBC :LOL:

The second caller is brilliant :LOL:

I'm afraid his economic argument all rests on one premise. Trading with other countries levying zero tariffs on food and clothing and thus reducing prices to consumers who'll then have greater disposable income.

Here are some basic reasons why his talking mega total rubbish.

1. You've all seen the Brexit effect on the pound. A 20% collapse in the pound exceeds any reduction in tariffs.

This is a fact you've all observed. Prices were rising and interest rate pressure grew thus .25 basis point increase.

How he bangs on about this as if it is a Brexit benefit is nonsense.

2. Importing goods from elsewhere outside of the EU has issues too; primarily reduced standards, higher transportation costs and other producers will raise prices to be slightly below EU.

3. If reducing tariffs is all about consumer getting cheaper goods and thus benefiting consumer is the big deal, well then, even if EU levies tariffs against us then it is surely in our benefit to take off all tariffs on imports to reduce prices and thus raise disposable income.

On so many levels his argument doesn't add up. It's far too simple assuming everything else remains the same whilst EU goods substituted with cheaper produce from elsewhere.

If this is the best of Britain from the party of business then Tories are well and truly skewered. :LOL:

(n)(n)(n)

I'm afraid his economic argument all rests on one premise. Trading with other countries levying zero tariffs on food and clothing and thus reducing prices to consumers who'll then have greater disposable income.

Here are some basic reasons why his talking mega total rubbish.

1. You've all seen the Brexit effect on the pound. A 20% collapse in the pound exceeds any reduction in tariffs.

This is a fact you've all observed. Prices were rising and interest rate pressure grew thus .25 basis point increase.

How he bangs on about this as if it is a Brexit benefit is nonsense.

2. Importing goods from elsewhere outside of the EU has issues too; primarily reduced standards, higher transportation costs and other producers will raise prices to be slightly below EU.

3. If reducing tariffs is all about consumer getting cheaper goods and thus benefiting consumer is the big deal, well then, even if EU levies tariffs against us then it is surely in our benefit to take off all tariffs on imports to reduce prices and thus raise disposable income.

On so many levels his argument doesn't add up. It's far too simple assuming everything else remains the same whilst EU goods substituted with cheaper produce from elsewhere.

If this is the best of Britain from the party of business then Tories are well and truly skewered. :LOL:

(n)(n)(n)

I like his version of economics and when we end up with a no deal, we can save the 38Bn that the appeaser has promised the EU, for what exactly! I have no idea.

EU is in deep financial sh1t and without UK's money to prop them up, will fall apart very quickly indeed.

On the subject of goods from wherever, bring it on I say. If the UK says it's open for business, then they will be queuing up to sell to us. We might actually start getting some value for money for a change.

The other thing that needs curtailing is foreign aid. 13Bn, I'm sure some of that cash would be better spent on the NHS for example.

The pound last week was on a par with the level it was at on the ref vote. So yet another debunked argument. :LOL:

Seems pretty obvious to me and a few others that the Moggfather will be our next PM. Excellent communicator, excellent policies and his profile is shooting through the roof. Remember, Trump came from nowhere, he battled his own Republican party, he won over the voting public and he smashed the lilly livered Democrats out of the park. Moggy will do the same with the Tory party.

Last edited:
I like his version of economics and when we end up with a no deal, we can save the 38Bn that the appeaser has promised the EU, for what exactly! I have no idea.

How can you like his version of economics I fail to understand? If I say to you prices are going to fall, wages are going to rise and homes will become affordable and you say you like my version of economics. Other people say otherwise and you say they are experts they are always wrong and they don't tell me what I want to hear.

Re: 38bn that's in exchange for services rendered by EU. How can it be a saving? If you don't pay you don't continue to get the same benefits that's made UK 5th in the GDP league? You comprehension of economics leaves much to be desired.

EU is in deep financial sh1t and without UK's money to prop them up, will fall apart very quickly indeed.

No different to US or UK. You should look at your own finances not your neighbours.

On the subject of goods from wherever, bring it on I say. If the UK says it's open for business, then they will be queuing up to sell to us. We might actually start getting some value for money for a change.Of course. Everyday people and business queuing up to sell services. How you going to get value for money I don't understand? Brexiters haven't demonstrated any plans cost or benefits. No impact study when we know full well they have but the maths all negative. Words are cheap. Demonstrate what benefits you talkign about. A commission to look at how trade can be increased with India... Right on. Jolly good. Get on with it then...

The other thing that needs curtailing is foreign aid. 13Bn, I'm sure some of that cash would be better spent on the NHS for example. There is no free money. That's just a cack handed way of subsidising industry much like the Empire days. You loan or give money wiht the condition it is spent on goods and servcies produced at home. It's how the UK and US stir pooh around the world to create business for their weapons industry. You really don't know or understand how governments work if may say so.

The pound last week was on a par with the level it was at on the ref vote. So yet another debunked argument. :LOL: Pound rose as a consequence of Government making favourable noises about a softer Brexit after xmas. If you don't see this then you are not keeping up with the news.

Seems pretty obvious to me and a few others that the Moggfather will be our next PM. Excellent communicator, excellent policies and his profile is shooting through the roof. Remember, Trump came from nowhere, he battled his own Republican party, he won over the voting public and he smashed the lilly livered Democrats out of the park. Moggy will do the same with the Tory party.

Leadsom was pretty obvious to you too. Trump hasn't achieved anything yet other than giving away trillions of tax cuts when the economy was recovering anyhow. Now you are seeing the consequences of an over heating economy.

Bring on inflation and rate rises. What a hero??? Destroying the dollar standard. FOOLS know not what they DO? End of the Free World indeed. In fact death of the dollar will be dawn of a FREE NEW WORLD! Perhaps we should be grateful for Trump's actions for all the wrong reasons. (y)

Leadsom was pretty obvious to you too. Trump hasn't achieved anything yet other than giving away trillions of tax cuts when the economy was recovering anyhow. Now you are seeing the consequences of an over heating economy.

Bring on inflation and rate rises. What a hero??? Destroying the dollar standard. FOOLS know not what they DO? End of the Free World indeed. In fact death of the dollar will be dawn of a FREE NEW WORLD! Perhaps we should be grateful for Trump's actions for all the wrong reasons. (y)

Leadsom was knobbled by her own party machine. Had the contest run it's full course, then she would indeed have been the next PM. Grass roots would have voted her into office.

Now here's a chap who knows a thing or two about leadership and winners. I swear all these people are reading our thread! :LOL:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/9...PM-Theresa-May-leader-European-Union-EU-video

Let's all give a big hand to Stephen Huyton. My kinda guy demanding his rights. Why should he give them up for a bunch of mad hooligans.

Brexit: Britons' citizenship case to be taken to European court

That Moggie fella is a real nasty piece of work. 6 children and never changed dipers once. What kind of a father figure do you think that makes him?

Apparently, read somewhere he thinks even if a daughter is raped and falls pregnant to her father she should have the baby. My stomach churns at these religious nuts who seem to pass some kind of superior judgement over other peoples rights and freedoms. :mad::devilish::mad: Makes me so very annoyed.

I feel Mr Huyton is more of a better well adjusted super English gentlemen than this Moggie waste of space.

Admirable fella Mr Huyton. He gets my vote.

He and his family maintain that they hold independent rights as EU citizens, above those of any specific member state.

However, many Brexit supporters argue that the ECJ should not have power to overrule British court decisions.

More than a million British nationals live in EU countries and about 42,500 live in the Netherlands.

"You cannot play with the lives of 1.2 million people as if they are pieces on a chess board," said Mr Huyton, who was not eligible to vote in the UK's EU referendum in 2016 as he had been living outside the UK for more than 15 years.

"Mr Huyton, a director of a US firm who has lived in The Netherlands for the past 24 years.. "

ha! so this foreign joker wants to be an EU citizen - who cares!
Brexit is about Britain and British people.

"Mr Huyton, a director of a US firm who has lived in The Netherlands for the past 24 years.. "

ha! so this foreign joker wants to be an EU citizen - who cares!
Brexit is about Britain and British people.

More than a million British nationals live in EU countries and about 42,500 live in the Netherlands.

"You cannot play with the lives of 1.2 million people as if they are pieces on a chess board," said Mr Huyton, who was not eligible to vote in the UK's EU referendum in 2016 as he had been living outside the UK for more than 15 years.

yeah its good that foreigners were not eligible to vote :)
dont get me wrong i am all for togetherness and one world but believe we can move forward from here without being in EU

yeah its good that foreigners were not eligible to vote :)
dont get me wrong i am all for togetherness and one world but believe we can move forward from here without being in EU

Nice words.

Care to elaborate on what is moving forward for you?

So what happens to lives of 1.2m Brits in EU coupled with 48% of other Brits in the UK?

Considering it was a narrow margin, do you disassociate your self from any Englishman who chooses to live anywhere else outside of the UK?

Do you stop being English when you leave the Isles?

All those patriots and nationalists all too ready to give up on ones brethren. What's all that British identity all about then? British identity is now reduced to living in the UK. Well by that reasoning all migrants are also British wouldn't you say?

So why did Lord Nigel Lawson who lives in France have such a big part in Brexit and sovereignty nonsense how it was the most important aspect of Brexit. This is the guy wanted UK to join the Euro against civil service advice and Gordon Brown who was cautious and chose to keep the pound.

Lot of bluster with not much substance. Who's sovereignty is Lord Nigel blabbering on about then? Stupid old fool, lost his mind in his prune ages. Obviously not the 1.2 Brits including him self who lives abroad.

Is he confused or senile? :rolleyes:

Why don't you two take your Breibart's to the other dumpy thread.

Is this retaliation for mentioning Jeremy Corbyn on Dumpy's thread or wot? :cheesy:

:eek:fftopic::eek:fftopic:

TBH I’m a little confused about CVs post also, maybe he’s suffering from fudge fingers?

I thought the Soros link to anti-Brexit is pertinent, as it’s one of the latest hot topics in the news. It’s also making me think twice about Gina Millers ‘democratic’ intentions.

TBH I’m a little confused about CVs post also, maybe he’s suffering from fudge fingers?

I thought the Soros link to anti-Brexit is pertinent, as it’s one of the latest hot topics in the news. It’s also making me think twice about Gina Millers ‘democratic’ intentions.

No fudge fingers :)

In the past on this, or maybe another thread, I spoke about people being "tribal by their nature" and so it seemed that Jackie Mason's rant fitted in and highlighted the current hightened state of tribalism and on so many levels that it's becoming quite ridiculous. So as one tribe ramps up the rhetoric, then another tribe does the same!

This is how intolerance escalates and there is no bigger disagreement than Brexit.
The same over in the US with Trump v Democrats and many other places are splintering.

No fudge fingers :)

In the past on this, or maybe another thread, I spoke about people being "tribal by their nature" and so it seemed that Jackie Mason's rant fitted in and highlighted the current hightened state of tribalism and on so many levels that it's becoming quite ridiculous. So as one tribe ramps up the rhetoric, then another tribe does the same!

This is how intolerance escalates and there is no bigger disagreement than Brexit.
The same over in the US with Trump v Democrats and many other places are splintering.

That is just your twist on a major problem with broken capitalism and past policies which have rewarded the well off, skewed distribution and messed up social fabric of society.

Nothing to do with tribalism. People with small brains look inward for protection blaming anything that is different to them or outside of their experience.

People with grand visions who are fearless and embrace change and the globe will always outshine self centric small minded peeps who are fearful of what they can't control outside of their monotonous existence.

Different perspectives to a common problem. (y)

That is just your twist on a major problem with broken capitalism and past policies which have rewarded the well off, skewed distribution and messed up social fabric of society.

Nothing to do with tribalism. People with small brains look inward for protection blaming anything that is different to them or outside of their experience.

People with grand visions who are fearless and embrace change and the globe will always outshine self centric small minded peeps who are fearful of what they can't control outside of their monotonous existence.

Different perspectives to a common problem. (y)

Not my twist, just an observation of whats going on all over the world.

So I put it to you, that the idea of one world one people is just a total nonsense, given that we already know that people are tribal by nature.

Not my twist, just an observation of whats going on all over the world.

So I put it to you, that the idea of one world one people is just a total nonsense, given that we already know that people are tribal by nature.

It’ll be the earth tribe when we run up against beings from other planets :LOL:

In the meantime people can quite happily subscribe to different tribes with equal vehemence - eg: loyalty to the school tribe when being up against other schools, and the house tribe when being up against other houses in the school.

It’ll be the earth tribe when we run up against beings from other planets :LOL:

Yep, good point well made (y)

In the meantime people can quite happily subscribe to different tribes with equal vehemence - eg: loyalty to the school tribe when being up against other schools, and the house tribe when being up against other houses in the school.

Yes ordinarily this is the case. People are multi tribal these days, they belong to many and varied tribes as they grow and evolve.

So what has gone wrong that people feel the need to keep on upping the anti.

Yes ordinarily this is the case. People are multi tribal these days, they belong to many and varied tribes as they grow and evolve.

So what has gone wrong that people feel the need to keep on upping the anti.

Yes agree with this view, it seems to be a holistic problem that has escalated in its exposure over the last 2-3 years, on a global scale!

There appears to be less of a common understanding on a wide range of topics than there was previously, although it's actually quite difficult to measure because the communication channels are totally biased one way or another.

I have been trying for months now, to work out how one can reach a truth about a subject, any subject, I'm still searching for that answer. It's not a case of being lost in the mele though, its more that the truth is either unknown or hidden from view, it 'feels' wrong.

The gut instinct is that something's gotta give, I'm just not sure what, or when.

Or does one happily retreat away from it all and actually not care about the lack of understanding and the tribalism? Would that path actually lead to a worst outcome without you actually realising it?

Last edited: