Brexit and the Consequences

Afak the UK being a member of the EU customs union stops us negotiating trade deals with countries outside the EU, last year the government set up
the “ international trade committee “ to deal with this very issue, therefore it was always the plan to leave the EU customs union.

Well, yes, of course - the whole point of the customs job was to have the negotiating done en bloc. My concern as to what is happening right now is that the existing arrangement is to be ended in a manner that not only leaves the UK to make new agreements with all the trading partners of the EU but that if a new inclusive agreement is not found, also with the individual members of the EU itself - the hope there is that the EU in its largesse and in a completely uncharacteristic display of generosity will allow a new arrangement which, whilst not being any kind of Customs Union, will still permit trade to take place in the same favorable conditions without the onus of membership constraints. How does that saying go?: if it quacks like duck etc etc....

I wonder what the UK can offer that will allow this to happen. Anyway, there is still hope, right?

Can't think why, but the phrase "delusional snowflake" springs to mind....

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, yes, of course - the whole point of the customs job was to have the negotiating done en bloc. My concern as to what is happening right now is that the existing arrangement is to be ended in a manner that not only leaves the UK to make new agreements with all the trading partners of the EU but that if a new inclusive agreement is not found, also with the individual members of the EU itself - the hope there is that the EU in its largesse and in a completely uncharacteristic display of generosity will allow a new arrangement which, whilst not being any kind of Customs Union, will still permit trade to take place in the same favorable conditions without the onus of membership conditions. How does that saying go?: if it quacks like duck etc etc....

I wonder what the UK can offer that will allow this to happen. Anyway, there is still hope, right?

Can't think why, but the phrase "delusional snowflake" springs to mind....

I'm sure they would like us to continue buying dodgy German cars, you know the ones with built in software to get around those minor issues.... emissions.

I'm sure they would like us to continue buying dodgy German cars, you know the ones with built in software to get around those minor issues.... emissions.

I'm sure they do and in fact, I did:)...and tbh I couldn't give a rat's testicle about the software....not that I mean to give the impression that I am in anyway prejudiced against rodents in the specific or in the general whether they be possessed of the aforementioned organs or not.

Anyway, the question that is germane (ho ho) to the issue, is not whether the EU and the UK will continue to trade or not, as it is an evidence that they will. What IS in doubt is the nature of the mechanism that is going to allow this to take place and whether it will be as much to the UK's advantage as has been in the past.

Well, yes, of course - the whole point of the customs job was to have the negotiating done en bloc. My concern as to what is happening right now is that the existing arrangement is to be ended in a manner that not only leaves the UK to make new agreements with all the trading partners of the EU but that if a new inclusive agreement is not found, also with the individual members of the EU itself - the hope there is that the EU in its largesse and in a completely uncharacteristic display of generosity will allow a new arrangement which, whilst not being any kind of Customs Union, will still permit trade to take place in the same favorable conditions without the onus of membership constraints. How does that saying go?: if it quacks like duck etc etc....

Your post implies that the EU have the upper hand here, that’s no way to enter any negotiations.. Now, if the EU play their cards right and give us most of what we request then we may give them a free trade deal to sell there cars,meat and any other wares they may have into the U.K., as we are a major if not the biggest importer of their goods I think we hold all the aces. Is that not a more positive way of describing the situation. :LOL:

Your post implies that the EU have the upper hand here, that’s no way to enter any negotiations.. Now, if the EU play their cards right and give us most of what we request then we may give them a free trade deal to sell there cars,meat and any other wares they may have into the U.K., as we are a major if not the biggest importer of their goods I think we hold all the aces. Is that not a more positive way of describing the situation. :LOL:

Oh indeed, indeed! A much more positive way - just keep taking the tablets, get plenty of bed rest and drink lots of fluids and I'm sure you'll be up and about again in no time:p

It's true.....they need us more than we need them. (y)

https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/

It's true.....they need us more than we need them. (y)

https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/

As things are NOW, with current customs union in place NOW, with the balance of trade NOW, with CURRENT tariffs and barriers ( or rather, lack of them) - the EU would be insane to even think about jeopardising the status quo.....but THEY aren't, the UK is.

The trade situation is merely part of a web of economic relationships that have grown up over decades and the EU is looking at what they are going to exact in order for the UK to choose at least some of the things that it holds dear. Real negotiation with the EU has not started because we haven't finished our own internal squabbles and dithering.

The UK has few friends in Europe and the appalling Michel du Fumier has just today confirmed that the UK should not expect the relationship to continue without "adjustments" and referred to tariffs and barriers in particular.

Amazin’ ain’t it. Traders all and prattling on about Brexit whilst DOW has dropped nearly 800 points today so far and over 2000 in the last five days. Thought that would rate a mention at least :LOL:

Not being in the customs union and having a “ free trade agreement “ with the EU are two different things entirely, We cannot trade with other countries inside a customs union, no if’s or but’s ...we were always going to leave it.

This is a fallacy.

Whilst all forecasts of remainers are rubbished as if all civil servant and independent bodies are in some way in cahoots with the EU we are led to believe the claims of few politically astute and power hungry politicians that we can have free trade with the rest of the bigger world.

The whole point is within the EU we already have this.

If anything because of the size and scale of the EU's bargaining power we have much better favourable deals protecting our national interests of the block whilst having trade deals with else where.

Somehow the so called EXPERT opinion goes unchallenged that there are zillions of free trade deals with the rest of the World just waiting queueing up for us????

Open eyes wide and think about what is being promised here? Apply the same scepticism that you apply to all other analysis that may suggest otherwise.

Trump turned on his word.
Japanese said hmmm so what's on offer that isn't on the table in other countries and we quite like the EU.
India said no can do unless you give us free movement of labour.
China said we prefer the UK to be in EU helping us with our trade.

YET all Brexiters take it for granted trade with rest of the World is just there ripe for the taking.

As if UK on her own will be able to strike better deals than the EU as a block.

Some peoples political wet dreams knows no ends and bounds. Fantasists. The lot of'm bunch of useless utter contemptible dastardlies sacrificing national interest for political gain.

Unblievable laughter at the silly forecasts of some people, I'm cracking up. Literally.

So what other countries are you unable to trade with where you think you can strike better deals than what's in place with the EU???

No it's not.

As explained before goods substitution will take place and EU will start buying from each other.

Delays in customs union as well as additional costs means those numbers in export and imports will not remain the same.

UK historically has a defecit in BoP for goods and services and with a fall in the pound over a hard brexit as surely you have all witnessed will mean inflationary pressures will rise and we'll simply pay more.

As manufacturing is non existent and coupled with dying service sector in financials those expected calculations are all soooo wrong.

Brexiters say expensive EU goods will be displaced by cheaper foreign goods but that ignores higher transportation costs over longer distances with poorer standards.

No it's not.

As explained before goods substitution will take place and EU will start buying from each other.

Delays in customs union as well as additional costs means those numbers in export and imports will not remain the same.

UK historically has a defecit in BoP for goods and services and with a fall in the pound over a hard brexit as surely you have all witnessed will mean inflationary pressures will rise and we'll simply pay more.

As manufacturing is non existent and coupled with dying service sector in financials those expected calculations are all soooo wrong.

Brexiters say expensive EU goods will be displaced by cheaper foreign goods but that ignores higher transportation costs over longer distances with poorer standards.

Sounds to me like the EU better stop d1cking about and sign up a good deal (y)

Imagine how much it's going to cost them, if they survive that is, before they come to their senses.

Doesn't bear thinking about.

Sounds to me like the EU better stop d1cking about and sign up a good deal (y)

Imagine how much it's going to cost them, if they survive that is, before they come to their senses.

Doesn't bear thinking about.

You sound like Davies two days after the referendum. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Question the EU needs to ask themselves right about now is....would we rather negotiate with Theresa the appeaser or face the Moggster in a few weeks time.

No difference as EU is on to a winner as UK just shot it self in the foot.

This is how they are thinking...

We'll share / take the financial industries best talents and move a few bank jobs. Thank you very much.

Japanese will soon move car factory assembly plants over to Europe. We'll make'm do so as 80% of value added goods must originate within EU borders.

EBA and EMA already en route.

UK citizens will still buy our cars as Brits don't make any.

They are not food independent and will still buy our food.

What do we need the UK for? Head scratch????

Last edited:
No difference as EU is on to a winner as UK just shot it self in the foot.

This is how they are thinking...

We'll share / take the financial industries best talents and move a few bank jobs. Thank you very much.

Japanese will soon move car factory assembly plants over to Europe. We'll make'm do so as 80% of value added goods must originate within EU borders.

EBA and EMA already en route.

UK citizens will still buy our cars as Brits don't make any.

They are not food independent and will still buy our food.

What do we need the UK for? Head scratch????

Save your bandwidth chicken, no matter how much you write and protest the brexit train is on full steam ahead, a few snowflakes on the track won’t stop this big mama. :LOL: :LOL:

Save your bandwidth chicken, no matter how much you write and protest the brexit train is on full steam ahead, a few snowflakes on the track won’t stop this big mama. :LOL: :LOL:

Agree with you here.

EU doesn't want the UK and

UK doesn't know what it wants.

Brexiters having self indulgent time of their lives for now.

I know you like to laugh and joke about it all matey but in all sincerity this is not funny at all.

Very much like all those who partied when news of WWI broke out. There was hysteria. Poeple queued up to get in to uniform to go and kick Hanns rear. Would be great fun. Show the world what the Brits were made of.

We are going to forge great and wonderful free trade agreements with the rest of the World. Wow. How great is that going to be?

Wages are going to rise.

Prices are going to fall.

Housing crises will be resolved.

Our infrastructure will heave a sigh of relief when foreign workers leave.

Great plan yep.

I don't understand what the elephants and flakes got to do with it though. Am I missing something?

I can’t understand why you have no vision why we can’t be a great country outside of the union... We will govern ourselves and carry on trading with the EU Including many other countries, worse case scenario and we end up trading with the EU under wto rules, will the weekly increase in tariffs be more than the 350 million we pay in EU subscription ? bet it’s not.