Brexit and the Consequences

Oh dear oh dear, Sourby is at it again. Twining on now because No 10 is not listening to her suggestions :LOL: To top it off, she blames Mogg and Johnston, who are simply ensuring that the will of the people is being carried out (Brexit).

Perhaps it's time she did leave, the job is clearly too much for her! She could take that awful Amber Rudd with her, maybe start a new party (y)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42955553

Here she is in action on Newsnight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09rcn45/newsnight-05022018

Last edited:
Amazin’ ain’t it. Traders all and prattling on about Brexit whilst DOW has dropped nearly 800 points today so far and over 2000 in the last five days. Thought that would rate a mention at least :LOL:

Perhaps le cretin will take note, come to his senses and tell the EU that they need to do a deal with the UK. We all know what will happen to Europe if Global finance leader London decides to turn the taps off. Deutsche bank is still on the edge.....

Oh dear oh dear, Sourby is at it again. Twining on now because No 10 is not listening to her suggestions :LOL: To top it off, she blames Mogg and Johnston, who are simply ensuring that the will of the people is being carried out (Brexit).

Perhaps it's time she did leave, the job is clearly too much for her! She could take that awful Amber Rudd with her, maybe start a new party (y)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42955553

Here she is in action on Newsnight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09rcn45/newsnight-05022018

Dreadful woman! My worst nightmare as a mother-in-law.

I can’t understand why you have no vision why we can’t be a great country outside of the union... We will govern ourselves and carry on trading with the EU Including many other countries, worse case scenario and we end up trading with the EU under wto rules, will the weekly increase in tariffs be more than the 350 million we pay in EU subscription ? bet it’s not.

Ah, mon petit Michel! Yes, of course the UK can be a great country outside the EU. The problem is simply this: since the end of WW2, the UK has been a little peess-pot beetroot quasi-republic serially run by cynical nest-feathering incompetents. There is absolutely no sign of this changing, so why should anything else?

The UK's lack of relevance on the world stage is shortly to be reflected by that in Europe. The only people for whom the UK is anyway "special" are the unfortunates who live here and we're in the process of leaving one of the few relevant clubs that would have us as a member - which basically makes Britain into a political manifestation of Groucho Marx.

Coz you ave an airy ar5e and he shaves his ;)

I'm curious on this point - despite the invective, I suspect that such intimate knowledge of CV's more intimate parts, intimates a more intimate relationship than appearances would indicate.....

Ah, mon petit Michel! Yes, of course the UK can be a great country outside the EU. The problem is simply this: since the end of WW2, the UK has been a little peess-pot beetroot quasi-republic serially run by cynical nest-feathering incompetents. There is absolutely no sign of this changing, so why should anything else?

The UK's lack of relevance on the world stage is shortly to be reflected by that in Europe. The only people for whom the UK is anyway "special" are the unfortunates who live here and we're in the process of leaving one of the few relevant clubs that would have us as a member - which basically makes Britain into a political manifestation of Groucho Marx.

That little pees-pot beetroot quasi republic as you say happens to be the 5th largest economy in the world, now given the size of it I’d say that’s some achievement, But it will have something more powerful next year, sovereignty....They say the pen is far mightier than the sword, look at Thatcher how she tried to bring down the unions,Blair who took us to war, both once were among the most powerful figures in the world yet both went from hero to zero with the stoke of a pen on Election Day, This is what terrifies the EU, Democracy, they like to keep a firm grasp on their power and come down with great force on anybody who threatens that, Well the people of the U.K have spoken, in great numbers and if that means 10p on a bag of carrots or a extra 500 squid on my next Audi then imo it’s a small price to pay ....:cheesy:

That little pees-pot beetroot quasi republic as you say happens to be the 5th largest economy in the world, now given the size of it I’d say that’s some achievement, But it will have something more powerful next year, sovereignty....They say the pen is far mightier than the sword, look at Thatcher how she tried to bring down the unions,Blair who took us to war, both once were among the most powerful figures in the world yet both went from hero to zero with the stoke of a pen on Election Day, This is what terrifies the EU, Democracy, they like to keep a firm grasp on their power and come down with great force on anybody who threatens that, Well the people of the U.K have spoken, in great numbers and if that means 10p on a bag of carrots or a extra 500 squid on my next Audi then imo it’s a small price to pay ....:cheesy:

I hear and understand everything you say and how I wish that sovereignty and UK flavoured democracy were the cure-alls that you seem to think they are. The UK has been in economic and political decline since the last war and this was only exacerbated by the catastrophe that was the end of the Bretton Woods agreement that had been propping us up. (see balance of trade pic attached)

As to the idea of the EU being terrified by the idea of democracy itself - I just don't know where you can have got this idea from because it certainly isn't from Europe. The whole point of the original european unity wagon was to avoid the wars that autocratic rulers and fundamentally undemocratic systems brought about. As far back as Coudenhove Kalergy and even earlier the idea was for a europe that was so inextricably linked by trade, culture and universal democracy that wars would not be possible. If you care to remember, the old arrangements where royal families were supposed to do the same job on the basis that they were all related turned out to be rubbish as evidenced by the tragical farce of WW1.

As those same royal families fared badly, after 1918 a new mechanism was needed and it is unfortunate that Messrs Mussolini and Hitler preempted it's establishment.
After the next example of "how not to do Europe" with WW2 it seemed a sensible idea of spending some of that lovely American jubbly (Marshall plan etc - later OEEC and then OECD - I think) in watering the seeds of the first real european agreement, the coal and steel junket.

And the idea that British democracy is somehow of a better calibre than european democracy. Hmm, you point to the exits of Thatcher and Blair as examples of this superiority but then how does the political demise of General Gaulle fit in (who lost his head) figuratively speaking - by a referendum? Or more recently, the sudden rise of Macron and his brand new party??

Returning to economics: if you were to look a little more closely at the UK's situation over time you'd see that being "5th economy" in the world isn't quite the glowing achievement that it sounds. In fact, it's rather like the old joke "How do you make a small fortune?" Answer "Start off with a big one". A cursory glance through ONS figures shows exactly what's been happening to national GDP, debt and you name it and in this case, the trend is not your friend. How does it go: lower highs and lower lows....and when we see that, what do we do chaps??? Go Long and Vote for Brexit! I'll be buying a Put or two, meself.

Lastly and leastly, if the exchange rates stay more or less the same then your bag of Audi carrots will indeed not cost that much more. OTOH why do you think that anything will stay the same now that the decision has been taken to change everything? A very courageous decision indeed and I am over-awed by your optimism.

As I'm scarpering early, I'll leave you to turn off the lights.

Attachments

• UK_annual_balance_of_trade_in_goods_since_1870_(£m).png
    UK_annual_balance_of_trade_in_goods_since_1870_(£m).png
    25.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited by a moderator:
You’re obviously a educated gent mr. Cantagril so I’ll not draw swords again in fear of embarrassing myself due to lack of historical knowledge, or is it to late. :LOL:

You’re obviously a educated gent mr. Cantagril so I’ll not draw swords again in fear of embarrassing myself due to lack of historical knowledge, or is it to late. :LOL:

Damn!

Manners and courtesy get in the way of a good brawl yet again(n)

Where's a boorish short-sighted semi-educated venal ignoramus when you want one? Oh, they're all in government. Never mind I'm sure there are more:)

Damn!

Manners and courtesy get in the way of a good brawl yet again(n)

Where's a boorish short-sighted semi-educated venal ignoramus when you want one? Oh, they're all in government. Never mind I'm sure there are more:)

Once you bring ww1,ww2, poll pot and Neanderthal man into a brexit debate I quickly tune out. Though hhusa loves a bit of European history if you want to display your feathers. :LOL:

Once you bring ww1,ww2, poll pot and Neanderthal man into a brexit debate I quickly tune out. Though hhusa loves a bit of European history if you want to display your feathers. :LOL:

Not really but thanks for the thought. Anyway, for me, the whole Brexit thing is a matter of context - for some, they'll get exactly what they wished for and deserve and for others, they won't. Again, history will let us know which is which.

BTW: Neanderthals? That was me?

Let's all give a big hand to Stephen Huyton. My kinda guy demanding his rights. Why should he give them up for a bunch of mad hooligans.

Brexit: Britons' citizenship case to be taken to European court

That Moggie fella is a real nasty piece of work. 6 children and never changed dipers once. What kind of a father figure do you think that makes him?

Apparently, read somewhere he thinks even if a daughter is raped and falls pregnant to her father she should have the baby. My stomach churns at these religious nuts who seem to pass some kind of superior judgement over other peoples rights and freedoms. :mad::devilish::mad: Makes me so very annoyed.

I feel Mr Huyton is more of a better well adjusted super English gentlemen than this Moggie waste of space.

Admirable fella Mr Huyton. He gets my vote.

He and his family maintain that they hold independent rights as EU citizens, above those of any specific member state.

However, many Brexit supporters argue that the ECJ should not have power to overrule British court decisions.

More than a million British nationals live in EU countries and about 42,500 live in the Netherlands.

"You cannot play with the lives of 1.2 million people as if they are pieces on a chess board," said Mr Huyton, who was not eligible to vote in the UK's EU referendum in 2016 as he had been living outside the UK for more than 15 years.

Versions of Brexit under consideration by the cabinet could cut British manufacturing exports by up to a third, according to new economic modelling that finds leave-voting areas such as Sunderland, Coventry, Derby and County Durham suffering most as a result.

As a special subcommittee of the cabinet meets on Wednesday to agree trade priorities in the absence of a customs union with the EU, pressure is growing on the government to spell out the implications of a go-it-alone strategy for industrial regions of the country.

A team of trade experts at the University of Sussex has built on recently leaked estimates from the Treasury by analysing the relative impact of the different scenarios now in vogue on 122 manufacturing sectors.
The paper, by the UK Trade Policy Observatory, finds that even if the government is able to strike free trade agreements (FTAs) with every other major country, it would still lead to falls in exports of 34% and 30% for the food and textiles industries respectively if they face new barriers with their main markets in Europe.

“Even achievement of the (literally) incredible objective of signing FTAs with every non-EU country would not compensate for the loss of the relationship with the EU,” write the team, led by Prof Alasdair Smith.
While food processing would enjoy domestic sales increases that would offset the blow, the overall impact of relying solely on trade deals outside Europe would be to cut all manufacturing exports by 13% and reduce total output by 3.6% as sectors such as carmaking struggle to gain access to markets, according to the research.

“Areas of the country where there are many jobs in food processing may see gains in output, but most manufacturing jobs are in sectors which are at risk from Brexit, and a list of the areas most at risk – Sunderland, Birmingham, Coventry, Derby, Cheshire East, Solihull, and County Durham – show the importance of the motor industry in assessing the risks of Brexit,” they added.

Despite mounting pressure from the business community, the government’s official strategy is still to find “frictionless” ways of offsetting the pain of leaving the EU single market and customs union as well as striking new international deals.

“We will be leaving the EU and the customs union and it is not government policy to be members of the customs union or a customs union,” said a spokesman this week. “[A] paper in August set out two possible options and they are a highly streamlined customs arrangement and a new customs partnership with the EU.”
But some Brexiters such as Jacob Rees-Mogg go further still and argue that the government should increase the relative boost from new markets by embracing a radically unilateral approach to free trade.

Rees-Mogg cites research by free-traders such as Prof Patrick Minford of Cardiff University, who has argued the subsequent benefit to consumers would offset the possible “elimination” of manufacturing in such a scenario.
“Over time, if we left the EU, it seems likely that we would mostly eliminate manufacturing, leaving mainly industries such as design, marketing and hi-tech,” Minford wrote. “But this shouldn’t scare us.”

However, the latest research by Sussex University argues that the damage to manufacturing from lost access in Europe would hit the parts of the economy most valued by politicians.

“High, medium-high and medium R&D intensive sectors all seem likely to suffer more from the effects of Brexit,” they wrote. “This is an important result since the UK government’s industrial strategy seeks to promote high-tech sectors: Brexit might make it harder to achieve this objective.”

I think it's time we had a Jacob Rees Mogg thread. What say you?

Here he is filling in for that lefty snowflake O'Brian on LBC :LOL:

The second caller is brilliant :LOL:

Last edited: