Brexit and the Consequences

Here's an organisation that appears to be putting some thought into it:

http://www.conservativehome.com/pla...prehensive-agreement-a-call-for-evidence.html

Yep good article and list of things to do. Glad they've finally got their thinking caps on. If I had to pick one point about otherwise an excellent article is the line that reads...

- Amongst the most high profile issues are crime and security.

Really? I don't think so. They do need to prioritise that list with some quantitative/tangible and qualitative/intangible cost and benefits so we are not talking around opinions, hopes and we can do this because we are British belief systems.

(y)

Yep good article and list of things to do. Glad they've finally got their thinking caps on. If I had to pick one point about otherwise an excellent article is the line that reads...

- Amongst the most high profile issues are crime and security.

Really? I don't think so. They do need to prioritise that list with some quantitative/tangible and qualitative/intangible cost and benefits so we are not talking around opinions, hopes and we can do this because we are British belief systems.

(y)

The only trouble is ......... https://policyexchange.org.uk/about-us/ is a think tank and not a department of government. I wonder if they will take any notice of its conclusions??

The only trouble is ......... https://policyexchange.org.uk/about-us/ is a think tank and not a department of government. I wonder if they will take any notice of its conclusions??

Sadly this is where the problem lies. I believe we can send a mission to Mars and populate the moon. No lack of talent, R&D or ability. I have 100% confidence in that we can do and achieve anything we set our minds to. Whether there are gains to be had compared to sacrifices that'll need to be made is another story.

It is purely the politicians who are taking us down some route of hyper words with little meaning without any ground work been done or preparation for what is to come around the corner.

At least our minds will now start to focus on the curved spinning balls hurled at our stumps.

Steady as she goes... (y)

Hi Atilla et al,
Re. fishing and Brexit, this may (or may not) be of interest: Costing the Earth: Fishing Future.
Enjoy!
Tim.

I did listen to this and thought it was very good well balanced presentation.

I did not think comparison with the US was reasonable as they are not surrounded by many smaller countries or on the periphery of a large continent.

Water rights, fish stock and movement much more complex around us.

I do understand the Fishing industry lost more than it gained from Europe and it can be improved upon. From what I remember dating back to 70s & 80s, the CAP and Fisheries policies were based on horse trading between EU nations re: member countries bargaining over their preferred advantages in manufacturing, R&D and agriculture and service industries.

I can also imagine UK not as good in negotiating as the the Europeans and keen for acceptance may have given away fishing in exchange for R&D and Service Sector finance gains.

Either way after 40 years of change some new agreement and construct is probably in order for the fishing industry. This is clearly an area where common interests can be maximised in cooperation instead of competition that is for sure. Compromises will have to be made.

I just hope much like the U turn on NHS monies payback this Brexit cabinet doesn't negotiate fishing interests away for an alternative gain.

They have to come back with something otherwise am I right in thinking they'll have to kiss your vote goodbye?

What can one say but a snap election called by May to head-off Brexit opposition whilst she is ahead in the polls.

Good move considering she is 20 points in the lead according to press.

Good opportune moment for Liberals to win more seats and become the true opposition to Tories as Labour is in the wilderness.

What can one say but a snap election called by May to head-off Brexit opposition whilst she is ahead in the polls.

Good move considering she is 20 points in the lead according to press.

Good opportune moment for Liberals to win more seats and become the true opposition to Tories as Labour is in the wilderness.

Brexit means Brexit :)

So now all the whingers and spoilers who thought they could subvert the referendum result can basically go swivvel.

A brilliant call from May.

European indices tanking, pound up, it's all going swimmingly :)
Writing now well and truly on the wall for the EU and their negotiating position will soon be in tatters when the Tories clean up with an increased majority.

Get the flags out boyz.

Brexit means Brexit :)

So now all the whingers and spoilers who thought they could subvert the referendum result can basically go swivvel.

A brilliant call from May.

European indices tanking, pound up, it's all going swimmingly :)
Writing now well and truly on the wall for the EU and their negotiating position will soon be in tatters when the Tories clean up with an increased majority.

Get the flags out boyz.

Yes I agree it was a good call and a necessary one from May. (y)

I liked what William Hague said that it was a weak position going into Brexit negotiations with such a narrow referendum win and 16 seat margin in Parliament.

I think they also have a better idea of what now lies ahead but will it be presented to the British people in open debate that's the question?

I'm not sure the election will be a strong win as her position currently is.

This is much like sweeping dirt under the carpet for infestation before the real deal turns up for the British people.

Anyhow, Liberals the only reasonable opposition and if it does turn into another Brexit in or out I hope they do well.

I think that TM is between a rock and a hard place. I cannot, quite, see the argument that she is going to gain more seats. She may do but, with a referendum of 52%-48% there is a lot of room for the disgruntled to have a chance of voting for someone else. A hung parliament is, well, on the cards.

As always, a "wait and see" situation.

Britain is going to leave EU, I'm as sure of that as is possible in this day of crazy politicians and home grown democracy, but, as TM said, the negotiating power of the country is at stake.

I think that TM is between a rock and a hard place. I cannot, quite, see the argument that she is going to gain more seats. She may do but, with a referendum of 52%-48% there is a lot of room for the disgruntled to have a chance of voting for someone else. A hung parliament is, well, on the cards.
. .
Hi Split',
I disagree. (There's a surprise!) Far from being between a rock and a hard place - it's a no brainer decision - and she'll clean up big time, IMO. Why? Because, as we are repeatedly told, the majority of the 52% who voted leave in the referendum were working class - much like myself! Listening to the today program on Radio 4 this morning (like most working class people do, lol), there were a number of hard core labour voters who said they will be voting Tory for the first time in their lives. And the reasons are simple: 1) along with the parliamentary Labour Party they don't like Mr. Corbyn and, more importantly, 2) Mrs. May and the Tories are the only party who will deliver on Brexit.

Labour and the Lib Dems have really shot themselves in the foot over Brexit and could both be in complete tatters post election when Mrs May is elected with the largest ever landslide in British political history. That's my prediction. And yes, I too am faced with the prospect of voting Tory for the first time - I see no other viable alternative - and I say that as a former Green Party member!!!
Tim.

Hi Split',
I disagree. (There's a surprise!) Far from being between a rock and a hard place - it's a no brainer decision - and she'll clean up big time, IMO. Why? Because, as we are repeatedly told, the majority of the 52% who voted leave in the referendum were working class - much like myself! Listening to the today program on Radio 4 this morning (like most working class people do, lol), there were a number of hard core labour voters who said they will be voting Tory for the first time in their lives. And the reasons are simple: 1) along with the parliamentary Labour Party they don't like Mr. Corbyn and, more importantly, 2) Mrs. May and the Tories are the only party who will deliver on Brexit.

Labour and the Lib Dems have really shot themselves in the foot over Brexit and could both be in complete tatters post election when Mrs May is elected with the largest ever landslide in British political history. That's my prediction. And yes, I too am faced with the prospect of voting Tory for the first time - I see no other viable alternative - and I say that as a former Green Party member!!!
Tim.

We are going to have wait to see on this. I don't think that she has much choice, myself.

Now that I am resigned to UK leaving EU I have no fish to fry in this. TM is trying to get herself in the best, possible, negotiating position and it could, of course, give her power for another two years. Good luck to her and to the UK!

As for you, you working class person, you, keep throwing those full tosses!

This election is a question of how one approaches the Brexit negotiations.

One makes a decision on approach.
Secrecy is very important for TM or so it seems to me. Is this practical. Well not really as EU is all about openness. Much ado about nothing with TM giving the impression, she's working for the country so very hard when truth be told she is fighting parliament and the lords all the way hiding scrutiny of policy.

One makes a decision on ones team.
Pick as wide a range of skills, experience and opinions as possible would be recommended in forming a good team. One can rule by consensus or rule by do as I say (pick people who agree with you and those you can coerce and bully). This is a case of either you are with us or against us. Dictatorial in style. What we have here is tow the line or get out. Heseltine and Rogers pushed and left by choice in frustration.

Negotiations are subsequently taking a very adversarial combative tone. Us against them with talk of punishment and beatings. For diplomats using these terms is poor choice of words. These words are coming from the British side feeling victimised because they are not given what they want. Not a good show.

Will it lead to optimal outcomes as she blurts out National Interest and unity whilst totally ignoring almost half the population?

What TM wants is more power - a political opportunist jumping on weakness of labour and the advantage wrt poll lead. Lady doesn't trust her colleagues, peers or parliament to reach the right negotiated decision by debate and consensus imo.

Politically, yes it is a good decision for her and the Tories but based on approach and conduct for the best outcome for national interest I remain highly sceptical and feel giving total control to Eurosceptics is very much against the national interest imo.

Hey, you guys! You enjoy yourselves! We have our own fun, over here. Our Iggy got himself arrested this morning. A small matter of 44 million euros missing from the petty cash. His wife and brother got arrested, too.:)

Countries that want bilateral trade deals with the UK will need to form an orderly queue.

Falling over each other to be our bezzers :LOL:

http://www.westmonster.com/post-brexit-aussie-uk-trade-deal-to-be-done-very-quickly/

Trump warming to EU trade deal with Britain behind in queue: Times

Can you remind us what Obama said and see what Trump is now warming to???

You are right about having to form an orderly queue... Just that the order is not what was expected or said to us by Mr Wonderfully Fantastic I'm so Freaking Brilliant POTUS.

:whistling

Trump warming to EU trade deal with Britain behind in queue: Times

Can you remind us what Obama said and see what Trump is now warming to???

You are right about having to form an orderly queue... Just that the order is not what was expected or said to us by Mr Wonderfully Fantastic I'm so Freaking Brilliant POTUS.

:whistling

Quote from the "fake fact" article..." Britain will not be free to agree new trade deals until it has left the EU in 2019 "

So what is the EU going to do ? Throw us out of the union ? :LOL: :LOL:

If there's a trade deal on the table between now and 2019, we will be signing it, fear not....

Market seem to like Macron win in the primary vote. Perhaps more importantly Macron favours closer union and strengthening EU compared to the stuckup and frigid Frexit Le Pen Nationalist crap camp.

First Austria and now France. Onwards and forwards with the EU. :)

As for TM having stolen all of UKIPs voters, Tories are now for raising tax and stealing Labour voters. Tories want to become all things to all men. Obviously quite a few people are stepping up to disappointment. :whistling

As for Corbyn guy wants to reinstate trade union laws that almost destroyed the country making it the sick man of Europe back in the 70s. :mad:

I was thinking in May and Corbyn UK is destined for some bad times ahead. All hope is on Liberals to save the day. (y)

Last edited:
What is Le Pen doing the silly moo.

Stepping down from her party so she can represent all of France do what exactly?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39696861

Stupidity at it's worst. What has changed that'll make her stand above partisan considerations. What will she do different that she could not have leading her National Front party. Alternatively, what she will not do that she was wanting to do?

Ms Le Pen said her decision had been made out of the "profound conviction" that the president of the republic must bring together all of the French people.

"So, this evening, I am no longer the president of the National Front. I am the candidate for the French presidency," she said.

She did not realise this before and just woke up to it. What a freaking revelation that must have been.

So she is representing all of France and Macron is anti-France.

Desperation move indeed. How low can politicians go. :mad: