Brexit and the Consequences

With fewer than 400,000 mandarins on hand, the British state needs to divorce from the European Union and forge a new trading relationship with its biggest market. It must also strike commercial deals with other nations, transpose European laws into British ones and create new regulatory bodies and systems for policing immigration and managing customs.

Such demands — on top of the day-to-day requirements of keeping the nation safe and providing healthcare — leave the nation’s top civil servant, Jeremy Heywood, acknowledging that “the challenge of Brexit has few, if any, parallels in its complexity.”

As Bloomberg’s Alex Morales asks on Tuesday, the question is whether a bureaucracy shrunk by fiscal austerity can rise to the challenge, as May on Wednesday triggers two years of talks with her 27 European counterparts.

Catherine Barnard, professor of EU law at the University of Cambridge, said:

“The reality is that this can’t possibly be done in two years because it’s such a vast undertaking. As the government turns over each individual stone, they realize that there are quite a lot of stones underneath and none of them can be dealt with very easily.”

Totally out of their depths and they won't be told. Queue Ivan Rogers departure. These are the people to negotiate our position. Politicians will negotiate from there perspective of saving their seat and having their names written down in history books.

British public will toil away for years been hood winked into a calamitous national disaster.

Get in the queue for ya £9bn left over crumbs. :(

With fewer than 400,000 mandarins on hand, the British state needs to divorce from the European Union and forge a new trading relationship with its biggest market. It must also strike commercial deals with other nations, transpose European laws into British ones and create new regulatory bodies and systems for policing immigration and managing customs.

Such demands — on top of the day-to-day requirements of keeping the nation safe and providing healthcare — leave the nation’s top civil servant, Jeremy Heywood, acknowledging that “the challenge of Brexit has few, if any, parallels in its complexity.”

As Bloomberg’s Alex Morales asks on Tuesday, the question is whether a bureaucracy shrunk by fiscal austerity can rise to the challenge, as May on Wednesday triggers two years of talks with her 27 European counterparts.

Catherine Barnard, professor of EU law at the University of Cambridge, said:

“The reality is that this can’t possibly be done in two years because it’s such a vast undertaking. As the government turns over each individual stone, they realize that there are quite a lot of stones underneath and none of them can be dealt with very easily.”

Totally out of their depths and they won't be told. Queue Ivan Rogers departure. These are the people to negotiate our position. Politicians will negotiate from there perspective of saving their seat and having their names written down in history books.

British public will toil away for years been hood winked into a calamitous national disaster.

Get in the queue for ya £9bn left over crumbs. :(

T2W may be able to put forward a delegation if it helps.:)

c_v, smini, mike Timsk

Our demands would be quite reasonable I'm sure. 5 star hotels, al a carte menu, finest wines, room service, mini bar, travel expenses, and a daily allowance of say £600 (each). Fixed term Two year deal. Early termination clause (full payment)

Oh and we couldn't possibly attend unless there are free flowing ferrero rocher at the venue.

At the hotel, we will settle for fresh strawberries and One of those chocolate fountain thingies in the private lounge area. (cadburys please, none of that Belgian crap)

ps (listen up boyz, if we car share, those travel expenses soon mount up. know what I'm sayin!)

Attachments

• this could be us.jpg
    this could be us.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 82
. . . ps (listen up boyz, if we car share, those travel expenses soon mount up. know what I'm sayin!)
Sounds good c_v.
Does it also include access to the private shopping mall normally reserved exclusively for EU staff? I ask as I'm tired of shopping with the hoi polloi: I have to take a shower after a trip to Tesco's.
:LOL:

First hurdle - EU wants the UK over a barrel. Both sides up to no good imo. Two camps will now become entrenched and all reason goes out the door.

European Council President Donald Tusk’s guidelines for Brexit chief Michel Barnier will probably limit the scope of the upcoming talks to the terms of the divorce and not include a future trade relationship with the U.K, three people familiar with the matter said.

Tusk is set to publish draft guidelines for Barnier by the end of this week after U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May formally requests the split on Wednesday. His current stance would be a blow to the U.K. which wants to discuss the breakup and future ties in tandem to preserve bargaining power and support at home. The people asked not to be named as plans haven’t been finalized yet.

EU officials have repeatedly said they want Britain to agree an exit fee of about 50 billion pounds ($62 billion) before they turn to the sweeping trade deal May is seeking.

On a positive note I thought this was uplifting.

The risk of EU officials adopting a hard line might explain why May struck a conciliatory tone on Tuesday by saying she hoped the next two years of talks would “secure a new deep and special partnership” between the two sides.

What the EU27 wants from Brexit

So, today is the first day of the rest of our political life!

This article states what officials from each of the 27 say they want from us: but as in life & trading, what you want and what you get aren't always the same. The thing that strikes me is how many things we've got that they want - always a good thing to know when in negotiations!

Happy reading. :)

http://www.politico.eu/article/what...il&utm_term=0_10959edeb5-d89ad7caf0-190011953

I never said he couldn't voice an opinion. I said his opinion in the article was wrong on every level. That is my opinion.

Will you be joining the debate?

In my opinion your opinion that Hezza's opinion was wrong on every level is wrong on every level :LOL:

I never said he couldn't voice an opinion. I said his opinion in the article was wrong on every level. That is my opinion.

Will you be joining the debate?

You are quite right, When I read your post last night I had participated in one or two, too many vodkas. No, you didn't say that at all. Now I am soba I take it all back (the story of my life :LOL:)

Last edited:
So, today is the first day of the rest of our political life!

This article states what officials from each of the 27 say they want from us: but as in life & trading, what you want and what you get aren't always the same. The thing that strikes me is how many things we've got that they want - always a good thing to know when in negotiations!

Happy reading. :)

http://www.politico.eu/article/what...il&utm_term=0_10959edeb5-d89ad7caf0-190011953

Spain wants your tourists, so don't let the pound drop too much, or they won't be able to afford the fare to the airport, let alone the rest!

Spain wants your tourists, so don't let the pound drop too much, or they won't be able to afford the fare to the airport, let alone the rest!

I read a report that lots of British Expats in Spain are now applying for citizenship. Is that true? What's the Spanish government position on this?

Lots of Brits like Spain for the weather and its other fine attributes so I don't think the exchange rate will make all that difference - when it comes to holidays/widescreen televisions/cars/Sky+Virgin subscriptions, the Brits always seem to find the money from somewhere!