Brexit and the Consequences

Poor souls they are thinking how often they'll be up working late in to the early hours.

Brexit could place 'huge burden' on Parliament

It'll be nothing compared to the 'huge burden' that'll be placed on the UK economy and all the companies that trade with Europe now.

Unlike passing bills that burden will continue along due course of time as the new mode of doing business with the EU.

Are they just waking up?

. . .Are they just waking up?
Indeed they are Atilla. Like the rest of us, they're waking up to the limitless possibilities that will be available to us the minute we're free from the EU's crippling bureaucratic and financial shackles! Only nine sleeps to go before Article 50 is triggered - can't wait!
;)

Indeed they are Atilla. Like the rest of us, they're waking up to the limitless possibilities that will be available to us the minute we're free from the EU's crippling bureaucratic and financial shackles! Only nine sleeps to go before Article 50 is triggered - can't wait!
;)

Pediction for Brexit...

;)

Isn't that much what the French peasants said in 1789?

Religion is the opium of the masses as Corbyn's hero said.
Many, though not all, religious folk tend to get offended or smug or self righteous or indignant or even murderous when their beliefs are challenged.
The liberal open minded approach is to say respect all religions. To me personally, respect for people who believe in fact free and evidence free stories is an inappropriate word. Tolerance of what others think and believe, provided they don't attack others, is the very best I can do and is maybe the hallmark of civilisation and the necessity to live together on such a diverse planet.

Last edited:
;)

How will you be celebrating the signing of the great document next Wednesday Tim ? I think G&T on the rocks, slice of lemon,slice of lime will be the tipple of choice swiftly followed by a second. Cheers brexiteers.

How will you be celebrating the signing of the great document next Wednesday Tim ? I think G&T on the rocks, slice of lemon,slice of lime will be the tipple of choice swiftly followed by a second. Cheers brexiteers.

G&T with Rum => JUM... Try it...

(y)

Isn't that much what the French peasants said in 1789?
I'm surprised at you dbp, I would have thought that you would site your own war of independence and be cheering us on. After all, Brexit is just the political equivalent of what the U.S. did to us militarily 200+ years ago - and that worked out pretty well for you. Granted, things are looking a little iffy right now but, even so, I doubt many of your fellow countrymen and women think the solution is to invite us Brits back and hand us the keys to the White House.
:LOL:

I'm surprised at you dbp, I would have thought that you would site your own war of independence and be cheering us on. After all, Brexit is just the political equivalent of what the U.S. did to us militarily 200+ years ago - and that worked out pretty well for you. Granted, things are looking a little iffy right now but, even so, I doubt many of your fellow countrymen and women think the solution is to invite us Brits back and hand us the keys to the White House.

Whether or not it worked out well for us is still pretty much up in the air. Canada appears to be considerably more evolved than we are, though they are not yet prepared to blow up the world. Depends on goals, I suppose (the US is extremely alpha). As for the French, it took them a century to pull themselves together after the Revolution, my point being that Brexit will very well take more than a few weeks or months to work itself out. If it all does work out to everyone's satisfaction, I'd be surprised if it does so in your lifetime.

. . . I'd be surprised if it does so in your lifetime.
I'm not that old!

With regard to your general point, I suspect you're right. However, even if it takes fifty years to work itself out - it's better to start a week on Wednesday than it is to start next year, the year after that, or in ten years - or at whatever point we might have pulled out in the future.

I'm in c_v's camp in thinking that if the hierarchy within the EU don't pull their socks up pronto and accept that they need to do a major re-think - then the project will collapse. Their current path is unsustainable and the whole house of cards will come tumblin' down if they don't embrace change soon. Brexiteers are just delighted to be the first off the sinking ship. And if the EU does put its house in order (and I hope they do), then the remaining members will have us to thank. If they don't - and it all goes belly up - then the remaining countries will wish they'd followed our lead.

Lastly, I accept the criticism from the remainers that there's no clear plan and that 'Brexit means Brexit' doesn't mean much at all. But that doesn't concern me. The reason being that if the ship is going down, no one in their right mind doggedly stays on board because the person at the tiller of the life raft doesn't know how far or how long it'll take to get to dry land. The first priority is to get in the lifeboat and thank your lucky stars you're not going down with the ship. How - and if - you can then get to the shore is a (very) distant secondary consideration.
Tim.

I'm not that old!

With regard to your general point, I suspect you're right. However, even if it takes fifty years to work itself out - it's better to start a week on Wednesday than it is to start next year, the year after that, or in ten years - or at whatever point we might have pulled out in the future.

I'm in c_v's camp in thinking that if the hierarchy within the EU don't pull their socks up pronto and accept that they need to do a major re-think - then the project will collapse. Their current path is unsustainable and the whole house of cards will come tumblin' down if they don't embrace change soon. Brexiteers are just delighted to be the first off the sinking ship. And if the EU does put its house in order (and I hope they do), then the remaining members will have us to thank. If they don't - and it all goes belly up - then the remaining countries will wish they'd followed our lead.

Lastly, I accept the criticism from the remainers that there's no clear plan and that 'Brexit means Brexit' doesn't mean much at all. But that doesn't concern me. The reason being that if the ship is going down, no one in their right mind doggedly stays on board because the person at the tiller of the life raft doesn't know how far or how long it'll take to get to dry land. The first priority is to get in the lifeboat and thank your lucky stars you're not going down with the ship. How - and if - you can then get to the shore is a (very) distant secondary consideration.
Tim.

Tim

Seems to me that it is much healthier for well being of the world that peoples and their nations come together rather than break apart. Worth a good few "inefficiencies" in my book and that's a small price to pay.

I'll be dead and gone before full ramifications of the Brexit project are worked through and it'll be left to my granchildren to curse you guys for your shortsightedness :LOL:

Tim

Seems to me that it is much healthier for well being of the world that peoples and their nations come together rather than break apart. Worth a good few "inefficiencies" in my book and that's a small price to pay.

I'll be dead and gone before full ramifications of the Brexit project are worked through and it'll be left to my granchildren to curse you guys for your shortsightedness :LOL:

That's a noble sentiment. peoples and nations coming together implies the existence of a reciprocal pro-immigration policy, yet I have yet to read anything about any non-Western societies like in China, Mexico or Middle Eastern openness to the concept of open borders or a very liberal immigration policy, in fact their societies all seem xenophobic, sexist, racist and totalitarian when compared with Western countries. Please provide examples of peoples and nations coming together outside of EU/western immigration.

That's a noble sentiment. peoples and nations coming together implies the existence of a reciprocal pro-immigration policy, yet I have yet to read anything about any non-Western societies like in China, Mexico or Middle Eastern openness to the concept of open borders or a very liberal immigration policy, in fact their societies all seem xenophobic, sexist, racist and totalitarian when compared with Western countries. Please provide examples of peoples and nations coming together outside of EU/western immigration.

India has had an open border with the UK for centuries, whether they liked it or not, along with the rest of the British and Spanish empires. However, I concede your point--I am not a person who believes in something because it is in the interest of humanity. I, simply, think that "coming together" is going to happen, whether we like it or not. There are too many people on this planet and the poor want our way of life and they are going to keep coming. It is in our best interests to defend what we have, but that is all we can do--slow it down, It is going to happen.

http://theconversation.com/how-india-can-stem-the-rising-scourge-of-racism-against-africans-61820

"The country is home to a significant migrant population, most of it from the neighbouring countries in South Asia. In 2010, there were 5.4 million foreign-born people in the country. The number of Africans in India is estimated to be about 40 000, of whom 25 000 are students.

Yet, these small numbers are significant for the growing relations between India and Africa. The Indian government has been announcing scholarships, grants and credit lines for Africa against the backdrop of the India-Africa Forum summits. In spite of these efforts to woo Africa, the government is in denial about racist attacks against Africans in India.

Despite this, stereotyping of Africa is common. African countries are often insidiously used as a metaphor for under-development. And Africans in India are associated with labels such as “debased” as well as “drug-peddling and prostitution”. These stereotypes are constructs of economic hierarchy coloured in racist hues.
Crime and prejudice in India

Racial violence has its parallels in other forms of violence in India. The prejudice runs across multiple channels from caste, region, religion to gender. Sporadic violence against “vulnerable” groups – including black people, white women, Indian women, minorities and the lower castes – is commonplace. The foreigner thus gets caught up in the social hierarchies of the country.

This was apparent in the mob attack against African students in the Delhi metro in 2014 by a crowd chanting nationalist slogans. The ostensible reason for the attack was that the African males had misbehaved towards an Indian woman, even though the police have no register of such a complaint.

The recent attack on a young Tanzanian woman student in Bangalore allegedly happened under the watch of a police constable who did nothing to stop it. She was stripped by a mob that sought justice for a road accident in which a Sudanese national’s car ran over a local woman."

Africa, Asia and America didn't declare war on settlers when they arrived or were passing through. In fact their tribal and existence living along nature were more curious of the white European settlers than one of aggression or declaration of warfare.

It was more stuck up religion spreading their narrow view of how man should live and be portrayed that justified the acts of aggression, butchering and rape and enslavement, indoctrinating tribes for King and countries service.

Religious preachers taming the man who lived naked in the jungle.

Millions were killed, butchered raped and enslaved.

They asked Ghandi what he thought of Western civilisation? His reply was that it would be a good idea! Very apt indeed.

Not sure if I mentioned tribalism at all :LOL:, but anyone who thinks that different people from different cultures are ever going to get along must be truly bonkers. It's never happened in the past and it won't happen in the future.

Not sure if I mentioned tribalism at all :LOL:, but anyone who thinks that different people from different cultures are ever going to get along must be truly bonkers. It's never happened in the past and it won't happen in the future.

It's all happening now.

Look around you :idea: