Brexit and the Consequences

You could always persuade Brexiters to grow Victory Gardens, like during the War. You supplied nearly all your own food. :)

The Two by election results in.

Labour hold Stoke, 7k but with a reduced majority. UKIP +2% 5k, Cons +2% 5k

The more interesting result is Copeland, where the Cons 44% took the seat from Lab 36%. A mid term gain for the party in Govt....almost unheard of !

So once again, the direction of travel is clear. The people are clearly happy with May's stance on Brexit and the Cons can build on this result and clean up at the next general election. May can also be reassured that if she meets any opposition to Brexit, then the public would back her and her policies if asked to do so.

Labour, as Lib Dems can look forward to a considerable time in the wilderness. :) (y)

Not long to the Presidential election, where he is currently running third.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39042884

Come to France big banks, is his plea !
Why would anyone go to France when it is clear that all the wealth is leaving. :LOL:

France is mentioned in this report, over and over. None of it is positive.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkotkin/2016/04/22/where-millionaires-are-moving/#716497027f7b

The US was the second largest recipient of those millionaires. Give us your millionaires, your influential, your entrepreneurs longing to be free (of regulation that is).
give-us-your-glyxw3.jpg

Last edited:
I think Europeans have gone bananas here.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...ories-lash-out-at-eu-s-63-billion-brexit-bill

€60bn for leaving. They must be really really upset with us. Mad dogs those Europeans :-0

We will not be paying €60bn!
We can import from the rest of the World cheaper!
They need us more than we need them!
We'll set our selves up as a tax haven!
We have the rest of the World to trade with!

Take it or leave it!

Doesn't bode well for the start of negotiations or for future trade deals. :whistling

I think Europeans have gone bananas here.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...ories-lash-out-at-eu-s-63-billion-brexit-bill

€60bn for leaving. They must be really really upset with us. Mad dogs those Europeans :-0

We will not be paying €60bn!
We can import from the rest of the World cheaper!
They need us more than we need them!
We'll set our selves up as a tax haven!
We have the rest of the World to trade with!

Take it or leave it!

Doesn't bode well for the start of negotiations or for future trade deals. :whistling

There is a relationship between who has the power in a negotiation, and who has the more need. Sounds like EU needs 60billion.

It's a simple position from the UK here. If they want 60 billion to pay for commitments over the next 5-10 years that were expected of the UK, then UK can expect free access to the EU market and passporting rights for the next 5-10 years. If they don't give, they don't get. They can't expect to get all the benefits of the UK being in the EU for future years, but UK get no benefit.

I really hope the UK isn't going to be weak here.

There is a relationship between who has the power in a negotiation, and who has the more need. Sounds like EU needs 60billion.

It's a simple position from the UK here. If they want 60 billion to pay for commitments over the next 5-10 years that were expected of the UK, then UK can expect free access to the EU market and passporting rights for the next 5-10 years. If they don't give, they don't get. They can't expect to get all the benefits of the UK being in the EU for future years, but UK get no benefit.

I really hope the UK isn't going to be weak here.

I'm in mixed opinion here about the 60bn. I do feel Europeans are over shooting but I expect these responses in negotiations as both sides before sitting down will try and butch them selves up.

I recently negotiated a better deal on our home broadband and phone services as I noticed they were creeping up.

What was interesting is that the min contract period for renogiating was 18months and if one cancelled before that period, I would have to pay almost half the cost of the monthly fixed fee for the remainder period.

I find it really unacceptable to have these long term contract periods as these broadband services have minimal fixed costs. The infrastructure is there and it is a question of switch on and off working with some mac-addresses to designate source and carrier etc.

One doesn't lose ones telephone number which remains the same. Just a transfer of service to a different billing company.

In contrast the EU is 27 countries with literally 100,000s of contractual agreements of one kind or another. Negotiations taking place over 2 years if we are lucky and considerably longer.

Not to mention past hand outs and agreements where the term of agreement and existing commitments like in R&D can run into many years with benefits ROI etc., to be recouped over even longer term.

I just have a horrible feeling that without the right sentiment and approach it's going to be so so very messy with losers on both sides. :(

I'm in mixed opinion here about the 60bn. I do feel Europeans are over shooting but I expect these responses in negotiations as both sides before sitting down will try and butch them selves up.

I recently negotiated a better deal on our home broadband and phone services as I noticed they were creeping up.

What was interesting is that the min contract period for renogiating was 18months and if one cancelled before that period, I would have to pay almost half the cost of the monthly fixed fee for the remainder period.

I find it really unacceptable to have these long term contract periods as these broadband services have minimal fixed costs. The infrastructure is there and it is a question of switch on and off working with some mac-addresses to designate source and carrier etc.

One doesn't lose ones telephone number which remains the same. Just a transfer of service to a different billing company.

In contrast the EU is 27 countries with literally 100,000s of contractual agreements of one kind or another. Negotiations taking place over 2 years if we are lucky and considerably longer.

Not to mention past hand outs and agreements where the term of agreement and existing commitments like in R&D can run into many years with benefits ROI etc., to be recouped over even longer term.

I just have a horrible feeling that without the right sentiment and approach it's going to be so so very messy with losers on both sides. :(

You're right, there is a danger of both sides losing. Let's hope sense prevails. Eu needs the money. So what are they going to offer for it? I think that EU needs a lot of the services the UK provides too. The UK is not in a weak negotiating position here.

Those broadband contracts need a shake up. Not only the 12 or 18 month contract period, but also the fact you then have to pay for a BT line on top which you may never make any calls on. Rip off.

I'm not sure of the legality of you having to pay for a service you're not receiving. A lot of things can be in a contract, and you can sign up to that contract, but it doesn't mean they are legally binding.

Last edited:
I think one should always weigh and consider risks as part of good business practice.

To disregard everything esteemed elder statesmen say with petulant indignation just because referendum was won with a narrow victory, one which was also inconsistent across the union is not wise.

Clarke, Heseltine and Major are not just ordinary by the side politicians. They have held most senior posts and have oodles of experience in government and economic policy. They are not Bliars either.

Once regarded as a “nation of shopkeepers,” Britain may now be a country of bankers.

Some 2.2 million people work in finance and as TheCityUK reports on Tuesday, two-thirds of them are outside of London. Bloomberg’s Richard Partington has met some of them, including David Whitehouse of Duff & Phelps, who spends most of his week in Manchester, sometimes commuting the two hours by train to and from the capital.

He doesn’t want the U.K. to see its advantage in financial services flow to others after divorce from the EU.

Not looking good imo. It's all going to go horribly wrong and much pain will be endured in wet damp cold conditions. :(

Didn't Major call his ministers and ex-PMs , "***tards", for criticising him when he was PM ? ha ha

Democracy rules OK? Whether anyone likes it or not. Just be grateful democracy hasn't given us the likes of Trump The Golden One.

Didn't Major call his ministers and ex-PMs , "***tards", for criticising him when he was PM ? ha ha

Democracy rules OK? Whether anyone likes it or not. Just be grateful democracy hasn't given us the likes of Trump The Golden One.

By the same token those euro-sceptics now in power shouldn't moan about the better half then, should they? :whistling

Or maybe they should, as they are fastards after all? :cheesy:

Last edited:
Sounds as if Major has gotten over having his eggs Curried.....apparently he told Norma he wanted to add some spice to his life......

My belief is that John Major was Maggie's secret revenge on the Conservative party. He's another one of yesterday's men.