Brexit and the Consequences

It is interesting to note Canada is very much in synch with the EU whilst the UK with US.

The "Make America Great Again" trope is not all that dissimilar to the nostalgia for lost empire than is so much a part of Brexit. But it has been suggested that one has to spend at least some time looking backward before he can begin to look forward. The trick is to avoid becoming trapped in the past, like Miss Havisham.

Justin Trudeau:

“It’s time to pay a living wage, to pay your taxes, and give your workers the benefits –- and peace of mind –-- that come with stable, full-time contracts,” Trudeau said, according to prepared remarks. “I fully appreciate the irony of preaching about the struggles of the middle class to a sea of tuxedos and ball gowns, while wearing a bow-tie myself. But this discussion needs to happen.”

The pace of globalization and technological change are driving anxiety, in particular among those fearful their children will be worse off than they were, he said. That belief is fed by “record profits on the back of workers” who toil without full-time pay or benefits. “We’re watching that anxiety transform into anger on an almost daily basis.”

With regard to the above, the following may also be of interest, from Fred Harris:

“There is plenty of money to do what needs to be done in this country, if we take the rich off welfare.”

So, Justin Trudeau and Fred Harris. Anybody else?

UK will be fine although it may take a few decades and we may not be around to see it. The trouble with some Brexiters, though, is that they feel uncomfortable being on their own. They want the whole project to break up. That is a pity, because they are not paying attention to their own, very real, problems.

I'm willing to bet (if I was a betting man, which I'm not. I trade :D) that most of the Brexiters on here have no job to lose and that they do not think that their family is likely to suffer as a consequence of their actions.

Boris, Nigel, Blair and all those, are on top of the heap and they have their own calendar. It does not not include the man in the street. 4,000 lose their jobs? They'll be alright. Won't they?

This is all a bit weird Split. Spanish protesting about not enough immigration :LOL:

Kind of makes me think they havn't been paying attention !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39017265

This is all a bit weird Split. Spanish protesting about not enough immigration :LOL:

Kind of makes me think they havn't been paying attention !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39017265

Well, you know demonstrations! Next week another few thousand can be on the street, wanting the opposite. Barcelona has a campaign currently about so many tourists. A lot of undesirables (lots of Brit youngsters, I'm afraid) have wild parties in flats (whose owners have no permission to rent and pay no taxes) and walk around the streets half drunk and without shirts--women topless, sometimes.

Demonstrations are very similar to referendums--up one day and down the next.The same with immigration problems.

Not paying attention? Spaniards have their own problems--and politicians causing headaches---One of Cataluña's problems is independence and wanting to leave Spain.Not leaving the EU--which I think that they would have to do.

Last edited:
Apparently, only two US presidents have ever been given a State Visit invite since WWII.

Parliament debating Trump's state invite and it is clear the desparation of Theresa May putting on a show to her EU counterparts what the special relationship is all about visiting Trump and offering the invite within the first 7 days of his term.

Now it's all a bit of an embarrassment - especially to the Queen and the UK.

So the official visit to see TM is no problem but state visit to the palace is a no no. Even more so in light of his last 30 days in office. Trump is an embarrassment no body wants to be seen doing business with!

Is it possible to do business with a guy who's out to screw you? I guess it is if one is on the job. :(

U.K. Will Need Low-Skilled EU Migrants After Brexit, Davis Says

Very surprised to hear Davis speaking out like this!

Is he trying to sweet talk Estonians?

The U.K. won’t suddenly shut the door on low-skilled migrants from the European Union who work in restaurants and hotels, Brexit Secretary David Davis said, in comments that risk a political clash over migration policy when Britain leaves the bloc.

During a visit to Estonia, Davis said it will take “years and years” to persuade British workers to do jobs in the hospitality industry or agriculture that are currently carried out by EU migrants, arguing the economy needs continued immigration to maintain its success.

“In the hospitality sector, hotels and restaurants, in the social-care sector, working in agriculture, it will take time -- it will be years and years before we get British citizens to do those jobs,” Davis told reporters in Tallinn on Monday. “Don’t expect just because we’re changing who makes the decision on the policy, the door will suddenly shut: it won’t.”

Davis’s comments risk disappointing Brexit supporters who campaigned to stop low-skilled migrants moving to Britain from the EU, arguing they put pressure on public services such as schools and hospitals and take jobs away from British workers. Cutting immigrant numbers was also a key promise Prime Minister Theresa May’s Conservative Party made to voters before the 2015 general election, which it won.

May Weathers Kraft Threat to U.K. Jobs, Now Moves on to Vauxhall

Angela Eagle, the opposition Labour Party’s former business spokeswoman, said she spoke for her constituency, which is close to Ellesmere Port, in pointing out “it is much cheaper to effectively get rid of British workers” than German ones who benefit from stronger labor laws.

The drop in the pound since the June referendum has already made U.K. companies more attractive to foreign buyers, inviting the unwanted overture of Kraft Heinz Co. for Unilever, which employs 7,500 people in Britain. Luckily for May, Kraft Heinz bowed out before she had to become directly involved, though Clark had contact with both companies.

After the Brexit vote, a jittery Nissan Motor Co. needed to be convinced to follow through on its investment at a plant in northeast England. A letter from Clark did the trick as he promised the Japanese automaker the government would seek to maintain tariff-free access to the EU even after Britain has left the bloc.

Incentives, Please

“May has to provide the incentives for companies to stay, but that’s hard to square,” said Peter Hahn, a professor at London’s Institute of Financial Services and a former Citigroup Inc. executive. “This is going to happen again and again. It comes down to what can May do?”

The challenge of saving jobs comes as May is effectively cutting ties to Britain’s closest trading partners and lurching toward a clean break that would leave the country out of the single market and customs union. Brexit makes the U.K. operations of GM’s European unit even more vulnerable than plants in Germany, Spain and Poland because it raises the specter of tariffs as the country leaves the world’s biggest trading bloc.

After the Brexit vote, a jittery Nissan Motor Co. needed to be convinced to follow through on its investment at a plant in northeast England. A letter from Clark did the trick as he promised the Japanese automaker the government would seek to maintain tariff-free access to the EU even after Britain has left the bloc.

Tariff-free access? I don't see how he can do that. Would someone explain that to me, please?

A promise to "seek" to maintain tariff-free access to EU is not a guarantee. Nissan is a pretty hard outfit to negotiate with. I'm surprised that they let that pass without something else being promised "in case".

It's going to be an interesting two years. Canada gave up after seven.

Last edited:
Tariff-free access? I don't see how he can do that. Would someone explain that to me, please?

A promise to "seek" to maintain tariff-free access to EU is not a guarantee. Nissan is a pretty hard outfit to negotiate with. I'm surprised that they let that pass without something else being promised "in case".

It's going to be an interesting two years. Canada gave up after seven.

That's something that has been puzzling me too - I'm very curious to know what was promised to Nissan. If tariff-free access can't be negotiated with the EU (assuming the EU still exists when we finally exit :LOL:) then presumably it would have to be some form of financial compensation to Nissan. Could be expensive – and am I mistaken or is that Vauxhall knocking at the door? Anybody else got any bright ideas?

An EU break-up is something that cannot be guaranteed, either, much as Brexiters are keeping their fingers crossed. To save me getting into an argument about that :D, I'll say that it is a possibility. If that happens, would Nissan, still, want to go ahead in the UK? The point about that is that opens a whole new box of possibiities.

I think that Brexiters should hope that it does not happen until the UK has got its act together.

An EU break-up is something that cannot be guaranteed, either, much as Brexiters are keeping their fingers crossed. To save me getting into an argument about that :D, I'll say that it is a possibility. If that happens, would Nissan, still, want to go ahead in the UK? The point about that is that opens a whole new box of possibiities.

I think that Brexiters should hope that it does not happen until the UK has got its act together.

Although I'm a Brexiteer I wouldn't want to see the total breakup of the EU – I don't think that would be to anyone's advantage. I reckon the best solution would be for reform – if only they'd done that before now I doubt if the UK referendum would ever have got off the ground. If they'd kept the politics out and the economics in, it could have been so different.

Apparently, only two US presidents have ever been given a State Visit invite since WWII.

Parliament debating Trump's state invite and it is clear the desparation of Theresa May putting on a show to her EU counterparts what the special relationship is all about visiting Trump and offering the invite within the first 7 days of his term.

Now it's all a bit of an embarrassment - especially to the Queen and the UK.

So the official visit to see TM is no problem but state visit to the palace is a no no. Even more so in light of his last 30 days in office. Trump is an embarrassment no body wants to be seen doing business with!

Is it possible to do business with a guy who's out to screw you? I guess it is if one is on the job. :(

Obama got the Nobel Peace prize for doing nothing, even before he did nothing.
Of course Trump should have a state visit.
Especially now the pantomime season is over.

Sad rather than interesting, IMO.
Even if the European court agree with him and he wins his case - that just merely underlines what the whole referendum was about and why we voted to leave. The idea that this will prevent us from leaving the EU is just plain laughable. It's akin to Sharky, me and the Mods trying to stop you from leaving T2W once you've decided you no longer want to be here! Like Gina whatever her name was (forgotten already), he's just a wealthy bloke with too much time on his hands that thinks he knows what's best for everyone else. The only possible outcome of his case will be to strengthen the resolve of Brexiteers and, quite possibly, to win over a few remainers to the cause in the process.
:LOL:

I'm a remainer and a democrat, but if you don't like the referendum result, tough cheese. Get over it and get on with your life rather than try and find ways of overthrowing a democratic result.
And as for that Tony Blair......he still thinks he knows better then anyone else.....he used to think he had a hot line to the almighty.....now he thinks he is the almighty.

The Remainers just don't know when to give up and recognise a democratic vote which they lost. It may not be right, sensible or beneficial in the long term but it was democratic. Why cannot they understand this? :confused:

That's what makes makes a thread! If it wasn't for the remainers you'd be pulling some poor guy's system to bits.:D

Right now nobody knows what Brexit means Brexit is?

I'm very suspicious of those professing to know including our PM who doesn't have the foggiest idea what our departure will look like.

Every dog and his blind monkey knows UK is leaving but nobody knows how she will leave, what negotiations will follow or where our final destination is likely to be.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that most of the British popullation do not know what they are leaving behind, what transport mechanism they'll leave on and have no clue where they'll end up.

We shouldn't worry too much because we have uncle Trump just itching to embrace us all over putting, US first, ofcourse :cool:

Last edited:
Likewise, few Americans have the least idea of the ramifications of this deportation push: revenues, housing, manufacturing, services, agriculture, and more. This mass deportation could easily send us into a recession.

U.K. Farmers Say `Food Will Rot' in Fields Without EU Workers

The U.K. agriculture industry will come to a standstill if the government doesn’t reach a deal that guarantees access to European workers, according to the head of Britain’s farming union.

“Without a workforce –- permanent and seasonal -- it wouldn’t matter what a new trade deal looks like,” Meurig Raymond, president of the National Farmers Union, said at a conference in Birmingham, England. “The lights would go out in our biggest manufacturing sector, food will rot in the fields and Britain will lose the ability to produce and process its own food. That is not what a successful Brexit looks like.”

Farmers are lobbying for a deal that allows unrestricted access to the European market and its laborers as lawmakers grapple with how to leave the European Union. About 22,000 workers from the EU were employed in British agriculture in 2015, about 20 percent of the industry’s workforce, according to a report from the U.K.’s farming development board.

The U.K. government is committed to guaranteeing rights to all EU workers in Britain, as long as the benefits are extended to British workers in the bloc, Environment Secretary Andrea Leadsom said at the conference on Tuesday.

"As for seasonal agricultural workers, I have heard loud and clear the vital role they play in many farm businesses,” she said. “At the same time, we must not forget that a key factor behind the vote to leave the EU was to control immigration.”

She highlighted the role of technology to increase productivity and projects to bring more farm apprenticeships.

The U.K. can use agriculture as a bargaining chip because it buys billions of pounds more food, feed and drink from the EU than vice versa, the Centre for Policy Studies said last month. About 60 percent of U.K.’s farm exports go to the EU.

“Our plan is to seek an all encompassing free-trade agreement,” Leadsom said. “The EU is our most important trading partner, a fact that won’t change when we leave, and a relationship we will work hard to uphold.”

The bit I don't understand is Leadsom saying we can use this as a bargaining chip. If people need to eat they need to purchase food. Not like we have a choice.

She's suggesting we'll import from elsewhere 000 of miles away where food standards will be lower than the EU.

It will cost more money to transport, take longer and be suspect in quality as most perishable in transit.

Good luck with that one as she clearly knows she has a bargaining chip with an edge over the EU. :whistling

Does the British government have any business analysts??? :whistling