Belflan's US stock swing trades

Glen,

I don't think this is hyperserver but more likely something to do with IB and the speed with which historical data is retrieved. Have you tried selecting just one of the stocks where data has not downloaded and seeing if the data can be downloaded when no other symbols are selected ?

Paul

ok, been on with HyperServer live support (very helpful people)

my problems (i think) were as follows;

1. what paul said in the above post

2. some symbols i had set up had the wrong exchange asign to them (d'oh, knobend,:whistling)

3. IB (acording to hyperserver) only give you 50 symbols now.

have to have a think about what to do here, as i wish to monitor way more than 50

glen

2. some symbols i had set up had the wrong exchange asign to them (d'oh, knobend,:whistling)

sorry to be a pain in the rectum, i've got rest sorted,

can anyone let me know what exchange these trade on

ta
glen

symbols.JPG

DLTR,QMAR,SONC,TTEC,UMPQ should be Nasdaq. I am not sure of the rest but suspect NYSE

Paul

ok, been on with HyperServer live support (very helpful people)

my problems (i think) were as follows;

1. what paul said in the above post

3. IB (acording to hyperserver) only give you 50 symbols now.

have to have a think about what to do here, as i wish to monitor way more than 50

glen

Glen

Sounds like you are having lots of fun! (not).

I was faced with a similar issue regarding the number of symbols. I took the view that, for monitoring the daily macci on a list of over 100 stocks, using IB is far from ideal because of the limit on the number of symbols for the data feed and the fact that if you tried to monitor this many stocks on a realtime basis then your cpu and stuff will be getting hammered.

So, I have purchased the Yahoo Daily History Plugin from Hyperserver. This works directly from Globalserver and is real easy to get end of day daily data for as many stocks as you want. It puts the data directly into Globalserver so when you open TS it just uses this data the same way as it uses the data from IB. You just continue to run the stocks you want to monitor real time in the same way. When you see a stock that is O/B or O/S on the daily then just switch it to 'realtime' and it will get the data from IB - easy!

I think this is something you might consider.

Cheers
Steve

jon,

To answer your second question , It would be great if you did sector analysis but I donot d0 it myself, I choose 4 different sectors and distribute the risk across, These are
Technology , financial, Pharmecutical, retail. We have had an excellent result by using just the above 4 and VEGAS's portfolio contains the same .

To answer the third question , We choose stocks from the weak list with low MACCI and hold them till they break down , It could be days to weeks either way we wont close them until they break down .

Some of the plays break down faster like FL which broke down yesterday with 18% return which we closed where some might take longer ,, The point is the weak list is carfully selected so that the break down of each stock eventually happens and the ODDS of trade going against you is not much ,,,

Did I answer yoru question ?

Grey1

Yes you did, I thank you.

Jonathan

Glen

Sounds like you are having lots of fun! (not).

I was faced with a similar issue regarding the number of symbols. I took the view that, for monitoring the daily macci on a list of over 100 stocks, using IB is far from ideal because of the limit on the number of symbols for the data feed and the fact that if you tried to monitor this many stocks on a realtime basis then your cpu and stuff will be getting hammered.

So, I have purchased the Yahoo Daily History Plugin from Hyperserver. This works directly from Globalserver and is real easy to get end of day daily data for as many stocks as you want. It puts the data directly into Globalserver so when you open TS it just uses this data the same way as it uses the data from IB. You just continue to run the stocks you want to monitor real time in the same way. When you see a stock that is O/B or O/S on the daily then just switch it to 'realtime' and it will get the data from IB - easy!

I think this is something you might consider.

Cheers
Steve

yes steve, this seems like something i could do with, how much does the plugin cost and whats the data like from Yahoo (i read somewhere that it wasn;t always correct?)

thanks
glen

yes steve, this seems like something i could do with, how much does the plugin cost and whats the data like from Yahoo (i read somewhere that it wasn;t always correct?)

thanks
glen

Hi Glen

The plugin was 99 euro as a one off lifetime license with support.

As for the data; I dunno in detail but it seems ok - don't forget we are only using this for end of daily data and its free! Can't see how it can cause much of a problem as we are only interested in o/b and o/s readings. If I see one that is in this state then I will get the detail from IB on a real time basis. But, this is only going to be a relatively small number of symbols.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Hi Glen

As for the data; I dunno in detail but it seems ok - don't forget we are only using this for end of daily data and its free! Can't see how it can cause much of a problem as we are only interested in o/b and o/s readings. If I see one that is in this state then I will get the detail from IB on a real time basis. But, this is only going to be a relatively small number of symbols.

Cheers
Steve

thanks steve,:)

i think i'll go down this route

glen

ABK down 33% TESCO also down since this post ,,

nice one again G1,

i would be interested in learning more about your fundamental analysis

i've studied finance in the past and have a reasonable understanding of Balance sheets P & L's etc

ta
glen

still having prob's with data this morning, i now seem to have an extra day bar on some charts for today 15th Jan, and the market hasn't even opened yet:(:(

will try and fix tonight
:(:mad:
glen

acording to my data,(which is not great at the min) these to trades got smashed tonight,

i'll call it -R2 (for these to trades)

glen

Attachments

• d'oh!.JPG
    d'oh!.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 15
happy days! happy days!
getting well geared up for this cycle stuff, nice new chart.

market;

View attachment 32350

weak list tonight (market up over 1% and MBI still taking a hammering!!!!!!!!!)

View attachment 32352

strong list tonight

View attachment 32351

Most stocks in the weak list are doing fantastically well ,,,

MBI Down again 33% ABK down 48%

I just closed the rest of MY MBI and all out .. Total gain around $ 21 $ run ,, YES 21$run ,,
MBI BLEW DOWN NOT BREAK DOWN as I said in my previous POSTS lol

I hope you guy shorted it with me

Grey1

Most stocks in the weak list are doing fantastically well ,,,

MBI Down again 33% ABK down 48%

I just closed the rest of MY MBI and all out .. Total gain around $ 21 $ run ,, YES 21$run ,,
MBI BLEW DOWN NOT BREAK DOWN as I said in my previous POSTS lol

I hope you guy shorted it with me

Grey1

Hi Iraj- your weak list works like magic-would love to know (if you can reveal) the steps you would take to make the list.

Cheers!

Raj

Hi Glen

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

I've e-mailed off to get set up of hyper,

just out of interest,

how many stocks do you run / monitor through this set up?

does it take along time to download data?

did you have to enter each symbol individually or can you set up, say, every symbol is NYSE and download the lot?

ta :)
glen

Hi Glen

I download daily data for all the stocks in Grey1's weak and strong lists.

To dowload the data then the symbol etc. simply needs to be in you symbol portfolio in Globalserver. You can select all stocks in your portfolio or select them as you may wish using 'shift' or 'ctrl' keys like you would in excel or whatever.

It just takes a few seconds per symbol to download.

I suppose you could download all NYSE stocks but as there are over two thousand of these it wouldn't be practicle. If you want to analyse that many stocks then I reckon you would be better of using a scanner.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Glen

I download daily data for all the stocks in Grey1's weak and strong lists.

To dowload the data then the symbol etc. simply needs to be in you symbol portfolio in Globalserver. You can select all stocks in your portfolio or select them as you may wish using 'shift' or 'ctrl' keys like you would in excel or whatever.

It just takes a few seconds per symbol to download.

I suppose you could download all NYSE stocks but as there are over two thousand of these it wouldn't be practicle. If you want to analyse that many stocks then I reckon you would be better of using a scanner.

Cheers
Steve

thanks steve for your answers:)