Belflan's US stock swing trades

Just got an email from Hypertrader support, apparently you have to use IE to download the file and not Firefox which is what I use.

Paul

Glen,

Can you post some screenshots of what you are seeing as I am not having this problem

Paul

Its not the charts Glen, but what you see in Hyperserver on the history tab that may help solve this.

Paul

Attachments

• history.JPG
    history.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 13
  • history2.JPG
    history2.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 10
SWING TRADERS of my weak list should be kicking ass to day with DOW falling 376 after market. Grey1 added short to his postions after a nice rally yesterday ,,, Awesome entry for those long term bears.

Grey1

SWING TRADERS of my weak list should be kicking ass to day with DOW falling 376 after market. Grey1 added short to his postions after a nice rally yesterday ,,, Awesome entry for those long term bears.
Grey1
Iraj,
I remember the call from the other day when you told Glen to stay short. v.Good Call!
Regards,
Imran

Grey1

Grey,

i think this is why others find your strats hard to get a handle on,

going by your basic swing rules i would be long now

but you seem to have made a decision on fundies to be short only now

just wanting to learn

glen

going by the rules at the start of this thread i would be long these three stocks at close tonight and close wed if target not hit (target = 3 ATR daily) (sl=1.5ATR) i'll call this a trade, post results wed

ok, data still not right on TS, charts attached from IB

would'nt have taken ALDA (orginal trade based on crap data)

would still be in MEE and ANR long,

but i'm even starting to doubt this data

d'oh d'ho :(:mad::(

Attachments

• longs1.JPG
    longs1.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 9
  • wasn;t long in the first place.JPG
    wasn;t long in the first place.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 6
Grey,

i think this is why others find your strats hard to get a handle on,

going by your basic swing rules i would be long now

but you seem to have made a decision on fundies to be short only now

just wanting to learn

glen
Not correct,, it is all about time frame ,,, I have been short after SANTA rally and remain to be short as some of my postions can run for weeks before breaking down ,,,

grey1

Not correct,, it is all about time frame ,,, I have been short after SANTA rally and remain to be short as some of my postions can run for weeks before breaking down ,,,

grey1

Most of you guys are TA Trader so lets give the criteria for technical swing
SHORT
1) if MACCI daily is 100 + on Friday
2) Day 1 stock is in negative lets say on Monday
3) At around 8UK time stock is near low of the day ( on Monday again )
4) Open a postion just before market close ( on Monday )
5) close postion on Wednesday

Pos size must come from daily ATR
Stoploss must come from daily ATR ( allow more than 1 ATR due to market volatility @ open )
Target must be 3 times more than stop loss or the third day which ever hits first

You can write a code to automate this on TS and it is not a difficult task .

Grey1

hi G1,

i mean this strat at the start of this thread,

i'm just trying to understand this better

glen

hi G1,

i mean this strat at the start of this thread,

i'm just trying to understand this better

glen
This is a 1- 3 days strategy . The term swing although sounds the same for few days and few weeks but the strategy itself is different ,
I give you an example

if i tell you AAPL is weak to day does it mean I am not going to go long AAPL ? of course not ,, it simply means APPL in the DAILY time frame is weak which means AAPL will lose value considering opening a position when market opens and close when market closes.

In another word weak and strong have little meaning unless one defines a time frame first ,, which means AAPL could be weak in 5 min time frame strong in 30 min time frame weak in 3 hours time frame and so on
SO why is it important to know the time frame ? ,, SIMPLE because you need to ADJUST your POS SIZE and hence your RISK ,,,

I have given a code which defines Weak and strong stock but people are not using it correctly . This code is extremely useful for those who use it correctly

SO to answer your above question , if you are trading based on strategy above you must open and close within few days where as if you use the SWING strategy to hold for more than 3 days( weeks ) then you are looking at choosing stocks from the weak portfolio till they break down .

Grey1

This is a 1- 3 days strategy . The term swing although sounds the same for few days and few weeks but the strategy itself is different ,
I give you an example

if i tell you AAPL is weak to day does it mean I am not going to go long AAPL ? of course not ,, it simply means APPL in the DAILY time frame is weak which means AAPL will lose value considering opening a position when market opens and close when market closes.

In another word weak and strong have little meaning unless one defines a time frame first ,, which means AAPL could be weak in 5 min time frame strong in 30 min time frame weak in 3 hours time frame and so on
SO why is it important to know the time frame ? ,, SIMPLE because you need to ADJUST your POS SIZE and hence your RISK ,,,

I have given a code which defines Weak and strong stock but people are not using it correctly . This code is extremely useful for those who use it correctly

SO to answer your above question , if you are trading based on strategy above you must open and close within few days where as if you use the SWING strategy to hold for more than 3 days( weeks ) then you are looking at choosing stocks from the weak portfolio till they break down .

Grey1

thanks for the post G1

your strats etc are making more sense day by day

will have a think about this

ta
glen

Glen,

I don't think this is hyperserver but more likely something to do with IB and the speed with which historical data is retrieved. Have you tried selecting just one of the stocks where data has not downloaded and seeing if the data can be downloaded when no other symbols are selected ?

Paul

Glen,

I don't think this is hyperserver but more likely something to do with IB and the speed with which historical data is retrieved. Have you tried selecting just one of the stocks where data has not downloaded and seeing if the data can be downloaded when no other symbols are selected ?

Paul

yes paul, and this does work better, but it still gives problems on some stocks

something just not right, could this be to do with the java

glen

Grey1,

First off - thanks for the updated list of stocks (y)

Secondly - how do you go about your sector analysis. From a technical aspect, do you use sector indices and apply the MACCI?

Thirdly - just so I understand, the OS sectors Banks/Housing/insures are for your long term plays where you sit out the short term advances, the moderate OS sectors are then used for the shorter 3 day type trades?

Thanks as always
Jonathan

jon,

To answer your second question , It would be great if you did sector analysis but I donot d0 it myself, I choose 4 different sectors and distribute the risk across, These are
Technology , financial, Pharmecutical, retail. We have had an excellent result by using just the above 4 and VEGAS's portfolio contains the same .

To answer the third question , We choose stocks from the weak list with low MACCI and hold them till they break down , It could be days to weeks either way we wont close them until they break down .

Some of the plays break down faster like FL which broke down yesterday with 18% return which we closed where some might take longer ,, The point is the weak list is carfully selected so that the break down of each stock eventually happens and the ODDS of trade going against you is not much ,,,

Did I answer yoru question ?

Grey1

jon,

To answer your second question , It would be great if you did sector analysis but I donot d0 it myself, I choose 4 different sectors and distribute the risk across, These are
Technology , financial, Pharmecutical, retail. We have had an excellent result by using just the above 4 and VEGAS's portfolio contains the same .

To answer the third question , We choose stocks from the weak list with low MACCI and hold them till they break down , It could be days to weeks either way we wont close them until they break down .

Some of the plays break down faster like FL which broke down yesterday with 18% return which we closed where some might take longer ,, The point is the weak list is carfully selected so that the break down of each stock eventually happens and the ODDS of trade going against you is not much ,,,

Did I answer yoru question ?

Grey1

so you don't have to wait for these to be O/B?

glen