Dow 2007

I think most of the trades that members post here are pretty much real time though...
time between my trade and post is usually <1min

cheers Firewalker, you know, I think I did catch one of your trades the other day so thanks for that .. problem is, you are trading the actual futures, I am trading through capital spreads .. and I don't trade the dow because of the spread (4 points) .. so I saw your trade and traded the dax .. but it worked out because the dax and the dow went off together. :p

well,we got my 13200ish....must admit though,wouldn't have given it a hope in hell half hour ago...bizzare...that shake out of weak bears earlier doesn't bode well for 2row...

I'm actually glad we made it to that level, without dax going much lower...
will be a very interesting am session tomorrow!

gnight everybody

cheers Firewalker, you know, I think I did catch one of your trades the other day so thanks for that .. problem is, you are trading the actual futures, I am trading through capital spreads .. and I don't trade the dow because of the spread (4 points) .. so I saw your trade and traded the dax .. but it worked out because the dax and the dow went off together. :p

glad to hear that, be careful though on that dax/dow correlation; I'd have to degree that they usually do to a certain extent, but if they don't you're into some trouble!

what a crafty last hour's trading that was....

Your dead right there Steve, I thought I was doing well taking 30 pips earlier. Had I stayed in, it would have been 98! I did say to the 'missus' that I could see this going back to 300, but finishing at 266!!!!!!!! Wow, some shake out.

Lurker, don't chase the trade, get an early night so you don't fall asleep!!!

Perhaps stay out Lurker, very wippy in there at the moment, you don't want to be caught on the wrong side going into the close.

Perhaps a suggestion for everybody to consider, I posted a review of my day, perhaps if we share our reviews, it may be to the good of us all, I dunno, what do you all think?

Here is my take from pretty much according the plan from yesterday.

I felt if we didn't have at least a 61% pull back and break out to the upside the fall will continue. We managed a 30% retrace. My only regret is I have been scalping down and didn't stay in the trade to maximise gain.

Will use same approach for tomorrow. If we don't pull back up to 13400 and hold that or break to the upside the slide down will continue. This is once again a 61% retrace back up. Will watch the start and take it from there.

There was also a malformed H&S too as shown in purple. Perhaps I should label it a Midget H&S :cheesy: This could well signal a full reversal in the DOW as it is at the top.

We could see a ABC correction too - although I'm not too familiar with EW I can see a 12345 pattern in the drop.

Attachments

• US30 Cash.png
    US30 Cash.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 156
Reflections and Plans

Mind

I have made mistakes with yesterdays trading. Today, I shall ensure I set sensible limit orders to exit a trade before I put the trade on. Furthermore, I shall write down a mental stop closer to the market than the hard stop of 30 points. I will not trade if I am frustrated, fearful of missing opportunities, or impatient. I shall take some exercise in the early afternoon, and half a good lunch. As my sleeping is poor I shall rest until late morning.

Market
We should refer to Atilla's recent chart, and long term trendlines. Some sort of bounce will probably be likely towards the beginning of the session. I shall wait until clear direction has been established in the first half hour before putting on a trade. Longer term, I'm waiting for a test of 400 for a short opportunity. Longs towards the end of the session in anticipation of a rally into the close (shorts covering before the weekend) may be in order provided there is sufficient evidence of a bottom forming.

Levels to watch - potential resistance at 350. I'm short on a test of that.
Support around 200 which could be very bearish if broken convincingly.

I'm not wanting to take longs until perhaps the end of the session under circumstances previously explained.

I'll look to short on pullbacks to the 100 minute EMA in a downtrend, and cover on RSI / Tick divergence. I'll be keeping an eye on Tick for entries and turning points also. In a solidly trending market, Tick will be of limited use, however I see a range bound market for tomorrow as there is some accumulation by longer term bulls.

Potential Issues
Tight range market with limited profit opportunity.
Risk taking due to missing out on the great moves of the week.
Attempts to "recover" my £30 loss from Thursday.
Letting losses run to 30 point stops.
Taking profits too soon.
Sleeping through the US session or being too tired to trade. (or sleeping through most of the session and making silly gambles into the close)
Suggested Solutions
Take only high probability trades near S/R levels / EMA pullbacks.
Make good use of volume.
Ignore the £30 loss yesterday, the £500 loss for the last month, the £1600 loss in total, the opportunity costs of spending thousands of hours studying the market, etc.
Tight mental stops, written down.
Limit orders set for profit taking with reasonable risk:reward.
Go back to bed, try to sleep, stop posting on T2W, reading Reminiscences of a Stock Operator, looking at charts, etc.​

Mind

I have made mistakes with yesterdays trading. Today, I shall ensure I set sensible limit orders to exit a trade before I put the trade on. Furthermore, I shall write down a mental stop closer to the market than the hard stop of 30 points. I will not trade if I am frustrated, fearful of missing opportunities, or impatient. I shall take some exercise in the early afternoon, and half a good lunch. As my sleeping is poor I shall rest until late morning.

Market
We should refer to Atilla's recent chart, and long term trendlines. Some sort of bounce will probably be likely towards the beginning of the session. I shall wait until clear direction has been established in the first half hour before putting on a trade. Longer term, I'm waiting for a test of 400 for a short opportunity. Longs towards the end of the session in anticipation of a rally into the close (shorts covering before the weekend) may be in order provided there is sufficient evidence of a bottom forming.

Levels to watch - potential resistance at 350. I'm short on a test of that.
Support around 200 which could be very bearish if broken convincingly.

I'm not wanting to take longs until perhaps the end of the session under circumstances previously explained.

I'll look to short on pullbacks to the 100 minute EMA in a downtrend, and cover on RSI / Tick divergence. I'll be keeping an eye on Tick for entries and turning points also. In a solidly trending market, Tick will be of limited use, however I see a range bound market for tomorrow as there is some accumulation by longer term bulls.

Potential Issues
Tight range market with limited profit opportunity.
Risk taking due to missing out on the great moves of the week.
Attempts to "recover" my £30 loss from Thursday.
Letting losses run to 30 point stops.
Taking profits too soon.
Sleeping through the US session or being too tired to trade. (or sleeping through most of the session and making silly gambles into the close)
Suggested Solutions
Take only high probability trades near S/R levels / EMA pullbacks.
Make good use of volume.
Ignore the £30 loss yesterday, the £500 loss for the last month, the £1600 loss in total, the opportunity costs of spending thousands of hours studying the market, etc.
Tight mental stops, written down.
Limit orders set for profit taking with reasonable risk:reward.
Go back to bed, try to sleep, stop posting on T2W, reading Reminiscences of a Stock Operator, looking at charts, etc.​

Reflecting on the charts again - at this 13300 level we at 23.6% retrace from last March's lows.

We have convincing broken the StdErr channel from last March.

We are also at a support line for the shorter SE channel since start of June.

If the DOW bounces of this first retrace level than it can well go all the way up to 13700 and beyond 14000. I'll believe anything after this.

If it fails then I really think we have a more downside. I think we need to see a decent 10% correction the one we didn't get in March.

I feel rudderless at the moment. Sails set, winds blowing all around and not a clue which way it's going to go. Will let my MAs be my compass.

Good luck everyone.

Attachments

• US30 Cash.png
    US30 Cash.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 128
no June, lowest price on my chart so far 7556.... 7550 pretty much in sight, but I would want serious confirmation before taking on a long here

this is the confirmation I was talking about yesterday,
I went long on that bounce

Attachments

• bounce-dax.jpg
    bounce-dax.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 152
anyone been watching these pre-market futures this morning.....could've picked off 50pts up and down 3 times.....volatile stuff....

cheers

anyone been watching these pre-market futures this morning.....could've picked off 50pts up and down 3 times.....volatile stuff....

cheers

I reckon we are going to get some good BoP figures and markets will pull back up.

My question is by how much? A weak 21-38% I'd guess with a max 50% towards 13450.

I'm still expecting a downward trend but don't have strong views one way or other.

cheers

I've not been watching it. I sometimes do, but I never trade it. Open in an hour. Will I make profit or blow my margin?

No doubt there will be some big moves today. I think tight stops and ambitious targets are in order. I miss my regular £5pp stake size...

I reckon we are going to get some good BoP figures and markets will pull back up.

My question is by how much? A weak 21-38% I'd guess with a max 50% towards 13450.

I'm still expecting a downward trend but don't have strong views one way or other.

Interesting. Still to run my pre market setup, so was unaware of the news. News...interesting. Might be able to pull the old 1,2,3 on this...dunno about doing it through TradIndex and their web platform though.

Afternoon one and all,

Atilla, agree with your comments, as you know, I ain't bothered either way, no attachments to Bull/Bear conditions, so long as I can read it right and get some points from it.

Traded the FTSE this am, flat at the moment and will be trading the early session until about 5.00pm and returning back about 7.30pm as my son has a cricket match, so hoping to bag a few either side. 10pts from each session would give me my daily total, would be happy with that.

I read a post earlier, cannot remember who from about instant messaging. I for one would not be interested, whilst like FW I do not mind posting my trades, which like FW is <1min after the trade, is not intended as trading advice, nor would I advocate anybody trading a certain way simply because I have.

I knew a guy some years ago, whos knowledge and insight into the DJIA was superb, he posted his views some months ahead, indicating a day when the market would move by a certain amount, and he was fantastic at it. However, some people traded his comments to the tick and complained when it didn't hit the number of pips he'd predicted, caused him to much hassle and made him ill.

FWIW, share ideas about your trading, but do not trade simply because somebody else has taken the trade, dyor etc..

Bit boring that wasn't it!!

Speak later

Lurker, no position for me, waiting for direction at the off and maybe jump on baord the impluse, but more inclined to wait for the correction.

i managed to nick a few points this morning.....now flat....$/yen pushing back up to top of it's range,so cautious on shorts....will look for break of range today 13320 up 13200 down...otherwise from what i've seen this morning you could get killed until the trend defines itself.....

cheers

Lurker, no position for me, waiting for direction at the off and maybe jump on baord the impluse, but more inclined to wait for the correction.

Waiting for the correction would appear to be the wise move for today certainly. The market won't show its hand right away, and I'm looking for either strong support or strong resistance to show within the first hour of trading. I'll consider a position after that. Looking to take 30 pips out of this if I can. All the best.

To reiterate, I will stop trading:

after my first loss after making 30 pips
after three consecutive losses
after losing £30
when the cash market closes
if I realise my psychology isn't suitable (the most subjective condition here...)​