Wallstreet1928 Analysis & live calls on FTSE,DAX,S&P...aimed to help New traders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done all. It seems most of us made some money today.
Good start for the week. Lets hope the success continues
(y)
Good luck for tomorrow

LMAO :LOL: If ever there was a good reason to place a trade, that was it! :) hehe Only joking -presume you were too :rolleyes:

I'm out of the ASY trade btw, for a measly +12.4 - stopped out on retrace - serious case of trade mismanagement - oh well, here to learn, n' all that.

edit: well done on all the trades today - you must have made a nice bit of pippage!

All I've done today is fart around with some charts.

If you haven't already , have alook at E$ and $CHF (one under the other would be best), notice anything ?

Please don't mind me saying this but this market isn't about luck ........

There is a fine line between trading and gambling .............

lets do an exercise in order to determine why your stop losses were hit

London lad, manya 1983, fast trader and others.........can you all explain why you went short?
My entry was based purely on 4700 being a strong resistance level historically. The RSI reading at the time was also above 70 indicating oversold and S&P was coming towards 1,000 which is a key psychological level.

As it turns out my stop was too tight but I hope Lapa has been doing well from it.

:)

All I've done today is fart around with some charts.

If you haven't already , have alook at E$ and $CHF (one under the other would be best), notice anything ?

Yeah, very nice inverted symmetry thing going on there - I presume that's what you're refering too?

yes my friend

too many people claiming to teach people how to trade...........but then traders are left out in the wilderness by themselves and don't know how to interpret and apply the skills.

I take time to post analysis and live trades as much as I can so that people can learn in real time

I don't profess to be an expert, just a rookie trying to help from the little knowledge I have acquired

Agreed WS. Its only of any quality if we put our analysis alongside it. Thread is descending into too many live calls at the momment which is probably making people take bad calls.

Will try post analysis as well from now.

Agreed WS. Its only of any quality if we put our analysis alongside it. Thread is descending into too many live calls at the momment which is probably making people take bad calls.

Will try post analysis as well from now.

Yes, i really don't want the room to fall into a cacophony of calls and bereft of analysis. That's why its quite nice being able to read WS's analysis out of market hours when the room is quiet!

I'm guilty of it too, so will try to remember to post my analysis (for what its worth!) also.

My entry was based purely on 4700 being a strong resistance level historically. The RSI reading at the time was also above 70 indicating oversold and S&P was coming towards 1,000 which is a key psychological level.

As it turns out my stop was too tight but I hope Lapa has been doing well from it.

Manya, I've noticed though you never actually wait for the level and jump in a tad early. I've seen you do it with forex too? Correct me if I'm wrong. With a number like that 4700I think you could be fairly confident if price got near enough to it, it would reach?

Likewise on the SP 1,000 - reaching that and the nov 08 high 4703 on ftse was enough reach for the day.

I posted my chart of analysis - all fine, but really only makes sense if you understand the rules of the setup, which are a bit beyond the scope of the thread I think. Do I get a Gold Star anyway? :cheesy:

Agreed that more analysis would be good. I'm happy to do that at the weekend if people want to read mindless drivel, i mean, urrgghhh, well constructed rationale :whistling

Manya, I've noticed though you never actually wait for the level and jump in a tad early. I've seen you do it with forex too? Correct me if I'm wrong. With a number like that 4700I think you could be fairly confident if price got near enough to it, it would reach?

Likewise on the SP 1,000 - reaching that and the nov 08 high 4703 on ftse was enough reach for the day.
Yep, I dont place set orders as I heard slippage is quite bad and once the price reaches close to a certain level I get itchy fingers and head in too early.

Yeah, very nice inverted symmetry thing going on there - I presume that's what you're refering too?

Yep , high correlation, although you see it other $ pairs over short periods (£ for example, well you would do if you think about it) , those 2 do seem to hold the relationship pretty tightly over larger time frames too.

Still potching so don't know how much will come it, if anything.:confused:

Nasdaq ............................market leader!!

black dotted line is the death line......................what I call death of this rally !!

classical example of resistance = support

1600 & 1630 two crucial levels

Attachments

• US Tech 100 Daily Future (Se (03-AUG-09).png
    US Tech 100 Daily Future (Se (03-AUG-09).png
    22.2 KB · Views: 134
i've just lost £450 in 2 days on E$. quite an achievement.

back to paper trading once again.

Sorry to hear that mate!

I really urge you to try a couple of PN's strategies for a few weeks, and try to just focus on implementing them as consistently as possible. He has traded them for years, so they're backtested. At least this way it saves you developing a strategy, whilst trying to learn to trade at the same time.

PN does answer questions on his forum too, so you will get some guidance.

Just a thought DB, as I know you want to be successful at this game.

Sorry, DB.

I tried it this afternoon as I am off work for a month. I made 3.2 points in 6 bloody hours!

I suggest that you are bushing yourself by staying on all day. I am going back to trading less hours. Trading the FT session and then SP is not on, but it will get to you if you are not careful!

Regards Split

I thought I would post a quick example of how I use the bias change when looking for fib pullback setups, and also to show why I don’t sell the break of point 4 – see bias diagram link in my sig.

In this H1 example, we see a bias change to the downside on the breach of point 4 – numbers in black – following this, the market creates a new low (orange no. 3). The market then retraces to just over 50% of the previous swing. Given the H1 trend is down, this is a where I look to sell. If not, somewhere around the 61.8% fib.

I mark up all the new swing highs and lows as they are created. Using the alternative bias count, I start a new count – orange numbers this time. Despite the retrace, the trend is still down, as the retrace doesn’t complete a new bias count to the long side.

Because price often retraces in this fashion (though it doesn’t actually change the trend to a new direction) I prefer to wait for the retrace, rather than sell the break of point 4.

How do I know to sell the 50% level? I wait for confirmation. Confirmation is this same pattern, but on a 2m TF. So, I would look for a 12345 short bias count to be confirmed, and then look to sell the retrace.

So, as long as the trend is down, then I just look to sell pullbacks at key fib levels of previous swings, all the while I count the swings to make sure the bias hasn’t reversed. Very boring I know, but it does seem to work.

I actually look at H3 for direction and setups – but the principle is the same for any TF. Have a look at a chart, and you should notice this is a continually repeating pattern. This is not my strategy btw, this is a PN strat. There's a bit more to it than this, but best to get in contact with PN if you need further info.

Now, if I can only learn to let positions run :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1hr_bias_change+fib.jpg
    1hr_bias_change+fib.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
An example on E$ today - measuring from the intermediate low of Friday, to the overnight high gives us the swing to measure. Price retraces to almost 50% of that swing in the morning. The 161.8% fib extension even gives a target, and the high of the day.

I shan't bother labeling the bias count, but it's important to note the retrace didn't change the trend, so it was a safe buy IMO.

Attachments

• eur_fib_h3.jpg
    eur_fib_h3.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 108
Sorry to hear that mate!

I really urge you to try a couple of PN's strategies for a few weeks, and try to just focus on implementing them as consistently as possible. He has traded them for years, so they're backtested. At least this way it saves you developing a strategy, whilst trying to learn to trade at the same time.

PN does answer questions on his forum too, so you will get some guidance.

Just a thought DB, as I know you want to be successful at this game.

@ DB - I almost posted a warning earlier when you started trading forex but didn't want to seem condescending. Forex will give you the impression of ease at the beginning, but take your money by stealth - and trading 1£ pp when you've just started is too much, imho. You will lose with forex as with everything else at the beginning so keep it small as possible.

But what Geo says above is true - PN's strategies are, I think, brilliant and simple. *If* you stick to all the criteria and follow the rules. I am having success with the am range breakout, which I think if you're a morning person is a good place to start.

It is great as a beginner for me to have the confidence of trading something that has been tried and tested, as Geo says.

Status
Not open for further replies.