Trading the US the Naz/Mr. Charts Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some might find my first trade today of interest.
SNDK was on my radar after its dive yesterday and I was anticipating a rapid early move.
Y'day the low was 60.63 and the close 60.80. The premarket low was 60.75. These, imo, are key levels. The latter was my anticipated short entry level.
The stock opened up and touched 61.39 before plummeting.
I was watching the Time and Sales and level 2, reading what was happening and as the price fell towards my entry level both those screens told me almost no-one wanted to buy this stock but sellers abounded. I got my short entry on an uptick at 60.74 at 14.33 and watched it hurtle south. It reached a low of 58.75 within only four minutes and then the buyers came in. Once I could see this was genuine buying on T&S and level 2 and the price was retracing, I exited as it hit 59, getting a fill at 59.02.
At all times the stock was extremely liquid with tight spreads.
This was a $1.72 move in four minutes based on some very basic TA, plus reading those screens. The trade was all about price action off key levels and not a single TA indicator was used.
What was also interesting later at 15.13 was that the price returned to that critical 60.75 level and bounced straight down off it. I didn't trade that later move.
These markets are sometimes proving difficult, but there are very often powerful and profitable trades to be had in the first few minutes. Sometimes the main moves of the day can be over very quickly, but equally you often get late moves after 7pm.
I don't think anyone should consider trading a move like the one I did on SNDK unless they have really learned what they are doing.
Anyone really interested can open a one minute candlestick chart for further clarification.
Hopefully some people might find this post useful in terms of the methods employed.

An excellent contribution .. A huge improvement in the manner you have explained your trade..
Keep up the good work .

And here is the graphics to go with it..... You can see from the vol on the left side there are no buyers...culminating in a "blow off bottom"- a good place to cover. Having the Ba*** to enter is the key. Managing the trade is simplicity- not for me , I'm afraid.... My trade, had I been a follower, would be the triangle break out that followed later, or going long off the blow off.... Note how the volume for both buyers and sellers diminishes towards the breakout- this is something I look for in ES as it often leads to a breakout , one way or the other. The trick is getting the direction right.....In this case, it's clear that the volume divergence was the key to the direction.
Looking at the day as a whole, it looked entirely feasible that one could have taken about 8$ in 6 or 7 moves intraday on this.Not that I know anything about trading US stocks intraday or any other day. You didn't need L2 to do this. Note vol. divergence confirming the D top at 60.75.

Attachments

• image1.gif
    image1.gif
    50 KB · Views: 646
Excellent post Chartman.

Perhaps a library of "Chart analysis in action" of selected examples could be stored for access by those new to trading and/or TA.

A good pair trade MSFT against COST .. Sorry about the delay in the post .. T2W would not load up ..

Attachments

• pair trade.jpg
    pair trade.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 439
For those of you wh are risk consious,

Market is strong DOW > 50..
COSt has approached its Lower VWAP ... MASFT approached its upper VWAP ..

Two scenario could happen :--

DOW might fall

In this case MSFT will fall faster against COST as Cost is already weak and well below its VWAP ...

Dow might rise further

In this case COST is well below its VWAP and well undervalued ..

This bit is for our momentum traders

Just watch how market momentum in COST is born while COST was approaching its Lower VWAP, while MSFT was exhausting its momentum even though it looked very bullish .. I am sure some of you will be following the MSFT trade all time stamped on the T2W BB to understand why I insist on momntum trading not to be a viable strategy any more..

Attachments

• pairtrade1.jpg
    pairtrade1.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 438
look at the MSFT retracing to our entry in the first chart while COST standing strong .. I wonder how many MSFT momentum traders were taken out by their stop in the last few minute..

Attachments

• pairtrade3.jpg
    pairtrade3.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 807
MSFT falling faster being a higher beta stock just before DOW went into congestion. COST resisting to go down ..

Attachments

• msft2.jpg
    msft2.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 792
ICOS short 41.44
within trend and reading the tape pointed to an imminent fall

Attachments

• icosshort161203gif.gif
    icosshort161203gif.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 822
ICOS covered 41.42 for
profit +2
direction correct, timing correct, but no follow through and tape reading(time and sales and level2 interpretation) indicated that

Attachments

• icoscovered161203.gif
    icoscovered161203.gif
    12 KB · Views: 773
SNDK short 57.19
within trend and reading the tape pointed to an imminent fall

Attachments

• sndkshort161203.gif
    sndkshort161203.gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 819
SNDK covered 56.66
for
profit + 53

Attachments

• sndkcovered161203.gif
    sndkcovered161203.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 789
SNDK short 55.74
within trend and reading the tape pointed to an imminent fall from the consolidation zone

Attachments

• sndktrade2short161203.gif
    sndktrade2short161203.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 769
SNDK covered 54.24
for a profit of + 150
exit on interpreting buy/sell pressures

Attachments

• sndktrade2covered161203.gif
    sndktrade2covered161203.gif
    11 KB · Views: 760
This is the chart of few stocks on my TS screen.. COST is apporaching its upper VWAP while MEDI is still trading at its lower VWAP .. other stocks such as CHKP, ERTS,KLAC,INTC are some where near the VWAP so I have no interest what so ever to trade them..

I will be taking this trade 1000 COST with a Ltd order @ 35.95 against 1345 MEDI @ trades 25.90.. with 13C stop for cost against 10 C for MEDI ..

My exit be based on 26C profit from both Trades ( Total gain )

THIS TRADE HAS NOT YET HAPPEND SO WATCH IT IN REAL TIME IF YOU WISH .. The position size has been adjusted to take care of full hedging process..

PS:-- blue line is the Upper VWAP while the yellow one be the lower VWAP .. The red is the VWAP

Attachments

• possible.jpg
    possible.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 785
This is a chsrt of MEDI against COST .. a perfect diversion from VWAP .. Does it really matter where market heads if you are hedged against adverse movement against you ?

Attachments

• medi.jpg
    medi.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 719
Status
Not open for further replies.