Trading the E-mini

Ok, been patient all afternoon, now looks the time to pounce.

Time is 7.26pm and sell order is in at 91.50 june, stop at 94 even target is 86 even.

Will just be 1 trade for me on this market.

I'm interested to know what made you get in WSW. I know it tagged the bottom end of the high but I could not see any time and price reason to get in so left it myself......

I might to say 'Well cut' in the rep but for some reason I typed 'E' and then hit return....

I'm interested to know what made you get in WSW. I know it tagged the bottom end of the high but I could not see any time and price reason to get in so left it myself......

To be honest, ES is not my core market (at the moment) as there are more opportunities elsewhere that suit my style. I like the volatility of oil currently and that is where my focus has been today, so just really keeping ES in the corner of my eye, to be able to participate in this thread.

There are definitely a lot of stubborn players involved in the ES (and the other index futures), but no one is confident to really push the button into the close of play, as we can see from the last few sessions. So the underlying confidence is not there, but there is a fear of missing out on a move which appears to keep buyers coming into the market at the open.

With regards to today; I just wanted to see if any serious players were about after lunch, which is evident that there was not, so once the push up after lunch had no follow through, and went range bound, I just put my order in, with the understanding that there was unlikely be anymore buying after this point.

It looks that my exit was a bit poor time wise, as I was looking at something else at the time, so it cost me a full point (4 ticks) extra I reckon from the profit. But you cant win them all, especially as it falls into the close:whistle:whistling

Plonker!

That's just the way it rolls some days really. Can't say I have been too hot the last couple of weeks myself. Seem to be off the boil a little and the lack of good opportunities is frustrating me somewhat.

That's just the way it rolls some days really. Can't say I have been too hot the last couple of weeks myself. Seem to be off the boil a little and the lack of good opportunities is frustrating me somewhat.

Agree that the opportunities on ES from a daytrading POV have not been stand-outs, so like you say, that's the way it rolls, so as long as we get a couple that hit the targets out of every, say 10 trades, we will be ok, then once this stubborn nature evacuates the arena, the set ups will once again be there to trade.

Another market that looks like it will become a mover over the next few weeks or so is Euro/Yen. So maybe wise to keep an eye on this, however we must take into consideration the spread, so will need to wait for the right opportunities, but they will come. Looks like a hot kettle in the making so it does.

May not be about the rest of the week, as I have to keep track of the other markets, so trade safe if doing so this week, remember there are lots of longs to be squeezed, so stay in the trade if you get a good entry(y)

EUR/JPY has been a great mover past few months with only a few short lulls. Other than that most currencies have nearly flatlined. I haven't traded ES in a while for just the reasons you both state. I look at it but can't find good opportunity and I'd rather not stare at it all day waiting to see if one pops up.

Peter

Short 2688 on FESX - looking for 2660 area as a target

e2a - this is on sim btw

Last edited:
30th April

Yesterday got up to within 3 ticks of the 1593 high, and globex has been up to 1590. Short term picture is that there is a major high in play. Long term picture is whether we manage to push up again or head back down to 1530.

Overnight inventory is mostly short but within yesterdays value, so looking to test that first. Ideal scenario would be a push down, test value and pop up through 93 and back down again.

Weekly Levels
Last Weeks Range - 1542.75 -> 1588.25
Last Weeks Value - 1557.75 -> 1588.00
R1 - 1595.50

Daily Levels
Yesterdays Range - 1572.75 (globex)/1579.50 (pit) -> 1592.25
Yesterdays Value - 1585.75 -> 1591.25
Overnight Range 1585.25 -> 1590
Settlement - 1588.25

Step in profile - 1585.50, Single Print - 1584

Obviously yesterday was slow and we could get more of the same off the open - but PMI at 9:44 or Consumer confidence at 10:00 could get it moving if we have a slow start.

Last edited:
Short 87, out 82.75

Quite pleased with today. Feels like the first day for a couple of weeks where I have been 'warm'.

Interestingly for me, I was watching FESX too and saw that it hit the NVPOC at 2862 and bounced at the same time ES was getting sticky.

Last edited:
EUR/JPY has been a great mover past few months with only a few short lulls. Other than that most currencies have nearly flatlined. I haven't traded ES in a while for just the reasons you both state. I look at it but can't find good opportunity and I'd rather not stare at it all day waiting to see if one pops up.

Peter

Peter,

If you like the EJ, What's wrong with the UJ? The spread I get on this cross is so tiny that spread to movement it costs less than the EJ and its ranging movement is near identical to the EJ (i.e. it is wavy rather than completely flat).

I trade both and have been filling my boots since Feb. UJ single size reversal strat and EJ more as an accumulator thanks to 40 pts moves being commonplace.

Looks set to continue until at least July... August lull to be expected either way... I am piling more and more size on each month. Here's to you Abe.

Short 86.25 @ 17:31

Stop moved to 88 now.

BTW - is it me or is watching volume on the lower TF's giving good clues away on what is going on in addition to dom/t&s and PA?