Trading NASDAQ stocks with Jerry Olson & Ian Hodgson

Jerry Olson said:
the markets are very bullish...we have to see what the FED does and then the reaction to that statement..

if they move to "neutral" i would expect a large rally..........................all the way to Mid June...

some sell the news in-between of course.......................... :rolleyes:

By neutral you mean lack of the wording ..some further policy firming may be needed..?

leovirgo said:
By neutral you mean lack of the wording ..some further policy firming may be needed..?

Hi Leo

they will always use "possible firming if needed" in the body of the text.

But if they actually use "neutral" then that signals they are done raising rates right now.

That is a different "move" from the current language...

Trader333 said:
Close against volume over the likely timescale of your trade may help.

Paul
Paul,

Thanks. Problem is I don't understand the suggestion - perhaps it's my age!

Would you be kind enough to explain?

LII

Up $417 . I wont be trading any more until the results are out . I come back to trade in 2 hours .

Attachments

• wednesdatrades.jpg
    wednesdatrades.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 155
  • wednesday.jpg
    wednesday.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 187
Jerry Olson said:
Hi LII

If you are using end of day prices for entires/exits i am assuming you're trading mutual funds, or ETF's. Might i suggest taking a look at Point & Figure Charting as an excellent way to swing trade these vehicles on a consistant basis.

hope this helps
Thanks Jerry,

In the main I trade US Stocks in my (UK) pension scheme using CFDs for leverage. Initially I select 2 sets of stocks on the basis of fundamentals - one set with good fundamental prospects of rising (take long trades only), the other with good prospects of falling (take short trades only). I then look in those sets for technical buy or sell signals. Size the position based on risk / volatility and voila!

I do OK but am always looking for ways to refine entries, stops and exits. I try not to enter trades against my perception of the main trend in the security I am considering and that is where I find TRIN useful in my limited excursions into intra day trading. Finding a similar measure to indicate longer timeframe pressure would be a great help.

Where would I find the Arms index on the web?

I've tried P&F on & off for years (without much success) using an excellent little program called PFScan (no longer on the market). I'll have another look at it. Any suggestions on using / interpreting P&F? - Thanks for the tip.

LII

LevII said:
Thanks Jerry,

In the main I trade US Stocks in my (UK) pension scheme using CFDs for leverage. Initially I select 2 sets of stocks on the basis of fundamentals - one set with good fundamental prospects of rising (take long trades only), the other with good prospects of falling (take short trades only). I then look in those sets for technical buy or sell signals. Size the position based on risk / volatility and voila!

I do OK but am always looking for ways to refine entries, stops and exits. I try not to enter trades against my perception of the main trend in the security I am considering and that is where I find TRIN useful in my limited excursions into intra day trading. Finding a similar measure to indicate longer timeframe pressure would be a great help.

Where would I find the Arms index on the web?

I've tried P&F on & off for years (without much success) using an excellent little program called PFScan (no longer on the market). I'll have another look at it. Any suggestions on using / interpreting P&F? - Thanks for the tip.

LII

You can google Arms Index

as for learning P&F if you go to that site take the free trial and go to the online P&F University it will help you understand quicker that way.

up $850 . Total trade time around 1 hour. Most wins on AAPL . Can you see how Multiplie time frame signals on all time frames signals a high probability trade. Now at the same time look at the Momentum exhaustion on the MACCI on APPL . From this point on ward the risk of staying in the trade does not justify to have a position . SO i am out and all in cash ..

Now , my point in here is this ,, there is nothing in my trading strategy left to myself, I don't use ART , I don't trust emotions or even think of going against my system. It operates 90% mechanical. Profitable alogorithms must have Risk management in the core of their engine other wise , you are a long run toast.

Attachments

• screen1.jpg
    screen1.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 238
  • signals.jpg
    signals.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 252
Jerry Olson said:
Grey sounds good to me, i'll do a lot of ,market direction information using my techniques..

so far i am less then 10 points off my DJIA call weeks ago.................. :LOL:

CSCO killed it woo hooski

Jerry ,
your market direction calls are simply awesome . Light years ahead of me you are

It be great if you outlined your technique for our newbies..

thanks

Grey1

Grey1 said:
Jerry ,
your market direction calls are simply awesome . Light years ahead of me you are

It be great if you outlined your technique for our newbies..

thanks

Grey1

Grey 1

Today it went slightly above my targets...................................... :cheesy:

Let me tell you i think a lot of traders are missing out on your way of trading for a living..

very nice job my UK buddy...

we will all be in the room at 2:15 est US waiting for a very important event to say the least

let's see what Ben and Co. has in sotre for us traders

be ready for anything...

Peix Quick Trade Usijg 500 Shares

Just did a quick scalp on PEIX...

http://www.buyitbuyitsellitsellit.com/OJ1.gif

you do not have to trade 1000-3000 shares to make a living in the markets.

Trade what you are comfortable with as long as you become a mechanical trader pushing buttons.

I have my workspace for Esignal fo yuo to share and the fantastic Laser Layout of Ian's to help you make it happen

My class starts May 20th for anyone thats interested just send me an e-mail on my profile

and we'll help you get it together once and for all.

There is a banner circulating at the top of the hiome page as we speak., Double Click on it for all the information...

I'll have a new serious Knowledge Lab feature article next week as well.

Grey1 said:
Now , my point in here is this ,, there is nothing in my trading strategy left to myself, I don't use ART , I don't trust emotions or even think of going against my system. It operates 90% mechanical..
This is a really good point - to ask you something :LOL:

Is the 10% non-mechanical (discretionary) part of your method ALWAYS the same 10%? And if so, is that to do with market dynamics or with other (intuitive/psychological) factors?

TheBramble said:
This is a really good point - to ask you something :LOL:

Is the 10% non-mechanical (discretionary) part of your method ALWAYS the same 10%? And if so, is that to do with market dynamics or with other (intuitive/psychological) factors?

Bramble my logical man

The 10 % is the execution strategy which is not automated but we are going through doing that at this moment. Hope fully I be 100 % soon .

FInally this the final win No more trade for me . up $1627

Grey1

Attachments

• wed.jpg
    wed.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 230
just realised i forgot to post the trades here we go

Attachments

• oh.jpg
    oh.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 204
Grey1 said:
The 10 % is the execution strategy which is not automated but we are going through doing that at this moment. Hope fully I be 100 % soon .
That's interesting. I would have figured the execution would be one of the first (not necessarily the easiest) areas to be systemized. Is the execution linked with LII levels, depth and spoofs? If it is, good luck with codifying it - it has defied all my efforts.

Grey1 said:
FInally this the final win No more trade for me . up $1627
Well, it'll cover the starters. Let me get the mains....

Grey1,

I have a question if you dont mind to do with exiting at exhaustion points. You have previously posted screenshots where, (through your automtaed system on Prosuite), you have signals that say something like "EXIT SHORT". Today you posted a trade of AAPL where you showed the MACCI to then have gone to oversold but on this occasion no signal that told you to exit your short.

I was wondering if this was to do with the multiple timeframes that you use ?
Also what was the pink "SELL" signal ?

Paul

Trader333 said:
Grey1,

I have a question if you dont mind to do with exiting at exhaustion points. You have previously posted screenshots where, (through your automtaed system on Prosuite), you have signals that say something like "EXIT SHORT". Today you posted a trade of AAPL where you showed the MACCI to then have gone to oversold but on this occasion no signal that told you to exit your short.

I was wondering if this was to do with the multiple timeframes that you use ?
Also what was the pink "SELL" signal ?

Paul

Paul ,

By the time I tired to capture the screen shot the MACCI of 1 min had moves from 100 to 90 ish and hence the signal disapeared. some times it stays longer depending on the volatiliy of the stock .

Quote " Also what was the pink "SELL" signal ?"

All program trades including those of the banks trigger BUY or SELL signal on the first bar and then system changes into LONG or SHORT .

Am I clear ?

Grey1

Grey1 said:
Paul ,

By the time I tired to capture the screen shot the MACCI of 1 min had moves from 100 to 90 ish and hence the signal disapeared. some times it stays longer depending on the volatiliy of the stock .

Quote " Also what was the pink "SELL" signal ?"

All program trades including those of the banks trigger BUY or SELL signal on the first bar and then system changes into LONG or SHORT .

Am I clear ?

Grey1

Yes very clear Thank you

Paul

lwebb said:
Is MACCI just a smoothed CCI. If so, what's the MA period?

MACCI is a 3 period SMA of the CCI which is then put through an exp MA with smoothing 0.4. i.e Auto regressed @ 40%, available to all real tick users.

smbtnt said:
MACCI is a 3 period SMA of the CCI which is then put through an exp MA with smoothing 0.4. i.e Auto regressed @ 40%, available to all real tick users.

Thanks for that. I don't follow the 0.4 smoothing for the EMA. Is that a period of 0.4 !? Is there code for TradeStation available by any chance.