TheBramble's Short-Term Spot FX Biases

USDJPY live trade current stop at 79.60. Potential Resistance at 79.50 (Friday’s Low, Today’s S1 and one of my super-secret (but don’t order yet) Fib levels.) If it eats through that lot I will cancel the trade and minimise losses.

Why not move the stop now? Because it’s well shielded by those 50 levels and I want to see how the price acts if it gets there.

It's also at its current level coming off the centre of a regression channel and price appears to be losing interest (note doji on prior and current m15 bars).

I appreciate USDJPY's post Frankfurt open range of 11 pips may be a little heady for some of our younger viewers, but don't worry - it's not always this frantic....

More than 50% of my risk taken, but I'm not disposed to dumping USDJPY just yet. USD is about 50% stronger than JPY at the current time, but has only managed to shift it up half a Day’s range.

Both USD and JPY taken independently are pretty week with JPY (just) having the edge. It’s still showing potential for a valid short entry setup, but my guess is that if taken it could be a little lacklustre. Still, with nothing much likely to happen in the US and JPY being held artificially low there is possibly something to play for.

May be a long drawn out affair if we take it, but we’re not juggling too much else at the moment!
08:10 London - this morning...

USD still has the edge on JPY, but it's failing (so far) to push it through that 50 level.

USDJPY – Stop still at initial level of 79.60. Currently finding Resistance at 79.50. Entered at 39.37, so currently 50% of risk utilised. I have no technical basis to exit the trade (boredom and lack of movement don’t count).

There is a slodge of JPY data coming out at half past midnight (London) which is job and retails sales related. It all looks pretty bleak. Maybe the data that will be released as per expectations, but similar to the ‘degraded’ data released late last week, and the resultant continuation of downward pressure on this pair, JPY is being artificially manipulated (soft intervention) to cause weakness.

So, my position is that I don’t think the data is likely to be worse than expectation as it is the expectation that was intended to do the job of weakening the Yen, not the actual data release event. On that basis, my expectations are that it is more likely JPY will strengthen and therefore start to drive down USDJPY.

I’m not putting in any order to take profits at target levels as I can back at my desk after midnight to monitor the situation live and make a decision of further action, if any, at that time.

USDJPY - let's see how this one pans out. I won't have time to do this goling forward so this will most likely be the last detailed trade I'll do here and while it would be great to go out on a winner, the probabilities aren't stacking in my favour.

But it is a perfect reflection of the reality of trading.

edit: ...and an insight into the psychology of winners & losers

Last edited:
Target 78.63. Or it hits its stop.

Whichever comes first.

If it hits the stop it'll be a straight 100% nominal risk which is a real 2% loss.

If it hits target, it'll be a nominal 321% Risk which equates to a real profit of 6.42% - one trade.

We're done.

Hasta la Pasta.

JPY data was worse than even expected, mostly. Well, you either get it right or you get it wrong. As long as overall you’re righter than you’re wronger, it’ll pay off.

Short term FX Bias – using m15 TF

AUD Long
EUR Short
GBPCHF Long
GBPJPY & GBPUSD Short
USDCAD Short
USDCHF Long
USDJPY Short

Independent Single Currency Rankings (STRONGEST TO WEAKEST)
AUD
CAD
NZD (I don’t trade NZD pairs)
USD
GBP
JPY
EUR
CHF

As at 07:23 London

Reactions: NVP
on 15m TF theres screaming sells on USD, YEN and now CAD at the moment B

Looking specifically now at EURCAD, EURJPY & EURUSD all making decent pullbacks against the underlying Bear short-term trend.

Also looking at USDCHF making a pullback against the underlying Bull short term trend, but less impressed with the action thus far.

NVP - you'll have to let me know how your trades worked out as I'm always willing to be eductaed.