S&P 500 cash weekly competition for 2014 with PRIZES!

Attachments

• einstein.jpg
    einstein.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 133
Well done to Postman who was a mere 0.03 ticks away from forecasting the close on Friday. :eek: unbelievable :eek: (y)

I don't recall anyone, ever being this close before. So it is a new statistical record. :idea:

Postman also gets his third gold in one quarter but we've had these before. However, getting fourth gold would be a another first :idea:

This weeks podium winners are; Postman, 12WBT and Gaffs. Well done (y)

.....................................................................Postman
....................12WBT..............................................................................................Gaffs
three-great-scientists-maugdo-vasquez.jpg

League table here...

Milton Keynes was born.
Bloody roundabouts.
1967 please.

PS
Wanted Jack Russell to get the Postman.:LOL:

Attachments

• SP.jpg
    SP.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 128
LONDON, Sept 12 (Reuters) - Scots may find it harder to get mortgages and other loans if they vote to separate from the United Kingdom next week, with banks likely to cut lending while they assess currency and other economic risks, bank industry sources said.

The sources, who asked not to be named due to the sensitivity of the matter, said it was impossible to say how long any pause or reduction in lending might last, but it could be lengthy if the currency question was not quickly clarified.

"If someone wanted to get a mortgage soon after a 'yes' vote there may be a need to pause and say we need greater clarity on currency, and I think that's true of everybody," said one of the sources at a major bank.

Scots are due to vote on independence on Sept. 18. If they vote 'yes', Scotland and the rest of the United Kingdom would have 18 months to work on resolving outstanding economic issues, such as what currency Scotland would use.
The Scottish National Party (SNP), which is leading the independence campaign, has said it would like to continue using the pound in a currency union with the rest of the United Kingdom, but London has said it would not agree to this.

That could mean an independent Scotland using the pound without the consent of London, and thereby having no influence over the currency and interest rates; setting up its own currency; or trying to join the euro.

The sources said the uncertainty could make banks reluctant to commit to long-term loans such as mortgages.

"There clearly are massive uncertainties. When you have anything major like this happening, the natural consequence is to step back and have a think about plans," said Ray Boulger, senior technical manager at mortgage broker John Charcol.

"I suspect that you would see some lenders restricting their criteria one way or another."

RISKS

Jayne-Anne Gadhia, the chief executive of Virgin Money, said it had looked at the impact of the referendum and there was a lot of uncertainty about how it could affect business.
"I don't know what will happen to Scottish customers' mortgage and credit card rates because I don't know what will happen to the currency," she told Reuters.

"This will be one of the very many issues that are going to have to be resolved should there be a 'yes' vote and, at the moment, I think it is completely unresolved because of the currency position."

The latest polls show a slim majority of voters in favour of keeping Scotland in the United Kingdom.

Scotland's major banks this week said they would move their headquarters to England in the event of a vote for independence.

The SNP has accused the 'no' campaign of scaremongering, and believes London might change its position on a currency union in the wake of an independence vote.

The bank sources said that if an independent Scotland opted for a new currency, there was a risk it might fall in value.

Risks from a change in currency could require new clauses to be inserted into loan agreements, they said.

Hungary's banks have been hit hard since the 2008 financial crisis by a devaluation of its currency, after borrowers had taken out mortgages in Swiss francs and subsequently struggled to repay in the stronger currency.

One option for banks in Scotland could be to ask for greater minimum deposits for mortgages to reflect greater risk, one banker said.

Uncertainty about Scotland's economic outlook in the event of independence could add to banks' reluctance to lend.

"It's understandable banks will step back given the uncertainties," one analyst said. (Editing by Mark Potter)

I'd like to change mine to 1967 please
sorry thats the same as WBT, then 1965 instead

Hi Guys,

League tables updated bulls to bears. Only two weeks forecasts left remaining and Lexcorp in the lead with 19 points. However, with the following pack of three taking an opposite view next week could well see ties on the score board - MEANING, last week September forecast will be the decider.

Any of the top four names could take the win and the $150 Amazon vouchers. (Excludes Weighted Average from the $150 - which will be carried to year end)

Pts Plyd Name
19 12 lexcorp
18 12 Postman
17 12 malaguti
16 12 WAvg
11 12 Gaffs1964
10 12 Average
10 11 samspade79
8 12 Pat494
6 3 VielGeld
5 11 Atilla
4 4 12WBT
2 4 wackypete2
2 6 TwinToWin
1 1 emoun

Wishing you all prosperous trading and best of everything :)

Well done to Samspade who takes top place on the podium and second gold this quarter. Followed by Gaffs and Lexcorp. :clap::clap::clap:

...............................................................Samspade
..............................Gaffs.............................................................Lexcorp

james-doran-webb-32.jpg

Lexcorp is now in first place on the SPX500 QTR-3 leader board.

Closely followed by Postman and Malaguti. (y)(y)

Unbelievably, weighted average has been shoved to 4th place. It is now out of contention for top spot and the prize. It's going to be a cracking end to September between the top three players & the $150 Amazon voucher.

Click to view League Table.

Cambridge Utd setting a league record for most games without a win, 31 at the time.
Derby passed the record in 2008, 38 games

1984 please

1957 - Sputnik 1 was the first artificial Earth satellite. It was a 58 cm (23 in) diameter polished metal sphere, with four external radio antennas to broadcast radio pulses. The Soviet Union launched it into an elliptical low Earth orbit on 4 October 1957. It was visible all around the Earth and its radio pulses were detectable. The surprise success precipitated the American Sputnik crisis and triggered the Space Race, a part of the larger Cold War. The launch ushered in new political, military, technological, and scientific developments.

And here we are today :)

The SPX500 - QTR-3 competition comes down to the last 13th forecast in week 41 of the year.

Lexcorp leads with 21 points and only needs one point to win outright or share the win.

Postman has 18 points and needs to score full 4 points to win outright and assumes Lexcorp gets nil puan.

Malaguti can also draw if he gets full 4 points assuming Postman and Lexcorp don't.

The market pull-back hasn't materialised in September. May still well do in October. Money is still flowing into equities and gold continues to display risk-off indicator. Oil is also falling. China displays some serious parallels to pre-crash scenario. Has embarked on some bank lending of its own. The serious nature of this lending and some may well be hidden from the market so as to maintain confidence and achieve a controlled slow down. Personally, I am still biased to the down side and fear the dot-com boom period is with us in magnified proportions.

I find it difficult to appreciate that a subscription list like the one Twitter has can be valued at $32bn and this loss making company can borrow another $1.6bn to become profitable.

I find it difficult to appreciate that the value of this company can rise because it now has working capital and can continue for another 2-3 years losing money.

There are FaceBook equivalents popping up like mushrooms. What's Up may have been bought out for $13bn but SnapChat is another pop-up that's gaining popullarity in the teenage group tomorrows adults.

AliBaba is perhaps worth the price but can the Chinese be trusted? I'm not too hot on these ADR arrangements either. Any significant developments in the South China seas can see some dramatic changes in laws and valuations.

The higher this market goes the more opportunities arise for skewed valuations which will ultimately be judged with profits or lack of...

Alibaba I think is probably worth something as they sell goods and services.

I can't imagine what Twitter or FaceBook are worth as they are given away free.

Call me old fashioned if one must but from my traditional perspective, some people are aving a laf or wot???? :whistling

Wishing you all prosperous trading. (y)