S&P 500 cash weekly competition for 2013

. . . why not do all your usual preparations and DO the OPPOSITE ? Sounds daft I know but you all would be 100% correct now at the top rather than languishing a bit.
Pat - in a nutshell, that IS my methodology - and look where it's got me!
:LOL:

Pat - in a nutshell, that IS my methodology - and look where it's got me!
:LOL:

Do you mean you do all the analysing, then do the opposite and get it wrong ?

In which case stick with the analysing answer I guess.

Genuflecting before trading to the BOE and then the Fed seems to help ?

( crawling hardly ever fails imho )

:)

Do you mean you do all the analysing, then do the opposite and get it wrong ?

In which case stick with the analysing answer I guess.

Genuflecting before trading to the BOE and then the Fed seems to help ?

( crawling hardly ever fails imho )

:)

This is all very confusing :rolleyes: :whistling :eek: :eek:

How do I know the right answer without getting it wrong first:?::?::?: :cheesy:

Have I missed

Vicorka
Mr.Crabs

calls or have they gone AWOL from doing their call of duty :rolleyes:

Ok will post results and averages without their calls - unless I'm in the wrong in which case will rectify calcs.

Last edited:
Good luck to you all guys...

Attachments

• SP-13-02-22a.JPG
    SP-13-02-22a.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 137
Have I missed

Vicorka
Mr.Crabs

calls or have they gone AWOL from doing their call of duty :rolleyes:

Ok will post results and averages without their calls - unless I'm in the wrong in which case will rectify calcs.

My computer was out of commission until today, great open today that's a strong bullish signal for the week.

My computer was out of commission until today, great open today that's a strong bullish signal for the week.

Happy to take your call Mr Crabs., unless there is a majority vote against by participants :whistling

Feel you are handicapped anyhow with no of weeks played.

Have a go... (y)

And we finally have the first down week in this bull run. 'twas only time 'til the bears got something for their trouble.

Happy to take your call Mr Crabs., unless there is a majority vote against by participants :whistling

Feel you are handicapped anyhow with no of weeks played.

Have a go... (y)

No sweat I haven't been doing this for the points anyway, happy friday :clap: .

My prediction for this week's 1,525 again.

1,525 this week.

I figure the market's gotta keep performing up to snuff with all the bulls addicted to all the gains we've seen this quarter. Now is the home stretch, time for the S&P to hold up strength and suppress volatility to bolster confidence so we can break 1,600 before the next correction which I'm still expecting this year. Hopefully it's swift, deep and focusing primarily on Wall Streets' financial sector. Just a quick equity recall so we're consolidated and ready to break the S&P through or near 2,000 before Obama leaves office. With the big money holding all these profits from the 2008 bottom the economy and stock market most notably will become sluggish without a correction and I assume big money would not allow that to happen. Of course this is all wild speculation because every term holds something different in store for us but I'm hoping I have this one nailed, the economy hasn't cleared completely out of this recession rut yet and propping up the markets at excessively high prices could prove devastating for the western economies in the long term. I'm thinking volatility starts to crank up after we break past 1,600. :clover:

Well done to the bears this week. (y)

Good things come to those who wait. :clap:

However, despite Wall Street losing it's nerve over the long stellar run the fall has been low key to say the least. A mere -4 ticks from last week.

This weeks podium awards go to;

Gold - Mean Average -
Silver - Joint places to mike. and malaguti, M&Ms mmmm ;)
Bronze - Atilla, the old dog :D

I think next week will be tough and glad to see Mr Crabs over coming his withdrawal symptoms with a very rapido call :)

Finally, Samspade's late change in direction must surely be very painful indeed. Markets can get very personal as I know first hand. It's all rigged I tell you. :cry:

There is a positive, however, in all things and I think you should feel good about your self, helping WackyPete get off the floor... :cheesy:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnFF2Rblu36wdGRNQjNXTzVjdldJb2dXdjRVTGs5VVE#gid=5

Attachments

• SP-20130222-b.JPG
    SP-20130222-b.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 143
The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index capped its first weekly decline of the year, after reaching the highest level since October 2007, amid increasing concern the Federal Reserve will curtail its stimulus program.

Equities rebounded on the last day of the week as German business confidence rose more than estimated. Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. and U.S. Steel Corp. sank at least 7.3 percent to pace declines in raw-material companies. Abercrombie & Fitch Co. tumbled 8 percent as it forecast a first-quarter loss. Hewlett-Packard Co. (HPQ), the largest personal-computer maker, surged 14 percent after forecasting profit that beat estimates.

The S&P 500 slid 0.3 percent for the holiday-shortened week to 1,515.60. The index snapped a seven-week advance, the longest stretch since January 2011. The Dow Jones Industrial Average advanced 18.81 points, or 0.1 percent, to 14,000.57.

“When things seem to go in straight lines, it makes me wonder how long the good times can keep rolling,” said Brian Jacobsen, who helps oversee about $217 billion as chief portfolio strategist at Wells Fargo Advantage (EAD) Funds, in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin. “The Fed didn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know, but sometimes it doesn’t take a lot to push prices around.”

Equities fell as several policy makers said the central bank should be ready to vary the pace of their $85 billion in monthly bond purchases, according to minutes of the Fed’s latest meeting. Concern about the debate over the risks and benefits of further quantitative easing helped give the S&P 500 its biggest two-day decline since November during the week.

Spending Cuts

Next week’s March 1 deadline to avoid automatic U.S. spending cuts may get investors’ attention. It marks another fiscal showdown between President Barack Obama and congressional Republicans. If Congress doesn’t act, federal spending will be reduced by $85 billion in the final seven months of this fiscal year and by $1.2 trillion over the next nine years.

The S&P 500 has gained 6.3 percent this year as U.S. lawmakers agreed on a compromise on taxes in January and amid better-than-estimated corporate earnings. About 73 percent of the S&P 500 companies that have released quarterly results beat profit estimates, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The index trades at 14.97 times reported earnings, below the average since 1954 (SPX) of 16.4.

“The support for the market remains,” John Carey, fund manager with Boston-based Pioneer Investment Management, said in a telephone interview. His firm oversees $200 billion. “There’s been a fairly good stream of earnings. There’s certainly nothing to scare anyone.”

Biggest Losses

Measures of commodity and consumer discretionary companies had the biggest losses in the S&P 500 among 10 industries in the week, slumping at least 1.4 percent. The Morgan Stanley Cyclical Index of companies most-tied to economic growth retreated 1.7 percent, the most since November.

The Chicago Board Options Exchange Volatility Index, which measures the cost of using options as insurance against declines in the S&P 500, surged 14 percent to 14.17. The gauge, which had the biggest weekly advance this year, rose after sliding to the lowest level since April 2007 on Feb. 19.

Abercrombie (ANF) tumbled 8 percent, the most since August, to $46.86. The retailer said it anticipates a “slight” loss in earnings per share in the first quarter, citing a tough economy and difficulty tied to cold-weather inventory.

‘Very Concerned’

The company is “very concerned around the macroeconomic situation coming into the first quarter,” Chief Executive Officer Michael Jeffries said. Abercrombie will “see a resumption of healthier sales” in the second quarter, he said.

Apple Inc. (AAPL) declined 2 percent to $450.81. Foxconn Technology Group, the maker of products including the iPhone, froze hiring across China, fueling concern that the move reflects diminished demand for consumer electronics. Bruce Liu, a spokesman for Taipei-based Foxconn, said the company halted recruitment until the end of March after more workers returned from the Lunar New Year break than a year earlier.

Apple has retreated 36 percent from a record high in September, compared with a 3.7 percent gain for the S&P 500.

A measure of homebuilders in S&P indexes slumped 6 percent, the biggest decline since September. Toll Brothers Inc., the largest U.S. luxury-home builder, tumbled 6.7 percent to $34.59 after reporting fiscal first-quarter earnings that trailed analyst estimates and projecting narrower margins.

Garmin Ltd. (GRMN) sank 11 percent to $35. The biggest maker of navigation devices forecast 2013 sales and profit that missed estimates as consumers switch to smartphones for maps and directions.

Missing Estimates

VeriFone Systems Inc. plunged 42 percent, the most since November 2008, to $18.92. The maker of credit-card terminals forecast second-quarter profit that missed analysts’ estimates amid weak economic conditions in Europe.

Hewlett-Packard added 14 percent, the most since March 2009, to $19.20. The company is using job cuts to bolster profit as demand for printers and personal computers slumps and companies curtail purchases of higher-margin hardware and software. Chief Executive Officer Meg Whitman said she feels “pretty good” about fiscal 2013 and reaffirmed a prediction that the company will resume growth next year, evidence of progress on a five-year turnaround plan even as competitive pressures linger.

Google Inc. (GOOG) rose 0.9 percent to $799.71. The operator of the world’s largest Web-search engine surpassed $800 for the first time as mobile computing bolsters growth.