S&P 500 cash weekly competition for 2013

Hi guys,

Well who could have guessed??? :eek:

Here are the results...

Gold goes to - Atilla - About time :whistling
Silver goes to - Pat - Deservedly so (y)
Bronze goes to - WAvg - Joint third is good for an android :clap:

We are approximately half way through the first quarter and a clear lead has opened up between Gaffs and Timsk. It's all about coming first and not last...

What do the three amigos know - that we don't??? :cheesy:

Gripping suspense wrapped in overwhelming tension... Way to go guys (y)

Attachments

• SP-20130215-b.JPG
    SP-20130215-b.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 209
Congrats to the winners.

Looking at 2012, the post-holiday bull run didn't start flagging until March, and did not finally capitulate until May. We may see something similar here as well, so I think I'll be going long until May.

Will post my number later as I think about it.

NEW YORK (Frankfurt: A0DKRK - news) , Dec 14 (Reuters) - Global (Chicago Options: ^RJSGTRUSD - news) shares edged lower on Friday as investors fretted about a lack of progress in Washington to resolve the U.S. fiscal crisis and signs of deepening recession in the euro zone.

The dollar fell against the euro and yen after U.S. data pointed to muted inflation pressures, boosting expectations the Federal Reserve will stay on its ultra-easy monetary policy path.

President Barack Obama and House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner held a "frank" meeting Thursday to try to break an impasse in negotiations over the "fiscal cliff" -- tax hikes and spending cuts set to kick in early in 2013 that could tip the economy back into recession.

While a deal is expected to be reached eventually, a drawn-out debate - like the one seen over 2011's debt ceiling - can erode confidence. Frustration has mounted over the lack of progress, reflected in a 0.6 percent drop in the S&P 500 (SNP: ^GSPC - news) on Thursday.

"The uncertainty that (the fiscal talks) is creating is basically holding the markets hostage in the short term," said Andres Garcia-Amaya, global market strategist at J.P. Morgan (KOSDAQ: 019990.KQ - news) Funds, in New York.

Global stocks fell 0.1 percent to 336.55 points. European shares shed 0.2 percent to 1133.08 points.

"The bad news is, in large part, we've seen the market ignore relatively good news in the economic data stream as we focus on the fiscal cliff," said Art Hogan, managing director of Lazard Capital Markets in New York.

The Dow Jones industrial average dropped 8.44 points, or 0.06 percent, to 13,162.28. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index fell 3.90 points, or 0.27 percent, to 1,415.55. The Nasdaq Composite Index lost 15.14 points, or 0.51 percent, to 2,977.02.

Data out of China was encouraging for its key trading partners, including the U.S., and for the prospects for world economic growth. It showed manufacturing in the world's second-largest economy grew at its fastest pace in 14 months in December.

But the outlook for euro zone economy remains gloomy. Disappointing German manufacturing sector figures and a rise in euro zone unemployment overshadowed a small pick-up in purchasing manager data.

The German manufacturing purchasing managers index slipped to 46.3 in December from 46.8 the previous month, remaining well below the 50 threshold that divides growth from contraction and missing the consensus Reuters poll forecast for a rise to 47.2.

"All in all, the picture for the EMU (euro zone) economy has not changed much after today's data," said Annalisa Piazza, an economist at Newedge Strategy in London. "EMU GDP is expected to continue to contract in Q4-12 and there are no signs of improvement for the first part of next year."

The positive data out of China lifted oil prices. Brent crude rose $1.29 to $109.20 a barrel, on course to eke out its first weekly gain this month. U.S. crude was up 30 cents at $86.19.

The euro rose 0.1 percent to $1.3088, while the dollar slipped 0.2 percent to 83.43 yen.

The yen had earlier weakened after Japanese media reported the conservative Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) is set for a resounding victory in elections on Sunday, cementing speculation LDP leader Shinzo Abe will be in a strong position to push for bold monetary easing.

"Abe has been making pretty strong comments about inflation targeting and if we look at the economy Japan (EUREX: FMJP.EX - news) needs a lower currency without a doubt," said Maurice Pomery, managing director at consultants Strategic Alpha.

"This is going to put pressure on the BoJ. It's the start of a move lower in the yen that has a long way to go."

The benchmark 10-year U.S. Treasury note was up 7/32, with the yield at 1.7075 percent.

The Labor Department said its Consumer Price Index dropped 0.3 percent last month as a sharp decline in gasoline prices offset increases in other areas. It was also the largest drop since May and followed a 0.1 percent gain in October.

"The crux of this report is simply that the inflationary backdrop remains very benign, providing the Fed with considerable breathing room to keep monetary policy accommodative," said Millan Mulraine, a senior economist at TD Securities in New York.

I have considered my next week forecast from every angle and.............
oh no - the forecast is up again to 1522

I have considered my next week forecast from every angle and.............
oh no - the forecast is up again to 1522

Downward move for me next week. 1498. (n)

The force is strong with this one :cool:

Now, I have butt clenching week long wait having defied system. :(

:eek:

1510 for me please Atilla, I think its topped out and heading south this week.

After going through the various breadth charts I look at, there's a few more mixed signals this week, but the overall weighting is still leaning towards the bullish side as there has still only been a few sell signals in the shortest term measures only. But the main reason for staying long for another week is that there was 25 P&F breakouts and only 9 P&F breakdowns in the S&P 500 last week. So until that reverses and the breakdowns outnumber the breakouts I'm going to stay with the trend.

So 1526.5 please Atilla

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cum_SP500_BO-BD_15-2-13.png
    Cum_SP500_BO-BD_15-2-13.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 428
  • SPX_breadth_15-2-13.png
    SPX_breadth_15-2-13.png
    56 KB · Views: 411
Market looking for direction, its going to break this range and still have a 1528 tgt for the breakout.
So sticking with 1528 for me.
Personally I hope it stays in this range the dow has been easy trading this week shorting volume divergence tops at 14k area and longing the exhaustion spikes at 13900 area. That trade delivered at least 3 or 4 times last week.
Dont know how long it will last for but the longer the better.

(y)

Not a lot of points for some in this months comp. As I pointed out to Gaffs some months ago and now a consistent winner, why not do all your usual preparations and DO the OPPOSITE ? Sounds daft I know but you all would be 100% correct now at the top rather than languishing a bit.

Just a thought guys ?

:smart: