New Trades Thread

the market is irrelevant in relation to how best people should think and operate..failure to acquire the correct knowledge and implement the necessary precautionary steps..will lead to undesirable results

This is true. I do think patience is even more important. Many times all of people's hard work and knowledge flies out the window due to stress and fear. Your pictures befit this current conversation. Information travels to the amygdala twice as fast as it does to the frontal lobe. Additionally, the amygdala causes lateral inhibition (sending an inhibitory signal to the surrounding brain regions), which prevents the frontal lobe from using executive functioning (the ability to plan and form complex ideas). This causes you to act out of fear and do things contrary to common sense. When all else fails, be patient.

I do not use predefined stops because they will be triggered during periods of fear mongering in the markets. Wait out the storms. It is as @Lúidín said here before.

1. i am not trading on margin..i have the cash to buy these shares and can afford them to go to zero..which is very unlikely..but can happen as xiv is not an index..and the backers could go bust..but unlikely at this moment in time

2. i did not buy 1000 shares..as that would be taking on too much risk..and tying up my capital that i can use for other trades..as it is better to diversify when buying and holding for even a short period..as in days or weeks..not seconds or minutes

Last edited:
the market is irrelevant in relation to how best people should think and operate..failure to acquire the correct knowledge and implement the necessary precautionary steps..will lead to undesirable results

true.

This is true. I do think patience is even more important. Many times all of people's hard work and knowledge flies out the window due to stress and fear. Your pictures befit this current conversation. Information travels to the amygdala twice as fast as it does to the frontal lobe. Additionally, the amygdala causes lateral inhibition (sending an inhibitory signal to the surrounding brain regions), which prevents the frontal lobe from using executive functioning (the ability to plan and form complex ideas). This causes you to act out of fear and do things contrary to common sense. When all else fails, be patient.

I do not use predefined stops because they will be triggered during periods of fear mongering in the markets. Wait out the storms. It is as @Lúidín said here before.

you may want to look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

knowing and doing are not the same..if things were that simple the world would be a much better place..the brain is subjected to many things that distort all reasoning and judgement..i know only too well:cheesy:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 01-09-16 at 04.22 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 01-09-16 at 04.22 PM.PNG
    129.8 KB · Views: 146
knowing and doing are not the same..if things were that simple the world would be a much better place..the brain is subjected to many things that distort all reasoning and judgement..i know only too well:cheesy:

Knowing and doing are not the same thing. However, that point is moot. One cannot do anything without the brain. This lateral inhibition effect is so strong that the navy seals have an intensive training on how to condition yourself to put this effect of the brain in its place because you can never consciously override this. It is a protection mechanism since the times when the brain consisted only of the limbic system. You cannot intellectualize your way out of this response per se. You can try to combat it indirectly and avoid making any major decisions like placing a trade until you have regained your composure. This requires patience.

I am not exactly sure if we are on the same page or if we are miscommunicating. We may be saying the same thing.

Knowing and doing are not the same thing. However, that point is moot. One cannot do anything without the brain. This lateral inhibition effect is so strong that the navy seals have an intensive training on how to condition yourself to put this effect of the brain in its place because you can never consciously override this. It is a protection mechanism since the times when the brain consisted only of the limbic system. You cannot intellectualize your way out of this response per se. You can try to combat it indirectly and avoid making any major decisions like placing a trade until you have regained your composure. This requires patience.

I am not exactly sure if we are on the same page or if we are miscommunicating. We may be saying the same thing.

:)

The mind with his thinking is important, said that too much mind can create problems, too much thinking brings in emotions, a good trader is aware of the conflicts and gets prepared for those eventualities.

Last edited:
Its hard not to get carried away when the thoughts start to fire up sometimes, trading can bring the worst of them out.
Have you tried to got beyond thinking, to a place where you dont take your thoughts too seriously?

you are on the right track..note the reference to "alcohol"..all i will say is FECK:rolleyes:

Yes alcohol affects decision making decision by promoting GABA-mimetic activity. GABA (gamma aminobutyric acid) is an inhibitory neurotransmitter responsible for quite aptly inhibiting neuronal function by making it harder to depolarize the resting cell membrane of a neuron, which would normally generate an action potential. Multiple action potentials of neurons equals thought. Alcohol also readily crosses the blood brain barrier as it is lipophilic. Since cell walls have phospolipid bilayers containing lipids (fat). It passively diffuses through the cell membrane. Normally, the BBB would prevent any charged particles or chemicals from passing through and into the brain.

The meditation of the monks that article speaks of, requires patience.

we are on the same track..main points are..

1. risk control is paramount
2. money makes money
3. knowing does not mean ability to do
4. high probability results in more fear - not taking the trades
5. low probability results in less fear - taking the trades
6. your head will screw you up..not your method
7. get your head right at all costs..then it becomes easy peasy..once you have adequate experience

we are on the same track..main points are..

1. risk control is paramount
2. money makes money
3. knowing does not mean ability to do
4. high probability results in more fear - not taking the trades
5. low probability results in less fear - taking the trades

6. your head will screw you up..not your method
7. get your head right at all costs..then it becomes easy peasy..once you have adequate experience
I like. Emotional intelligence,, spiritual intelligence.

I prefer not to get my medical knowledge from Wikipedia. However, I do know about neuroplasticity. I am not following your reasoning in bringing it up? Was there something in particular?

yes the reason lays in that fact that our mind is not suitable alined for various reasons to deal in a proper manner with the trading environment, but the mind can be realigned for the purpose of trading.

At the core of neuroplasticity lays mindfulness.

Need to go to yoga class and I do not intend miss the woman in front of me in her
Downward Facing Dog Pose.:eek:

Chat later.

Its hard not to get carried away when the thoughts start to fire up sometimes, trading can bring the worst of them out.
Have you tried to got beyond thinking, to a place where you dont take your thoughts too seriously?

(y)

you are aware of the saying..

i know "exactly" what to do..but i just can't do it !

there are many reasons for this..can be anything to genetic..upbringing..education..social environment..family situation..aging..etc..and to make radical changes is extremely hard..as..pinpointing the exact cause..or causes..can be very difficult..even for so called "professionals" in this field

i believe awareness is the fist step..correct knowledge is the second..and changing ones habits is the third..and most important..but as i keep saying..knowing is not doing..doing causes pain..and no person likes pain..well..no normal person that is!

you are aware of the saying..

i know "exactly" what to do..but i just can't do it !

there are many reasons for this..can be anything to genetic..upbringing..education..social environment..family situation..aging..etc..and to make radical changes is extremely hard..as..pinpointing the exact cause..or causes..can be very difficult..even for so called "professionals" in this field

i believe awareness is the fist step..correct knowledge is the second..and changing ones habits is the third..and most important..but as i keep saying..knowing is not doing..doing causes pain..and no person likes pain..well..no normal person that is!

yes..

but pains can be accepted with awareness ....here there is change....stay with it.....

Let's not get too carried away talking about upbringing and environmental factors. For now, let's stick to the present.