my journal 3

Thanks.

Yes, first of all, regarding the gold systems, they were created mostly two years ago, more or less, so they're just newly enabled, because I was waiting to reach the capital needed to use them.

The systems I'll be trading are the following ones, with year and month of creation next to it:

GC_ID_02 (200910)
GC_ID_04 (201105)
GC_ID_05 (201105)
GC_ID_06 (201105)

As the code says, they're all intraday, so they do not carry positions into overnight trading.

They fall into these four categories:

GC_ID_02 Volat.Breakout
GC_ID_04 Volat.Breakout
GC_ID_05 WITH ID trend
GC_ID_06 WeekDay Bias

Volatility breakout: a given rise will make the system go long until a given time, when rises end (the end of the day).
WITH ID trend: it goes with the trend at a given time of the day and stays until the end of the day.
WeekDay Bias: on given days of the week gold (and other futures) go in certain directions.

% of wins and sharpe ratio in the forward-tested period:

GC_ID_02 51% 1.4
GC_ID_04 62% 4.5
GC_ID_05 55% 5.0
GC_ID_06 49% 2.1

Profit factor in the forward-tested period:

GC_ID_02 1.3
GC_ID_04 2.1
GC_ID_05 2.2
GC_ID_06 1.5

Thanks for the detail.
Your charts look to be linked into esignal but you have built the systems to execute from excel while streaming data from Interactive Brokers?

Do you have a good source for finding out how to set this up? Book or online?

Thanks again.

Yes, you're welcome.

Well, first of all, the charts that I show on index.html are only related to my discretionary trading, which I don't advise, because automated is the best thing to do, if possible.

The automated trading works like this. I built everything on excel. So I advise the two excel manuals by John Walkenbach: excel bible and Power Programming with VBA (the first for excel's functions and the second one for excel's vba capabilities). You can find them online or I can send them to you on skype.

As I wrote you in a private message (if I remember correctly), I use excel because I prefer not to be a slave to any broker, in particular to tradestation securities, which doesn't have good execution speed and costs (compared to IB). Excel can be used with any broker. Tradestation can't. However, I use tradestation 2000i for backtesting. It's all obsolete, even excel, according to IB. But I prefer doing it like this, and I don't know any other ways. There might be other ways that are better, but I don't know about them, and I would not have time to learn them. So for me this is optimal.

The others reading will hopefully give you their opinion on this subject. I mean, the few people who can post here, about 331, because I've blocked the rest of the world from posting here, given the abundance of trolls.

The others reading will hopefully give you their opinion on this subject.

I wouldn't normally jump in, but since you asked, I like Ninja Trader.
Not perfect but what is, does what I want.

BTW Travis, good last 4 months :)

Thanks! You've been following me closely for years, so you can understand what it feels like for me to finally have made a several hundreds percent return, after spending months doing math exercises, and months studying peak oil, natural gas and conspiracy theories.

And thanks for contributing knowledge for the subject of backtesting/automation platforms.

Yes, you're welcome.

Well, first of all, the charts that I show on index.html are only related to my discretionary trading, which I don't advise, because automated is the best thing to do, if possible.

The automated trading works like this. I built everything on excel. So I advise the two excel manuals by John Walkenbach: excel bible and Power Programming with VBA (the first for excel's functions and the second one for excel's vba capabilities). You can find them online or I can send them to you on skype.

As I wrote you in a private message (if I remember correctly), I use excel because I prefer not to be a slave to any broker, in particular to tradestation securities, which doesn't have good execution speed and costs (compared to IB). Excel can be used with any broker. Tradestation can't. However, I use tradestation 2000i for backtesting. It's all obsolete, even excel, according to IB. But I prefer doing it like this, and I don't know any other ways. There might be other ways that are better, but I don't know about them, and I would not have time to learn them. So for me this is optimal.

The others reading will hopefully give you their opinion on this subject. I mean, the few people who can post here, about 331, because I've blocked the rest of the world from posting here, given the abundance of trolls.

Hi Travis,

What does "It's all obsolete, even excel, according to IB." mean?

Interactive Brokers isnt exactly the most user friendly of brokers. You cant adapt anything within what they supply which I found frustrating (I guess you can once you have the data feeding into excel).

Would you suggest my first steps to be:

1. Get IB to send real time price to excel.
2. Create logic to buy a 1 lot with target & stop order.

And build from there?

Well, I mean that on their list of API applications, they list excel as obsolete:
http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/?f=/en/software/highlights/apiHighlights.php
Limited; uses obsolete technologies; lower performance.

I suggest first of all to be aware that this will take a year of working several hours a day, just to get started with one system, that may not even be profitable. Then, once you have decided to embark on this task, you download their excel sample sheet, and start working from that one, all the way to building an entirely automated trading system, or 120 of them on one excel workbook, as I did. Of course, since it took me from 2005 to now (8 years) to get to the automation I have now (and from 2002 to 2005 I learned to use tradestation), I cannot guide you every step of the way. I can write these posts, as i did so far, but I can't build it for you. It's going to take you hundreds of hours of work. Be prepared for it. Several hours per day, for years, so that means thousands of hours of work. I can show you the way, as I am doing, but I can't do the work for you.

If anything, now is the time to discourage you, before you begin doing any work. Then, once you understand the size of this task and begin, I will encourage you to finish it.

Last edited:
Well, I mean that on their list of API applications, they list excel as obsolete:
http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/?f=/en/software/highlights/apiHighlights.php

I suggest first of all to be aware that this will take a year of working several hours a day, just to get started with one system, that may not even be profitable. Then, once you have decided to embark on this task, you download their excel sample sheet, and start working from that one, all the way to building an entirely automated trading system, as I did. Of course, since it took me from 2005 to now (8 years) to get to the automation I have now (and from 2002 to 2005 I learned to use tradestation), I cannot guide you every step of the way. I can write these posts, as i did so far, but I can't build it for you. It's going to take you hundreds of hours of work. Be prepared for it. Several hours per day, for years, so that means thousands of hours of work. I can show you the way, as I am doing, but I can't do the work for you.

Thank you very much for the pointers Travis. It's really appreciated. Knowing where others have tread is super useful, gives me (and maybe others reading this) a starting point and hopefully hasnt put you too much out of your way helping.

I'll crack on. See how far I can get. Wish me luck.....

Ps. Following your colloidal silver trial. Interested to hear how it went.

You're welcome, it is enjoyable for me to go over my past work (provided I don't have to do it all over again to create your systems). Once again, desist now, or be prepared for a lot of work.

Yes, colloidal silver... since you are in the UK, it can probably be found in regular stores (as in the US). In Italy, we can't find it I don't think, so I bought it on ebay and similar. I bought it in new mexico:
AdvancedSilver.com - 85% Ionic Silver and 15% Colloidal Silver, The Best Ionic Colloidal Silver Products Available

It took a month to ship, so I did more searching, and next time I'll get it from here, Holland:
Geef on-line uw bestelling door - Crystal Colloidale

Obviously this is all a matter of faith, because like for bitter almonds and B17, you can't really have a proof that you would have had cancer had you not eaten bitter almonds (or apricot seeds). I'm hoping that Truther Girl Sonia is correct (and others, too), when she said that colloidal silver cured her cavity. I trust her for the other things she says (you can find her video on youtube).

I don't know if I have cavities, just as I don't know if I have cancer, but just in case, I am taking both B17 (bitter almonds) for cancer and colloidal silver for cavities. One thing is for sure: if you go to the dentist, most likely they'll find something to drill you for, and the same applies to the oncologist, who'll find a reason to have you hospitalized and butchered. Going to the doctor means looking for trouble - except for traumas, where they're useful (such as if you break your leg).

Last edited:
Spotted opportunity on CHF, LONG. I will update my index.html file once I get home.

Spotted excellent opportunity on the JPY as well.

In the meanwhile, this morning I got into a long conversation with a contact, and we've been negotiating our marriage, even though we've never met and we live 10 thousand miles apart. I don't know if this is good or bad. Somehow I must be thinking it's good, because I got myself into it. It means losing my freedom. At the same time, I told her that I won't be ready to even just meet her until I quit my job, so, if this happens, I'll be in a better mood, and available for many experiences. I've never wanted to marry anyone, for one reason or another. But this lady seems exceptionally patient. If I can keep my freedom and live with someone, I might accept. Overall, however, I am probably hoping for this relationship to fail and to achieve total freedom. I don't know. It's a very frustrating thought. You meet someone on facebook, where you are anonymous and incognito and you find yourself married. This is absurd. The only thing... the only reason I am tied to this commitment is that I don't want to offend/disappoint someone who doesn't even know my name.

Last edited:
There. I am back home, and I updated my wonderful index.html:
View attachment index.html

Oh, and I am in both a CHF and a JPY trade.WITH the stoplosses, which for me is unheard of.

Phew... I barely managed to get out alive and profitable from JPY, and all thanks to the super-dangerous martingale method. JPY managed to go down 260 ticks today... from a high of 0.011352 to a low of 0.011097. Crazy ****er.

Anyway, I am now at a capital of 21 thousands. I should slow down, because the martingale used today alerted me as to a risk of blowing out my account via trading with pride and arrogance, and not accepting losses altogether. That's how I blew out my capital each time it went above 20k.

Last edited:
There, you mother ****ers who didn't believe in me:

Snap1.jpg

Listen, you ****ers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the *****, the dogs, the filth, the ****. Here is a man who stood up.

Yeah, sorry for sounding bitter, but after so many years being told that you cannot make money with trading, my mood is justified. I even went and bought an entire cake yesterday, plus drank several hot chocolates, and ate pastries, in the last few days... because I needed to celebrate. I am still celebrating, and probably will be celebrating for a few weeks, provided I don't blow out my account in the meanwhile. This success is indeed destabilizing, and it might trigger mistakes, that could blow out my account.

Last edited:
weekly update

As I've been doing since hitting 20k, I've been using martingale today as well. And finally something went wrong, but not so much as to blow out my account.

My systems were long 1 contract on GBP. They were dead wrong and lost 68 ticks on it, which is about... 425 dollars. Then, gradually as that first contract was losing more and more, I added the martingale contracts... 1, 2, 3, 4. Consequence: lost another 300 dollars. Because I was kind of lucky in the bad luck I had, since at a given time i was losing 1200 dollars on the 5 contracts together. Awful experience.

Furthermore, I wrote on my index.html not to mess with GBP, because it is dangerous and unpredictable, and not only did I mess with it, but heavily. And so... I lost my extra 300 dollars. All right let's not talk about it anymore.

At the same time, today I made 300 dollars on JPY, so more or less I lost nothing for the day. If I learn my lesson, it's just awesome. Cost-wise very efficient, because I could learn a great lesson ("no martingale") for just 300 dollars.

But I doubt it. I will come back with more martingale probably, until I'll ****ing blow out my account again. **** me. Unless the systems provide some action, which they haven't all week long, unless they start showing me some exciting action... I am doomed.

My capital is now a little bit above 20k.

Let's see how the week went for the systems.

-1,329 (first week of trading)

351 (this week)

All right, the systems made nothing. And as we know I made lots.

At the same time -- I know the objection -- these systems made 13k, but this is not the case for the previous combination, which is the one I used for the largest part of the period and yet which is now obsolete. But for practical purposes, I will use this new combination. Also because, even computing things based on this new combination, I am still on top, because even though these systems never actually gave me the 13k they show up there in the weekly profit list, I made it on my own, having begun with 4k (I made 16k).

So, even pretending I've been trading this combination from the start, I am still 3k ahead of the systems.

All right. Let's hope to see some profit from the systems next week. Goodnight.

The lady on facebook ain't writing me no more. She got offended that I wouldn't marry her on the spot. The child is screaming because he's trying to sleep and I am playing norah jones. You little mother ****er, you keep me up at night, and I play music until 11 pm. Mother ****er. You can't have it both ways. You yell all you want at night, so let me at least play music during the day.

May you die from a child tumor. May you die from your house being burned down, along with your ****-sucking mother and piece of **** father.

As for the lady on facebook, I was interested. But maybe I was tired of poking her back several times per day. All I said was that I'd have to meet her on my conditions, my setting, my island, my timing, only after I'll quit my job, no rushing basically. That was enough to make her disappear.

My usual melvin udall impersonation worked again (or should I say: "has screwed me again"). But what am I saying, "impersonation"? I am melvin udall:

As Good As It Gets - Melvin Walking to Restaurant - YouTube

Last edited:
Some changes in the analysis, but very minor:

Essentially I missed the NG rise and this sucks. Next time I'll be less prudent. I missed 5000 dollars of profit.

For the rest I am satisfied.

I am recovering from sucking so badly with my martingale compulsive trading of last week, ever since reaching 20k.

Other than this, I am feeling ok. I slept very well, 9 hours.

Last edited:
to stoploss or not to stoploss?

This is a tough one of course.

Because there can be plenty of trades that are better without a stoploss. Because GBL cannot go beyond 150, and NG cannot go below zero. And similar.

Recently, I missed the NG trade because i approached it as non-stoploss trade, but then, when I was about to enter it at 3.1sh, I got afraid because I said to myself: what if it falls all the way to 2.5? I wasn't ready to lose 6000 dollars and drag it on for months. So I didn't enter it and I missed 4000 dollars of profit as a consequence.

In that case, I should have approached it as a stoploss trade and set the stoploss at 3, and run the risk of losing about 1000 dollars.

So I made the mistake of not realizing that a non-stoploss trade could be a approached as a stoploss trade, too.

When NG was at 2, it was undoubtedly a non-stoploss trade. So was GBL at 146. Why?

Because what happens when in a day of panic price goes all the way to 147, or even 148, for a few minutes and then comes back down to 146 where you entered?

You lose 2000 euros, and for no reason, because it simply won't go higher than 150.

What happens if you set it tighter to 146.5? You lose 500 euros, you are out of the trade, and when you come home, price is at 145. So you lost 500 euros and missed another 1000 euros of profit.

But a stoploss can also be good in those cases where a lack of stoploss scares you as to the downside potential (in case your long).

I will add this stoploss remark to my "trade-offs", which are now 4:

1) entry trade-off: enter with a LMT and you might miss an entry vs. use MKT and you might miss a better price
2) - exit trade-off: set a loose stoploss and you might lose lots vs. set a tight stoploss and you might miss a profitable trade
3) + exit trade-off: exit with a nearby LMT and you might miss profit vs. exit with a distant LMT and you might miss profit, too
4) stoploss trade-off: don't use it and miss profit out of fear for losses vs. use it and a peak/bottom might turn a profitable trade into a loss.

I will also mark the markets that qualify for stoploss-less-ness, which are only GBL and ZN right now. Had i done this before, I would not have missed out on NG, which was good enough as a trade with stoploss, but not good enough as a trade without a stoploss.

Right now, with the present level of capital, a trade that qualifies for stoploss-less-ness is a trade that if it goes wrong, can keep me in the red for days but not weeks and make me go in the red for only up to 5k.

NG didn't qualify at 3.1 because it could have gone to 2.5 for months, and even as low as 2, and it could have stayed there for months. It was extremely oversold, but it still didn't qualify for stoplosslessness. My mistake in assessing its stoplosslessness caused me to approach it with what it's called a stoplosslessness attitude and therefore to stay out of it, and miss thousands of profit.

As a rule, no currencies and no indices or commodities should be stoplossless. But there are exceptions: NG at 2sh, CL at 35sh (in 2008). It also depends on your capital. If you buy an NG contract at 2, all you can lose is 20k, should it go to zero. And CL at 35, you could buy QM, and all you can lose is 17500 dollars, should it go to zero, which of course won't happen. So you could lose about 10k on each one.

But you stand to make much more.

Now GBL and ZN are in the stoplosslessness situation. Nothing else qualifies for stoplosslessness. Never let the market find you unprepared on the stoplosslessness question, like I just did with NG, where I thought it qualified whereas, subconsciously, I feared it didn't, and this resulted in me staying out, whereas I could have easily entered with a risk of 1000 dollars.

Updated index.html:

Last edited:
I need to stop trading for a few days. Today was my fourth day of martingale trading in a row. This is going to blow out my account. I need to stop immediately. No more trading for a few days.

As you might have seen, during the early hours of the night (in Europe), JPY has jumped back up. So basically both JPY and GBP went where I wanted them to go, and now my account is above 22k.

Of course this martingale madness has worked so far, but if it hadn't worked, I would have lost 5000, very easily.

So, after an entire week of martingale, I will now stop doing discretionary because otherwise i would just keep on using martingale until I'd blow out my account.

Making money with martingale leaves you a very bad feeling despite making money, because you know how close you went to blowing out your account.