my journal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now who is misrepresnting..Lol! My point remains and I would be interested in hearing others' opinions on this (Yours and Mine are well known and it looks like we are not going to agree on it !)

If you change the combination of systems traded manually without a pre-determined fixed rule set-up, such as would occur if that fixed rule set was automated, then you are effectively trading the systems discretionarilly. Ie what is the difference between me acting on or rejecting a set-up (that comprises my trading edge) to you that effectively discetionarilly chooses the automated systems to be traded. If you choose when they are traded without a pre-determined fixed rule set (howsoever intelligently this may have been done) from which you don't deviate (wether that be manually or via automation) the corollary of this is that you are effectively trading discretionarilly, and you totally misunderstand the importance of this by saying it accounts for 1%.

To be fair if all of your 120 systems show profit over the 10year back test and some over the forward test so far then it probably is just a case ofbetter money management to withstand worse than historical drawdowns etc, but so long as you change the systems traded combo (howsoever well meaningly/intelligently/logically etc..) it opens you up to the vaguaries of luck, whereas enabling all systems for eg (even with micro lots if trading capital does not allow for more) means that the back test will or will not be repeated in the future, adjusting money management for the known phenomenon that the future tends to be worse than the past.

'.....But we (you and I) need to spend more time and put more energy into finding ideas for automating the selection of systems, rather than just saying over and over again that "i am a discretionary trader" because this 1% of my trading is not automated....'

One thing i know for sure is that market participants change their perceptions at differing rates, always have done, always will. Therefore part of my edge lies in exploiting this market phenomenon..

That is exactly my point, you understand change of perceptions, you can spot this, this means you are a discretionry trader, as this is not possible to reflect in a robust system such as the ones Travis is looking at.

Im not anti-systems, although it may sound that way, each to their own, but short term trading is differnt to long term. Systems must involve cycles, got to ride through them, good times and the bad, need to stay in the game long enough to have any benefit.

There are better ways to go about it, just my opinion, ill leave it there.

That is exactly my point, you understand change of perceptions, you can spot this, this means you are a discretionry trader, as this is not possible to reflect in a robust system such as the ones Travis is looking at.

Im not anti-systems, although it may sound that way, each to their own, but short term trading is differnt to long term. Systems must involve cycles, got to ride through them, good times and the bad, need to stay in the game long enough to have any benefit.

There are better ways to go about it, just my opinion, ill leave it there.

You're correct, i am a discretionary trader, although i trade a mechanical system with judgement overtones. The mechanical model is profitable stand alone, however why not use my experience to improve it's performance?? Capturing the moves from changing perceptions is what mechanical systems can do over many instruments at the same time, the number of markets being the advantage over the human. However the experienced trader will be able to trade a few markets much better than any system. Regarding Travis' systems, i'm sure some of them exploit the same phenomenon as i do, however many also won't.

Please answer my posts at your leisure- ie when you have time - enjoy your holiday !!

Yeh, semantics probably - 'wiped out' is an emotive phrase probably not best suited to the current situation - apologies, but strictly speaking at the lowest point of the current drwadown that is what happened - call it what you will. I am not knowingly misrepresenting in any of my discussions here. I suspect it is an issue more of interpretation from the standpoint of some one intricately involved (you) and the casual but interested observer (me.) I suspect also and there is much evidence in your postings to suggest this, that you are a 'difficult' guy to know - Lol ! This is an observation not a critisism so don't fly off the deep end and thereby prove the hypothesis further !!

The current drawdown I think you said was around 150% of the historical d/down for the prevailing systems combo and yes with a quadrupling of margin traded - a bigger monetary d/down and conversely bigger gains can be expected. You have already said that the past (back tests) seem better than the future (forward live test) and that this should be accomodated more robustly into the money management.

At what point then do you consider that the prevailing systems combo 'stopped working' ie it is clearly not @ 150% of historical drawdown ?

Incidentally, Do you actually change the systems combo being traded or simply add more systems to the existing combo traded as implied by your last post ?

Re the automation or manual fixed rule set for changing the systems traded combo, I just read your edit to the original post re the 8 x factors and will reply at another time - need to have a think about this to come up with anything that may be useful.

G/L

I will try to answer quickly, otherwise this becomes a full time job. Replying as I read.

I am not "difficult". The problem is with the majority of people being superficial. They don't pay attention to details. Then I have to be argumentative, to clarify what they did not clarify, or what they got wrong.

Anyway, you're not one of the most superficial people I know, so congratulations to you.

Yes, here is the problem with our combination. We were expecting the systems to not exceed twice the maximum historical drawdown, but they did already. Furthermore, the investors introduced the useful concept of "relativized max historical drawdown", but then we did not allow that to double, so, in the end, we were not equipped with sufficient profit cushion for the worst to happen and withstanding it. Having said that, we're still in the game, for another 4500 dollars.

The point at which we should say the combination (not all the systems, because that is never case with 50 systems being traded) has failed is at: relativized max drawdown times 2 being reached. That would be 54k, but we'll never be able to see that level of loss, because their uncle point is lower, and reasonably so. They have set it at a drawdown of 42k.

I do not change the previous combination. That rarely happened in the 11 combinations we traded. Almost every time, I add more systems/contracts to the existing combination. That is why I disagree with your criticism on our "changing a combination that has worked". We keep that combination and we add more systems, as the new margin allows. Only this time we didn't do it right, or we were extremely unlucky. I think both.

Yes, regarding the automation of systems' selection from now on please let's focus on doing it, rather than telling me that I haven't done it yet. But it's ok if you remind me once a month that I haven't done it yet.

Hi Travis,

What are these systems that have been working for years, and which system has not failed yet?

What is your definition of failing? Is it the that the system loses all of your trading capital?

I genuinely have no knowledge of what these systems are, but they must make a constant return in all market conditions to be valid. You are trading, not investing, so its no good if the system performs well in 2011 and 2012, but loses 20% in 2013.

The only people who benefit from using a system like this are heavily backed fund managers, those who get a massive bonus, or percentage of profits when the times are good, and are out of the business at the first year of negative returns, never to return as they realise they have no clue as to what they are doing.

They are of no benefit to someone whom has an account of $10,000.

You seem to want to develop a way to elimate all that the market is; emotion, impatience, boredom etc. You dont need to develop a system, you need to develop yourself.

I believe you will get there, youve shown that you are persistent, so you have that major quality. Dont hide behind a system.

Yes, I don't agree with everything, but you have some points, and I understand your point of view, even though I don't agree with it. Regarding your general questions, after writing 4000 posts on my journal, I feel I am entitled to recommending finding your answer by doing a search. To summarize, the answer is yes, I have good systems, systems that make money every year. Of my 120 systems, only a few have incurred a drawdown which is twice as high as the one in backtesting. Most of them, in 2 years of forward testing, have been profitable and most of them have not exceeded the back-tested drawdown.

Now who is misrepresnting..Lol! My point remains and I would be interested in hearing others' opinions on this (Yours and Mine are well known and it looks like we are not going to agree on it !)

If you change the combination of systems traded manually without a pre-determined fixed rule set-up, such as would occur if that fixed rule set was automated, then you are effectively trading the systems discretionarilly. Ie what is the difference between me acting on or rejecting a set-up (that comprises my trading edge) to you that effectively discetionarilly chooses the automated systems to be traded. If you choose when they are traded without a pre-determined fixed rule set (howsoever intelligently this may have been done) from which you don't deviate (wether that be manually or via automation) the corollary of this is that you are effectively trading discretionarilly, and you totally misunderstand the importance of this by saying it accounts for 1%.

To be fair if all of your 120 systems show profit over the 10year back test and some over the forward test so far then it probably is just a case ofbetter money management to withstand worse than historical drawdowns etc, but so long as you change the systems traded combo (howsoever well meaningly/intelligently/logically etc..) it opens you up to the vaguaries of luck, whereas enabling all systems for eg (even with micro lots if trading capital does not allow for more) means that the back test will or will not be repeated in the future, adjusting money management for the known phenomenon that the future tends to be worse than the past.

'.....But we (you and I) need to spend more time and put more energy into finding ideas for automating the selection of systems, rather than just saying over and over again that "i am a discretionary trader" because this 1% of my trading is not automated....'

This is your usual misrepresentation of what I am saying.

First of all, the reason for manual inclusion is that they have performed well. It is not arbitrary at all. We appraise it manually, but the reason we include any system is that it's been a good system.

Second of all, unlike you describe it, we don't just go enabling and disabling systems on and off relentlessly. We enable them, and we keep them that way, so there is very little discretion about this. So it is indeed 1%.

Third of all, all of them have been profitable in back-testing and, as I keep telling you, most of them (almost all of them) have been profitable in forward-testing, so stop saying "some of them", which i resent and consider an insult to me and my systems.

Losing 2000 for the day. Counting yesterday's loss of 500, we get to a total of 2500 or more. We're now only 2500 dollars away from "uncle point". I need a big win soon, to still stay in the game for another week. Otherwise, at this rate, it will all be over by the end of this week.

I need a big win from silver, copper or gold. Otherwise I will not last until next week.

I apologise in advance for the length of this post but these are complex and important issues central to your project's success and cannot be discussed in short post soundbites. Please do not feel you have to reply to every post though and please do so in your own good time - when you have time.

Per your posts above I'm happy to concentrate on the discussion of how to 'automate' the selection of systems to be traded at any given time now.

You say in your post above:

'...I do not change the previous combination. That rarely happened in the 11 combinations we traded. Almost every time, I add more systems/contracts to the existing combination...'

I don't know what the definition of changed is where you come from, and you may consider it to be semantic but in doing what is underlined above it was 'changed'

Anyways, whatever:

Just a summation then to make sure I am clear, mostly when the systems traded combo was changed it was by enabling more systems and/or more contracts to be traded by the prevailing systems trading in the combo.

So, from your posts above you consider a system combination to have failed when;

a. 200% of relativized max historical drawdown for that combo has been reached -or-
b. When the 'uncle point' comes re the investor (s) apetite for drawdown/risk.

whichever is the sooner, b. rendering a. an acedemic point should it be reached sooner.

Further it is the case (from reading your posts above) that 200% of actual (not relativized) max historical drawdown has been reached by the prevailing system combo;

'...Yes, here is the problem with our combination. We were expecting the systems to not exceed twice the maximum historical drawdown, but they did already...'

So the point at which a prevailing system combo thereby acting as a trigger to change that combo (so long as that point is above the uncle point of the investor (s) has been decided by you. I would argue that probably leaves you insufficient a cushion to turn things around by acting on this trigger to change the prevailing systems combo for a new one, before the uncle point' is reached.

Notwithstanding the evidence that the future tends to be worse than the past, once a system combo (or indeed individual system,) starts to exceed the known historical metrics, that is probably the point at which it should be changed / (disabled) until it starts performing again.

In choosing when to change the systems combo - thus far you have tended to do it when a new a/c hi has been reached by the prevailing combo (please correct me if I am wrong) or at the very least the preaviling systems combo has not been changes whilst in a period of drawdown ?

If the systems combo has been changed as a new a/c hi was achieved/period of drawdown was ended then you have either been lucky that the new combo went on to achieve a new a/c hi until this last combo or have been doing something right, or a combination of the two factors..whatever the case I question whether adding more systems to a combo that is clearly working is the right way to go about things, over and above adding more contracts to the systems already trading in the prevailing systems combo that have achieved the new a/c hi.

Even if you automate the systems selection for trading either via automation or via a manual change from a pre-determined fixed rule set; so long as all 120 systems that you know to be profitable in the back test (and most in the forward test) are not trading together all at once any such choice of which systems to trade and when - howsoever intelligently derived, leaves you open to the vaguaries of luck in such a choice to a lesser or greater extent.

If you do intend to change a prevailing systems combo it may be better to consider disabling individual systems as their performance hits a pre-determined lo as suggested above and opnly to disable them at this point. If a new system needs to be added to the prevailing combo to replace the disabled system then I would look for the next most 'stable' in the back test and forward test period currently not trading .. Consistency and longevity is key to trading and stability has to be a consideration.

In summary then and with an eye on automating the systems selection procedure perhaps you should only change a prevailing systems traded combo by;

a. adding more contracts (if trading capital available - within the more conservative money management parametres) to existing systems in a previaling systems combo at a new a/c hi, -or-

b. disabling a system (s) in the prevailing systems combo should a pre-determined more conservative negative performance metric be reached, and in so doing either

i. allocate the trading capital to the best performing system currently trading -and/or-
ii. to the next most stable system currently not being traded.

I need to give more thought to what may constitute a 'next most stable' system as discussed above and consider the factors 1-8 you mention in your post #2934, when I have done this I will post again in due course.

BBmac.

BB, from where I'm standing its purely the timing of quadrupled risk that is the sole issue.
Travis agreed that was the case:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/85510-my-journal-2-a-367.html#post1674358

In those terms the current drawdown is actually lower than the previous worst drawdown from 16/6/11 to 11/7/11
assuming the original position sizing had been maintained.
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/att...nals/122156d1315901877-my-journal-2-snap1.gif

Basically its NOT system or system basket failure, but solely the quadrupled risk
that has also quadrupled the current drawdown.

BTW, whatever happens Travis, interesting thread, I've been lurking for a while :)

Travis has stated that all 120 systems have proved profitable in the backtest and most in the forward test so given this I agree it is not a 'systems problem.'

The 'timing of quadrupled risk' was a result of the decision to change the prevailing systems combo by adding more systems/contracts at a new a/c hi in a certain way in order to ultilise the additional trading capital and this is directly related to the way that Travis has been choosing to do so and when to do so.

Whether the drawdown would have been lower than the previous drawdown with the previous systems combo had the 'original position sizing been maintained' is irrelevant because;

1. Trading capital was quadrupled and that means that whatever the systems combo traded, more capital was used to trade thereby increasing potential monetary drawdown and monetary size of gains.

-and-

2. The 'uncle' point is higher than the point at which Travis has determined that a system/systems combo has stoped working...ie the 'uncle point' is 42k drawdown whereas 200% of relativized drawdown (Travis's determination of when a system/systems combo has stopped working) is 54k drawdown

BB, from where I'm standing its purely the timing of quadrupled risk that is the sole issue.
Travis agreed that was the case:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/85510-my-journal-2-a-367.html#post1674358

In those terms the current drawdown is actually lower than the previous worst drawdown from 16/6/11 to 11/7/11
assuming the original position sizing had been maintained.
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/att...nals/122156d1315901877-my-journal-2-snap1.gif

Basically its NOT system or system basket failure, but solely the quadrupled risk
that has also quadrupled the current drawdown.

BTW, whatever happens Travis, interesting thread, I've been lurking for a while :)

Yes, now we all agree.

There was bad luck and mistakes, that have placed us in a situation where we are not ready for the worst possible outcome.

Let us all also keep in mind, though, that investing in systems is never a sure thing so it is only a matter of where you will set your "uncle point" and your risk, not a matter of us working so poorly that we didn't figure out a risk-free investment.

It is never risk-free. It is just a matter of finding a method that is not likely to fail within your lifetime. Yet, if you're unlucky, it will still fail during your lifetime. You could do things right, and still fail and viceversa, but if you do things right you're much more likely to succeed than if you do things wrong. Now, however, if you find a method, that fails several times a year, then you did not find the right method.

I think we're somewhere in between. We took more chances that we should have. I was showered with too much capital too fast, and I could not handle it. I did not prove good enough at handling that much capital. I was not as picky and selective in choosing systems. The previous success got to my head.

We could say that the 3 factors contributing to this near disaster were:

1) more leverage
2) worse systems (less picky in selecting them, due to too much success and gratifying capital allocated)
3) bad luck

I called it a "near-disaster" because we're still in the game for another 2500 dollars. Once we quit the game, we can all call it "disaster" and I will not complain if you do so. But it was not caused by laziness or carelessness. Just human mistakes. There's a lot of hard work behind this disaster. So call it "disaster" but with respect.

Just because the Discovery Shuttle blew up in the sky, we don't say "the NASA people are all a bunch of idiots".

Something else to be considered is the concept of "combined drawdown".

The combined drawdown, the relativized one, we look at, is the combination of the equity lines of all traded systems in the last 10 years.

But there's a catch. The systems usually compensate each other's losses, but they never lose all at once. We might choose a combination, where we suffer from curve-fitting and over-optimization. We might pick a combination where some systems compensated, by pure brute-forcing, the losses by others and as a consequence that turns out to be the best combination.

So, there's not only to keep in mind the relativization of drawdown, but the risk that my choosing of the best combination suffered from over-optimization. In other words, maybe I did not choose the systems that are likely to deliver the lowest combined drawdown in the future but only those that have delivered, by pure chance, the lowest combined drawdown in the past. This is a risk I did not sufficiently take into account. I am new to this field. I learned to not over-optimize systems. But i did not learn how to not overoptimize the combinations of systems being traded.

Maybe bbmac was right, and it would have been better to simply enable 1 contract on all systems delivering profit in a forward-tested sample longer than 10 trades, and not play with contracts allocated and more stuff.

Maybe it would have been better to adopt a fixed method. My "discretionary help" pushed our luck too fast too far. I probably found a lucky combination of systems delivering a low combined drawdown, which was not likely to happen again in the future.

I have to admit that bbmac was right. We must find a solid, sound, safe method for enabling systems. A method that will not be subject to our optimism.

I will even go as far as saying that we should favor a stupid automated method, which is safe, rather than a very intelligent discretionary choice of the systems to be traded. Because the stupid method will not use any hindsight and brute-force combinations (such as those delivered by palisade software), whereas there's a great urge in all of us to come up with the least drawdown systems producing the biggest profit, and this could give us a very good combination for the past, but too good to be true. Such a combination would yield a drawdown much worse in the future, and... I could go on and on. Let's just say that, once I recover from this disaster mentally, morally, emotionally, intellectually and especially financially, I will have to find an automated method for enabling systems. I need to do it myself. I cannot count on the investors, whoever they will be.

Last edited:
Good, so we all agree quadrupled risk is the cause of the current drawdown,
not longterm system failure or choice of systems for the basket :)
EDIT: very honest last post Travis.

Last edited:
Thank you

In the meanwhile, the trades have been doing better and now we're 3600 dollars from quitting.

I apologise in advance for the length of this post but these are complex and important issues central to your project's success and cannot be discussed in short post soundbites. Please do not feel you have to reply to every post though and please do so in your own good time - when you have time.

Per your posts above I'm happy to concentrate on the discussion of how to 'automate' the selection of systems to be traded at any given time now.

You say in your post above:

'...I do not change the previous combination. That rarely happened in the 11 combinations we traded. Almost every time, I add more systems/contracts to the existing combination...'

I don't know what the definition of changed is where you come from, and you may consider it to be semantic but in doing what is underlined above it was 'changed'

Anyways, whatever:

Just a summation then to make sure I am clear, mostly when the systems traded combo was changed it was by enabling more systems and/or more contracts to be traded by the prevailing systems trading in the combo.

So, from your posts above you consider a system combination to have failed when;

a. 200% of relativized max historical drawdown for that combo has been reached -or-
b. When the 'uncle point' comes re the investor (s) apetite for drawdown/risk.

whichever is the sooner, b. rendering a. an acedemic point should it be reached sooner.

Further it is the case (from reading your posts above) that 200% of actual (not relativized) max historical drawdown has been reached by the prevailing system combo;

'...Yes, here is the problem with our combination. We were expecting the systems to not exceed twice the maximum historical drawdown, but they did already...'

So the point at which a prevailing system combo thereby acting as a trigger to change that combo (so long as that point is above the uncle point of the investor (s) has been decided by you. I would argue that probably leaves you insufficient a cushion to turn things around by acting on this trigger to change the prevailing systems combo for a new one, before the uncle point' is reached.

Notwithstanding the evidence that the future tends to be worse than the past, once a system combo (or indeed individual system,) starts to exceed the known historical metrics, that is probably the point at which it should be changed / (disabled) until it starts performing again.

In choosing when to change the systems combo - thus far you have tended to do it when a new a/c hi has been reached by the prevailing combo (please correct me if I am wrong) or at the very least the preaviling systems combo has not been changes whilst in a period of drawdown ?

If the systems combo has been changed as a new a/c hi was achieved/period of drawdown was ended then you have either been lucky that the new combo went on to achieve a new a/c hi until this last combo or have been doing something right, or a combination of the two factors..whatever the case I question whether adding more systems to a combo that is clearly working is the right way to go about things, over and above adding more contracts to the systems already trading in the prevailing systems combo that have achieved the new a/c hi.

Even if you automate the systems selection for trading either via automation or via a manual change from a pre-determined fixed rule set; so long as all 120 systems that you know to be profitable in the back test (and most in the forward test) are not trading together all at once any such choice of which systems to trade and when - howsoever intelligently derived, leaves you open to the vaguaries of luck in such a choice to a lesser or greater extent.

If you do intend to change a prevailing systems combo it may be better to consider disabling individual systems as their performance hits a pre-determined lo as suggested above and opnly to disable them at this point. If a new system needs to be added to the prevailing combo to replace the disabled system then I would look for the next most 'stable' in the back test and forward test period currently not trading .. Consistency and longevity is key to trading and stability has to be a consideration.

In summary then and with an eye on automating the systems selection procedure perhaps you should only change a prevailing systems traded combo by;

a. adding more contracts (if trading capital available - within the more conservative money management parametres) to existing systems in a previaling systems combo at a new a/c hi, -or-

b. disabling a system (s) in the prevailing systems combo should a pre-determined more conservative negative performance metric be reached, and in so doing either

i. allocate the trading capital to the best performing system currently trading -and/or-
ii. to the next most stable system currently not being traded.

I need to give more thought to what may constitute a 'next most stable' system as discussed above and consider the factors 1-8 you mention in your post #2934, when I have done this I will post again in due course.

BBmac.

Replying as I read.

My point about not "changing" a combination is because you've said in previous posts "why did you change a combination that worked?" and my reply is always the same: we're not

disabling the systems that have worked, but we're adding more systems now that we have more margin and can increase profit without increasing risk (by increasing diversification).

You have to agree that, given your accusation of dropping a combination that works, it makes sense to reply that the term "changing" does not imply that we're dropping any systems

of the previous combination, but merely adding new systems. So, not just in my world, but even in the world you're from, you must agree that using "change" can also be wrong,

depending on the context. The combination does "change", but the systems from the previous combination do NOT change, stay the same, keep being traded, and often are even doubled,

so they are not dropped as the combination changes. What I mean to say is that you previously used the term "combination change" to imply the "dropping of systems from the

previous combination", so I could not accept that term, in the way you used it.

Yes, good point. We cannot turn around. Once a combination fails, it is over. However, after detailed analysis, after months of waiting, we decided to disable a few systems in the

first combination, which caused a change in the combination, and saw us go from #1, to #2, to #3, to #4, as we dropped 5 of the 10 systems I had initially selected. But the

dropping of systems is a slow process, because we need the proof that the individual system has failed. We'll be wiped out much faster by a combination that has delivered a

tripled max relativized drawdown, than we'll be able to identify which system has failed. In this case, combination #11, no system has failed. It's just that all their losses

happened simultaneously, which is something we could not expect. You see if we had to be prepared for all the individual drawdowns to happen at once, then we would not need a

profit cushion of 40k but 300k. My systems have an average drawdown of 5k. Multiply that by 50 and you get 250k. Then add to it that we're trading 2 contracts on a few systems.

We've never meant to be ready for all individual drawdowns to take place at once. We've only meant to be ready for the combined drawdown to be twice as bad as what has been in the

past (non-relativized), and along the way, we've also tried to take relativized drawdown into account (but this was done after the combination #11 was already selected).

"...until it starts performing again". Disabling a system combo until it starts performing again is not something we can do. None of us (3 people) think this way. It is either we

trade it from the start to the end, or we don't trade it at all. We do not agree with the logic that you wait for something to rise and then start trading it, because there's no

way to know if it will continue or if after a loss there will be gains. Otherwise trading would be easy: you just wait for ES to rise, then go long.

We have scaled up this last time after a high, but it wasn't a principle until now. You see: capital has only been increased 3 times. From 15k 1) to 30k, 2) to 45k, and 3) to 160k. So this might have happened after a good run, because of people being happy with my systems, and certainly it was not after a long drawdown. But it's never been established as principle. These 4 different levels of capital would make you expect 4 different combinations, but they have been much more, because I found ways to scale up without adding capital, due to the systems not trading all at once (they have different schedules).

I think the idea of waiting for drawdowns or waiting for new a/c hi should not be used, because you never know what is next. I think one should scale up while ignoring altogether how well the systems are performing. I mean: you should not time your scaling up based on the fact that you're in a drawdown or not.

Your considerations on how to pick the systems are good, but I feel i am more advanced in this area, so we would have to start from those 8 factors that I mentioned previously and find a way to combine them in a formula that returns a final choice. I am also good at synthesis, so I will probably do the whole thing myself, and your main contribution after all might have been achieved already in your insisting that I should do it. I mean: I am probably going to do it by myself, but thanks to your reasoning and so on.

Now, whether i do this by myself and totally freely, or I do it with the investors, according to their wishes, depends on whether we'll reach "uncle point" or not. If it all ends due to exceeding 42k of drawdown, then I will be on my own again, and this will affect how I work on this automation.

But let's also mention that I am burned out and that I don't have the stomach to do much more work on excel.

The day is closed. 4k away from "uncle point". One overnight long trade on CL open. Let's hope for the best. Let's all pray for the best. Let us pray for my drawdown to end before we reach "uncle point".

What ever way you decide in the future to 'change' the systems in any prevailing enabled systems combo being traded, either by adding contracts for them to trade and/or by enabling/adding new/other systems to the combo, you will need to have a definition of an individual system failure (thereby prompting the disabling of that system and possible replacement with another/or sharing of available trading capital allocated to that system with other enabled systems in the preaviling combo) and of the enabled systems combo failure that comes @ a level above the 'uncle point,' or you will always be starting again with looking for a new investor, and with only a string of failed attempts to show the next investor.

Whatever you do you need to give yourself the best chance of staying in the game (ie above the 'uncle point.' Remember that investors although generally greedy at heart would in practice when their own money is actually at risk - generally prefer to see small but consistent gains and stability than wild fluctuations of gains and losses....ie a 'smooth' [ish] equity curve.)

------------------------------------------------
Does that current 160k capital number you mention include the retained 37k gains ? If it does it means that with the -42k 'uncle point' your current investor (s) apetite for risk is only -5k and tolerance for drawdownis -26.25% (ie -42k as a % of the total 160k is -26.25% )

Of course if that 160k does not include the 37k gains and assuming they werte retained and avilable as trading capital at the last account hi then their risk apetite at the -42k uncle point is still -5k (ie37k gains + -5k = -42k 'uncle point') but their tolerance for drawdown is -21.32% (ie -42k as a % of the combined trading capital of 160k and then +37k retained gains at the last account hi = 197k = 21.32%)

My experience of investors' typical risk apetites is that if they provide x trading capital, their risk apetite is x - (> 20% but <30%) of that original capital. Once a profit cushion is established (net of any drawings from it) my experience is that their risk tolerance becomes greater because it is not the original capital that is @ risk - just retained gains made from it. Your experience and future experience may be different and of course to some extent it is importnat to condition them into expecting more drawdown and lower gains than you can probably reasonably expect/deliver. It is always better to over achieve an expectation than under achieve it. This 20% ish max drawdown of original trading capital permissable level (the 'uncle point' ) is also relative to my own trading edge's strike rate, money management and lo probability of it ever being hit...such as your own will be.

Keeping with your current definition of a system/combo failure (that of a system/combo reaching 200% of the max historical relitivized drawdown) may mean that you have to use very conservative money management to stay within a likely 'uncle point' or else persudae the investor (s) to accept more risk.

G/L

Last edited:
Replying as I read.

No, it is 160k of capital and the profit is separate.

There are no other questions. Everything else you wrote makes sense, but you are still using an over-complex language, as in a college thesis: I urge you to synthesize and to write in a simpler language. English is not my first language and I am not an academic.

Rather than automating sytem selection for the basket, have you considered trading your equity curve instead,
pretty much as if the equity curve was an asset in its own right (which it is really).

In simplified terms, if the EC breaks a trendline or some other suitable trigger (DD% maybe), either cease
trading or reverse the signals, or start a basket of systems with a short bias.
Once the EC drawdown ends, restart the primary upside bias basket.

I'd imagine Tradestation can do that, even if you have to program it in C#
I know Ninja Trader won't do it out of the box (as far as I know) but you could program it in C# with NT.

Last edited:
Thinking about it, you probably have tried EC trading, there are a lot of arguments
for it being laggy and curve fitting, thought it was worth a mention.
Individual cases can differ.

On the whole, I'm not a fan of trailing stops, but bizzarely enough, I've found
that they reduce drawdown and improve returns on the strategy I'm currently working on.

Thats the only reason I suggested EC trading, worth a check even if its discounted as unusable.

Status
Not open for further replies.