my journal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of work today. Tomorrow it's a holiday here. I will finish for sure all the work on the new moving average. I've done excellent work and didn't even need to push myself. The challenging work is the one that doesn't need pushing. The reasoning is like... a long chain pulling me wherever I have to go to solve a problem. The boring tasks such as long lists, those are the ones I need to push myself to do.

moving averages simplified: mission accomplished

Snap1.jpg

Reasoning non-stop till mission was accomplished. Now still fixing all the tedious details, but the creativity part was successful and it's over.

On the last column you can see how long in milliseconds it takes excel to process the new moving average macro I created (for my 16 symbols). Dude, on this very laptop from which i took the snapshot and where I've been doing all the testing, i went from 30 seconds of the previous macro to at worst 100 milliseconds.

I am amazed at myself. Congratulations. Yes, I still got it. I didn't do any programming, but i taught it myself pretty well, at least as far as i need it.

Dude, I really rule. You know what i deserve? I deserve another apple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiFH3XDeq4I

Yeah, sound like a maniac? Yes, but that's what we have in common: how many times has she sung this song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFKRl5_wLlA

Repetition is important. That's how things get good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV9K-u7YRtU

The world is full of superficial people, who can't understand what I am saying. Almost everyone is superficial and they'll tell me that I am obsessive and a maniac. But to me you're all superficial dip****s.

That's right. While Fiona and I practice and get good at doing things, you guys are only capable of standing on the side and yelling like monkeys.

Well, you know what? You idiots, you can shove your screams and moronic voices and kaizen speeches up your asses. And go watch your tom cruise's movies. You dicks. You can't appreciate me because you're worthless. May you burn in hell.

Last edited:
You see, boss, idiot boss. There is indeed one way to do things right, mine and one way to do things wrong, your way. And I do hold the Truth with the capital "T". You don't hold jack****. Right, because you're an idiot, and have been too lazy to use your brain your entire life. May you pay dearly for destroying my statistics. I had given my blood for this office, and now you can have my urine if you want.

I am now also done with all the damn details. And I am just about ready to jump out of the window.

The new average processing is totally implemented. There's no other work needed. My best job as usual: my latest work is always my best.

I woke up early due to crying little dick neighbour.

I checked the systems' trades and they're the same on server as on laptop here, so it means the new average is not only smooth, quick, light, efficient, but it also perfectly match with the other previous one, which is still running on the server.

I'd be very happy and celebrate if I weren't so sleep-deprived, having only slept 4 hours, with nightmares of cells in my head - not even all trading-related cells. I was also having nightmare about my spreadsheet at work, which is no longer a concern since the boss accepted responsibility for destroying my work and said that more or less he'll try to handle statistics from now on, with my help. Obviously he won't manage, but I am not as responsible as before, when I was the only person in charge of that job, and I did it very reliably.

My laptop is breathing quietly with the new averages - something new, that i am still getting used to. The final time taken by them is precisely 63 milliseconds. It's recorded that time for hundreds of times already. That's how long it takes.

Let's see... it took 30 seconds on this laptop before to process the moving averages macro. So it was a big improvement, since 63 divided by 30000 = 0.2%

It's taking 0.2% the time it was taking before. Basically i've gotten rid of the biggest cpu-instensive thing in my systems. Now I could even build another 200 systems and except for forgetting and confusing them with one another, the excel workbook would be able to handle them.

1% inspiration, 99% perspiration

Snap1.jpg

Now I just have to find a way to sleep and I'll be ok.

Last edited:
Go... figure. Just when I thought everything was perfect, I was double-checking trades and there appeared the big error. I was calculating everything correctly except one thing:

The excel function for moving average I was using was:

1) on the old sheet, correctly:
=average(first cell : last cell)

2) on the new sheet, mistakenly:
=average(first cell , last cell)

So, there you go: that's why you need one hour of programming and 10 hours of double-checking afterwards, something my boss would never understand, since he worked on my workbook for 4 hours and then told me that he had "improved" and "simplified" my work of 4 years. What a fool, especially considering he knows nothing of programming. This was the clearest sign of him being a fool. I'd almost feel sorry for him, if he weren't my stupid boss. Instead, he's my boss so i feel sorry for our office.

That's right, a very clear sign, and "univocal" even, that I am being lead to battle by an idiot boss.

This is in turn a clear sign that obedience and being a "yes man" is more important than intelligence and critical thinking at my bank. I suppose that is why he's even more butt-kissing and obedient, since that is his only quality.

Speaking of "friendly fire", I will start watching this movie now:
http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/watch-2584007-The-Tillman-Story

Last edited:
Re: work ahead and schedule

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA6ulKFXiTA

I am going to divide the remaining work and decide which phase should come first.

1) tomorrow (sunday, may 29th): write 46*4=184 links on "n3s" sheet

DONE [written later]

2) tomorrow and next week's weekdays: finish collecting the codes on the new "el" sheet

DONE with 60 of the 120 [written later] - will finish by next Sunday

3) next week and weekend: write the 46 * 2 (entry and exit) = 92 sub procedures in the 16 vba modules of the 16 symbols. Due to economies of scale, it should be done one module at a time. But it doesn't have to be done in the weekend, because you can always save the new modules during the weekdays and then in the weekend replace those in the original file with the ones you worked on.

4) once you're done with all of the above, you have to work on the 46 groups of functions on "ON" sheet (and the triggering code on ThisWorkbook). This is too dangerous and confusing to do all at once, because it's similar to learning spanish and italian at once - very hard to not confuse the two - in this case 46 different systems. So this should be done slowly. However it can only be done in the weekends, because you have to work on the original file. But the weekends are far apart, so before you start trading all systems it would take you 2 more months if you plan to put them online all at once.

Hmm, no, wait.... you should be able to do about 10 systems per weekend and so in 5 weekends you should be done with all. Nonetheless it makes sense to enable them a few at a time, so you can get them trading faster and see if there's any problems. So you work on 10 systems per weekend, and then right away (during the weekend) you also place their triggers on ThisWorkbook. Everything should be finished by the end of June, but you should be able to see some trades from the new systems as soon as two weeks from now.

One month is a long time, but if you go any faster, you could make mistakes.

After You've Gone
Marion Harris
Fiona Apple

These damn humans/monkeys who are shouting while she sings really bother me.

After getting done with #1, #2 and another task I hadn't written (rewriting the moving averages macro), today and in the weekend I will work on and finish #3. I don't know if I can do more. Within the next 2 weeks (and weekends) I will most likely finish everything.

Then, with profit above 20k and 120 systems being forward-tested, I will focus on scaling up and which systems should be enabled, since right now we're only trading 16 of them. Probably there's one or two systems that also deserve 2 contracts, such as ZN_ON_2.

Last edited:
different personalities of traders and their effect on profit

I am here at the office, doing menial work.

I was just thinking about how our personality affects our trading. I am compulsive, the gambling type, I get excited when I win and depressed when I lose, and I want to scale up quickly and make a lot of money really fast. This is why I never made any money.

My investors for example, instead, they're the ones who have an approach to trading like to any other job. And they made it happen for me, not because they've changed my personality, but because I can't do on their account what I'd be doing on mine.

It's an interesting topic. If you think about it, it's really not normal to see people keep their cool and peace of mind in the trading arena. Instead this is what I've been seeing for a whole year. And the results on my trading were.... profit. Yes, things did not go as fast as I wanted them to go. But they're going up all the time instead of up and down. My equity curve before them was great gains for 3 months and then blowing out my account. Now I don't see any 100% returns in one month, but we never blew out any accounts, and profit keeps on increasing at a steady pace.

Let's not dwell on other things. What I am stressing out here is that - given my personality and its effect on my trading - it's quite amazing for me to see people who have an approach to trading, which is as calm and regular as the one of an employee working for a bank. This of course can be done even better with automated trading, but I've seen have the same approach with their discretionary trading as well. I could not have this approach on either one.

Together, also thanks to my many systems, we're practically turning our automated trading into a regular job: without the disadvantages of a regular job (boss, colleagues and office hours), but with the advantage of regular "salary" at the end of the month, and no emotional roller-coasters, which is what I experience when I trade on my own. I hope it will keep going like this and keep getting better and better as we add more systems.

Last edited:
back home

I am pissed off because, as i was leaving the store, some lady at a pizza place accused me of not paying, when instead I had paid her less than 5 minutes earlier. Plus, the damn bitch has seen me come about once a week for the last 3 years, and she was always friendly. Then, out of the blue, I become someone who tries to rip her off. Oh, and i even left her a 1.5 euro tip the other day (there's no tips for buying slices of pizza). May she burn in hell forever. Of course, after talking for a bit, she admitted that maybe I hadn't paid for the drink, and i don't even know if that's true, but it would be her fault for not charging me. Damn bitch. Never going again in that ****hole. May you burn in hell, along with my boss.

more tragedies here at home

The maid bought stuff I hadn't asked her to buy. I specifically said "let's let the refrigerator get totally empty". She seemed to understand and today she bought a lot of wrong things that I hadn't asked her to buy (plus the concept of me wanting to be on a diet with an empty fridge was clear and repeated to her several times):

1) chestnut jam (jam sucks and it makes you fat)
2) 4 apples
3) fresh milk (i wan uht milk)
4) jar of nescafé rich (coffee is not good for your health)

I emptied everything in the toilet, throwing the apples in the trash can - otherwise if I eat what she buys, first of all I get fat, and second of all, she just keeps on buying. Damn bitch. Bitch, bitch, bitch.

I am surrounded by idiots. Idiot at work, the boss. Idiot amnesiac bitch at the pizza place, who accuses me of not paying. Idiot at home, buying stuff... stray idiots, idiots out of control... you're going to say that i am inolerant, but if you are efficient like me, you cannot stand idiots being careless. I am precise. I don't do this crap. I didn't do this crap when i was 14. These idiots have been careless their whole life.

Potential solutions to all idiots:

1) boss: i am getting paid so I will keep on putting up with him
2) bitch at pizza place: I won't go there for at least 3 months, until I'll forget the unfair accusations
3) bitch at home: she can't be replaced because she is the only honest maid in the country: doesn't steal, she just buys stuff she's not supposed to buy - and great ironing.

After all, idiots are idiots, because they do damage without meaning to. So the boss tries to help me out and "simplifies" my spreadsheet, which cost me 4 years of work in 4 hours, with obvious results.

The lady tries to bring me some happiness by buying me sweets after I told her several times that I am on a diet, and not to buy anything unless I tell her to.

Such are idiots: they love you and they still harm you. Still, as summarized above in the action plan, it is better to be surrounded by idiots who love you, than by smart people who don't give a damn about you. Smart people who love you would be ideal, but they are rare.

Last edited:
prediction of weekly updates cessation...

I can feel that day arriving, and probably this weekend I will start the new course. For the reasons I will list below I might stop posting those famous weekly updates of mine, on equity line and systems' performance, something which i've kept doing for over a year, through thick and thin. At least momentarily, I will most likely stop. These are the reasons I feel inside me (some reasons I might be unable to identify):

1) I am getting older and energies keep decreasing
2) I am getting older and calmer, and restlessness decreases
3) I am becoming more successful and there's a) less of a need to display my abilities here to self-pat myself on the back b) less of a need to display my abilities to get offers of collaboration from others
4) I am in a period of great stress at work, and this has further decreased my energies
5) I am in a period of great work at home on the new systems
6) As my systems go from 74 to 120, i will need more time to babysit them
7) As the investors increase the capital, the systems traded increase as well, and I will need to spend more time babysitting them (working on getting all the trade reports and such)
8) a bit related to #3.a, I feel that, having become "successful", coming here every week to show off my growing equity line, is no longer a needed self-pat on the back, but an unnecessary showing off in the face of others who may not yet have reached that goal (especially since I am not willing to give my systems away).

As you can see, there's so many identifiable reasons in my mind for not posting my equity line and weekly updates here... so many that I simply do not feel the energy, the need, nothing is going to make me do it anymore. Not the despair (no longer the case), not the happiness (getting used to it), not the need for self-encouragement (the financial reward is enough to encourage me). Nothing is making me do it. When you do something you could say you're doing it out of generousity, out of anything... but when you don't feel like doing it, all those reasons disappear. So you say to yourself "hey, maybe i wasn't doing it out of generousity... nor out of keeping track of my records...". Maybe I was only doing it out of boredom and despair. It served a purpose because I did meet the investors on this journal. Among the other purposes, because I am positive there are other purposes other than looking for investors, which was a side-effect actually. However, I felt like asking for help in general, to the world.

Those other reasons for which I was writing this journal still exist, and so I will keep writing it. They are the same reasons I've been writing journals since I was 17. So I will still write this journal with anything that's on my mind, whenever I feel like writing it. However, I am quite confident that for a while, a few months, or forever, I will not post those equity lines, those systems' performance scatter plots. Of course I am still ready to answer questions.

If I don't post that stuff, I will still talk about trading, but I simply won't post those reports. Nothing else changes. Hopefully, I will keep going in this direction and write less and less about trading, as I will find more and more profit and peace of mind.

I want this journal to slowly move further and further from trading and go towards philosophy, literature, psychology, history, cinema, music.

Hopefully, I will soon quit my job, and then I will retire to the island, and just think and think... walk on the rocks... watch the waves... think... be in peace.

Last edited:
This song is beautiful and it reminded me that my systems are not "an army of systems" like others have told me before, nor "an army or robots", but they're rather "an orchestra of systems", because each one plays a different instrument and score:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5q9aoJRyAs

Last edited:
Today I mixed two things: some relaxing (watching a movie and talking on the phone) and quite a bit of work as well.

Indeed, today I started and finished the phase #3 described in this post:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/85510-my-journal-2-a-249.html#post1574198

I also started phase #4 already, and got done with 3 systems. I have to do another 43 systems in phase #4 and then I will be done with everything and will finally focus on enabling more systems.

Last edited:
Ok, today, despite some intruders in my house, I've already finished... over 10 systems up to here. I have about 35 more to go.

I met this hostess in the street, she's from spain, and here to learn italian. She even got to use my laptop for 10 minutes. Yeah, my friend and I were walking in the street and she asked us if we knew an internet point, so I said "hey, come to my house". But damn, nothing happened - there was no orgy. But I am quite amazed that she accepted to go into some strangers' house just like that. My usual expectation is that if I ask some lady in the street what time it is, they will protect their purse and walk away from me. But today there was this reckless girl who actually accepted to come into my house. Maybe because I was with my friend, who looks normal. In some way it bothers me, too, to be losing my scary appearance. I almost prefer if people look at me and get scared.

[...]

Ok, writing this a few hours later. I have done 23 of the 46 new tables (full of functions) and now I have only 23 more to go. I can easily finish this whole nightmare within next week. Then I'll need another week to test and debug everything. I have to stop right here, or there's a risk of making mistakes due to working too fast and being too tired.

Last edited:
Le samouraï

http://stagevu.com/video/ohhnncaydenm

I am taking a break and watching a movie with alain delon. It's beautiful - it feels like being in Paris almost 50 years ago, and being there, inside a movie, and no one is telling you what to think of it, because I haven't even ever heard of it.

The noise, the streets, the cars, the people, their clothes... everything is perfect. I am in the movie, I am living right in paris, 50 years ago, and no one is bothering me. Because the neighbour bitch wasn't even born back in 1967, and certainly she wasn't in paris.

It doesn't matter if the acting is bad, and the script sucks (i don't know if it will), because everything really took place there - the filming of the potentially crappy movie I mean - so this movie in itself is a documentary. Like.. you could take even a tom cruise movie in 200 years and it will tell you a lot about our period. Yet right now it's worthless, but in 200 years it will be very interesting, even if it's a piece of ****.

Last edited:
hey, I don't quite get this thread, i've just read the last 3 pages and there's an aweful lot of "life talk" and "video posts" and not alot of trading posts, in fact none of any detail, what's going on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.