my journal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, after all this excitement, let's calm down a little

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFyiyX_wry0

If you really think about it, an orchestra is like a very disciplined army of musicians. Even more disciplined than a regular army, as far as music is concerned. Where else can you get teenagers to be so disciplined if not in an orchestra? Oh, but there's a difference. Those guys in the orchestra are not the same restless guys being disciplined by the army, so the army is indeed quite good at disciplining people. Orchestras are good at collecting people who already are disciplined. I could not be in either places (army or orchestra).

Last edited:
I dedicate this song to myself, and to my genius:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yILTa34FYR8

Yeah, sorry, but I've been killing myself with work all day long, so I need some self-encouragement and self-patting on the back.

I still do not have an affectionate public idolizing me, like Freddy Mercury did. So, for now I thank my imaginary friend for his compliments.

Last edited:
What care I who makes the laws of a nation
Let those who will take care of its rights and wrongs
What care I who cares for the world's affairs
As long as I can sing its popular songs

Let me sing a funny song
With crazy words that roll along
And if my song can start you laughing
I'm happy, happy

Let me sing a sad refrain
Of broken hearts who love in vain
And if my song can start you crying
I'm happy

Let me croon a lowdown blues
That lifts you out of your seat
If my blues can reach your shoes
And start you tapping your feet
I'm happy

Let me sing of Dixie's charms
Of cotton fields and mammy's arms
And if my song can make you homesick
I'm happy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jolson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Etting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irving_Berlin

Last edited:
work ahead and schedule

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA6ulKFXiTA

I am going to divide the remaining work and decide which phase should come first.

1) tomorrow (sunday, may 29th): write 46*4=184 links on "n3s" sheet

DONE [written later]

2) tomorrow and next week's weekdays: finish collecting the codes on the new "el" sheet

DONE with 60 of the 120 [written later] - will finish by next Sunday

3) next week and weekend: write the 46 * 2 (entry and exit) = 92 sub procedures in the 16 vba modules of the 16 symbols. Due to economies of scale, it should be done one module at a time. But it doesn't have to be done in the weekend, because you can always save the new modules during the weekdays and then in the weekend replace those in the original file with the ones you worked on.

4) once you're done with all of the above, you have to work on the 46 groups of functions on "ON" sheet (and the triggering code on ThisWorkbook). This is too dangerous and confusing to do all at once, because it's similar to learning spanish and italian at once - very hard to not confuse the two - in this case 46 different systems. So this should be done slowly. However it can only be done in the weekends, because you have to work on the original file. But the weekends are far apart, so before you start trading all systems it would take you 2 more months if you plan to put them online all at once.

Hmm, no, wait.... you should be able to do about 10 systems per weekend and so in 5 weekends you should be done with all. Nonetheless it makes sense to enable them a few at a time, so you can get them trading faster and see if there's any problems. So you work on 10 systems per weekend, and then right away (during the weekend) you also place their triggers on ThisWorkbook. Everything should be finished by the end of June, but you should be able to see some trades from the new systems as soon as two weeks from now.

One month is a long time, but if you go any faster, you could make mistakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiFH3XDeq4I

After You've Gone
Marion Harris
Fiona Apple

These damn humans/monkeys who are shouting while she sings really bother me.

Last edited:
Still alive, but wounded and worn out. I am still waging war against my idiot boss at work. Continuous arguments to not let him have his idiot way, and save at least my pride if not my work. He keeps saying incorrect things, showing he understands nothing of my work, of how i gave my blood for the office for the last 4 years, and of the damage he has done to my work and to the office's well-being. Damn, it's frustrating to work with idiots.

une déclaration, ma déclaration...

HTML:
Private plngStart As Long
Private Declare Function timeGetTime Lib "winmm.dll" () As Long
Dim endtimer

Sub time_seconds()
plngStart = timeGetTime
copy_print
endtimer = (timeGetTime - plngStart)
MsgBox endtimer & " milliseconds "
End Sub

That's right, I wanted to time my moving averages ("copy_print") and I had to create a timer by making a declaration, my declaration... it was a private declaration ("Private Declare Function timeGetTime Lib "winmm.dll" () As Long").

Dude, this is great: you just stick your own macro in there (instead of "copy_print"), and have a little macro timer. Why?

I had to measure if certain changes (such as getting rid of decimals) would speed it up. Not only that: now i have a method of comparing my different computers and understanding why one computer is breathing heavy and the other one is not.

This is crucial now that I am going from 74 to 120 systems and everything will get heavier.

For your information, copy_print is a macro that... not one that calculates the average, which gets simply done by a function. Copy_print merely copies price from the tickers sheet and prints it every two minutes on the sheet shown in the pictures above. Since you have to keep running the averages all day long and each time a new price gets printed and the previous prices have to be copy/pasted one row higher, and since we have 16 symbols, you can image how tiring this thing gets for excel.

Here's what I found out: displaying the decimals for prices does not slow down almost at all the printing of the averages. And the printing itself takes a different effort and time depending on the computer:

1) this is the slowest one (I am surprised), my HP laptop, which takes 3 seconds:

HP_laptop.jpg

I thought my laptop would be much faster than my pc, here at home, but it seems otherwise. Maybe my laptop is faster at everything else, for one reason or another. But it's not fast at macros. Or maybe my pc is fast, but it doesn't seem fast only because it starts breathing heavy (the fan and all that), so it keeps me from realizing that it actually is faster than a laptop which doesn't breathe heavy, maybe. Or maybe not and it's just fast at processing that macro, but not at everything else. Or then again, maybe I am being mislead by the noise it makes. Just because someone is breathing heavy and the other guy is quiet, you should not assume that the quiet guy is stronger. But with computers you do usually. If you hear one dude breathing heavily and the other one being quiet, you assume that the quiet dude can take a lot more work... whereas maybe the only reason is that one fan is louder than the other... you know what i mean? But you get alarmed by the loud fan... hmm, anyway.

2) here's my "HP small form factor" (that's what it's called), which takes 1.4 seconds:

HP_small_form_factor.jpg

3) and here's the best of them all, on which we run my systems, my HP server, taking 0.6 seconds, bought by my friend, who's a ISP, so he's a mega-expert at efficiency:

HP_server.jpg

So I think we're ok. Barely, but we're ok. Because if the 120 systems can run here on my HP small form factor, which takes twice as long, then the HP server can definitely do the job as well.

Quand je suis seule et que je peux rêver
Je rêve que je suis dans tes bras
Je rêve que je te fais tout bas
Une déclaration, ma déclaration

Quand je suis seule et que je peux inventer
Que tu es là tout près de moi
Je peux m'imaginer tout bas
Une déclaration, ma déclaration

Last edited:
Dude, despite the monkeys shouting, this fiona apple deserves to be posted again, for the third time, for the way she sings it:

Those damn monkies do not deserve to live.

The best part she sings is precisely this verse:
Some day when you grow lonely,
Your heart will break like mine and you'll want me only
It's just amazing how sings that bit. Actually the best bit is how she sings "Some day...". The best part of the song is actually that "some..." she sings at 1:16. I am very good with synthesis. I've got some Oasis mp3s... their songs are very repetitive and I cropped the best part of the songs, which lasts like 20 seconds, and that's all I need. From this Fiona Apple song, I can get rid of the monkeys and just keep the part where she sings "some"... Tell you what: compromise. I will crop the whole "Some day when you grow lonely" part. It will be my gift to some girl I will court when I'll be rich. I will give her a cd with those 5 seconds of song.

Once again, those monkeys should be put to death, along with my neighbour bitch, who just slammed the door again. Death to all humans! Death to the majority of humans!

Then my gift to Fiona Apple is that I will go to her next live performance with a machine gun, and start shooting all those who yell like idiots. Damn monkeys.

Last edited:
Here's another nice lady, and no monkeys in the background:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh57sCPjtzw

I miss those years when being a well-mannered person was the norm. Nowadays being an animal is fashionable. May most humans be exterminated or segregated away from me. And may the "day after" look like this, with just me and my lady, and everyone else wiped out:

Last edited:
Re: work ahead and schedule

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA6ulKFXiTA

I am going to divide the remaining work and decide which phase should come first.

1) tomorrow (sunday, may 29th): write 46*4=184 links on "n3s" sheet

DONE [written later]

2) tomorrow and next week's weekdays: finish collecting the codes on the new "el" sheet

DONE with 60 of the 120 [written later] - will finish by next Sunday

3) next week and weekend: write the 46 * 2 (entry and exit) = 92 sub procedures in the 16 vba modules of the 16 symbols. Due to economies of scale, it should be done one module at a time. But it doesn't have to be done in the weekend, because you can always save the new modules during the weekdays and then in the weekend replace those in the original file with the ones you worked on.

4) once you're done with all of the above, you have to work on the 46 groups of functions on "ON" sheet (and the triggering code on ThisWorkbook). This is too dangerous and confusing to do all at once, because it's similar to learning spanish and italian at once - very hard to not confuse the two - in this case 46 different systems. So this should be done slowly. However it can only be done in the weekends, because you have to work on the original file. But the weekends are far apart, so before you start trading all systems it would take you 2 more months if you plan to put them online all at once.

Hmm, no, wait.... you should be able to do about 10 systems per weekend and so in 5 weekends you should be done with all. Nonetheless it makes sense to enable them a few at a time, so you can get them trading faster and see if there's any problems. So you work on 10 systems per weekend, and then right away (during the weekend) you also place their triggers on ThisWorkbook. Everything should be finished by the end of June, but you should be able to see some trades from the new systems as soon as two weeks from now.

One month is a long time, but if you go any faster, you could make mistakes.

After You've Gone
Marion Harris
Fiona Apple

These damn humans/monkeys who are shouting while she sings really bother me.

With step #2 I am at 79 systems done. Today I have worked on 19 of them, despite all the macro timing work.

I think I will do another 10 on each weekday of this week, and finish thing thing by Sunday by all means. Provided I don't die.

Then I have to face #3. I want to do that whole task within the next weekend. Then the only thing from my new systems and trading is the functions grouped on "ON" sheet. That will be very tough, but I don't have to do them all at once. As I do those, I also need to enable the entries. And I can only do that part in the weekends. Come on, another few efforts and I am done. By next Monday, it will all be downhill.

Tonight I will have problems sleeping so i might as well start writing now and vent out some frustrations.

Not much new. Nothing new. Let's try to make a list:

1) boss
2) work in general
3) taxi driver today put me in a bad mood
4) one more colleague I disliked today (on top of the usual ones)
5) some colleagues I liked whom I started disliking today
6) some concern about the speed of excel with all those new systems added
7) some (usual) concerns about superior entities I cannot mention
8) other concern I don't want to mention
9) for now I can't list anything else

Good things:

1) nice song playing right now on my winamp:

I am going to dedicate this song to myself.

2) I have some cigarettes to smoke, which is always good.
3) my bank account has got some money, I mean it's in the red, but not by much
4) I will get paid some money this month (on top of my banking salary)
5) I lost some kilos thanks to not eating (i don't believe in exercise) and now I am almost in perfect shape
6) I got along with cab driver on the way back
7) my colleague agreed with me when I said the boss is an idiot - he's sympathetic with my crusade against his ineptitude and he's the most diplomatic colleague I have, so that must mean the boss is a real idiot
8) the cleaning lady is doing a good job at buying milk and at not destroying the house
9) I bought a new efficient braun electric toothbrush super-mega-pulsating-rotating...

It's useless to keep this list going forever, because I am totally depressed. The good 9 points do not matter much. Hmm... or maybe they do. Let's say that I don't feel like jumping out of the window today.

Oh, and I was forgetting: I slept well well well. And I've slept over 8 hours for the past 3 days. This is very rare. Very good.

Maybe there's a trend reversal in my sleeping habits. Or maybe I am subconsciously relaxed because the trading gets better and better and, if everything goes as I'm expecting, I will make more from trading than from my banking salary soon. So this gives me confidence, despite the daily arguments with the boss at work, or rather: the arguments happen because I don't care about getting fired.

And despite all this writing, I still haven't relaxed enough, not nearly enough to fall asleep in half an hour, when it will be time to do so.

Oh, how I'd like if someone strangled a couple of people in my black list. Like the neighbour bitch. And some other people at work, like half of the people on my floor.

Maybe it's time for some positive and uplifting song:

I dedicate this song to my systems:

With each trade your equity grows,
Tearing my fear apart...

Ok, I am done for today. I will try to fall asleep with the first wave of sleepiness. First I'll smoke a cigarette, then I'll start the systems, then I'll try to be swept away by the first wave of sleepiness.

If it doesn't work, I'll come back and write more, and I'll keep writing until I fall asleep. If necessary I'll get drunk, too.

Last edited:
back.

Damn. That was close. I was smoking on the porch, and i felt one of those uncontrollable urges to jump out, and I am on the sixth floor - I can't afford to do that. Anything is better, even drinking. I can't afford to jump out right now that the systems are doing so well.

I need these guys to calm me down, because I am on the verge of going crazy after six months of the kaizen continuous improvement bull**** team. They've caused me to lose my temper dozens of time. The idiot boss going after their ideas, and asking me to destroy my work of 4 years and yet maintain the same reliability... it's all driving me crazy. I might either jump out or throw him out of the window...

It's dangerous stuff, losing your temper. Dangerous. I've never lost my temper like now. It used to happen once every 5 years and now it's happening almost every day. It's crazy!

Damn. I should sue them for harassing me with their continuous improvement bull****.

Today the boss told me "hey, what are you complaining about: I've simplified your stats by reducing the columns from 120 to 60...". You goddamn moron: in 4 hours you've destroyed my work of 4 years, by removing columns we needed and then you wonder why I now cannot deliver the same data?

How can I handle such a moron giving me orders? Oh god...!

Someone give me their sympathy quick.

Now I'm gonna get drunk. I need it.

Emotional roller-coaster. That's so unlike me. I want an even, smooth, regular life, and I am stuck with such a source of stress at work. The idiot. Damn. What an idiot. And the dude is in good faith: he really thought that by staying one day until 10 pm, he'd be able "to simplify my work" and help me. Then he got me at me because i was being "pretentious" and pretending to be "infallible". You bet, you moron, how can you - an idiot - fix my work of 4 years by reducing the columns from 120 to 60 in 4 hours? Damn. Man. So frustrating. It's like getting brain surgery performed by a monkey.

And these idiots are now patting each other on the back for the good results achieved! How stupid. They think they've simplified our work, reduced the processing time of Suspicious transactions reports... when instead there will be no stats from now on, because I can't do them, let alone them idiots. And the reports are being processed like crap. We improved quantity by a tiny bit, and totally threw quality down the toilet. This seems like berlusconi at work, with his dishonest tactics. And these idiots probably voted for him, too.

**** it - I won't even get drunk. I am even too depressed to get drunk. Takes too much work to open the bottle. But maybe, if I feel like jumping out of the window in the middle of the night, then I'll get drunk.

[...]

Ok, tell you what. I will use all my extra energies left, to finish that job of collecting codes of my systems. From now on I will try to accomplish something with my extra energies, something towards the task of trading systems, so that I will get out of the office faster... but how fast is faster? I have no idea, since my relatives say I can't quit my job unless I have 500k set aside. That won't happen any time soon. I need to get fired or else they won't approve of my choice. Or I need to come up with another way... of making money faster. We're going too slow.

Last edited:
It's working. Very well.

Working on the systems puts me to sleep really well, and it makes me feel good about myself. This should become even more of a fixation and a method of going to sleep. Working obsessively on my systems, to make them better all the time. This way I'll both improve them and fall asleep.

Ok, slept another 8 hours, even though I was woken up several times by the baby screaming, the other neighbour, on the other side.

ok, dude, I am back

I am back, after an awful day at work. The super-mega-director came and participated in the bull**** presentation organized by the kaizen continuous improvement dip****s.

My dip**** boss talked for 10 minutes and said how everything was wonderful. In the meanwhile i was chewing gum and drawing dicks on a piece of paper and pretending I was taking notes. In order not to laugh or scream with madness for what I was forced to hear.

Then the super-mega-director spoke and said "I see enthusiasm in you about this process", at which I almost laughed but I kept drawing dicks (figure of speech - I was drawing abstract lines). I wonder what the faces of my colleagues might have looked like. Mine was not one showing enthusiasm. Nobody said a word. If I had been asked anything I was ready to reply "not at all!", but they didn't ask me any direct questions, and so I was determined not to ruin their farce/comedy, and didn't interrupt his monologue.

Almost one hour of that crap. And then the nightmare was over. Nightmare of having to hear lies and say nothing about it, just because you're getting paid to obey and not raise objections. What a world, what a bank.

Anyway.

Now I am home, and I will play some music and go about assessing the performance of my excel macros, and checking how i can get them to run faster, in terms of functions especially and allocation of information and cells on different sheets. This is an unknown territory for me, but it's crucial as I prepare to bring my systems from 74 to 120.

I am going to post for the fourth time Fiona Apple's version of After You've Gone. Please ignore the monkeys screaming in the background:

Oh, and remember: the best part is "some day when you'll grow lonely" and "some day when you're downhearted".

[...]

I came back to edit this post and admit my defeat. Today, by being quiet with the super-mega-boss, when he said "i see great enthusiasm!" and he wasn't being ironic since the only one guy talking (my boss) was kissing up to him. I know no one expected me to say "what the hell are you talking about? I am not enthusiastic at all! I've been talking **** about this thing for 4 months!".

No one expected me to say it. However, I have been acting as if I were fearless for all these months, and then, in front of this guy, yes - no one dared to say anything and we weren't really asked for our opinion, but there were no objections from me. This means that I am not fearless and that I will not fight for the Truth until my death (being fired). So my limits were shown to everyone today. My sanity but also my limits. And I can no longer say jack**** now, because today I was quiet. I was largely defeated, by staying quiet (like everyone else). But I was defeated more than others because the others had surrendered from day one, and so today was really my own defeat, because, for the first time, I didn't say a word.

So yes, i can say I warned the boss as long as I want, and that I am a hard worker and I defended my work with great courage. But I cannot say that I am fearless and that I don't care about being fired or don't care about the consequences of arguing against the whole bank. So of course they are not going to say "oh, travis is a coward". But they might say "look, travis acts like he's a hero, and instead today, when things would have been too tough to handle, he kept quiet". And yes, I admit it: I was afraid of making a scene in front of all those people. I made scenes every other time, but these people were too much into their farce, too far into it (four months of this farce)... I knew I would not have been allowed to say anything against their comedy, and if i had, the super-mega-director would have told me something mean such as "we know about you...there's no need to repeat your opinion". I would have looked like a fool. But hey, it was a lose-lose situation. If I talked I would have looked like a fool. By not talking I looked incoherent and I am the one who chose this, by complaining too loudly in every other meeting. I should have been more quiet with the smaller bosses, and today I would have been fine. Instead my incoherence today was quite clear. I pretended I was lionheart and instead I was a sheep like everyone else, like a dog who barks a lot and then eventually runs away.

Yeah, bull****. I know i said this. But in reality I still think I am better than everyone else. But yes, I am not as good and virtuous as I thought.

DAMN! But I suck indeed. I feel bad, bad bad for not speaking out. Tell you what. To punish myself I will force myself to finish all the collection of codes by today. Then I'll feel better. Screw me and death to all humans.

Last edited:
Re: une déclaration, ma déclaration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt9lm1Bqvsc

HTML:
Private plngStart As Long
Private Declare Function timeGetTime Lib "winmm.dll" () As Long
Dim endtimer

Sub time_seconds()
plngStart = timeGetTime
copy_print
endtimer = (timeGetTime - plngStart)
MsgBox endtimer & " milliseconds "
End Sub

That's right, I wanted to time my moving averages ("copy_print") and I had to create a timer by making a declaration, my declaration... it was a private declaration ("Private Declare Function timeGetTime Lib "winmm.dll" () As Long").

Dude, this is great: you just stick your own macro in there (instead of "copy_print"), and have a little macro timer. Why?

I had to measure if certain changes (such as getting rid of decimals) would speed it up. Not only that: now i have a method of comparing my different computers and understanding why one computer is breathing heavy and the other one is not.

This is crucial now that I am going from 74 to 120 systems and everything will get heavier.

For your information, copy_print is a macro that... not one that calculates the average, which gets simply done by a function. Copy_print merely copies price from the tickers sheet and prints it every two minutes on the sheet shown in the pictures above. Since you have to keep running the averages all day long and each time a new price gets printed and the previous prices have to be copy/pasted one row higher, and since we have 16 symbols, you can image how tiring this thing gets for excel.

Here's what I found out: displaying the decimals for prices does not slow down almost at all the printing of the averages. And the printing itself takes a different effort and time depending on the computer:

1) this is the slowest one (I am surprised), my HP laptop, which takes 3 seconds:

View attachment 115152

I thought my laptop would be much faster than my pc, here at home, but it seems otherwise. Maybe my laptop is faster at everything else, for one reason or another. But it's not fast at macros. Or maybe my pc is fast, but it doesn't seem fast only because it starts breathing heavy (the fan and all that), so it keeps me from realizing that it actually is faster than a laptop which doesn't breathe heavy, maybe. Or maybe not and it's just fast at processing that macro, but not at everything else. Or then again, maybe I am being mislead by the noise it makes. Just because someone is breathing heavy and the other guy is quiet, you should not assume that the quiet guy is stronger. But with computers you do usually. If you hear one dude breathing heavily and the other one being quiet, you assume that the quiet dude can take a lot more work... whereas maybe the only reason is that one fan is louder than the other... you know what i mean? But you get alarmed by the loud fan... hmm, anyway.

2) here's my "HP small form factor" (that's what it's called), which takes 1.4 seconds:

View attachment 115154

3) and here's the best of them all, on which we run my systems, my HP server, taking 0.6 seconds, bought by my friend, who's a ISP, so he's a mega-expert at efficiency:

View attachment 115156

So I think we're ok. Barely, but we're ok. Because if the 120 systems can run here on my HP small form factor, which takes twice as long, then the HP server can definitely do the job as well.

I knew it!

I tested the moving averages macro ("copy_print"), and I don't know why it was faster on the HP small form factor, but it does take longer if you run it along with the rest of the macros and functions I use, in the middle of the automated systems workbook.

On HP laptop 6730B, it takes 18 seconds, whereas on HP small form factor it takes 27 seconds.

Now I have also found out that if I don't use the "ON" sheet with all the systems, laptop takes 10 seconds and the other one takes 14 seconds. Time gets cut by half if I don't use that damn sheet.

Which probably means that if I can find a way to copy the averages there once and for all, then things will get faster.

But even better: why don't I solve everything by changing the copy_print macro into one that doesn't even need to copy and print? That would be so much easier, and instead of taking 27 on small form factor, 18 seconds on laptop and probably 10 seconds on the HP server, then it would take no time at all almost, and I would have no problems to deal with, other than maybe ligten up the "ON" sheet.

I think I am capable of fixing this macro in a way that it just copies the values to the row below, and then I only need to find a way for moving averages to use prices that go lower and lower.

Let's focus on the logic of this.

I have price that gets printed, every 2 minutes, lower and lower:

So far so good.

I have an average that uses only the last 10 printed prices, from below up.

So far so good: I can do that as well, via a function, that is not as tiring as a macro.

The function will identify the last printed price on bottom, and once that is done, it will use as many cells as it needs.

Ok. I will do this. Big improvement for my workbook. It will take a few hours now.

This is very tough for me, because I had it all set up for years already. Now I have to change things because of the existing macros being cpu intensive.

Here's how i'll start:

HTML:
Sub copy_print2()
    On Error Resume Next
    Application.OnTime Now() + TimeValue("00:02:00"), "copy_print2"
    mav_line = 525 + written_lines
    ma.Cells(mav_line, 1) = Sheet1.Cells(12, 20)
    ma.Cells(mav_line, 2) = Sheet1.Cells(13, 20)
    ma.Cells(mav_line, 3) = Sheet1.Cells(14, 20)
    ma.Cells(mav_line, 4) = Sheet1.Cells(15, 20)
    ma.Cells(mav_line, 5) = Sheet1.Cells(16, 20)
    ma.Cells(mav_line, 6) = Sheet1.Cells(17, 20)
    ma.Cells(mav_line, 7) = Sheet1.Cells(18, 20)
    ma.Cells(mav_line, 8) = Sheet1.Cells(19, 20)
    ma.Cells(mav_line, 9) = Sheet1.Cells(20, 20)
    ma.Cells(mav_line, 10) = Sheet1.Cells(21, 20)
    ma.Cells(mav_line, 11) = Sheet1.Cells(22, 20)
    ma.Cells(mav_line, 12) = Sheet1.Cells(23, 20)
    ma.Cells(mav_line, 13) = Sheet1.Cells(24, 20)
    ma.Cells(mav_line, 14) = Sheet1.Cells(25, 20)
    ma.Cells(mav_line, 15) = Sheet1.Cells(26, 20)
    ma.Cells(mav_line, 16) = Sheet1.Cells(27, 20)
    ma.Cells(mav_line, 17) = Now
    written_lines = written_lines + 1
End Sub

It's still called "copy_print" even though it doesn't have that purpose anymore.

Yep. That's it, guys.

The previous macro was taking from 10 seconds on hp server to 30 seconds on hp small form factor. This one takes about 40 milliseconds. I think we can say that this is going to be my new moving average macro, for sure.

This is my plan. However, it will take a while to do this thing properly. I can just retire the previous moving average overnight and leave my systems disbanded.

First I'll have to finish what I've been doing. And then I will focus on creating a whole new sheet with a whole new moving average calculation method.

It will be simple: this new macro just prints prices line after line. It could also count the line by printing it somewhere, actually this is better so i can start the sytems mid-day and excel will still know at what line to start.

Then i need a function... no wait: even better, that line printed somewhere will also tell me which one is the last line, which in turn will tell me where my moving averages should start their calculations. Perfect. We don't need anything else, not even a fancy function.

Another thing i was noticing is that - I am measuring the time the macro takes to execute - and it lists these times:

It can't be a coincidence and I looked it up, and it turns out there's a "windows system timer maximum resolution" that goes in steps of 10 to 15 milliseconds, and such. In other words, your clock is not counting the milliseconds at all, even though you have this illusion, by using the function timeGetTime Lib "winmm.dll", or whatever it is. Here's the deal:
http://www.google.it/search?q=windo...rtPage=1&redir_esc=&ei=1yrlTdKvN4Xz-ga_x8HnBg

Anyway, for today I am done on this moving average thing. I will finish the other work and save this thing for the weekend. Of course it also means that I have to postpone the other tasks i had in mind for this weekend. However, this is crucial. I can't start any more systems until I have figured out how to bring the calculation of my moving averages from 10 seconds to just about 50 milliseconds. It is indeed a big deal. Think about it: it could be taking 0.5% of the time it's taking now. This the heaviest thing for my systems, and I can completely get rid of this burden. Unbelievable. Unbelievable that I didn't think of it before. Too busy working on quantity to focus on quality in such detail.

Last edited:
there's something special in the air...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQDHCyFe2rY

No ****. I am done with this huge task. Check it out:

Snap1.jpg

I wrote a whole bunch of useful and necessary details for every single one of the 120 systems. Dude. I really kick ass. Yeah, I know.

My next task is working on that new moving average. That's tomorrow and for the rest of my life until I am done with it. 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

best friends of the moment

Getting really to the bottom.

I was just clicking the adobe flash player update, which pops up once a week or so, and I realized I trust this dude, and rely on him to get the job done, like for many other dudes living in my computers.

Snap1.jpg

In many ways I am more attached to the features of programs and operating system than to people I know. Actually I get along better with them than with real people. Another big friend of mine is the "undo button".

I like a couple of cousins, and trust them, then there's my aunt. Then comes the "undo button". Of course my best friend would have to be excel. But not just any excel: excel 2003. Excel 2007 is the product of idiots. I want nothing to do with him.

Tomorrow I will go late, and they'll know why and they'll be ok most likely.

Today I had one meeting at 9.00, the usual "efficiency and continuous improvement meeting". Then I had another meeting at 11.00, with the super-mega-director. They both lasted one hour. I work six hours a day, and I spend one hour each day at meetings where they "teach" me how to be more efficient. Then today we had an extra meeting where everyone (except me and two others) was clapping hands at how efficient we had gotten - all pretense of course, because in fact we're going down, after all this... ah, forget it. I wrote enough about what's going on in our office.

I'll write until i'll fall asleep and then i'll sleep until i wake up. And I already turned my alarm off. For tonight there won't be any suicide either. I am saving it for more serious situations. Nor did I resort to drinking.

But insomnia is happening, again.

I am unhappy with my life, and the consequence is that i can't sleep. Very unhappy, very insomniac. And I am very unhappy.

Let's check out what the systems are doing.

Yeah, everything is running smoothly.

Now what do I write... I should post some videos, but I can't, for fear of waking the child next door.

I'll check my emails.

There's a problem constantly looming on me: my relationship with my father. It just came up to my mind again. I've never been happy with the way he's treated me, which is the same way he treats everyone. That's why they say "hey, he's just like that - don't take it personally". And he is rude, mean, scornful, fault-finder, unfriendly, and cold, and unsympathetic. That is how he is. Now I say: how can you ever get used to something like that? I didn't. I feel constantly hurt, even when he's not around, for the way he's treated me my whole life. How about if I told my relatives, the same people saying "he's just like that", if i told them "never mind that I spit on you when i meet you, and that I occasionally pull out a knife and stab you - it's just the way I am - don't take it personally". Emotionally speaking that's what he does, and I don't see how one could ever accept it. So that's a constant source of frustration. He doesn't change, and the frustration doesn't go away. He doesn't even apologize for it. It's a disaster.

One thing is to deal with strangers and acquaintances with the "that's just the way he is" attitude. Another thing is to do it with parents. I can't use it. Nor can I use it with my boss. And i've been growing more and more intolerant as time goes by.

So, what's next? What do I write and what do i think and what do i fall asleep thinking of?

i might be able to fall asleep within 5 minutes. It all depends what my subsconscious mind decides is the right thing to do. Stay up out of spite and go late to work? Or forget about it and go to sleep right now?

Maybe... yeah: there's been a tendency in me to grow more intolerant, but at the same time there's been less energy in me, and less energy also means less energy to fight. So on one hand, I get more intolerant and I'd like to put everyone to death. On the other hand, I say "forget it" and stop arguing. This is what may be causing my anger outbursts. I accumulate anger, because i am too tired to argue, and then I explode. I wish I could avoid, but you gotta go to work, so how do you avoid that? Impossible. I am stuck with an idiot boss, and I can't avoid him. I am stuck with these daily efficiency meetings which deny everything I believe in, and yet I have to listen for one hour a day stupid people saying harmful things and implementing harmful procedures for us.

How long more can I take this ordeal health-wise? How long more can my boss and colleagues take my complaining? I am the only left who's refused to be brainwashed into saying "yes, I agree - this kaizen method is very good, and you've performed miracles on our office". For this reason I am everyone's hero, since they think what I say, but don't dare to say it. But I not holding out for much longer. The brainwashing is working on me as well. If everyone else around you says that black is white and white is black, then you start wondering whether you're right or wrong. Whether maybe the world has changed, and the rules are simply reversed.

Today the boss told me basically this: yeah, you disagree, but this is just your opinion. It's not the "Truth" with a capital "T". And I said that of course for me what i think is indeed the "Truth" with the capital "T" or else I would not be speaking. And I added that if i do not hold the "Truth" than neither do they. What the boss doesn't understand is that if he reasons out with me, he loses, because 1) he is an idiot and is always wrong and 2) I just don't believe that "the boss is always right", and I'll keep on arguing until I will think I am right. Another story is if the boss told me "do this, do that". I obey orders, but I cannot be made to agree with unreasonable arguments. If you ask me what I think, then you're screwed, because you get me thinking. Being boss doesn't make your reasoning any better than being an employee. It's not like I have to agree because you're the boss.I have to obey, because you're the boss. But i don't have to agree. So give me more orders and ask me for less opinions and we'll get along. But since he's an idiot, he is insecure and he keeps on wanting to share the burden of responsiibility with me, then I disagree, and then he starts insulting me and trying to make me agree. There's no way out. We're incompatible. I've always been incompatible with idiots. I forgive you for anything, except lack of truth, reasoning, effort. You can be black, yellow, white. You can be rich, poor, young, old, tall, short, but if you don't make an effort to think and say something wrong, then I cannot accept it.

And as a boss, you're not entitled to have people agree with you. You can give me orders, but you cannot force me to agree with your stupid thoughts.

Ok, now I am ready to go to sleep. Let's hope there will be some solution to my problems and handling of the boss. Some solution other than getting fired or quitting my job. For tomorrow the first solution is to go late. If I am not there, I will get along with the boss.

Just a few more lines, before going to sleep.

random thoughts without punctuation

bad memories about school
bad memories about office
bad memories about parents

haunting me

bad memories about a bad life

no escape

no escape

waiting for some way out

for some reward after all this bad stuff i've taken

some vacation

some happiness