'Holy grail' - Is 300% a month good? Thats all i can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
malins- Your very opinionated, something which i'll bet wont serve you well trading.

Why am I? Because i'd listen to somebody working in the industry over somebody who is self taught? Why do you think exams and regulatory bodies exist? It's to make sure people are competant enough for they work they undertake. IMO you need to talk to the professionals if you want to gain a professional approach to trading.

Why am I? Because i'd listen to somebody working in the industry over somebody who is self taught? Why do you think exams and regulatory bodies exist? It's to make sure people are competant enough for they work they undertake. IMO you need to talk to the professionals if you want to gain a professional approach to trading.

Have you ever worked in The City or even met someone who does? If you had you'd probably have a bit of a different take on it....

Have you ever worked in The City or even met someone who does? If you had you'd probably have a bit of a different take on it....

Based on what?

If you have a sick pet you go to a vet.
If you want your car fixed you go to a mechanic.
If you're sick you go to a doctor.

Why is it that when it comes to trading everyone is level pegging and it's all even? You're all talking sh*t if that's what you think.

Last edited:

Although I am new to all this trading lark and am slowly learning about it all, I for one do not believe that good retail traders are less competent than those that work for large institutions. In fact quite the contrary. Those that are able to make a living out of trading, retail or otherwise have something to offer newbie's like myself.

My basis for this and to counter your argument is based upon my profession that I have made a more than handsome living out of for over 20 years. I get to work in many large institutions and my take on many of the 'professionals' in those institutions is that they are mediocre in the large part and generally have very little useful information to impart. Frequently they haven't a clue what they are talking about. I have worked with some highly paid and incredibly inept managers, engineers, designers, architects, etc etc who are shielded from the reality of having to make money or make a business truly work. I would be very careful to take their opinions on with regards to my full time occupation.

So by the same token I would not marginalise people on these boards purely because of some misguided notion that the institution they work for validates their ability to do a job well. The contrary is often the case.

I'm back... Was out with my mates wearing hoodies mugging people.

Now, I can believe that you have a successful system. I can almost believe that you are making 300%, and can very nearly believe that you have 100,000 something or others (maybe not pounds).

What I don't believe however is that you have any mates :)

Sorry, just kidding. Carry on with the entertainment.

Frequently they haven't a clue what they are talking about. I have worked with some highly paid and incredibly inept managers, engineers, designers, architects, etc etc

Okay that being said would you go to a professional architect and engineer if you wanted to build a house?

Okay that being said would you go to a professional architect and engineer if you wanted to build a house?

Absolutely, but I would not necessarily go to ones that work for large institutions. Often the freelancers are considerably better equipped to do the job than those that are institutionalised.

Based on what?

If you have a sick pet you go to a vet.
If you want your car fixed you go to a mechanic.
If you're sick you go to a doctor.

Why is it that when it comes to trading everyone is level pegging and it's all even? You're all talking sh*t if that's what you think.

I had a sick cat, I took it out to the shed and shot it, so f*ck the vet.
My car broke down, I bought a new one, so f*ck the mechanic.
I never get sick, only sick of people like you, so f*ck the doctor.

If you really think that the banks, hedge funds and prop firms are full of people who are in any way professional you are only deluding yourself. I spent enough time there to know that's simply not the case!

I had a sick cat, I took it out to the shed and shot it, so f*ck the vet.
My car broke down, I bought a new one, so f*ck the mechanic.
I never get sick, only sick of people like you, so f*ck the doctor.

If you really think that the banks, hedge funds and prop firms are full of people who are in any way professional you are only deluding yourself. I spent enough time there to know that's simply not the case!
Can't rep you again, but nice post :)

When it comes to skills that can be taught to degrees of measurable and examinable competence, yes, I’d agree with you. Doctors, vets, surgeons, architects – basically any Profession (with a capital ‘P’) where physical well-being, safety and health are involved. There are empirical skills to be learned and developed. There are key information, data, techniques, procedures and process to be committed to unconscious competence before rigorous exams and tests set forth the fully qualified individual on the unsuspecting public.

Trading falls outside of this definition. As do estate agents, human resources personnel, local through central government administration personnel, politicians, MBA trained management and any other figment of humanity that has managed to convince others their skills are key, valuable or even critical and the world would not exist for too long without them even though it did quite well before they invented themselves and will do so long after their various momentary existences have blinked out and commonsense once again invades the planet.

You can not teach trading. You can not confirm somebody’s ability to trade through tests, exams or even a trial period.

You can talk to professional traders sure, and you’ll get a professional trader’s views, outlooks, opinions and possibly even their prognostications, but you wont learn to trade. You’ll be none the wiser. As the ability to trade is not teachable. It is not learnable.

You can certainly study economics, econometrics, the markets, binds, options, futures, commodities, currencies and deeply complex and exotic admixtures and throw in some basic human cognitive psychology as well. All these things will certainly increase your knowledge and appreciation of what should, in theory, mean what to something else. You could possibly even pass some exams with sufficiently convincing grasp of all this excellent data. But it will not make you a trader.

Those who are good traders are simply good traders. Those who are bad traders are simply bad traders. Of the set of all traders currently trading, both types exist – in both professional and retail environments.

A few months with a professional will not definitely make you a good trader if you’re not already in possession of the skills, attributes, intelligence and inherent abilities necessary to be a good trader. 5 minutes accidental exposure to just one risible retail trader’s posts on these boards will not turn you into a good trader if you’re a bad trader. But there’s no guarantee it wont either.

I’m not saying there aren’t professional traders who are good traders and will continue to do well. There are. But certainly nowhere near 100% of them. I’m not saying the majority of members of this board are bad traders, or even ever trade at all, but there are some that do and have done for sufficiently long enough to know the deal and for others to recognise that they do.

I wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to spend time with a professional trader if he/she were a good trader. Neither would I do so for the retail variety that feature largely here. But you need to be clear what you want to do, because if you have the possibility of being a good trader you need to find out which side of the ‘hedge’ you want to work. Professional traders have quite different capabilities and constraints to us little retail boys and girls. Not better nor worse on balance as it happens, but a very different perspective, a very different agenda and additional complications and corporate and financial politics which a retailer is free from. They also get opportunities in terms of cost of trading and trading size which few retail-side traders could even dream of. A different world each to the other. And I stress, neither is better or worse than the other. But if you’re going to trade, and if you’re good, you’ll need to consider carefully which world you want to trade in as I know of none that have successfully transitioned the gap.

When it comes to skills that can be taught to degrees of measurable and examinable competence, yes, I’d agree with you. Doctors, vets, surgeons, architects – basically any Profession (with a capital ‘P’) where physical well-being, safety and health are involved. There are empirical skills to be learned and developed. There are key information, data, techniques, procedures and process to be committed to unconscious competence before rigorous exams and tests set forth the fully qualified individual on the unsuspecting public.

Trading falls outside of this definition. As do estate agents, human resources personnel, local through central government administration personnel, politicians, MBA trained management and any other figment of humanity that has managed to convince others their skills are key, valuable or even critical and the world would not exist for too long without them even though it did quite well before they invented themselves and will do so long after their various momentary existences have blinked out and commonsense once again invades the planet.

You can not teach trading. You can not confirm somebody’s ability to trade through tests, exams or even a trial period.

You can talk to professional traders sure, and you’ll get a professional trader’s views, outlooks, opinions and possibly even their prognostications, but you wont learn to trade. You’ll be none the wiser. As the ability to trade is not teachable. It is not learnable.

You can certainly study economics, econometrics, the markets, binds, options, futures, commodities, currencies and deeply complex and exotic admixtures and throw in some basic human cognitive psychology as well. All these things will certainly increase your knowledge and appreciation of what should, in theory, mean what to something else. You could possibly even pass some exams with sufficiently convincing grasp of all this excellent data. But it will not make you a trader.

Those who are good traders are simply good traders. Those who are bad traders are simply bad traders. Of the set of all traders currently trading, both types exist – in both professional and retail environments.

A few months with a professional will not definitely make you a good trader if you’re not already in possession of the skills, attributes, intelligence and inherent abilities necessary to be a good trader. 5 minutes accidental exposure to just one risible retail trader’s posts on these boards will not turn you into a good trader if you’re a bad trader. But there’s no guarantee it wont either.

I’m not saying there aren’t professional traders who are good traders and will continue to do well. There are. But certainly nowhere near 100% of them. I’m not saying the majority of members of this board are bad traders, or even ever trade at all, but there are some that do and have done for sufficiently long enough to know the deal and for others to recognise that they do.

I wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to spend time with a professional trader if he/she were a good trader. Neither would I do so for the retail variety that feature largely here. But you need to be clear what you want to do, because if you have the possibility of being a good trader you need to find out which side of the ‘hedge’ you want to work. Professional traders have quite different capabilities and constraints to us little retail boys and girls. Not better nor worse on balance as it happens, but a very different perspective, a very different agenda and additional complications and corporate and financial politics which a retailer is free from. They also get opportunities in terms of cost of trading and trading size which few retail-side traders could even dream of. A different world each to the other. And I stress, neither is better or worse than the other. But if you’re going to trade, and if you’re good, you’ll need to consider carefully which world you want to trade in as I know of none that have successfully transitioned the gap.

So, you're saying some people just can't be taught (y)
Cracking good post though I don't agree with everything in it :)
Richard

So, you're saying some people just can't be taught (y)
Cracking good post though I don't agree with everything in it :)
Richard
Even the greatest trading teacher in the entire history of the Universe could not make a good trader out of an individual who was inherently incapable of being a good trader.

We could really screw this thread up be developing sensible and potentially useful discussion so unless you seek to incur the wrath of the mods in taking this one wildly off topic, I suggest we quickly and quietly go back to our warrens .

Of course, you could always take the ultimate challenge of selecting the most obvious candidate from this thread and working your magic on them, but I suspect that would only serve to underline my point.

So would you say that great traders are born .... not made?

Do people with the right aforementioned attributes discover their abilities over time, or would you say that the skill is apparent from the get go?

As a struggling trader still searching for consistency, I find your comments a bit disheartening

Even the greatest trading teacher in the entire history of the Universe could not make a good trader out of an individual who was inherently incapable of being a good trader.

Agreed

We could really screw this thread up be developing sensible and potentially useful discussion so unless you seek to incur the wrath of the mods in taking this one wildly off topic, I suggest we quickly and quietly go back to our warrens .

Also agreed, I really don't think you or I should have a sensible discussion about this; there is no point in trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear or try to stimulate any constructive contribution from certain protagonists.

Of course, you could always take the ultimate challenge of selecting the most obvious candidate from this thread and working your magic on them, but I suspect that would only serve to underline my point.

I gave up on alchemy before I even started.

Socco would have had a lot to say, however.

Socco would have had a lot to say, however.

I tied him to his chair, and I put a sticking plaster across his mouth and I put a paper bag over his head.

From Mr Socco's classic post describing the punishment metred out to an unsuitable student.

Sounds like a very good way of dealing with one or two people on this thread, although I'd substitute a plastic bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.