Dow 2007

Whichever Tom likes to do, it apparently hasn't made him much money last week. Quote:
"I got absolutely killed on a trade Thursday, involving trading the spread between the DAX and the FTSE. In a nutshell I wanted the FTSE to rally and the DAX to decline. Instead the DAX rallied (a lot) and the FTSE did f*** all."

Bit strange for somebody who claims to "know the intra-day turns in advance!!!" :rolleyes: I suspect the paying subscribers will have made up for his loss :LOL:

His "market maps" apparently didn't work yesterday neither (first chart in blue = his prediction, other chart = what really happened).

:LOL:

Hope you enjoyed your drink last night.

i think tuesday i am going to short the market. i think we might see a bit of profit-taking after the hols... :)

Entry criteria and confirmation signals please. My advice would be to be rather cautious with this, set a tight stop, and don't short until a 2 hour bar closes on the other side of the uptrendline which has been in force for over a month. We touched it the other day, but didn't break it.

Be careful.

...sorry, i am slightly new to this. i was going to open a position on the dow september contract (just in case it all goes horribly wrong). probably £2 per point, sell at 13520.

Some considerations (and a small essay)

...sorry, i am slightly new to this. i was going to open a position on the dow september contract (just in case it all goes horribly wrong). probably £2 per point, sell at 13520.

Hi free4440273. Thank you for your reply. I think it would help all of us if you could post your the following:

<> your reason for using the September future. The current front month is June. You are likely to experience less liquidity on a distant contract. You should trade the front month unless you have a good reason not to. (you say just in case it goes horribly wrong. My advice would be that if a trade goes horribly wrong, exit it, preferably at a predetermined loss level. I would not recommend holding it for another 4 months!) The market can always come back, but it can take years, or it may never happen. Consider if you had bought near the top of the dot-com bubble. If you had a Buffet sized bank account and wanted to hold, you'd be exiting at breakeven about now, 5 years or so on!

<> It is good you have a price level in mind. Why this price? Why a short? What combination of indicators, oscillators, tape reading, price action, volume, fundamentals, gut instinct, logic and hope led you to that decision.

<> Why £2pp? Is this because you have a stoploss X pips away, and your maximum risk per trade is 2X? Do you intend to add to your position if the market moves in your favour? Will you exit your position at once, or scale out buy buying £1pp at differing prices (to lock in profits).

<>Where is your stoploss and why? Will you move it to breakeven? Will you use a trailing stop?

<>Under what conditions will you exit - a fixed profit, trailing stop, a hunch, break of a trendline, indicator setting

<> If you know your profit target and stoploss, calculate your risk:reward. Is it favourable to you? Why?

This looks like a lot, but I would respectfully suggest that it is imperative to know this (and write it down in plain sight) before entering a trade. If you are new to trading, the following may also apply

<>Why spreadbetting?
<>Why the Dow?
<>How long will you hold a position?
<>What is your risk tolerance.
<>How much do you know and understand about the Dow.

A final warning. You may well catch a good short. However, we appear to be in a bull exhaustion phase right now, and it is not a good time to be short. I have been burned badly being short, and many more experienced traders than I have booked a few hundred pips loss being on the wrong side of this move. I'm going to post a chart I sent in the other night. (link to it, I don't have the original) You will notice that price respects these trendlines, and the trendlines have been effective for around a month on the 1 hour bar. I would not consider a short until a 2 hour bar closes below the lower trendline, but that is my opinion.

I would consider that a move north, a new high, and perhaps contact with the upper trendline in the channel is more likely than a short based on the phase of the market, some economic fundamentals, and the technical analysis. Again, it is your decision, but if this post makes you question your reasoning to the extent you can explain fully to yourself why you are taking this trade, I will be quite happy.

Welcome to T2W, and I wish you all the best with your trading. I hope I've not bombarded you with too many suggestions and unsolicited advice. I am a new trader myself (6 months, SB, index futures), and have made many mistakes. I would hope to be able to point new traders in a better direction so as not to repeat my mistakes.

Cheers

Lurker

I was going to ask if you have a reason for this, other than just a feeling (which basically means a gamble) that traders are going to take profit after a holiday weekend?

Then I just noticed Lurker's "some considerations" post which basically covers everything I was going to ask you so I'll leave it up to you two to dig deeper!

PS: @ Lurker: you are definitely on the right path, cheers on the excellent post. I'll be out of a job here soon :)

I was going to ask if you have a reason for this, other than just a feeling (which basically means a gamble) that traders are going to take profit after a holiday weekend?

Then I just noticed Lurker's "some considerations" post which basically covers everything I was going to ask you so I'll leave it up to you two to dig deeper!

PS: @ Lurker: you are definitely on the right path, cheers on the excellent post. I'll be out of a job here soon :)

Thanks - it's nice to know. No intention of taking over your job, and I don't think I am quite qualified to do that just yet. However, I'd like to give something back in the way of valuable contributions and assistance. Your job here can be to help me for awhile if you like! (I'm still in some need of it, although it is nice to know I am progressing)

Cheers!

you are both right; i am quite new to this and probably a little (lot?) naive. give me some time to try and answer the questions in depth later on please. in the meantime:
£2 is all i can realistically afford (given the 'absurd' 500x NTR)
I want to trade the September contract because June is near the end and if i make mistakes i will have no choice but to take a loss.

Regarding the liquidity on the September contract, I thought all the futures contracts were in syn with each other. for example, if the day Dow cash rises 100 points, then the June/September/December contracts also follow in a repeated fashion (for example 100/120/130 points).

Is it naive to trade on realistic highs and lows? i am shorting the Dow because even if it does attempt to reach 14000, won't there be some profit-taking at this juncture (13500 is a near time high already?) thanks for all your help. :)

I want to trade the September contract because June is near the end and if i make mistakes i will have no choice but to take a loss.

this sentance alone gives me concern.....I suggest you half your stake and and consider that as tuition fees...there is no reason why the market cannot go higher all the way till September and you will face dreaded margin calls that will make a loss seem like spare change......I have known many traders who have blown their accounts believing the market can't or should be doing this or that.......

Take it one step at a time and don't be afraid to take a loss...the first loss is the cheapest........

You are correct in that if the Dow moves up 100 pts all derived contracts should move in synch
Good luck

2468steve, thanks for your help. i am going to take your advice. i will go short at £1 per point. i am not clued up on the technicalities of all this, as you guys seem to be, as you can probably tell! have a good bank holiday. :)

Anyone survive the Bank Holiday ?
struggling at ~ +25 points and could then come down ??

Anyone survive the Bank Holiday ?
struggling at ~ +25 points and could then come down ??

Seems like a lot of people still asleep.
I was up already this am trading DAX... taking longs (very predictable I suppose), but narrow range so far.

13530 on cash being a bit stubborn if we can go through this then should be ok for 13440.

Just guessing but I think we may be on different time frames ??
I am looking about 2 hours ahead maybe shorter .