Diary of a swing spread better

Sold to close HBOS at 961.5 at 0825 this morning. +25.5 points. I must say that I was a bit disappointed last night to come home and find that the price had hardly moved. Neither did I like the new pattern that was forming (a down candle) which,I thought, might mean that it could go down to form a double bottom before it went up again.

However, all turned out well.

Split

Splitlink said:
Sold to close HBOS at 961.5 at 0825 this morning. +25.5 points. I must say that I was a bit disappointed last night to come home and find that the price had hardly moved. Neither did I like the new pattern that was forming (a down candle) which,I thought, might mean that it could go down to form a double bottom before it went up again.

However, all turned out well.

Split

Well done, Split!. I am tempted to take profit with MKS as well. But will see how it goes till the end of this week.

My limit buy order on PRU was just filled as the 666 level is reached. And I am three points better off.

Almost everything else in my long list went up this morning. This bull is seeing red.

Attachments

• long list.jpg
    long list.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 157
Bought to open HBOS for 958.4 stop 950. The price has drifted back to the point where the gap ended , penetrated a little bit and returned to the higher level. I have taken this as a signal that the gap will not be filled. Right or wrong? Have to go out in thirty minutes so will watch it until then .

Split

Hungvir,

Do you get your monitor via ADVFN on a free subscription or are you paying for it?

Every time I try to look at it (ADVFN's monitor), it keeps redrecting me to 'Your current UK session has expired'.

Cheers

jezza888 said:
Hungvir,

Do you get your monitor via ADVFN on a free subscription or are you paying for it?

Every time I try to look at it (ADVFN's monitor), it keeps redrecting me to 'Your current UK session has expired'.

Cheers

Hi Jezza888

I am thinking of upgrading to their Silver package. It will set me back 130 pounds a year though.

At the moment, I have the same problem as you. They say it depends on how many free users are online at the same time. The more people there're, the shorter time you have.

But I do my analysis end of day most of the time and 130 quids may be better spent elsewhere. Have you tried digitallook? I assume they have live prices as well. Just that I don't like the look and feel of their charting.

Happy trading,

Hung

hungvir said:
Hi Jezza888

I am thinking of upgrading to their Silver package. It will set me back 130 pounds a year though.

At the moment, I have the same problem as you. They say it depends on how many free users are online at the same time. The more people there're, the shorter time you have.

But I do my analysis end of day most of the time and 130 quids may be better spent elsewhere. Have you tried digitallook? I assume they have live prices as well. Just that I don't like the look and feel of their charting.

Happy trading,

Hung

Cheers Hungvir,

I've only started recently looking at swing trading UK stocks as I primarily day trade currencies. I'm not looking to pay £130 as yet but knowing its not just me and there are opportunities to view the monitor occasionally!

I'll take a look at digitallook though cheers. Have you tried moneyAM? I signed up earlier but still not received my login details so they aren't looking to great at the moment!

Jezza

jezza888 said:
Cheers Hungvir,

I've only started recently looking at swing trading UK stocks as I primarily day trade currencies. I'm not looking to pay £130 as yet but knowing its not just me and there are opportunities to view the monitor occasionally!

I'll take a look at digitallook though cheers. Have you tried moneyAM? I signed up earlier but still not received my login details so they aren't looking to great at the moment!

Jezza

Haven't tried moneyAM. But there're many others as well I believe. And Yahoo seems to have a good service as well.

Best,

Hung

hungvir said:
Haven't tried moneyAM. But there're many others as well I believe. And Yahoo seems to have a good service as well.

Best,

Hung

Yahoo! is good, but just watch the highs and lows they quote on the historical data. I find there is some discrepancy here - apparently they calculate it in a different way. ;)

jezza888 said:
Cheers Hungvir,

Jezza

Jezza

Just a thought, but you can get one weeks free intraday data from ProRealTime. They do it as a free trial - short term solution I know - but it's a start.

Both DigitalLook and Yahoo are slightly delayed on their intraday quotes. How much this will matter will depend on what happening on the markets and what stocks you're trading. It may be ok for what you want. For what I do, I need to have real time quotes.

JillyB said:
Yahoo! is good, but just watch the highs and lows they quote on the historical data. I find there is some discrepancy here - apparently they calculate it in a different way. ;)

And the same discrepancy can happen with ADVFN as well.

How are you, Jilly?! How's dancing helping you with trading I am curious :)

Best,

Hung

Both PRU and MKS are still doing fine. Will take profit on MKS when RSI registers strong overbought next. And I'll stick with rolling contracts from now on. Bye bye futures for now.

Looking at the new gap by LSE, I suspect that it will be half-filled as well. But I'll watch it only. Too volatile for a risk profile of 25 point something like mine.

Sleep tight!

Hung

Attachments

• mks.jpg
    mks.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 152
  • pru.jpg
    pru.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 152
  • lse two gaps.jpg
    lse two gaps.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 156
hungvir said:
And the same discrepancy can happen with ADVFN as well.

How are you, Jilly?! How's dancing helping you with trading I am curious :)

Best,

Hung

Hi Hung,

I'm fine. Actually the dancing wasn't helping with the trading too much at all, as in the last few weeks before the big night, we were practising every evening. This meant I would miss the evening session of the Dow and with it quite a few trades. :cry:

Anyway we're back to normal now. Practice nights limited to Tuesdays and Fridays - Rumba and quickstep at the moment. ;)

Decided to short HBOS this morning. Nothing much going on, though. S/O at 960.5

Jilly, don't forget that Darvas made a fortune.

Split

Yes, and that's when $2million really was something!

I've started looking at applying the boxes to UK shares to see what happens. Just doing this on paper at the moment. If you're interested I can post what I've found, so far 7 shares broke through their Darvas box yesterday and there are another 20 with boxes formed.

Hi Jilly,

I hope we'll see a million dollar dancer here soon enough :)

To be honest, I find day trading quite distressing. If I were you I would find dancing as a way to relax and enjoy this life a bit more :)

By the way, it's great to have you here on T2W. The place is more exciting for sure! I suspect you're among a very few female traders on this board (if there're any others:)).

If you think of venturing into share trading, again I highly recommend 'Marc Rivalland on Swing Trading' book. His swing trading methods including the use of point and figure charting have a lot in common with Darvas' box theory.

And this looks like a good time to be in the market. But make sure your stop losses are in place and being trailed frequently :)

Best,

Hung

Hi Hung,

Thanks for that. Yes, dancing is very relaxing and a lot of fun. We have a great group of social dancers here on the Island and there is always something going on.

The only other female trader I know on the T2W site is Racer (Legendary Mummy Bear) who, I believe, keeps the South West traders in order.

I did used to trade UK shares and really reasonably well. As I SB I chose ones with a value over 500 so I could get some movement out of them. Last year I did very well with GNK, both going long and short on it - I think it was about May time - if my memory serves me correct. I traded quite a few others too, targeting dividend days when the price dropped following the dividend. It wasn't fool proof, but it went really quite well.

Mind you I didn't know as much then, as I do now, so perhaps I should revisit what I used to do and look at it with a fresh pair of eyes to see what I make of it now. I feel some research coming on. :LOL: