Diary of a swing spread better

JillyB said:
Yes, and that's when $2million really was something!

I've started looking at applying the boxes to UK shares to see what happens. Just doing this on paper at the moment. If you're interested I can post what I've found, so far 7 shares broke through their Darvas box yesterday and there are another 20 with boxes formed.

Is this for short term trading or longer term investing? Short term I stick to FT100. The others seem to have spreads that I don't like too much, probably because the trading is thinner, The Darvas system is a version of the double bottom trend change system, isn't it? I use that for investing longer term, i.e. actually buying shares, but the fundamentals have got to be good, too!

Split

This is one of those days. I'm down 0.3 of a point on HBOS. Will, probably, close it out within an hour. Yesterday I had a stop on at 950 and It triggered before going up. If I had had no stop I would still be long.Instead, I reversed, with no stop, yet, and no profit, either.

Split

Splitlink said:
Is this for short term trading or longer term investing? Short term I stick to FT100. The others seem to have spreads that I don't like too much, probably because the trading is thinner, The Darvas system is a version of the double bottom trend change system, isn't it? I use that for investing longer term, i.e. actually buying shares, but the fundamentals have got to be good, too!

Split

Depends on your definition of short term trading - I'm looking at the end of day data, so it's certainly going to be a case of holding them for a few days, weeks, maybe even a month. This will all depend on the darvas theory and seeing how this works with the shares.

For instance yesterday IMT moved up outside it's previous range of 1745/1665(taken from ProReal Time EOD data, however CMC has the range as 1734/1665) and is now trading nicely above that. It seems that from here I can look to form another Darvas box built on top of the existing one, which is what I'm going to do. I'm going to follow this through on paper to see what happens.

Based on ProRealTime eod we have the following additional breakouts.

RB. 2139/2016 Broke below 2016
ETI 947.5/915.5 Broke above 947.5
PSON 790/762 Broke above 790
EMG 2617/2427 Broke above 2617
PSN 1365.5/1268 Broke above 1365.5
AVZ 562.5/519.5 Broke above 562.5

Long DOW

The DOW's been having a roller coaster ride today. Decided to go long where the red circle is as the short term trend is up. Mental stop loss is where the red horizontal line is.

Attachments

• dow undecided.jpg
    dow undecided.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 149
  • long.jpg
    long.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 153
It wen up a bit but Fins' quote is no where near the actual price. The market is at 11358 and their is 11351. I can only assume that they have more people shorting the DOW than longing it.

Attachments

• uup.jpg
    uup.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 127
  • fins.jpg
    fins.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 140
Decided to close the trade for just two points. Feeling uneasy as Fins' price is quite different from the market. Should have taken profit earlier when I was 11 points up.

Attachments

• should have.jpg
    should have.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 122
hungvir said:
Decided to close the trade for just two points. Feeling uneasy as Fins' price is quite different from the market. Should have taken profit earlier when I was 11 points up.

Don't be so hard on yourself - a profit is a profit! Better 2 points in your pocket than theirs. :D

I was long on the Dow at the open and scalped 5 points, then watched it go down and got back in again to go up. My trading plan had it to go up to the high of yesterday and above (it just didn't say by how much!). Great day though! :cheesy:

So I have been working for Finspread for a while now :) Each time I trade they make 8 points. This is outrageous but they're the only one having the system that meets my needs. CMC spreads are better but they don't take orders based on market price.

JillyB said:
Don't be so hard on yourself - a profit is a profit! Better 2 points in your pocket than theirs. :D

I was long on the Dow at the open and scalped 5 points, then watched it go down and got back in again to go up. My trading plan had it to go up to the high of yesterday and above (it just didn't say by how much!). Great day though! :cheesy:

Thanks, Jilly.

I know I should not day trade but I just can't help not to.

Glad to hear you've been having a good trading day!

H

The market continues to go up but I have no regret. I have to think about the way Fins prices the DOW.

RSI is working well today, twice picking the 'bottom'.

Attachments

• shake out rsi.jpg
    shake out rsi.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 161
I am also thinking of fiddling with the system I am using. Marc Rivalland says wait for three down days to buy (when the price starts to go up after that) in a bull market but I think a modification to just two down days in a roaring bull market like we're seeing now may be more suitable. Three down days are hard to find when people are so bullish.

Last edited:
Having said that, I missed a crucial trigger for Man Group while on holiday. The share fell for three days and went up on April 13. Could have made nearly 150 points with that trade.

Attachments

• man.jpg
    man.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 167
And a 'mysterious' person has rated me five star. Thank you! That's very kind of YOU.

JillyB said:
Depends on your definition of short term trading - I'm looking at the end of day data, so it's certainly going to be a case of holding them for a few days, weeks, maybe even a month. This will all depend on the darvas theory and seeing how this works with the shares.

For instance yesterday IMT moved up outside it's previous range of 1745/1665(taken from ProReal Time EOD data, however CMC has the range as 1734/1665) and is now trading nicely above that. It seems that from here I can look to form another Darvas box built on top of the existing one, which is what I'm going to do. I'm going to follow this through on paper to see what happens.

Based on ProRealTime eod we have the following additional breakouts.

RB. 2139/2016 Broke below 2016
ETI 947.5/915.5 Broke above 947.5
PSON 790/762 Broke above 790
EMG 2617/2427 Broke above 2617
PSN 1365.5/1268 Broke above 1365.5
AVZ 562.5/519.5 Broke above 562.5

Thanks for the info, but I'll need to study it on the weekend- I come home really bushed at night!
Long term, for me, is various months when holding shares. For trading, for me short term would mean under a few days.

Split

Not much movement in the DOW in the last hour. Same old story about decreasing volatility.

Attachments

• dow end of day.jpg
    dow end of day.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 142
Stop moaning, Hung, I know you're minting it! :cool:

My short HBOS is just in profit by a few points.

Split

FTSE looking firm and, as HBOS could break through resistance, I closed with loss of 4.9

Split

Splitlink said:
Stop moaning, Hung, I know you're minting it! :cool:

My short HBOS is just in profit by a few points.

Split

I did not mean to :) But not making a lot of money in this market seems like a joke, isn't it.

I would refrain from shorting in this market. A better time will come before autumn I believe.

Later,

Hung

Yes, it looks as if you are right on both counts. Take care this afternoon with the Dow. I'm off trading until Monday. Tomorrow, I have a 5 year old grandson's birhday. Expensive and exhausting- just like the markets. He knows what he wants and has rung up and told us. :eek:

Split