Diary of a swing spread better

Splitlink said:
Great news! 500 quid? Money well spent. Don't think you've stopped paying, though. It just cost me 107 € to renew my passport. I used to go to Chessington- nice place. Have a good weekend.

Split

And I was quite lucky to escape new regulations requiring people to learn how to be British :) A saving of about 50 quids and some hours of preparation.

Enjoy your weekend!

Hung

Came home to see the DOW having dropped some 80 points and trying to head up. I have no idea where it's going to go next. A buy when the trend line was broken would have brought in around 20 points.

Will have to go to work now and my daughter keeps saying 'Daddy, let me have a go please!' while am typing this.

Later,

Hung

Attachments

• dow.jpg
    dow.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 161
Long the DOW as price broke out of the channel, risking 15 points.

Attachments

• fins buy order.jpg
    fins buy order.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 154
  • dow.jpg
    dow.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 151
Some people saw the up move as a chance to short and there're obviously people hunting for stops.

Attachments

• stop hunting.jpg
    stop hunting.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 128
Another triangle being formed. Would get out if it goes own and add to my position if it moves up.

Attachments

• triangle.jpg
    triangle.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 161
Out of my long position and open a short one.

Attachments

• short.jpg
    short.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 160
Run out of quota for losses today so stop loss is at break even.

Attachments

• be.jpg
    be.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 131
Out of the short at break even. Funny that both trades showed a bit of a profit then just went the other way. Should have moved my stop to break even for the first trade as well. But greed intefered :)

But I like Finspreads way of handling orders. I am thinking of using them as my only bookie.

Attachments

• out.jpg
    out.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 144
And now it's going down when I am out. I even have a profit but as my stop loss level is breached, I can't realise it.

Attachments

• profit  but not a real.jpg
    profit but not a real.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 123
  • down for real.jpg
    down for real.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 133
Apart from the 80 point plus fall in the first 75 minutes or so, the DOW had no directions for the rest of the day. The channel was too narrow to make a profit and the breaking out of the channel was a false move.

I will still stick to my tight stop loss to preserve my capital.

Entries can be improved a bit more.

Attachments

• no direction.jpg
    no direction.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 141
I was trying to call BLT's top the other day just to lose 17 points. Now we have the top.

Attachments

• blt.jpg
    blt.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 133
Both of the longs I have on PRU and MKS are still doing well. Not enough to raise stop loss to break even though.

BP is climbing towards 73 level. If history is any guide, it will drop back at least to around 65-66.

Attachments

• bp.jpg
    bp.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 142
hungvir said:
I was trying to call BLT's top the other day just to lose 17 points. Now we have the top.

My opinion on BLT is that, for an EOD trader yesterday's fall was too far, too fast, to chase, especially since it has to go through Tuesday's support. History shows that there will be a pullback towards the high, probably within a day or so.. I would calculate where to put my stop, then wait for the price to riise to a reasonable risk entry point. If it doesn't and you miss it, hard luck, there's always another share.

Splitlink said:
My opinion on BLT is that, for an EOD trader yesterday's fall was too far, too fast, to chase, especially since it has to go through Tuesday's support. History shows that there will be a pullback towards the high, probably within a day or so.. I would calculate where to put my stop, then wait for the price to riise to a reasonable risk entry point. If it doesn't and you miss it, hard luck, there's always another share.

Hi Split,

I put a limit sell order for BLT above its most recent day high the other day. It looks like placing a stop sell below the most recent day low to capture some 15 points intraday seems more sensible.

BLT and other trades made me want to become a buy and hold :) Majority of my trades became winners the instance I was stopped out. But I know there'll be a day when the market really makes its mind up about going up or down and that's why I still trust stop loss (or stop win at the mo :))

Best,

Hung

It's so quiet here today on T2W. Hope you all are enjoying your weekend. And I know there's at least one trader busy dancing at the moment :)

Just read an interesting article in the FT with the title 'Equities pay scant attention to thoughts of bubble territory.'

Interestingly it noted that the first boom in the London stock market dated back to 1691 when money was raised to aid efforts to search for shipwrecked treasure. Some of the brave people were said to have been rewarded £5000 for every £100 invested when a haul of gold was found. That first boom was said to last till 1694, roughly the same length of the current one.

It's a reassuring reading to the bulls as it says there hasn't been a fever of mergers in which companies use their own 'overly-inflated' share price as payment (a warning sign of a bubble boom). And UK equities are trading on roughly 13 times 2006 earnings.

For me the most important thing in it is MKS will issue a trading statement this coming Tuesday. My stop loss is in place but being stopped out was not the reason I longed it :)

Best,

Hung

hungvir said:
It's so quiet here today on T2W. Hope you all are enjoying your weekend. And I know there's at least one trader busy dancing at the moment :)

Just read an interesting article in the FT with the title 'Equities pay scant attention to thoughts of bubble territory.'

Interestingly it noted that the first boom in the London stock market dated back to 1691 when money was raised to aid efforts to search for shipwrecked treasure. Some of the brave people were said to have been rewarded £5000 for every £100 invested when a haul of gold was found. That first boom was said to last till 1694, roughly the same length of the current one.

It's a reassuring reading to the bulls as it says there hasn't been a fever of mergers in which companies use their own 'overly-inflated' share price as payment (a warning sign of a bubble boom). And UK equities are trading on roughly 13 times 2006 earnings.

For me the most important thing in it is MKS will issue a trading statement this coming Tuesday. My stop loss is in place but being stopped out was not the reason I longed it :)

Best,

Hung

Well, according to Sharescope, the MKS EPS is supposed to rise 40% on last year but, looking ahead to the next a 12% growth is forecast. In my book, that makes them fully valued. Looking at the chart, the top was two to three weeks ago and there have been a couple of pullbacks since,

You must feel that the low of 28th March was a trend turn and it might be, but I'm not so sure, although, with figures like that it, probably won't go into a steep decline, either.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Split

Last edited:
A great post by Superfly on the Day Trading forum -"See it Now" thread- Nº 72. Don't miss it!

Split

Thanks, Split. I've just seen it. Quite a good one. The important thing is you have to do as you say.

About MKS, the chart still looks bullish enough.

Attachments

• mks.jpg
    mks.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 108