Diary of a swing spread better

Reuters

I was stopped out of Reuters and thought it meant there had been a change in trend. In fact Reuters is still in a down trend. Should have shorted it again when it began to climb down.

Attachments

• rtr down trend.jpg
    rtr down trend.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 116
London at renewed 5-year high as WPP and Vodafone gain, mks didn't join the party,oh dear chaps its all going pete tong in the diary :eek:
No trading for me this week on holiday wasn't even going online but couldn't resist a few posts :cheesy:
on a brighter note !!!Happy birthday Split!!

Cheers all

Don

:)

don_h said:
London at renewed 5-year high as WPP and Vodafone gain, mks didn't join the party,oh dear chaps its all going pete tong in the diary :eek:
No trading for me this week on holiday wasn't even going online but couldn't resist a few posts :cheesy:

Cheers all

Don

Thanks a lot, Don. Had a great day with the family. Just broken up the dinner party and had a look at the closing prices before bed. Got stopped out of WPP but, what the heck!

Split

Happy Birthday, Split! I assume Don got the news from CNN :)

I'll go on holiday tomorrow till the weekend but will have an update before I go.

Best,

Hung

Yes, Happy Birthday Split! :cheesy:

Hope you've enjoyed your day.

Don't worry you haven't missed much today - it's been extremely quiet.

don_h said:

Cheers all

Don

Not only MKS but PRU as well. (Should I turn them into buys and hod ?:))

Anyway, the drop is mild enough and my stop loss is tight. But given that MKS is reporting today, it's not a good sign.

Enjoy your holiday, Don!

Best,

Hung

Attachments

• mks.jpg
    mks.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 136
  • pru.jpg
    pru.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 129
Yesterday's DOW

The DOW jumped up at the open then went into a trading range before heading for the plunge. I normally can only trade during the last two hours and made just a single point yesterday out of the maximum of eight at one point (equal to Fins' two way spread by the way).

Longed when the DOW jumped out of the red circle and stopped out at the end of the trading day.

Attachments

• dow long.jpg
    dow long.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 143
  • dow april 10.jpg
    dow april 10.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 118
Bp

BP is at that critical level again. As an oil company, no wonder that it goes up as the DOW goes down.

Stop sell at 70.10 and stop loss at 70.61. Profit taking order at 68.60

Attachments

• bp close up.jpg
    bp close up.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 139
  • bp big picture.jpg
    bp big picture.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 113
It turns out Fins just does not offer BP after all. Nothing to be 'excited' about when on holiday then!

Good trading to all,

Hung

Good morning, Hung! Congrats on MKS, I'll bet that's made you happy, almost like having a birthday.

Have you been watching BLT? It has risen above the previous high. What is your take on that? Mine is to leave it alone until it falls and rises again to a failed high. It will happen sooner or later!

My WPP short was a failure and I got stopped. I have decided to have another short on that and opened this morning at 688.8.

Split

Splitlink said:
Good morning, Hung! Congrats on MKS, I'll bet that's made you happy, almost like having a birthday.

Have you been watching BLT? It has risen above the previous high. What is your take on that? Mine is to leave it alone until it falls and rises again to a failed high. It will happen sooner or later!

My WPP short was a failure and I got stopped. I have decided to have another short on that and opened this morning at 688.8.

Split

Hi Split,

Thank you!

Just back from a holiday, a total cut off from the trading/working world :) I can't remember when was the last time I was without the internet for that long. Took my kids to Hythe, Dymchurch ( billed as children's paradise but not really), New/Old Romney then Hasting passing the ancient town of Rye, Wilchelsea, Icklesham, Guestling. My navigator's screen showed blue/green most of the time as I drove along the sea and green fields. Lovely trip.

Trading-wise, I feel less excited about it now and I think that's a good thing. One of the books I've read said trading should even be boring to be successful :?:

Enjoy your weekend and trading!

Best,

Hung

Just watching the DOW at the moment. Even thought the market was closed over there as well. There's not enough money on the table. And not enough time as well.

Attachments

• down.jpg
    down.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 147
As predicted, not much movement in the last 40 minutes or so. I still think the DOW is a buy at the moment. Just.

If tomorrow is a down day and the high-low range is less than 100 points, I'll go long. Risking more than 100 points is not something I am comfortable with.

Attachments

• long term.jpg
    long term.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 148
  • down end of day.jpg
    down end of day.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 153
Out of PRU

All out of the blue, I was stopped out of the PRU while on holiday. I did have the Independent for free at the hotel where I stayed and saw nothing significant about it. But I assume people reacted to the bad news from Standard Life which is in the same industry.

Limit buy order is in again with Fins. I bet the result won't be as good as MKS but still enough for a decent rise. (Don't ask me why - pure fortune-telling :))

And I was a bit greedy when I put my limit sell order for PRU at 750. Had it been at 700, I woud have made some 50 points. The share rose to that level then dropped. Another case of a winning trade becoming a losing one.

Attachments

• cmc orders.jpg
    cmc orders.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 120
  • fins.jpg
    fins.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 176
  • pru.jpg
    pru.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 143
Splitlink said:

Split

Hi Split,

Are you on holiday?!

BLT is still a buy, I would think. But my approach is to wait for two more down days to buy in otherwise, I won't touch it. I only buy if it is a bargain.

Commodities are still the main thing driving the market up and down at the moment. I find it unbelievable that if you hear about oil price rises, you can almost 100 per cent sure that it's a down day for the market.

But overall, people are talking about the FTSE climbing to around 7000 in the next 18-20 months. That's almost a 12 per cent rise. And if you can catch the down swing in between, potential profit is much larger.

Later,

Hung

Attachments

• blt.jpg
    blt.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 152
hungvir said:
Hi Split,

Are you on holiday?!

BLT is still a buy, I would think. But my approach is to wait for two more down days to buy in otherwise, I won't touch it. I only buy if it is a bargain.

Commodities are still the main thing driving the market up and down at the moment. I find it unbelievable that if you hear about oil price rises, you can almost 100 per cent sure that it's a down day for the market.

But overall, people are talking about the FTSE climbing to around 7000 in the next 18-20 months. That's almost a 12 per cent rise. And if you can catch the down swing in between, potential profit is much larger.

Later,

Hung

It's a long time since I've been to the English coast. We haven't been far- just day trips to relatives. Anyway, nice rest.

This morning decided to go into a bank HBOS- bought to open at 936.

Split

Splitlink said:
It's a long time since I've been to the English coast. We haven't been far- just day trips to relatives. Anyway, nice rest.

This morning decided to go into a bank HBOS- bought to open at 936.

Split

Hi Split,

I agree HBOS stands a good chance of going up after quite a drop. Good luck with it. I bank with them and from my experience it's a buy :)

But from the chart, it pierced the recent low made in January.

By the way, BLT made quite a jump this morning. It looks like a fool and his money are soon quadruppled in this market :) And unfortunately I am no fool :)

Best,

Hung

Attachments

• hbos.jpg
    hbos.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 150
  • long list.jpg
    long list.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 132
hungvir said:
As predicted, not much movement in the last 40 minutes or so. I still think the DOW is a buy at the moment. Just.

If tomorrow is a down day and the high-low range is less than 100 points, I'll go long. Risking more than 100 points is not something I am comfortable with.

No pain, no gain. I do not want to risk more than 100 points on any trade and did not gain from today's 200 point plus rise either. That's the problem with trading on a shoestring. In the long run, the inability to trade all the swings may stack the odds against me.

Newswise, an indication from the FED that the rate hike is not here to stay was all that mattered.

Attachments

• dow 200 plus.jpg
    dow 200 plus.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 163